Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: SHM-CD Vault from LA 1975 and Hampton 1981
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 13, 2023 01:27

Has SONY ever said what medium they consider to be better since they developed both SACD and bluray?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 13, 2023 08:09

I have a number of SHM CDs at this point. Some of them are incredible, but I don't think they beat Blu Ray audio discs. I don't anything beats Exile on Blu Ray. SHM CDs sound as good as you're going to find on regular CDs. I have Electric Ladyland on SHM CD, and indeed it sounds great. However, the best I've heard, and this applies to Abbey Road as well, is the Atmos Dolby mixes.

The new mix for GHS on SHM CD is fantastic. It changes the listening experience and creates a different appreciation for it. I have Through The Past Darkly on SHM CD and it sounds as good as those recordings are going to sound, but there's no WOW factor. Now CSNY's Greatest Hits on SHM CD are sublime. And Jimi Hendrix' first album (U.K. edition) not only sounds great, you get more cuts than the skimpy U.S. version.

I got Steel Wheels on SHM CD and it's not that interesting. I understand now that I should have got the flat transfer version. Same with Steely Dan's AJA. The version I have is competent, but uninspiring. I understand there are better versions. You can tell them by the UIC numbers.

They are all as good, and often better, some much better, as any CD release. Led Zepellin 1 is mindblowing.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 13, 2023 12:15

DGA35

Has SONY ever said what medium they consider to be better since they developed both SACD and bluray?

No - and they probably never will, because both have technically different approaches.

The topic of DSD vs. HiRes-PCM (the audio formats of SACD vs. BR) is as old as both coexist. It depends on the audio material: sometimes DSD is the better storage format, sometimes PCM (confirmed by many recording engineers worldwide). This is also the case with Stones recordings, as Miles Showell of Abbey Road Studios wrote about his 2018 half-speed masterings. With high-end headphones, you can even hear the subtle difference between 2.8MHz/1bit DSD vs. 176kHz/24bit or 192kHz/24bit PCM (ABKCO 2002 DSD remastered series or 2016 Mono-Box). ABKCO Chief Audio Engineer Teri Landi: "Once the master tapes were used to transfer the music, that music was then converted to DSD 2.8MHz for mastering. Why not PCM? 'DSD most closely mirrors analogue in the digital world,' said Landi. 'We really wanted to master in DSD, 24bit/192kHz just wasn’t close enough'." - [TheAudiophileMan.com] .

Date: March 13, 2023 12:20

24FPS

I don't anything beats Exile on Blu Ray.

Except the 2011 SHM-SACD (UIGY-9081) - and of course the original 1972 master tape.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 13, 2023 20:38

Irix
24FPS

Except the 2011 SHM-SACD (UIGY-9081) - and of course the original 1972 master tape.

I missed getting Let It Bleed and Exile when they first came out on Blu Ray and have regretted that decision. I did buy GRRR! on blu-ray and that is fairly revelatory. For me I remember the standout cut was Little Red Rooster. Just fabulous.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: March 13, 2023 21:01

treaclefingers

I missed getting Let It Bleed and Exile when they first came out on Blu Ray and have regretted that decision. I did buy GRRR! on blu-ray and that is fairly revelatory. For me I remember the standout cut was Little Red Rooster. Just fabulous.

[www.fnac.com]

Date: March 13, 2023 21:12

Irix
24FPS

Have you heard Blu Ray Exile on a five speaker (actually six with the middle channel) surround sound? It sounded like they were doing it live in my living room. I have not heard UIGY 9081. Nor have I sat down with the 1972 master tape on a good Teac reel to reel. Have you?

Date: March 13, 2023 21:16

treaclefingers
Irix
24FPS

Let It Bleed, for whatever reason, doesn't get great reviews on Blu Ray. If you're interested Ebay has one on sale for $39 USD. I won't get it because I think the 2002 SACD version is fantastic on its own.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 13, 2023 21:24

24FPS
Irix
24FPS

Have you heard Blu Ray Exile on a five speaker (actually six with the middle channel) surround sound? It sounded like they were doing it live in my living room. I have not heard UIGY 9081. Nor have I sat down with the 1972 master tape on a good Teac reel to reel. Have you?
According to the reports on Steve Hoffman's music forum Exile bluray is converted to PCM and downsampled to 24-bit/192kHz version of 2011 SHM-SACD (UIGY-9081). Original SHM-SACD, as you understand, was made as DSD 1 bit/2.8MHz audio. Those DSD files were made as a flat transfer of the original master tape. Although, there is no consensus on the matter because some believed that it was not the original master tape but rather equalized master for LP production because SHM-SACD rather show similarities in terms of tonality/equalization to old CBS CD but not to Virgin 1994.

Date: March 13, 2023 21:25

Let It Bleed as Japanese BR-Audio is also for sale here - [iorr.org] - (shipping only within EU).

The DSD files of the 50th anniversary TSMR, BB, LIB are still available on Japanese [www.e-onkyo.com] , [www.e-onkyo.com] , [www.e-onkyo.com] . 2002 LIB as well: [www.e-onkyo.com] .

But it can only purchased within Japan due to licensing restrictions - maybe a Japanese 'proxy buyer' could help too in this case. BB 50th in DSD is also available at [www.HighResAudio.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-14 11:50 by Irix.

Date: March 13, 2023 21:30

24FPS

Have you heard Blu Ray Exile on a five speaker (actually six with the middle channel) surround sound?

No. Just stereo (from SACD) via high-end headphones which have a wide (almost holographic) soundstage. Btw: the 2013 BluRay-Audio is also stereo only (2.0) as printed on the rear cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-14 12:05 by Irix.

Date: March 13, 2023 21:35

ironbelly

According to the reports on Steve Hoffman's music forum Exile bluray is converted to PCM and downsampled to 24-bit/192kHz version of 2011 SHM-SACD (UIGY-9081).

My original EOMS BluRay-Audio from 2013 is PCM Stereo 96kHz/24bit. The studio albums Platinum SHM-CDs re-released end of 2013 (e.g. UICY-40001) are also just downsamples of the 2011 DSD flat transfers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-13 22:45 by Irix.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 15, 2023 00:43

Irix
24FPS

Have you heard Blu Ray Exile on a five speaker (actually six with the middle channel) surround sound?

No. Just stereo (from SACD) via high-end headphones which have a wide (almost holographic) soundstage. Btw: the 2013 BluRay-Audio is also stereo only (2.0) as printed on the rear cover.

Discussed 20 years ago, but the Sympathy For The Devil hybrid SACD single has a 5.1 version which is awesome.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 15, 2023 01:22

DGA35
Irix
24FPS

Discussed 20 years ago, but the Sympathy For The Devil hybrid SACD single has a 5.1 version which is awesome.

yeah, love that SFTD.

And for everyone that posted the LIB links, thanks! I was aware you could still buy it but not for the price when it came out of course, which was around 15 euros. I'm not up for over spending on it, don't need it that bad. Just was lamenting that I knew better at the time and probably should have bought both Exile and LIB when I bought GRRR on blu ray.

Date: March 15, 2023 22:36

treaclefingers
DGA35
Irix
24FPS

You can still get it for $39 USD. I think that is, or close to, the original price. There are three options on the EOMS Blu Ray. One is DTS Master Audio with 96khz.

yeah, love that SFTD.

And for everyone that posted the LIB links, thanks! I was aware you could still buy it but not for the price when it came out of course, which was around 15 euros. I'm not up for over spending on it, don't need it that bad. Just was lamenting that I knew better at the time and probably should have bought both Exile and LIB when I bought GRRR on blu ray.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1281
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home