Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
The lost Rolling Stone: how guitar great Rory Gallagher was airbrushed from rock history
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 15, 2020 15:14

Interesting piece posted on Yahoo re: Rory Gallagher's auditioning for Stones guitarist

[www.yahoo.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-15 15:31 by Sighunt.

Re: The lost Rolling Stone: how guitar great Rory Gallagher was airbrushed from rock history
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 15, 2020 15:46

So regarding Bill Wyman Rory did play /jam while in Rotterdam. Was what he played recorded ?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Re: The lost Rolling Stone: how guitar great Rory Gallagher was airbrushed from rock history
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 15, 2020 17:06

I must agree with Bill Wyman. Tt would have never worked for the said reasons (same goes for Eric Clapton, btw). But it would have certainly interesting if he had had the chande to contribute on one or two songs, like the other guitarists on Black & Blue.

And Rory Gallagher would have been prevented from making those great records back in the late 1970s.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: June 15, 2020 17:18

“Playing Knebworth the following year, he was in such a state that his road crew cut the wires to the speaker system.”

First time that I heard this about Keef or have I missed something?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-15 17:19 by KingmanBarstow.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 15, 2020 17:33

KingmanBarstow
“Playing Knebworth the following year, he was in such a state that his road crew cut the wires to the speaker system.”

First time that I heard this about Keef or have I missed something?

I also noted that. Probably nonsense, as is some other "facts" like Richards was in the throes of cocaine addiction; Mick Taylor had sensationally walked out in the middle of the recording of their Black and Blue album.

"heroin" addiction would have been more correct, and Mick T didn't exactly walk out in "the middle" of recording B&B. But those are nitpicks I guess.

It's funny that they actually considered Steve Marriott as well (if this is correct). That would have been an awful match to Mick and Keith.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: June 15, 2020 20:10

As Bob Geldof noted in an interview- Rory Gallagher is not a sideman. Ronnie Wood is a sideman.(An excellent one) The right guy got the job. (I do recall reading way back when in one of the classic Stones chronicles that it was actually Ian Stewart and Glyn Johns pushing to get Rory in.)
And I suspect any talk of Marriott was just his pal Keith winding Mick Jagger up. Steve was in fact an excellent guitarist but no room for that voice/personality in the confines of the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-15 20:20 by roryfaninva.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 15, 2020 20:52

This was a long time ago from what I remember, but just going from memory, these are the folks who I read auditioned for the Stones guitarist job:

Jeff Beck
Rory Gallagher
Harvey Mandel
Wayne Perkins
Peter Frampton
Steve Marriott
Nils Lofgren
Roy Buchanan
Mick Ronson (?)

Am I missing anybody?

Date: June 15, 2020 20:57

It was a good thing that Rory had his own musical projects to rely on; he did not have to wait until finally Keef woke up to get a job!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: June 15, 2020 22:10

Read a snippet in a Roy Buchanan bio where one of his band said Roy was notorious for making up wild and far-fetched stories about himself including the notion he had been approached by The Stones and it never happened.

Sighunt
This was a long time ago from what I remember, but just going from memory, these are the folks who I read auditioned for the Stones guitarist job:

Jeff Beck
Rory Gallagher
Harvey Mandel
Wayne Perkins
Peter Frampton
Steve Marriott
Nils Lofgren
Roy Buchanan
Mick Ronson (?)

Am I missing anybody?

Date: June 15, 2020 22:49

Chris Spedding :

[recordcollectormag.com]

At the end of the article Chris explains the story.

I have read that Wilco Johnson's name was mentioned too at the time of " the search"; no proof of that.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 15, 2020 23:27

Sighunt
Jeff Beck
Rory Gallagher
Harvey Mandel
Wayne Perkins
Peter Frampton
Steve Marriott
Nils Lofgren
Roy Buchanan
Mick Ronson

I thank the Gods of Rock´N´Roll every night
that Ronnie Wood got the job.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 15, 2020 23:59

Yeah, they got a 'sideman', instead of a soloist, which Ronnie also has to do. He's fine on slide. No one will ever take the music to the next level like Mick Taylor did live. Ronnie stays within the confines, and pretty much carries most of the weight now.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 16, 2020 00:02

I always wished they had chosen Harvey Mandel. He is a great player and a relaxed guy. Having health problems right now though. I wish him the best and it probably would have helped him out greatly in most ways, joining the Stones. And he wouldn't have had a problem with the "sideman" role.

jb

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 16, 2020 00:06

24FPS
Yeah, they got a 'sideman', instead of a soloist, which Ronnie also has to do. He's fine on slide. No one will ever take the music to the next level like Mick Taylor did live. Ronnie stays within the confines, and pretty much carries most of the weight now.

But now I want to study Rory Gallagher. Never heard of him in the states. Last year I got onto Michael Bloomfield, one of the greatest guitarists ever. Who also didn't care about stardom. Bloomfield did however play on some seminal Bob Dylan records and made a couple great albums with Al Kooper. Looking forward to digging into Rory Gallagher.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 16, 2020 00:20

jbwelda
I always wished they had chosen Harvey Mandel. He is a great player and a relaxed guy. Having health problems right now though. I wish him the best and it probably would have helped him out greatly in most ways, joining the Stones. And he wouldn't have had a problem with the "sideman" role.

