Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dutch Stones magazine
Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: June 12, 2020 15:39

Hello, I wrote a magazine exclusively about the connections between the Stones and Holland. A must have for Dutch Stones fans. Also, with something very special for Brian fans to look at, never shown before in public. Part of the profit will go to Dutch Antoni van Leeuwenhoek hospital for cancer treatment. You can personalize your magazine as a gift to a friend (our yourself) with a photo.
Here’s the link:
[www.dcmnt.nl]

Re: Dutch Stones magazine
Date: June 12, 2020 17:45

paulspendel
Hello, I wrote a magazine exclusively about the connections between the Stones and Holland. A must have for Dutch Stones fans. Also, with something very special for Brian fans to look at, never shown before in public. Part of the profit will go to Dutch Antoni van Leeuwenhoek hospital for cancer treatment. You can personalize your magazine as a gift to a friend (our yourself) with a photo.
Here’s the link:
[www.dcmnt.nl]

thumbs up

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 13, 2020 12:35

I'm looking forward

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 13, 2020 13:02

Paul, do you ship outside Europe?

Date: June 13, 2020 15:17

Koen, I will ask the publisher. We can always find a way.

Jumpin Jack Flash Live in Holland with Brian Jones
Posted by: Humf ()
Date: June 13, 2020 22:23

dammit...another double posting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-14 11:50 by Humf.

Date: June 14, 2020 11:47

Double posting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-14 13:41 by Humf.

Date: June 14, 2020 11:48

Paul,
My employer sent me to work in the "Benelux" for 1985-87. I based myself in Amstelveen from which I would sometimes even walk to the city centre. There was a place on the edge of the red light zone that sometimes hosted local bands that were good called The Last Watering Hole. Do you know it? Happy days. I was amused by the loo graffiti in there. A good one was "if you ain't Dutch, you ain't much" ...I added "If you ain't Brit, you are sh1t" to enter into the spirit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-14 13:50 by Humf.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: June 14, 2020 13:53

Ordered a copy !

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: June 14, 2020 16:17

@ Humf : It was called The Last Waterhole, in an alley at the Warmoesstraat in Amsterdam ( Oudezijds Armsteeg ). It was owned by the Hells Angels, they did the security. It's gone by now, and The Last Waterhole moved to the Leidseplein ( main touristic bar square in Amsterdam ), we used to have fanclubdays there on Sundayafternoons, from The Forty Licks Fanclub.

Nice place indeed !

Date: June 14, 2020 18:03

Paul,
Yes of course it was the Last Water Hole...what was I thinking. I had forgotten about the Angels, but you remind me I used to play darts with a Hell's Angel from Reading who was a perfect gent on the run from some gang he had annoyed. Whether he was attached to some local gang I have no idea (you don't ask), good bloke anyway who probably thought it good cover to rub shoulders with a hip bloke in publishing (i.e unlikely to be involved in his stuff).

While you are checking your thread, since I asked on another thread where it is probably buried in the rabbit warren :
do you have a link to the Youtube of an alleged live performance of JJF in Holland with Brian Jones still in the line-up. The poster who mentioned it here on IORR some years back said it sounded much more interesting and "guitar heavy" than the released single which was in 1968. Perhaps it was for Dutch TV as I understood the last tour they did with that line-up was in 1967.

Date: June 14, 2020 20:02

Thanks Lien!

Date: June 14, 2020 20:08

Hump, thank you for your kind posts and the memories you cherish from that period.
About JJF being recorded in Holland in 1967: it’s more or less like saying we put a man on the moon in 1968. As far as I know the Stones landed in 1967 in Holland, played their gig at Den Bosch and left. There’s no trace as far as I know of the Stones recording in Holland.

Date: June 15, 2020 02:02

Sorry @rollingrichard, I mistook your reply as coming from Paul with whom I was trying to straighten out a report of some mythical 1968 Stones gig in Holland. It was either on here or timeisonourside.com about a rather different guitar emphasis in the version of JJF they played there, with a more prominent Jones guitar featured.I wondered whether whoever described it was a regular here.

Anyway thanks for pinpointing the old Last Waterhole venue, we are indeed talking about the same place. Apart from German junkies lurking around the central station area in the late 1980s, the area was lively and pleasant. I hope it still is. I had entirely forgotten about an Angel presence. They must have been discrete. The bloke I would always meet up with for darts was an exiled Reading Angel, so it makes sense that he'd have been there.

Date: June 15, 2020 10:26

The area is still lively and pleaseant, I get there every Friday. A bit too lively it was maybe, with loads of noisy and drunk English party people dressed up like fools.

Now with the corona, it's totally different : very quit as the bars use the 1.5 meter distance, hardly any tourists, and as the girls are no longer allowed to work at the windows.

Time will tell, how it will end up.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 15, 2020 12:51

Humf
Paul,
My employer sent me to work in the "Benelux" for 1985-87. I based myself in Amstelveen from which I would sometimes even walk to the city centre. There was a place on the edge of the red light zone that sometimes hosted local bands that were good called The Last Watering Hole. Do you know it? Happy days. I was amused by the loo graffiti in there. A good one was "if you ain't Dutch, you ain't much" ...I added "If you ain't Brit, you are sh1t" to enter into the spirit.

