Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: The lost Rolling Stone: how guitar great Rory Gallagher was airbrushed from rock history
Posted by: BluesManc ()
Date: June 19, 2020 09:52

Greetings from an Englishman in Chicago; it's lovely to be here. Rory Gallagher is probably one of the greatest blues guitarists from outside the US. However, I don't think that Keith with Rory would have worked for long. One great album and tour, perhaps? As far as I can ascertain, Rory left Rotterdam to go on his own dates and didn't leave the Stones with much choice but to find someone else. I think Rory preferred smaller venues and wouldn't have enjoyed the exposure of being in the Stones.
I bumped into him in a pub in Fulham in 1983. We were both stood at the bar and I recognised him but just mumbled it quietly and told him I'd seen him in Manchester. He proceeded to educate me in the struggles and traditions of the old Bluesmen. Two hours and five pints he talked. He was an absolute gent.
I think it's wonderful to know that the Stones rated him so highly.

Re: The lost Rolling Stone: how guitar great Rory Gallagher was airbrushed from rock history
Posted by: slane82 ()
Date: June 19, 2020 09:58

Another version of the story:

Rory's brother Donal, who was also his manager, explains: "It was January 1975. We'd just finished a tour and we got home to Cork. We got a phone call late at night from a man with a funny accent. He gave his name as Ian Stewart (the Stones' pianist and road manager) and asked if Rory would like to join the band.

"Rory wouldn't take the call. He thought it was a prank. So Ian rang back a second time and asked if Rory would go to Rotterdam to record the album that became Black And Blue.

"So Rory went over and played some sessions, but he was scheduled to go on a Japanese tour and it wasn't easy to pull out. He stayed for a few days and he was asked to go to Keith's hotel room for a chat about joining the band.

"Unfortunately Keith was comatose and Rory spent the night trying to revive him. Morning came and there were none of the other Stones around, so Rory just went to the airport and flew out to Japan."

[www.independent.ie]

Date: June 19, 2020 10:07

«Rory spent the night trying to revive him»

Right... winking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 19, 2020 10:29

Sighunt
This was a long time ago from what I remember, but just going from memory, these are the folks who I read auditioned for the Stones guitarist job:

Jeff Beck
Rory Gallagher
Harvey Mandel
Wayne Perkins
Peter Frampton
Steve Marriott
Nils Lofgren
Roy Buchanan
Mick Ronson (?)

Am I missing anybody?

Incredibly I remember reading that Shuggie Otis had been considered too !

Actually this is from the horse's mouth in 2003 : [youtu.be]
Got a call from Billy Preston fron Amsterdam (Rotterdam ?) !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: June 19, 2020 10:36

Found another source (Bill Wyman):

"Rory stayed two or three days there and played some nice stuff. We had a good time with him, but I think Mick and Keith felt that he wasn't the kind of character that would have fit.

"If he'd have been in the Stones, he wouldn't have been singing and that was one of his strong points. He would have just been playing (guitar) solos... and learning to be subservient to two big egos. I don't think it would have worked."

[www.newshub.co.nz]

Date: June 19, 2020 10:42

Geldof: «Up against Mick and Keith, he would have shot himself»...

Date: June 19, 2020 10:55

Rory gives his own account here -- followed by Bill Wyman:

[ok.ru]

More from Bill: He was an album guy ... we had to have hit records:

[ok.ru]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-19 11:55 by slane82.

Date: June 19, 2020 12:36

You were very lucky to meet him. Was he wearing his check shirt?
..................................................................................
Greetings from an Englishman in Chicago; it's lovely to be here. Rory Gallagher is probably one of the greatest blues guitarists from outside the US. However, I don't think that Keith with Rory would have worked for long. One great album and tour, perhaps? As far as I can ascertain, Rory left Rotterdam to go on his own dates and didn't leave the Stones with much choice but to find someone else. I think Rory preferred smaller venues and wouldn't have enjoyed the exposure of being in the Stones.
I bumped into him in a pub in Fulham in 1983. We were both stood at the bar and I recognised him but just mumbled it quietly and told him I'd seen him in Manchester. He proceeded to educate me in the struggles and traditions of the old Bluesmen. Two hours and five pints he talked. He was an absolute gent.
I think it's wonderful to know that the Stones rated him so highly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-19 12:37 by slane82.

