Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Will Brown Sugar ever be played live again ?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 11, 2020 14:36

... and Europe. And elsewhere!
In South bloody Korea people felt the need to demonstrate their support to the current demonstrations. What's next for them? Apologizing for the crimes of slave trading [which - I feel compelled to add - never took place in Korea].

Date: June 11, 2020 14:45

dcba
... and Europe. And elsewhere!
In South bloody Korea people felt the need to demonstrate their support to the current demonstrations. What's next for them? Apologizing for the crimes of slave trading [which - I feel compelled to add - never took place in Korea].

There are other ways of systemic racism than slave trading..

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 11, 2020 14:57

Green Lady
I'm sorry to find that the road I live in, the pub on the corner of my High Street and the primary school I attended are all named after somebody on the renamers' hit list. Not a slave trader, but someone who held the catch-all "racist views", so nothing else he ever did now matters at all.

You & I hail from a similar part of the world Green Lady (SW London Town), so might I ask who this individual on the "renamers' hitlist" is ? Or would it not be appropriate to mention names ? In today's climate, I am beginning to wonder if it is OK to open one's mouth and express any kind of a view about anything whatsoever ... it seems to me that the world is entering a very peculiar "don't think for yourself, we will tell you what to think" type of a phase !? Loosely translated as: "f***ed if you do, equally f***ed if you don't !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 11, 2020 14:59

If only the Rolling Stones would play ... sigh !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: June 11, 2020 15:26

paulywaul
If only the Rolling Stones would play ... sigh !!

Good call!thumbs up A more pertinent title to this thread may have been Will anything ever be played live again...?

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 11, 2020 16:11

When you have a single, horrific incident like the George Floyd killing caught on video that causes so much outrage to humanity, you can expect (at least for the foreseeable future), that the pendulum will swing hard towards rectifying and/or righting perceived wrongs (whether it be out of political correctness) like tearing down confederate statues, banning confederate flags from NASCAR races, pulling Gone With The Wind by HBO Max over racist depictions, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-11 16:17 by Sighunt.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 11, 2020 16:29

In 2020, there shouldn't be confederate statues unless they're in a museum. A concern though is that a symbolic change, like removing the statues, will be used as a substitute for the substantive reform that needs to take place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-11 16:43 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 11, 2020 17:10

Nelson spent large parts of his early career in the West Indies, and married the daughter of a plantation family on the island of Nevis. To quote Wikipedia:
"While Nelson was in the Caribbean, he developed an affinity with the slave owners there. He believed that the islands' economies relied heavily on the Atlantic slave trade and attempted to use his influence to thwart the abolitionist movement in Britain."

So not a slaver, but a friend and defender of slave owners. This is not an admirable part of his character, but is it enough to justify removing all monuments to a very significant (and in other ways much admired) figure in British history?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 11, 2020 17:23

dcba

And where do you stop after you started cleaning the past?

The answer is "you can't stop".
Now BLM want to remove Baden Powell's statues.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 11, 2020 18:16

ryanpow
In 2020, there shouldn't be confederate statues unless they're in a museum. A concern though is that a symbolic change, like removing the statues, will be used as a substitute for the substantive reform that needs to take place.

Since already here they should stay such as the Christopher Columbus statues that are currently being vandalized or destroyed , which is illegal. If churches are being destroyed there is no end in sight.

I actually think statues are self-serving and a huge waste of money. However, let's not tear up things just to be mean. I'm not saying you are advocating these actions and reform is a very good idea,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-11 18:20 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 11, 2020 18:43

It is a self destructive, stupid and dangerous development in western societies to demonize the own past and to reduce it to negative things. Another idiocy is judging people from the past by moral standards of the present.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 11, 2020 18:43

Green Lady

So not a slaver, but a friend and defender of slave owners. This is not an admirable part of his character, but is it enough to justify removing all monuments to a very significant (and in other ways much admired) figure in British history?

