Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
SHM-CD Vault from LA 1975 and Hampton 1981
Posted by: saskiahidde ()
Date: June 10, 2020 20:42

Re: SHM-CD Vault from LA 1975 and Hampton 1981
Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: June 10, 2020 21:08

smiling bouncing smiley Japanese know how to make CDs. Is the second LA Forum the video soundtrack? Or just a new (hopefully better) mix?

Buying the old mix on shm makes no sense at all.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 10, 2020 22:00

glimmertwin1

Is the second LA Forum the video soundtrack? Or just a new (hopefully better) mix?

UICY-79174/5: LA Forum (Live in 1975) 2014 Bob Clearmountain Mix [SHM-CD] - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] .

UICY-79176/7: LA Forum (Live in 1975) New Mix Version [SHM-CD] - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] .

Both are the recordings from July 13th, 1975.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 10, 2020 22:30

SHM, for those unfamiliar, refers to Super High Material. I'm not a techie or audiophile, but here's what little I know. These CDs, manufactured in Japan, are supposedly made of a better (super high) material, that 'can result' in better sound. They can be played on pretty much any CD player.
Many go out of print, and fetch good $ on eBay. (Bowie being a good example).
I've bought a few, and some sound better, more dynamic than others. But they are always really nicely packaged, with extra Japanese inserts and so on. More for the collector, than the casual listener IMO.
CDJapan is a good source for them - I've bought from them a few times, and service and shipping is great. Otherwise, Ebay or other sites.
I was listening again the other day to my SHM of Hendrix Electric Ladyland, and it's stunning. I followed up with an SHM of Who's Next which was less impressive sonically. (Both classic A+ albums).
They've done a number of Stones SHMs - many still readily available. Again, in my opinion, they are well worth checking out. Buy one - see if you can hear the difference. But an SHM really has nothing to do with the Mix (although of course, you could look to see which Mix/version of the album the SHM is based on). My two yen.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 11, 2020 01:19

No offense meant, but this: "These CDs, manufactured in Japan, are supposedly made of a better (super high) material, that 'can result' in better sound" sounds like complete and utter BS. There has to be more to it than that. Probably remaster and/or remix for the medium that might result in some sonic improvement.

A "super high" material indeed.

Again, not picking on you, but that sounds like sonic puffery to me. And there has been plenty of that over the years, its true.

thanks
jb

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 11, 2020 01:54

I just wish we could have all Stones albums from Sticky Finger on in Blu Ray audio. Unless someone can explain to me how SHM is better sonically than Blu Ray, which is superb.

Date: June 11, 2020 13:10

24FPS

I just wish we could have all Stones albums from Sticky Finger on in Blu Ray audio.

You could try SACD (better than BR-Audio):

Sticky Fingers - [www.CDJapan.co.jp] , [Store.AcousticSounds.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Exile on Main St. - [www.CDJapan.co.jp] , [Store.AcousticSounds.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Goats Head Soup - [www.CDJapan.co.jp] , [Store.AcousticSounds.com] , [www.jpc.de]

It's Only Rock 'n Roll - [www.CDJapan.co.jp] , [Store.AcousticSounds.com]

Black and Blue - [www.CDJapan.co.jp]

Some Girls - [www.CDJapan.co.jp] , [Store.AcousticSounds.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Emotional Rescue - [www.CDJapan.co.jp]

Tattoo You - [www.CDJapan.co.jp] , [Store.AcousticSounds.com]

Undercover - [www.CDJapan.co.jp]

Dirty Work - [www.CDJapan.co.jp]

There're no SACDs beyond DW. For SW, VL, B2B, ABB would already be CD-Quality sufficient due to the digital recording sources. B&L is available as HiRes-Download, e.g. [www.Qobuz.com] , [www.HighResAudio.com] .

A good Stereo-SACD/CD/USB/Network-Player: Technics SL-G700 - [www.Technics.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-11 16:00 by Irix.

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: June 11, 2020 13:19

These Japanese SACD are absolutely superb !

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 11, 2020 13:36

jbwelda
No offense meant, but this: "These CDs, manufactured in Japan, are supposedly made of a better (super high) material, that 'can result' in better sound" sounds like complete and utter BS. There has to be more to it than that. Probably remaster and/or remix for the medium that might result in some sonic improvement.

Again, not picking on you, but that sounds like sonic puffery to me. And there has been plenty of that over the years, its true.

thanks
jb
This is a tricky question.

It was advertised that CDs that are pressed using SHM material would contain lower number of defects. The pits supposed to be better shaped, the reflection layer supposed to withstand corrosion over the years. As a result, the CD will play smoothly and player's error correction mechanism will not be involved that often as for the regular polycarbonate/aluminium redbook CD. Surely, the effect will be only heard on high-end equipment. And one can even use term - possibly, but not surely.

The other issue is mastering. If the digital content is compressed and brickwalled to death - nothing will improve the sound. That UM 2009 remaster of The Rolling Stones catalog will not sound any better on SHM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-11 14:04 by ironbelly.