Date: June 19, 2020 13:28

Just like Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher was a class of his own. It never would have worked with the Rolling Stones, at least not with Keith Richards. Not enough room.

Rory Gallagher, Pinkpop 1974. Laundromat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-19 14:21 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: June 19, 2020 13:51

I guess Donal has told this story many times over the years, but the basic details are the same:

[www.youtube.com]

The Japan tour started on January 26th:

[maybeiwill.music.coocan.jp]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-19 13:51 by slane82.

Posted by: BluesManc ()
Date: June 19, 2020 14:20

Nice research.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 19, 2020 16:04

retired_dog
TravelinMan
retired_dog
Then again, much of what I said above about Gallagher could also be said about Mick Taylor when he was on his own. So I would not totally rule out that it could have worked with the Stones around.

BS. Comparing Mick Taylor’s albums to his? Not even close. Taylor touches on way more styles and his first album is one of the best Stones solo efforts there is.

That's not what I said and did. Please read again. My quote is probably a bit unfair to Rory, because his career wasn't the desaster that Taylor's solo career turned into. I just suggested that like the Stones brought out the best in Taylor, it's not unthinkable that they also could have brought out the best in Rory.

I’m saying Taylor moved outside of the “workman style blues” boundaries when he went solo.

“Lacks soul, emotion, imagination, and restraint.” I personally, and certainly many others, don’t feel that way about Taylor. With the Stones or solo.

I suppose that’s why they’re opinions.

Date: June 19, 2020 17:29

retired_dog
... it's not unthinkable that they also could have brought out the best in Rory.

I find this hard to believe. Rory was the kind of player that needed his own band
to shine, and probably never wanted to be limited to the role of a guitarist that had to interact with Keith in order to play a guitar solo or fill every now and then or play the chords strictly. Besides he was a very good singer. He had enough ammunition to do his own thing. Joining the Rolling Stones according to the rules of Jagger and Richards would have killed his own creativity, otherwise he would have woken up Keith with three buckets of cold water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-19 17:32 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 19, 2020 18:01

TheflyingDutchman
Just like Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher was a class of his own. It never would have worked with the Rolling Stones, at least not with Keith Richards. Not enough room.

Rory Gallagher, Pinkpop 1974. Laundromat.
Class of what?Segovia? Mick Taylor in 1973 was better thanBeck.And what Ron Wood does,having to mesh with Keith,holdback from wailing,Beck or Gallagher wouldn’t do better.Infact let’s say Gallagher joined in 1975 the Stones .And let’s say he did what Wood did and was not showboating or wailing away for20 minutes.People would be saying,like they say about Wood being better in the Faces, ,Oh,what happened to his playing.He was so much better as a solo artist

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 19, 2020 18:04

TravelinMan
jbwelda
I always wished they had chosen Harvey Mandel. He is a great player and a relaxed guy. Having health problems right now though. I wish him the best and it probably would have helped him out greatly in most ways, joining the Stones. And he wouldn't have had a problem with the "sideman" role.

Somebody in the rhythm section said he used too many "gadgets", haha! I love Harvey Mandel. His playing on Charlie Musselwhite's South Side Band is sublime. His tone is unique, especially for the mid-60's.

As Harvey tells it, Jagger wanted him in the group, which makes sense because he was versatile in all sorts of styles and could play a lot of the different stuff Jagger was into at the time. He said Richards wanted Perkins, so they settled on Wood.

Spedding could hang, and had a cool look that would have worked.

...and he was right! On "Hand of Fate" he did a great job.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 19, 2020 18:18

TravelinMan
retired_dog
TravelinMan
retired_dog
Then again, much of what I said above about Gallagher could also be said about Mick Taylor when he was on his own. So I would not totally rule out that it could have worked with the Stones around.

BS. Comparing Mick Taylor’s albums to his? Not even close. Taylor touches on way more styles and his first album is one of the best Stones solo efforts there is.

That's not what I said and did. Please read again. My quote is probably a bit unfair to Rory, because his career wasn't the desaster that Taylor's solo career turned into. I just suggested that like the Stones brought out the best in Taylor, it's not unthinkable that they also could have brought out the best in Rory.

I’m saying Taylor moved outside of the “workman style blues” boundaries when he went solo.

“Lacks soul, emotion, imagination, and restraint.” I personally, and certainly many others, don’t feel that way about Taylor. With the Stones or solo.

