Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: What good movies are you watching?
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 7, 2020 22:18

Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood

Love it !

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 7, 2020 22:26

Hey FWIW I watched Crawl last week on Sky Premier.

I happened to enjoy it, albeit in a guilty pleasure way.

It also reminded me of last year's Tough Mudder; I did an Obstacle Course Race, wherein one of the vents was based on Crawl without the alligators.

However, I cannot imagine a horror movie based on Arctic Enema. I did that too at the Mudder.

Date: June 7, 2020 22:27

bob r

Love it !

So did I. Best thing I ever saw Brad Pitt in, apart from Se7en.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 8, 2020 03:53

Sunset Boulevard ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 8, 2020 04:48

tomcasagranda
...I also saw a mention of the Twilight Zone: I watched the original Nightmare at 20,000 Feet last week. William Shatner was a great actor in that, and it was from a great story by Richard Matheson.

It is a great one! Shatner & Matheson (great story writer!!), both excellent!

However did you ever see the Twilight Zone movie ... I think it came out sometime in the '80s, with about 4 short stories, some of them re-makes ... they re-did this one w/ John Lithgow and he is fantastic in it! Easily outshines Shatner, imo.

Date: June 8, 2020 04:58

Comments on the list:

Marathon Man - Simply a great classic!

The Twilight Zone (show) - it is great, sort of ... about 10 to 15 episodes anyway. I actually tried to go thru the entire series once, and there are far too many horrible episodes, sorry!

Ozark - Season 1 & 2, fantastic! Season 3, eh...

The Big Lebowski - One of my all time favorites! Dude! ... i thought for a moment that someone said this was overrated, but I must have misread that.

Once Upon A Time ... in Hollywood - Brad Pitt, Great; Leonardo, Perfection! Sharon Tate actress, great! Al Pacino, small role but fantastic! Love it, I actually just re-watched this the other night!

The Godfather I, II, III - I'll give you I and II, but who would ever suffer through III again?

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - Don't consider it great, but still, it's Clint and it's a classic!

Joker - Haven't seen it yet, it's on the "to do" list.

"The French Connection", "The Seven Ups" - Both classics I saw when younger, I recall loving both ... but never bothered to watch them again. I do recall French Connection all time classic car chase thru NYC!

Date: June 8, 2020 05:03

I should add, my goal is to watch the Netflix Breaking Bad movie, I still haven't seen it yet, I am going to try and get to this one during the week (maybe tonight?).

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 8, 2020 05:36

LeonidP
I should add, my goal is to watch the Netflix Breaking Bad movie, I still haven't seen it yet, I am going to try and get to this one during the week (maybe tonight?).

It's worth the effort.

Date: June 8, 2020 11:19

very good documentary

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 8, 2020 14:37

I Walked With A Zombie.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: June 8, 2020 16:11

"New films" that are far better than you would think :

Gretel and Hansel

Ford Vs Ferrari

- Both are excellent.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 8, 2020 16:28

LeonidP

The Big Lebowski - One of my all time favorites! Dude! ... i thought for a moment that someone said this was overrated, but I must have misread that.

Not overrated... Totally overrated! winking smiley Do yourself a favour : try other Coen movies like "Fargo". You'll thank me.
Another dead weight in TBL is Julianne Moore : she's pretty but she simply can't act. Watch her in "Hannibal" (2001) and go... confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-08 17:00 by dcba.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 8, 2020 16:32

I have really been impressed with a lot of Netflix movies of late. I find them to be quite good, and well produced with A-list stars. I don't understand why they aren't getting more cred in Hollywood. I watched The Highwaymen Friday night, and I loved it! I've watched 5 or 6 Netflix original movies now, and I've enjoyed every single one of them - as opposed to OnDemand Pix or the latest rental releases, some of which leave me wishing I could get my money back!

Date: June 8, 2020 16:58

Not a movie, but 'Money Heist' (La casa de papel) on Netflix is highly addictive smiling smiley

Date: June 8, 2020 17:50

dcba
LeonidP

Not overrated... Totally overrated! winking smiley Do yourself a favour : try other Coen movies like "Fargo". You'll thank me.
Another dead weight in TBL is Julianne Moore : she's pretty but she simply can't act. Watch her in "Hannibal" (2001) and go... confused smiley

I love Fargo (the movie, never saw the tv show) -- but definitely not as much as The Big Lebowski.

Another very good Coen flick, Burn After Reading ... although it is not up there w/ the likes of Fargo/Big Lebowski, it is very enjoyable (it has Brad Pitt and Fargo's Frances McDormand

Date: June 8, 2020 18:53

LeonidP
tomcasagranda
...I also saw a mention of the Twilight Zone: I watched the original Nightmare at 20,000 Feet last week. William Shatner was a great actor in that, and it was from a great story by Richard Matheson.