Somebody in the rhythm section said he used too many "gadgets", haha! I love Harvey Mandel. His playing on Charlie Musselwhite's South Side Band is sublime. His tone is unique, especially for the mid-60's.

As Harvey tells it, Jagger wanted him in the group, which makes sense because he was versatile in all sorts of styles and could play a lot of the different stuff Jagger was into at the time. He said Richards wanted Perkins, so they settled on Wood.

Spedding could hang, and had a cool look that would have worked.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 16, 2020 00:43

TooTough
Sighunt
Jeff Beck
Rory Gallagher
Harvey Mandel
Wayne Perkins
Peter Frampton
Steve Marriott
Nils Lofgren
Roy Buchanan
Mick Ronson

I thank the Gods of Rock´N´Roll every night
that Ronnie Wood got the job.

Me too

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: June 16, 2020 00:51

Rory was awesome. The new release Check Shirt Wizard is a good live document of his talent and passion for playing. The Stones are definitely my favorite band and I love listening to Rory but especially at that point in their careers it would not have worked. Rory was at a very creative point the Stones, Kieth in general were hit and miss.

Date: June 16, 2020 02:22

Rory at least knew one Stones'song:

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 16, 2020 02:52

Mick Taylor in 1973 was a better guitarist than Gallagher.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 16, 2020 03:48

I don't know how exactly one discerns "better guitarist" but you have to remember whoever it might be would have to fit in and be able to deal with the constant touring and especially the sporadic and chaotic recording situation. And on a salary (one would assume).

It would be a big pain for someone not ready for that level of adulation but also having to deal with personalities like the Stones and their international schedule.

It might even be kind of secondary whether they would want whoever might turn out to be the best guitarist, more like a capable guitarist who won't step on others toes and is tough enough to deal with all the touring and all the rest.

I think that's why Ronnie got the nod. He was a known quantity and had years of constant touring under his belt. Getting fed up in the middle of a tour and splitting would not be an option.

jb

Date: June 16, 2020 04:44

Chris spedding also believes that Ronnie was Keith's first choice and Mick picked C.Spedding as his last option as a choice to bring to Keith.Chris knew he had little chance to get the job against Woody.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 16, 2020 09:03

jbwelda
I don't know how exactly one discerns "better guitarist" but you have to remember whoever it might be would have to fit in and be able to deal with the constant touring and especially the sporadic and chaotic recording situation. And on a salary (one would assume).

It would be a big pain for someone not ready for that level of adulation but also having to deal with personalities like the Stones and their international schedule.

It might even be kind of secondary whether they would want whoever might turn out to be the best guitarist, more like a capable guitarist who won't step on others toes and is tough enough to deal with all the touring and all the rest.

I think that's why Ronnie got the nod. He was a known quantity and had years of constant touring under his belt. Getting fed up in the middle of a tour and splitting would not be an option.

jb

You've got it right. All true.

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 16, 2020 09:06

Sighunt

Jeff Beck
Rory Gallagher
Harvey Mandel
Wayne Perkins
Peter Frampton
Steve Marriott
Nils Lofgren
Roy Buchanan
Mick Ronson (?)

Am I missing anybody?

Well, Clapton, unless he didn't actually "audition."

plexi

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 16, 2020 12:28

RonnieWood is a great guitarist and was a good choice, although either Perkins or Mandel would have been fine too.I think that if there has been any decline in the Stones music since 1975,( and there have been some great stuff since then), a lot of it has to do with poor production and Keith’s unwillingness to experiment beyond rhythm and blues.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: June 16, 2020 12:28

24FPS
24FPS

But now I want to study Rory Gallagher. Never heard of him in the states. Last year I got onto Michael Bloomfield, one of the greatest guitarists ever. Who also didn't care about stardom. Bloomfield did however play on some seminal Bob Dylan records and made a couple great albums with Al Kooper. Looking forward to digging into Rory Gallagher.

You're in for a treat then as Rory was amazing!

Particularly in the live arena; if you start with any of the 70s live gigs on YouTube, Rorys passion for playing is all there. He could be really electrifying.

Been going through his catalogue again recently, promoted by the release of the album iggyrichards mentioned above, Check Shirt Wizard. Great stuff indeed.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 16, 2020 12:35

Sighunt

Jeff Beck
Rory Gallagher
Harvey Mandel
Wayne Perkins
Peter Frampton
Steve Marriott
Nils Lofgren
Roy Buchanan
Mick Ronson (?)

Am I missing anybody?

Yes, Ron Wood.

Posted by: slane82 ()
Date: June 16, 2020 12:53

Will probably be taken down soon -- enjoy it while you can:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 16, 2020 13:21

I remember listing to Rory Gallagher's "Tattoo" and "Sinner Boy" albums back in the day. Give those a spin. Also great live material out there.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 16, 2020 13:34

slane82
Will probably be taken down soon -- enjoy it while you can:

[www.youtube.com]

Interesting VIP area...
[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]

Same VIP area in 1969. Note the common mortal breathing next to Keith has to wear a suit and a tie. Some hippies were so snob. Hilarious.

Posted by: slane82 ()
Date: June 16, 2020 13:41

Mike Douglas asked Jimi Hendrix, "What's it like to be the best rock guitarist in the world?" and Jimi responded, "I don't know, you'll have to ask Rory Gallagher".

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1675
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home