I suppose that’s why they’re opinions.

Of course these are all opinions.
“Lacks soul, emotion, imagination, and restraint.” I obviously meant his solo work for the large part, not his work with the Stones. I went to many solo gigs and all in all felt that there was not any development whatsover over the years, that he was basically playing the same stuff all the time.

I doubt that Taylor will be remembered for 20 minute aimless rambling on stuff like "Goin' South" - just to mention one extreme.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 19, 2020 18:30

TheflyingDutchman
retired_dog
... it's not unthinkable that they also could have brought out the best in Rory.

I find this hard to believe. Rory was the kind of player that needed his own band
to shine, and probably never wanted to be limited to the role of a guitarist that had to interact with Keith in order to play a guitar solo or fill every now and then or play the chords strictly. Besides he was a very good singer. He had enough ammunition to do his own thing. Joining the Rolling Stones according to the rules of Jagger and Richards would have killed his own creativity, otherwise he would have woken up Keith with three buckets of cold water.

It's definitely hard to believe for all the reasons you mentioned, but not entirely unthinkable. If anything, I don't think it would have lasted for long, maybe for one or two albums and the 1975/1976 tours. It could have been great - or ended in desaster - we'll never know.

Let's not forget the factor that the musical landscape changed considerably in the mid-70's. Unlike 1969, guitar heroes were not essential for a band to survive. With Ronnie the Stones were able to adjust to the times, while Rory since the late 70's began a slow downwards spiral into obscurity.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 19, 2020 19:05

Chris Spedding ....One of the coolest names in rock and roll. He played many dates with Bryan Ferry last year. [chrisspedding.com] So the man is not starving.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: June 19, 2020 19:07

Gazza
slane82
Mike Douglas asked Jimi Hendrix, "What's it like to be the best rock guitarist in the world?" and Jimi responded, "I don't know, you'll have to ask Rory Gallagher".

Did he actually say this or is it (as I suspect) an urban legend?

Considering that by the time Hendrix died, Rory was 22 and had a discography amounting to two studio albums with Taste, I'd find it highly improbable. (edit I see its mentioned in the original article as being an 'apocryphal' quote - so in other words its almost certainly bollocks)

I dont believe for a second from the scores of accounts of this era in the band's history that have been in the public domain for the last few decades, that Rory was ever close to getting the Stones job. His brother Donal has been somewhat prone to exaggerating things over the years to keep the legend alive.

Super musician though and an all round great guy - his studio output has never really made an impression. Only really seemed to do himself justice in a live setting IMO

Hendrix also also supposedly said it about other people including Terry Kath, Phil Keaggy and Billy Gibbons. I think it is just an urban legend.

Date: June 19, 2020 19:17

Gazza
Oh I've no doubt that he auditioned (or at least played with them in Rotterdam). I've just never read from any credible source that he was on the shortlist which seems to have been early on limited to three people - Wood, Perkins and Mandel.

I don't think its a coincidence that when they reconvened in Munich five weeks later to continue working on 'Black and Blue' that those three - and no other guitarists - joined them during the 3 weeks that the sessions lasted.

I am not sure there was a shortlist. Robert A Johnson and Jeff Beck also played on some of the Black & Blue rehearsals as well but their contributions weren't used on the album. I think they just liked playing with different people and when Woody became available they settled on him.

Date: June 19, 2020 19:25

TravelinMan
retired_dog

I am a big fan of Taylor but I think you are giving Rory Gallagher less credit than he deserves. He also played some jazz and folk influenced stuff as well and even played the alto sax on a few cuts with Taste and on his first solo lp.

Date: June 19, 2020 20:50

retired_dog
TheflyingDutchman
retired_dog

It's definitely hard to believe for all the reasons you mentioned, but not entirely unthinkable. If anything, I don't think it would have lasted for long, maybe for one or two albums and the 1975/1976 tours. It could have been great - or ended in desaster - we'll never know.

Let's not forget the factor that the musical landscape changed considerably in the mid-70's. Unlike 1969, guitar heroes were not essential for a band to survive. With Ronnie the Stones were able to adjust to the times, while Rory since the late 70's began a slow downwards spiral into obscurity.