No, it absolutely isn’t. This is all so surreal.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 11, 2020 18:44

Maybe only this version (by doitywoik)

The 21st century version, adapted to present-day phraseology, might go something like this:

Ghana coast forced unpaid migrant labourer ship bound for cotton-processing sites
Assigned employment via the labour recruitment centre down in New Orleans
Dermatologically challenged elderly manpower procurement officer knows he lives up to his capabilities
Experience him engaging in female-workforce-targeted motivational training routines past regular office hours ...
(see: [iorr.org])

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-11 18:48 by slewan.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 11, 2020 19:07

Big Al
EddieByword
Just out of curiosity, what does your wife think?

We’re estranged at the moment!

No, we are in contact and I was intended to chat with her about this. She’s South African and fled apartheid with her mother and sister in the late 80’s. I would say that she is a person with a strong understanding of race and prejudice. I suspect she’ll see the pulling-down of statues as vandalism, but her heart will undoubtedly be with the cause. She’s quite a racially-aware person, so I’m sure her overall views are strong and formed on the issue. In regards to Brown Sugar: I genuinely don’t think she paid attention to the lyrics. She liked wearing my Rolling Stones t-shirts.

The above would be her view, but I also have black male and female friends who couldn’t give a hoot about any of this!

Cheers Al, so, apartheid - so, your wife had legalised racism first hand..............I get the picture........thumbs up

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 11, 2020 19:07

I live in a rural area of South Georgia, USA. Our population is about 50-50 with a few Asians and Hispanics.

Race is rarely an issue here. DON'T believe the news and think this is representative of all of America. Most people treat others the way they would like to be treated.

A few bad eggs ruin it for everyone - isn't that always the case?

Date: June 11, 2020 19:10

windmelody
It is a self destructive, stupid and dangerous development in western societies to demonize the own past and to reduce it to negative things. Another idiocy is judging people from the past by moral standards of the present.

Perfect!!!!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 11, 2020 19:12

There is still slavery in Africa today!Blacks enslaving other blacks today.In Sudan it is estimated 8percent of the population are slaves.During the American slave trade,1600-1830, black tribes in Africa were involved in selling slaves and had slave themselves.Why are the young people not mobilizing against slavery today in Africa.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 11, 2020 19:35

If an artist can't write about touchy subjects in a nuanced manner, then what's the point.
There's a lot of levels to the song.
The part the makes people uncomfortable and so interesting is that Jagger captures the dark part in man, and if we're honest, there's a certain thrill to being the slaver, the houseboy and Mick himself.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: June 11, 2020 19:42

Maindefender
Doxa
Koen
Midnight Toker
They will play BS again. Please do not bow to the FAR LEFT.

It’s about humanity, please stop politicizing this.

Well, what Midnight Toker says implies that those in the FAR RIGHT think racism is alright.

Which probably is the case.

Anyway, the case of "Brown Sugar" is a tricky one. I have always interpreted the song playing with the images and attitudes of the past - something between journalism and sarcasm - and I have never interpreted it as racist. More like antiracist one. But then again - they truely are playing with the fire there (kids, don't try that at home!). I think telling is the first public performance of it - Mick playing it to Ike and Tina Turner, and see the hilarous reaction of Tina... Mick clearly knows the dariness and shocking value of the lyrics, which probably is the point of whole song... and taking today's (justified) sensitivism, I understand why it easily can be targeted. There was an individual attack against it last year. At the time I saw it ridiculous, but I don't know now. I guess for many of us belonging to the old guard of rock generations, that kind of dariness and edge "Brown Sugar" represents is a part of the charm. I mean, that's rock and roll, baby! Da Stones! But what about if we were, at least partly, wrong? Were there things we didn't realize back then, but that are now, as the awereness increases, revealed and we should know now better? Time to grow up for us as well? I have no answers, just questions.

I guess the problem with "Brown Sugar" in regard to racism is not if the lyrics are, if put under scrutiny, racist or not, but more like: is it sensible, no matter what your intentions are, to play at all with images like that? Images with such strong racist connotations? Isn't that, if not necessarily racist, but just stupid and tasteless?

I guess it is a tricky issue for Jagger as well. He seemingly haven't been comfortable with it for a long time, like he hasn't with "Street Fighting Man" either. He clearly isn't the guy in his twenties any longer, no matter that he still does what he did back then...

