Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Some Ronnie's setlist painting in Litho format for sale!
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 23, 2020 05:01

Just wonderin' ........ what is Geldof good at ?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 23, 2020 05:17

Funny, not in a ha ha, that Ronnie spells it Tumblin', doesn't spell the obvious ones: IORR or YCAGWYW or SFTD or BTMMR etc...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 23, 2020 05:26

Similar to his gaudy/colorful setlist doodle/scribbling, Ronnie's adequate at painting by numbers - making an outline of a pre-existing photo and filling in the blanks.
Of course you have a few fanatical Stones fans who think he's the next Michelangelo, when in reality he's basically doing coloring book art.
My niece recently did a few of those advanced 'color-by-numbers' during this corona lockdown, and while the results are nice (bless her), they're no doubt amateur just like Ronnie's art.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 23, 2020 06:31

Woody Guthrie -- What A Beautiful World ---- 1947

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: June 23, 2020 13:37

I think it's great that Ronnie's setlist paintings are finally being made available to fans. I can't wait to hang one on my wall for a show I attended.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 24, 2020 00:22

ChrisMahavishnu
I think it's great that Ronnie's setlist paintings are finally being made available to fans. I can't wait to hang one on my wall for a show I attended.

smileys with beer
Same.

The animosity (jealousy?) really comes out on a Ronnie art thread.
Mostly from those, like Geldof, who have invested/wasted time studying or attempting art. Art is subjective, I've no problem with those that don't like it, or who find it too expensive etc.
But the personal jabs/insults are beyond an art critique, something clearly gets triggered in some.

So easy to just avoid a subject as opposed to insulting people.
Maybe there's a Taylor/Ronnie element to it.. as in tearing Ronnie down just becomes old habit.

Can't wait for my print cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-24 00:27 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 24, 2020 00:49

Well I can tell you, anyone who thinks they could whip that stuff out without any effort ought to try calligraphy sometime, and do it in permanent marker or similar. It just aint easy. Not at all easy. And Mr Wood (thats how we address proper "artists") has a great sense of color and balance. I quite like especially the Cuba one as I mentioned before. Also the concept is interesting, and it is unique, I don't know of anyone doing anything similar. So, that is more than a lot of artists these days have going for them. And like Bill Wyman with his photography book, why not exploit your surroundings and make something out of it.

Personally, though, I am not going to throw down the coin for one, just cannot justify it. Would love to though...would love to have a signed original for the wall actually.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, this is my opinion and I am more or less sticking to it.

jb

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: June 24, 2020 01:03

I love the Setlists that Ronnie does, and yes they are a bit overpriced - $60-75 would be more inline with other lithos as these are not limited editions. I bought the 3 for the shows I was at and will buy more for other shows I attended - but I do hope he doesn't release to many as its going to get silly expensive. :-)

While we are on the subject of Ronnies paintings - these Setlists are the only Ronnie art I own, and will be buying, as they have some relevance to gigs I was at. What I don't get is paying hundreds/thousands for "Ronnie Art" - Its just a fancy poster - you do not own the actual painting!! Yes it might be limited edition and maybe he has scribbled his name on each one individually but you can get his doodle for free if you bump into him on tour. (Each to their own and yes I spend lots of $$ on some things that other's consider ridiculous.)

My 2c.

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Date: June 24, 2020 01:27

Fair points Richard.

As you point out there are many stones collectibles you have I wouldn't dream of spending $$ on.
In defense of both the cost and quality of the prints/lithos et al, I will say that many are so much more stunning than any poster in person, with depth etc.

As for the prices, like a lot of successful artwork (or collectibles), they hold their value and then some. As time passes that's unlikely to bottom out, and more likely to increase imo. The gift of "Beggars Banquet" I received for ex., I was offered 10k for (in trade or $8k cash) at SFAE (gallery)for something I know the buyer paid no more than a few hundred dollars. Course, I only buy ones that I really like.. and relatively few of them, so the value becomes less important. But like all things in expensive art or collectibles, it is a factor.

Cheers!