At least Ron Wood was a malleable kind of player. I don't think that he added anything in the 8-tees that Gallagher wasn't able to do. Rory probably would have refused it due to lack of inspiration. But that's just my guess. We will never know indeed.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 19, 2020 20:59

I think MT showed his talent with writing Slow Blues, Giddy Up and Spanish A Minor
I think his two studio records were fantastic and he wasted his talent all those years after the stones and just collaborated with other artists to get by. I do not think Jeff Beck could of wrote a better blues composition then Slow Blues or a better tonal fushion masterpiece like Spanish A Minor. Just my opinionspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: June 19, 2020 21:08

Taylor always a really polished classy blues master with a little jazz tinge. Wood is not technically a virtuoso of any description but has The Rolling Stones feel in spades- the perfect replacement. No one else comes close. I think overall his best musical moments were with The Faces/early 70's Rod. Neither Taylor or Wood played this kind of stuff.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 19, 2020 21:17

OpenG
I think MT showed his talent with writing Slow Blues, Giddy Up and Spanish A Minor
I think his two studio records were fantastic and he wasted his talent all those years after the stones and just collaborated with other artists to get by. I do not think Jeff Beck could of wrote a better blues composition then Slow Blues or a better tonal fushion masterpiece like Spanish A Minor. Just my opinionspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

A pity Jeff Beck and Mick Taylor never played together. Both players are high on my list.

Date: June 19, 2020 21:20

boogaloojef
TravelinMan
retired_dog

I am a big fan of Taylor but I think you are giving Rory Gallagher less credit than he deserves. He also played some jazz and folk influenced stuff as well and even played the alto sax on a few cuts with Taste and on his first solo lp.

I'll have to check it out, thanks. I haven't heard much beyond his live blues stuff, which I enjoy.

Date: June 19, 2020 21:22

OpenG

I mentioned this in another thread, but if he didn't have a recording contract, there really wasn't an easy way for him to record any songs. The expenses back then were great, and with no distribution behind him, what was the point? Throw in his disillusionment with the music industry, and I believe that's why he focused on the sideman/touring aspect of music making.

Date: June 19, 2020 21:28

: The lost Rolling Stone: how guitar great Rory Gallagher was airbrushed from rock history new
Date: June 19, 2020 21:22

OpenG
I think his two studio records were fantastic and he wasted his talent all those years after the stones and just collaborated with other artists to get by. I do not think Jeff Beck could of wrote a better blues composition then Slow Blues or a better tonal fushion masterpiece like Spanish A Minor. Just my opinion

I mentioned this in another thread, but if he didn't have a recording contract, there really wasn't an easy way for him to record any songs. The expenses back then were great, and with no distribution behind him, what was the point? Throw in his disillusionment with the music industry, and I believe that's why he focused on the sideman/touring aspect of music making.

Great Point

Date: June 19, 2020 21:32

: The lost Rolling Stone: how guitar great Rory Gallagher was airbrushed from rock history
Posted by: TheflyingDutchman ()
Date: June 19, 2020 21:17

OpenG
I think his two studio records were fantastic and he wasted his talent all those years after the stones and just collaborated with other artists to get by. I do not think Jeff Beck could of wrote a better blues composition then Slow Blues or a better tonal fushion masterpiece like Spanish A Minor. Just my opinion

A pity Jeff Beck and Mick Taylor never played together. Both players are high on my list.

All these years that's kind of amazing living in that time with all those players MT and JB never played together kind of sad - Its like living next to your neighbor and never seeing them. The only JB mention I ever saw was in Melody Maker - Jeff Beck's quote - did you hear that Mick Taylor left the Stones. I forgot who he was talking to

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 19, 2020 22:26

roryfaninva
Taylor always a really polished classy blues master with a little jazz tinge. Wood is not technically a virtuoso of any description but has The Rolling Stones feel in spades- the perfect replacement. No one else comes close. I think overall his best musical moments were with The Faces/early 70's Rod. Neither Taylor or Wood played this kind of stuff.

[www.youtube.com]

As a long time guitar player myself (playing primarily blues on and off since the age of 15, consider myself to be an intermediate player-certainly no virtuoso by any stretch), I always felt that Wood was a "safe" choice for the Stones (both musical ability and looks wise), but I certainly miss the range and capabilities of Mick Taylor when I hear stuff like the live I'm Free (from Liver Than You'll Ever Be) or Can't Always Get from 1972, or on studio tracks like Time Waits for No One.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-19 22:37 by Sighunt.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1985
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home