This one ...

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 15, 2020 13:10

The Last Waterhole

I knew this place in the early and mid seventies. It was a youth hostel with a bar and discotheque and live music evenings. Originally it was called Old Bakery and in 1977 changed its name to Last Waterhole. Finally the building Oudezijds Armsteeg 12-14 - in one of the oldest parts of town - was torn down and the whole once rather filthy alley rebuilt into a calm semi-residential neighbourhood. There is a facebook page: The Original Last Waterhole.

This is a pic of the alley in 1980:

And here it is in 2011:

d.f

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-15 14:18 by dead.flowers.

Date: June 15, 2020 14:01

Nice pics, beautiful ! De Prael is still there, you can taste and try all kinds of beer there. And they also work with disabled employees as well. A good company !

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 15, 2020 18:11

rollingrichard
@ Humf : It was called The Last Waterhole, in an alley at the Warmoesstraat in Amsterdam ( Oudezijds Armsteeg ). It was owned by the Hells Angels, they did the security. It's gone by now, and The Last Waterhole moved to the Leidseplein ( main touristic bar square in Amsterdam ), we used to have fanclubdays there on Sundayafternoons, from The Forty Licks Fanclub.

Nice place indeed !

Are you sure about the Hells Angels owning the Last Waterhole? I spent many a nights there, some of which I even remember. But I have never seen any Angels. The Last Waterhole was actually a youth hostel with a bar where you could buy drugs, and in the weekends they had live music on the small stage.

There used to be a horrible steakhouse next to the Waterhole where sometimes Angels would eat, I believe the owner had some affiliation with the Angels. And of course 50 meters down the road there is Cafe Excalibur, which is or was owned by the Angels, and back in the 90's really the last place to go to if you were not an Angel.

Mathijs

Date: June 16, 2020 13:36

Paul

About JJF being ‘recorded ‘in Holland
Whoever made that comment on the more chunky twin guitar-heavy version of JJF said it was performed in Holland, not recorded.
They may have got the country wrong although I swear the Paradiso or Melkweg was mentioned.
The only venue I know of where it was performed shortly after or concomitantly with its release was at the Wembley stadium, London in 1968. I’ve searched on Youtube for that and found nothing so far. The description sounded interesting with the 2 chunkier guitars bouncing off and complementing each other. I doubt that BJ was as completely wasted in 1968 as KR’s biog made him out to be.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 16, 2020 14:40

Will this ship to usa ??

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 16, 2020 15:39

Humf
Sorry @rollingrichard, I mistook your reply as coming from Paul with whom I was trying to straighten out a report of some mythical 1968 Stones gig in Holland. It was either on here or timeisonourside.com about a rather different guitar emphasis in the version of JJF they played there, with a more prominent Jones guitar featured.I wondered whether whoever described it was a regular here.

Anyway thanks for pinpointing the old Last Waterhole venue, we are indeed talking about the same place. Apart from German junkies lurking around the central station area in the late 1980s, the area was lively and pleasant. I hope it still is. I had entirely forgotten about an Angel presence. They must have been discrete. The bloke I would always meet up with for darts was an exiled Reading Angel, so it makes sense that he'd have been there.

Perhaps you are referring to a Dutch live radio broadcast of Willem van Kooten (Joost den Draaijer) from the 1968 NME awards. He reports from the NME and you hear a band playing in the background. Then the studio version of JJF is played. A recording of this radio show was bootlegged with JJF mistakenly referred to as being live.

Mathijs

Date: June 16, 2020 15:45

Humf
Paul

About JJF being ‘recorded ‘in Holland
Whoever made that comment on the more chunky twin guitar-heavy version of JJF said it was performed in Holland, not recorded.
They may have got the country wrong although I swear the Paradiso or Melkweg was mentioned.
The only venue I know of where it was performed shortly after or concomitantly with its release was at the Wembley stadium, London in 1968. I’ve searched on Youtube for that and found nothing so far. The description sounded interesting with the 2 chunkier guitars bouncing off and complementing each other. I doubt that BJ was as completely wasted in 1968 as KR’s biog made him out to be.

They didn't perform JJF on the 1967 euro-tour. It wasn't written yet, I presume.

And it wasn't Wembley stadium, but rather Wembley Empire Pool - where they supposedly played it on the NME Concert 1968.

Unfortunately, there is no bootleg with sound circulating, but here's the silent footage.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: June 16, 2020 22:00

rollingrichard
The Last Waterhole moved to the Leidseplein ( main touristic bar square in Amsterdam ), we used to have fanclubdays there on Sundayafternoons, from The Forty Licks Fanclub.

Nice place indeed !

This place at Leidseplein is now called "The Waterhole",
and what a great IORR/Shidobee-night we had there on 29 sept 2017 :-)

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: June 20, 2020 01:29

Received it today.
Nice magazine, fun having your own name on the cover and with a photo of yourself inside, but it's only 40 pages, a couple of photo's I immediately recognized from old newspapers. It was not well packed in a very thin envelope.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home