Date: June 24, 2020 02:07

I own a signed limited Ronnie print I bought back in 2002 (limited to 600), but truth be told it was mainly because I met and chatted with him at his private opening in Vegas which I was invited to, the price was right, he is a member of the Rolling Stones, my brother convinced me to go for it, and it's a self portrait of him posing with a guitar - just like he does with the Rolling Stones. It certainly wasn't for high quality artistic skills - in fact it's a bit student/amateur looking, but it's a cool souvenir and a nice little piece of rock and roll history. And at least it's not color copies of scribbled setlists done with colorful marking pens that have been overpriced - seems he knows how to take advantage of his status as a member of the Stones, but wondering how many of those will actually sell? Still find it hard to believe he's pricing these unsigned, unlimited color copies of scribbled setlists for more than the actual show lithos themselves which are of a much higher quality art, and are limited and numbered. But again, the fact is he's a member of the Rolling Stones, and people want a part of rock and roll history. As for the print I own, I paid a few hundred dollars including professionally framed, and it has increased quite a bit since, but I'm not selling it - at least not yet anyways.

(image found via google of same print I own, but different number of edition)

I was also sent a personalized thank you note with a caricature scribble self-portrait from Ronnie himself, and have to say I value it more than the actual print itself!
Finally, if creating art keeps Ronnie busy and happy and away from drugs and alcohol, more power to him - at least he has a nice hobby to fill the void.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-24 02:10 by Hairball.

Date: June 24, 2020 02:23

rcfoxy
I love the Setlists that Ronnie does, and yes they are a bit overpriced - $60-75 would be more inline with other lithos as these are not limited editions. I bought the 3 for the shows I was at and will buy more for other shows I attended - but I do hope he doesn't release to many as its going to get silly expensive. :-)

While we are on the subject of Ronnies paintings - these Setlists are the only Ronnie art I own, and will be buying, as they have some relevance to gigs I was at. What I don't get is paying hundreds/thousands for "Ronnie Art" - Its just a fancy poster - you do not own the actual painting!! Yes it might be limited edition and maybe he has scribbled his name on each one individually but you can get his doodle for free if you bump into him on tour. (Each to their own and yes I spend lots of $$ on some things that other's consider ridiculous.)

My 2c.

Yes Richard, clearly overpriced as they're not limited or signed. As for some of the limited edition fine art prints (such as the one I purchased above), they are actual hand pulled silk screened serigraphs where the texture of the ink is practically visible (ala impasto) and they're printed it on extra fine quality paper, unlike the mass produced "lithos" such as these setlists which is basically just a fancy way of calling it a poster on thick paper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-24 02:27 by Hairball.

Date: June 24, 2020 02:46

I cannot argue that is not a very nice looking print, and the bonus is just as nice. Really no comparison to whats on offer here, its in another league altogether. These setlists are more "in the moment" pieces and as such not nearly as striking or intricate.

jb

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 24, 2020 03:36

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-07 19:45 by schillid.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 24, 2020 14:43

if people want it as memorabilia, I get that. I would consider getting Twick if the price were $25 or $30....it's a nice souvenir.

but, as "art?"

No. Words on paper w/ some doodles....that's all I see.

and, I'm sorry...getting the Cuba flag wrong demonstrates a lot...when drawing "reality" an artist should observe reality carefully....unless you are just doodling mindlessly...(which is all I think these are).

if you are drawing the Cuban Flag and putting it up for sale...you should actually look at the flag before you draw it.

Not much thought/time went into these....both at the outset and now that it is going up for sale.

My opinion, nothing more.

Nice piece of memorabilia for some, though....overpriced, IMO.

Date: June 24, 2020 15:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-07 19:44 by schillid.

Date: June 24, 2020 17:02

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-07 19:44 by schillid.

Date: June 24, 2020 18:54

Date: June 24, 2020 19:03

"embarrassing to me as an artist"

Fits in well with my "mostly bothers frustrated (failed) artists" hypothesis cool smiley
Embarrassed as a Stones fan.. An artist with a "hobby" (that sells million dollar paintings).,, literally laughing out loud at both of these omg.

Too much comedy material to sort through in one post, schillid.
Well done!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-24 19:04 by MisterDDDD.

Date: June 24, 2020 19:18

schillid
Now I'm unsure if Ron's continuing attempts to pass this stuff off as art is more embarrassing to me as an artist or as a Stones fan.

You may be being a bit harsh about Ronnie...

Date: June 24, 2020 20:06

schillid
After paying for litho inks and paper, Ronnie should have a few hundred dollars left over...

