Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Fake quote? Charlie stops touring
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 9, 2020 10:18

Hey,
dont know if that has been posted. Found this Charlie quote on FB and was wondering where it came from. Is it recent? It could very well be from 1982.

"It's hard to stop, although I personally think the time is coming up to say goodbye to the Rolling Stones' tours. The legs falter and the body can no longer endure a hangover day."
[www.facebook.com]

Re: Fake quote? Charlie stops touring
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 9, 2020 11:05

schwonek
Hey,
dont know if that has been posted. Found this Charlie quote on FB and was wondering where it came from. Is it recent? It could very well be from 1982.

"It's hard to stop, although I personally think the time is coming up to say goodbye to the Rolling Stones' tours. The legs falter and the body can no longer endure a hangover day."
[www.facebook.com]

"It's hard to stop, although I personally think the time is coming up to say goodbye to the Rolling Stones' tours. The legs falter and the body can no longer endure a hangover day." Charlie Watts

Where & when is he supposed to have said this ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: June 9, 2020 11:12

The last sentence reeks of BS. Charlie would never have put it like that smiling smiley

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 9, 2020 12:09

"The time is coming up". Of course it is, dude is pushing 80. But it doesn't say it has come up. winking smiley

And "hangover day"? Huh? Really doesn't sound like Charlie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-09 12:10 by Topi.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: June 9, 2020 12:13

He may well be thinking this but doubt if he'd say it in public and in that manner. Have been wondering if they will ever do the postponed US dates? However the positive side of COVID-19 (if that's possible) is that Ghost Town does show they're not finished yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-09 12:13 by exhpart.

Date: June 9, 2020 12:15

We had 19 pages of "Charlie quits" talk back in 2009. winking smiley

[iorr.org]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 9, 2020 12:17

.... finding this hard to believe ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: June 9, 2020 12:57

schwonek
Hey,

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 9, 2020 13:19

mrfancyman
schwonek
Hey,

[www.facebook.com]

HAHAHAHA Love this

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 9, 2020 13:28

Topi
"The time is coming up". Of course it is, dude is pushing 80. But it doesn't say it has come up. winking smiley

And "hangover day"? Huh? Really doesn't sound like Charlie.

Agree. It doesn't really sound like him ....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: June 9, 2020 14:00

The only article I can find that mentions Charlie and the word "hangover" is from the Guardian, two years ago:

[www.theguardian.com]

The hard-living days are long over, commented Watts, who said he had not drunk alcohol or smoked for some time. “We are getting to that elderly period, so it’s a good thing not to. When you’re 40 and you’ve got a hangover you get up and have another drink and you’re off again. I don’t think we could do it nowadays ... at this age. Smoking and drinking are not like they were in the 50s. In the 40s and 50s every film star smoked. You’d never see a film star now drinking or smoking, it’s not fashionable, I’m glad to say. In another way it has ruined jazz clubs ... they are totally unlike what I would consider a club. They have become very clinical.”

That time, we got a thread of 5 pages... [iorr.org]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 9, 2020 14:36

Why spread fake news?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 9, 2020 14:54

schwonek
Found this Charlie quote on FB and was wondering where it came from. Is it recent?

Would suggest asking the Facebook poster directly, but others already have. Apart from saying the quote is "two years old", no source has been cited.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 9, 2020 15:28

bye bye johnny
schwonek
Found this Charlie quote on FB and was wondering where it came from. Is it recent?

Would suggest asking the Facebook poster directly, but others already have. Apart from saying the quote is "two years old", no source has been cited.

[www.facebook.com]

Well as it seems Topi just produced the source for us and that does sound exactly the way Mr Watts would put it

Date: June 9, 2020 17:08

Could't it be that Charlie said this during his addiction days in the midd-8tees?
He was quite grumpy at the time, and referring to hangover days this must have been quite an issue for him. If the Stones call it quits, it's because either Charlie, Jagger or Keith stops. Otherwise they just stop touring without further announcement in the (near) future, imo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-09 17:16 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 9, 2020 19:14

TheflyingDutchman
Otherwise they just stop touring without further announcement in the (near) future, imo.

That might have been the proper way, but the problem right now is they currently have a US Tour lingering in postponement limbo, and sooner or later they'll have to make an announcement to either reschedule or cancel completely.
If they reschedule, that's great for those who are insistent on holding on to their tickets, and even those like myself who opted for refunds - I can always repurchase if and when they do reschedule. BUT, if they decide to cancel,
the writing is practically on the wall that there may be no more tours - at least none as we know them in massive stadiums, etc. Might be a few small "commemorative" shows here and there for the 60th - maybe a string of shows at Royal Albert Hall,
but not much beyond that if anything at all.