Date: June 11, 2020 13:55

ironbelly

It was advertised that CDs that are pressed using SHM material would contain lower number of defects. The pits supposed to be better shaped, the reflection layer supposed to withstand corrosion over the years. As a result, the CD will play smoothly and player's error correction mechanism will not be involved that often as for the regular polycarbonate/aluminium redbook CD. Surely, the effect will be only heard on high-end equipment. And one can even use term - possibly, but not surely.

The next try was UHQ-CD (with Photopolymer instead of Polycarbonate to replicate the Pits) - [Forums.SteveHoffman.tv] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-11 14:20 by Irix.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 11, 2020 14:05

Irix

The next try was UHQ-CD (with Photopolymer instead of Polycarbonate to replicate the Pits) - [Forums.SteveHoffman.tv] .
Correct, but will an average person with mid-range equipment hear all those differences? winking smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 11, 2020 14:29

Where can I buy the Hampton Concert CD or playlist (Japanese)?

Date: June 11, 2020 14:55

Chris Fountain

Where can I buy the Hampton Concert CD or playlist (Japanese)?

For instance here: [www.Amazon.com] , [www.jpc.de] , [www.CDJapan.co.jp] .

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 11, 2020 15:12

Thanks Irix!

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: June 11, 2020 15:13

Irix
A good SACD/CD/USB/Network-Player: Technics SL-G700 - [www.Technics.com] .

”Super Audio CD (2 ch area only)”
So, the Technics won’t play 5.1 sacd’s?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 11, 2020 16:52

Several years ago, I purchased a few Led Zeppelin cardboard sleeve reissues in the high-fidelity SHM-CD format. I have a very high end audio system. I spent a couple days comparing the SHM versions to other Zeppelin CDs I have collected, and to my ears, I did not think there were pronounced/significant differences in sound quality with the SHM versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-11 16:57 by Sighunt.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 11, 2020 16:53

jbwelda

thanks
jb

Hello,
It is no bullshit at all. These Japanese SHM-CD do sound better. Of course, you will need an above average sound system at home to enjoy the sonic upgrade.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: June 11, 2020 17:17

I will be curious to see what the New Mix Version turns out to be, Would be nice if it ends up being an alternative show to the CDs released with the previous release.

Date: June 11, 2020 17:30

ChrisMahavishnu

Would be nice if it ends up being an alternative show to the CDs released with the previous release.

New Mix Version: "New mix of live recordings from July 13th" - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] .

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: June 11, 2020 21:45

An audiophile mix would be nice.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 11, 2020 21:47

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 11, 2020 22:21

Rockman

Superdeluxeedition hasn't got any additional source to the ones we have. I still have some hope for an alternate show

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: March 12, 2023 13:51

How are the “new mix” Japan versions and who did those remixes? Bob Clearmountain or someone else?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: March 12, 2023 14:10

Mabru
How are the “new mix” Japan versions and who did those remixes? Bob Clearmountain or someone else?

Old mix was from Bob Clearmountain, new mix by Sam Wheat, who did the mix for the DVD Show too. I prefer Sam Wheat mix for this one. There's another thread discussing the new mix.

Date: March 12, 2023 14:10

Mabru

How are the “new mix” Japan versions and who did those remixes?

Sam Wheat - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Date: March 12, 2023 19:15

Back in the 80's I started buying vinyl Japanese pressings. I found the sound superior to the American albums I already owned.

More recently I found the same is true with the CD's. The sound is improved, has more depth and better overall sound. You definitely hear things you do not hear or the cheaper pressings.

I agree with the previous comments that the SHM CD's do sound better. You will not notice the difference unless you have a good audio system,

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 12, 2023 19:43

marquess
jbwelda

thanks
jb

Hello,
It is no bullshit at all. These Japanese SHM-CD do sound better. Of course, you will need an above average sound system at home to enjoy the sonic upgrade.

I understand that there's a sonic upgrade with blu ray audio, and sacd, but as far as SHM I've never heard that. I don't believe that is accurate.

And as I'm sure ironbelly will agree, if in doubt buy the vinyl!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-12 19:49 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: March 12, 2023 20:00

Thnx for the info!!

Date: March 12, 2023 21:30

georgemcdonnell314

I agree with the previous comments that the SHM CD's do sound better.

Maybe this comes more from the 2011 flat transfers of the studio albums (primarily used for the SACDs at that time) than from the Super High Material (SHM) which is used for the molding of the CDs?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 12, 2023 22:37

Irix
georgemcdonnell314

I agree with the previous comments that the SHM CD's do sound better.

Maybe this comes more from the 2011 flat transfers of the studio albums (primarily used for the SACDs at that time) than from the Super High Material (SHM) which is used for the molding of the CDs?

Agreed. You have to compare apples to apples.

In anything I've read the benefit to SHM is that there are fewer errors and they last longer than normal CDs. I don't even know if that's actually true but hey, why couldn't it be.

But as far as sonic range and such, its SACD and blu ray audio that have a higher frequency range so more information gets stored, so that of course means for a higher quality audio experience, assuming you are comparing the same masters.

I don't know whether Blu Ray Audio or SACD/SHM combo's are the better buy but maybe someone wiser can weigh in on that/

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1425
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home