Maybe he can buy some guitar strings, picks, groceries, etc.

I admire that Ronnie has so much energy for his hobby. Everyone needs a hobby... Especially these days with the pandemic. (Loved the locked-down acoustic YCAGWYW.) But it's not art.

Now I'm unsure if Ron's continuing attempts to pass this stuff off as art is more embarrassing to me as an artist or as a Stones fan.

The fact is, and as the Independent article rightfully pointed out, Ronnie would more than likely be completely unknown for his art if he weren't a rock and roll star. Indeed a nice hobby he has, but as curator Cassie Beadle stated, "the fame of the artist can overshadow any discernible talent" which is clearly true in Ronnie's case. Some people fawn over him and think he's a great artist because he sells some art, but the fact is he sells his art because he's a Rolling Stone and only because of that. Not sure why that's so hard for some people to acknowledge, but when all is said and done, he'll mainly be remembered as a guitar player for the Rolling Stones (and w/the Faces), and a small possibility there might be a footnote that he made some art as a hobby and sold some of it to Rolling Stones fans. It goes without saying that Ronnie and his art will never be mentioned in any art history books, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he's a nice/funny guy whose had a long career as the guitar player who replaced Mick Taylor with the Rolling Stones .

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 29, 2020 15:38

Anyone has received the Lithograph yet?

To buy the button says "preorder"...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 15, 2021 15:34

Just got an email from the store, all of 2018 is available (or will soon be) available...[store.digitalstores.co.uk] - Not signed or numbered but they now have a golden seal !

Another money grab and they couldn't even be bothered to write proper notes for Marseille : [store.digitalstores.co.uk]

"The band’s first show in Germany of 2018 was at Berlin’s Olympiastadion in front of 67,000 fans,the biggest show that year and if you were there you’ll know it was ‘wirklich großartig’..."

So did anyone get their June orders ? What's the quality like ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 15, 2021 16:03

STÜTTGART???
[store.digitalstores.co.uk]

those Brits will never get it. Not every "u" or "o" or "a" is an umlaut

It's called Stuttgart as well it's not Löndön nor Rölling Stönes nor Rönnie Wööd"

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 15, 2021 16:34

slewan
STÜTTGART???
[store.digitalstores.co.uk]

those Brits will never get it. Not every "u" or "o" or "a" is an umlaut

It's called Stuttgart as well it's not Löndön nor Rölling Stönes nor Rönnie Wööd"

[www.shortlist.com]

Date: January 15, 2021 17:10

¿Llamas a esto arte?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 15, 2021 18:02

This, overpriced (£90), crap seems to be flogged under the Rolling Stones brand. How does that affect the brand's reputation?
To answer myself: Not a lot since they are already flogging all sorts of kitsch...

Date: January 15, 2021 18:21

Stoneage
This, overpriced (£90), crap seems to be flogged under the Rolling Stones brand. How does that affect the brand's reputation?
To answer myself: Not a lot since they are already flogging all sorts of kitsch...

Although your concern for the RS brand reputation is touching, there's something for everyone in that store winking smiley

Date: January 15, 2021 18:54

Gotta snag a Cardiff one..
Was a great show... makes for a great souvenir, like he added a seal to these.
Nice that it has Keith's graffiti on it along with the twins. Shows a bit of pre-show levity.

"Since the Stones first visit to Cardiff in 1963; supporting the Everly Brothers they’ve returned eight times including this now legendary gig at the Principality Stadium. From Street Fighting Man to Satisfaction, if you were there you’ll remember it all! This setlist has a ‘Kilroy’ added by Keith in Ronnie’s dressing room before the show."

Date: January 15, 2021 18:58

Lol...this is great news...............

Meanwhile, Neil Young, Dylan, Springsteen, McCartney, and others have actually been making new music for their fans.
Would it really hurt Ronnie to do the same? Forget the Stones (and the wall they hit), I'm thinking some new Ronnie solo material....
Maybe asking too much, and perhaps making color copies of his doodle art actually sells better............eye rolling smiley

Date: January 16, 2021 01:48

>Meanwhile, Neil Young, Dylan, Springsteen, McCartney, and others have actually been making new music for their fans.

From what I have heard, they could have spared the effort and our collective ears and wallets as well.

jb

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home