As for the supposed quote from Charlie - it sounds completely bogus, but the fact he's about to turn 80 (and he does look a bit frail in recent pics) says he might not want to continue no matter what.
He's given more than enough (as have the rest), and it might be appropriate for them to call it a day. While touring might keep him (and the rest) busy, it can also take it's toll no matter how nice the 5 star hotels and private jets are.

Date: June 9, 2020 19:53

Let's hope for the diehard fans that the postponed Stones tour will happen asap.

In the Netherlands it's not guaranteed that bigger festivals will take place even as far as 2021.For example Pinkpop 2021 is very uncertain, even without corona issues.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 9, 2020 21:45

Fake quote? YES.
I agree with what Hairball says, but his appearance is like my (meanwhile late) then 70 years old Japanese 7dan karate teacher of my younger days. 27 cm shorter than me, almost half my weight (and I'm not fat, I can say), but you wouldn't dare fighting him! I met Charlie a couple of times and I couldn't imagine this tiny fragile person was the same one sitting behind his drums on stage. He's a real tough cookie, so to say.
I still look forward to one of their 60st Anniversary shows in 2022 ... smileys with beer

Date: June 10, 2020 00:26

TheflyingDutchman
Let's hope for the diehard fans that the postponed Stones tour will happen asap.

In the Netherlands it's not guaranteed that bigger festivals will take place even as far as 2021.For example Pinkpop 2021 is very uncertain, even without corona issues.

I highly doubt there will be any large scale shows in the US until 2022 at the earliest- especially for older artists and bands with very old band members. Those who are holding their breath for rescheduled dates, good luck.
Until there's a vaccine, the old folks just can't take the risk, and that includes much of the fan base of these older acts who aren't yet ready and willing to expose themselves to an infectious virus.

By the way, If it isn't coronavirus issues, what's the problem with PinkPop 2021?

Date: June 10, 2020 00:29

georgie48
I still look forward to one of their 60st Anniversary shows in 2022 ... smileys with beer

Yeah same here georgie, but we might have to watch it being live streamed with the band members in isolation similar to their recent "performance" of You Can't Always Get What You Want w/Charlie playing air drums.smiling smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 10, 2020 01:11

Go Charlie!!!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 10, 2020 09:01

Stoneage
Why spread fake news?

Exactly!

Date: June 10, 2020 12:52

TheflyingDutchman

???

They are confirming artist already. Pinkpop 2021 will go on if there are no major corona issues.

Date: June 10, 2020 12:59

Hairball
TheflyingDutchman

I highly doubt there will be any large scale shows in the US until 2022 at the earliest- especially for older artists and bands with very old band members. Those who are holding their breath for rescheduled dates, good luck.
Until there's a vaccine, the old folks just can't take the risk, and that includes much of the fan base of these older acts who aren't yet ready and willing to expose themselves to an infectious virus.

By the way, If it isn't coronavirus issues, what's the problem with PinkPop 2021?

Insurance issues.The (bigger) acts want to get payed in advance and don't or cannot refund their fee, at least this year. It's a big three days festival.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-10 13:52 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: June 10, 2020 19:43

TheflyingDutchman
Hairball
TheflyingDutchman

Insurance issues.The (bigger) acts want to get payed in advance and don't or cannot refund their fee, at least this year. It's a big three days festival.

Yeah it's a big one, but seems any issues are somehow related to the coronavirus crisis in some way or another.
But as PaintMonkeyManBlack stated, "...they are confirming artist already. Pinkpop 2021 will go on if there are no major corona issues", though I guess as with everything, only time will tell.

Now the massive Coachella Festival (normally two consecutive three-day weekends) has been bumped again which isn't really surprising - not sure why they thought October of this year would be a good time to reschedule, but probably just being overly optimistic. Generally, the panic and paranoia due to the crisis seems to be easing up quite a bit (thankfully the area where I live has been somewhat spared for the most part), but I think it's still wise to be rationally extra cautious vs. being foolish and willing to risk your life as well as others'. In other words, you won't see me at any large/massive gatherings with thousands of others, nor in small crowded gatherings in enclosed spaces anytime soon unfortunately...better to be safe than sorry.

Date: June 10, 2020 21:47

Hairball
TheflyingDutchman
Hairball
TheflyingDutchman

Yeah it's a big one, but seems any issues are somehow related to the coronavirus crisis in some way or another.

Right, insurance issues in the second degree. Like you said, better save than sorry: Insurance companies are very likely not prepared to take the risk, virus or not, as far as 2021 is concerned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home