Growing up gracefully? Well, that's the problem for Sir Mick and rest of us too who still dig the music we did in our teens many, many decades ago...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Oh the humanity. Question is who’s left(or right) to write stirring music about the times today? Who truly believes enough to write a rock song to today’s revolution/morals?

<<<<<

Steve Earle has probably already written his next five albums.

[m.youtube.com]

Steve Earle & The Dukes
The Revolution Starts Now
Live on The Craig Ferguson Show-2005

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 11, 2020 19:48

I wonder when statues of Ghandi and Che Guevarra will be torn down... (actually I meant 'if')

Date: June 11, 2020 20:04

They want to tear down Gerge Washington Monuments!!! Even my fav Tom Jefferson!!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 11, 2020 20:27

windmelody

Hm...you think the Fuhrer should be praised for the Autobahn ?
Seriously ?

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: June 11, 2020 20:32

This should not even be a discussion. Brown Sugar just like every other Great Rock Song are just that, Great Rock Songs. The idea of any great rock song never being played again because it may offend someone is ludicrous.
I honestly don’t feel I have an ounce prejudice against any race of people in this entire world but if not playing the greatest rock songs ever recorded defines me as prejudice then so be it.
Let’s all get back to what is reality and work together to find solutions to the real problems. Tearing down statues and changing names of military bases won’t change anything.
I just want the Stones to be able to tour again and play Brown Sugar as they should.

Date: June 11, 2020 20:34

Sighunt
When you have a single, horrific incident like the George Floyd killing caught on video that causes so much outrage to humanity, you can expect (at least for the foreseeable future), that the pendulum will swing hard towards rectifying and/or righting perceived wrongs (whether it be out of political correctness) like tearing down confederate statues, banning confederate flags from NASCAR races, pulling Gone With The Wind by HBO Max over racist depictions, etc.

....as the pendulum continues to swing (being a student of sociology and psychology, I saw these type of events coming)...

[www.yahoo.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-11 20:42 by Sighunt.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 11, 2020 20:47

AH was one of the most diabolic creatures of all time.Yet there are people who say that one must not read Eichendorff or listen to Johann Sebastian Bach - since Adolf was so evil. These people are missing something.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 11, 2020 20:48

have any radio stations actually proposed "banning" this song?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 11, 2020 20:51

Sighunt

Whatever someone thinks of the means of righting them, they're not perceived wrongs, they're just wrong. There's no way to perceive slavery as morally right.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 11, 2020 20:53

windmelody
AH was one of the most diabolic creatures of all time.Yet there are people who say that one must not read Eichendorff or listen to Johann Sebastian Bach - since Adolf was so evil. These people are missing something.

As they lived centuries before him and had nothing to do with the man.

To, finally (as far as I'm concerned in this thread), to quote an English stand up comedian who's name eludes me right now:

"Free speech will prevail and you'll suck it up and like it".

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 11, 2020 21:14

windmelody

It's like being against oil pipelines and saying oil is disgusting and dirty and destroying the environment. The truth is oil is the most magical wonder substance known to man. Oil gives you everything and without it you would starve to death.

Or being against Western Civilization and complaining that it r*ped the world and destroyed everywhere it went and caused so much human suffering. The truth is Western Civilization is the most amazing positive force in the entire history of the world from democracy to the Industrial Revolution to the Green Revolution to the Information Age. Western Civilization gave us the world we live in.

No doubt there are negatives associated with oil and Western Civilization. But the positives are so overwhelmingly immense that they shape your existence from the moment you open your eyes in the morning to the moment you close them to go to sleep at night.

Date: June 11, 2020 21:14

Aquamarine
Sighunt

Whatever someone thinks of the means of righting them, they're not perceived wrongs, they're just wrong. There's no way to perceive slavery as morally right.

I don't disagree with you. I am concerned where this movement could go. Are we going to go to extremes now?
Like, what's next- should we go after UNder My Thumb or Midnight Rambler?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-11 21:16 by Sighunt.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home