However did you ever see the Twilight Zone movie ... I think it came out sometime in the '80s, with about 4 short stories, some of them re-makes ... they re-did this one w/ John Lithgow and he is fantastic in it! Easily outshines Shatner, imo.

Yes.....however, we may have to agree to disagree on this one. I think the Shatner original is fantastic, whereas the Lithgow remake is great. Shatner owns the neurotic Bill Wilson, and the fact that his wife is totally unaware of the gremlin is a massive factor too in it.

I did another Twilight Zone episode last night - Time Enough At Last. Burgess Meredith was brilliant in that. I really felt sorry for him, unable to read all the books he wanted to as his glasses broke. The overbearing boss and the nagging wife all gone from his life, due to nuclear destruction, and still no peace for him. He wasn't even wicked, just a bibliophile.

Date: June 8, 2020 18:56

My swash was also well and truly buckled as I watched Master & Commander.

I know a lot of people like Pirates of The Caribbean, but Master & Commander, with Russell Crowe and Paul Bethany, totally aces it. Why there were no sequels to it, bearing in mind Patrick O'Brian wrote a great deal of James Aubrey books, is beyond me ? It certainly highlights the dynamics of interpersonal relationships, and has some great action sequences.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 8, 2020 19:01

Not a 'movie', but I've been binge watching Narcos on Netflix. EXCELLENT. 1st 2 seasons are based on the search for Pablo Escobar (the guy who plays him is outstanding). Then S3 is about the Cali Cartel - not 'quite' as good, but still a fun watch.
Then, I'm now on the 2nd season of Narcos Mexico, which is also great.
Top notch characters, production values are cinema quality - if you don't mind some violence, (and sub titles as about half of the dialog IS in Spanish), it's really superb.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 8, 2020 19:03

bob r

Love it !

LOVE OUAT...IH also. Watch it pretty much every Saturday night recently. Just one great scene after another.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 8, 2020 20:32

Burn After Reading might be my favorite Coen Bros. film. Unexpected and funny moments with sad and touching characters.

I've seen a few foreign films on TCM that I can recommend:
Stray Dog (1949) Kurosawa film noir starring a young Toshiro Mifune that is a fascinating portrait of post-war Tokyo.

Rififi (1955) Jules Dassin

Two by Robert Bresson: A Man Escaped (1956) and Pickpocket (1959)

Elevator To The Gallows (1958) Louis Malle French New Wave/Film Noir

Vadim Mister Cool (2016) this documentary on Roger Vadim reminded me of the Robert Evans film The Kid Stays In The Picture in that both men led these amazing lives that wouldn't seem believable if they were portrayed by actors in a movie.

Date: June 8, 2020 20:37

tomcasagranda
LeonidP
tomcasagranda

Yes.....however, we may have to agree to disagree on this one. I think the Shatner original is fantastic, whereas the Lithgow remake is great. Shatner owns the neurotic Bill Wilson, and the fact that his wife is totally unaware of the gremlin is a massive factor too in it.

I did another Twilight Zone episode last night - Time Enough At Last. Burgess Meredith was brilliant in that. I really felt sorry for him, unable to read all the books he wanted to as his glasses broke. The overbearing boss and the nagging wife all gone from his life, due to nuclear destruction, and still no peace for him. He wasn't even wicked, just a bibliophile.

Time Enough At Last is the one everyone remembers as their favorite, it seems. I might be mine too. Another one I love is People Are Alike All Over. It has a great twist at the end, similar to Time Enough At Last.

Date: June 8, 2020 20:53

I always liked To Serve Mankind on Twilight Zone.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 8, 2020 21:08

ive a got a good collection, heres a few ideas

some like it hot

vertigo

ashes and diamonds(polish film)

kanal(polish film)

invasion of the body snatchers remake 1978

come september

charade

strangers on a train

rollercoaster

the day the earth caught fire

the boy in the stripy pyjamas

the pianist

crocodile dundee 1 and 2.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 8, 2020 21:17

The best show on TV is "To Tell the Truth" on ABC Thursday nights at 10:00 EDT

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: June 8, 2020 21:38

Chris Fountain
The best show on TV is "To Tell the Truth" on ABC Thursday nights at 10:00 EDT

You're right about that. Absolutely hilarious.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: June 8, 2020 23:28

Hello,

what about THE GETAWAY with Steve Mcqueen and Alice Magraw, and some good blaxploitation movies like SHAFT, ACROSS 110 STREET.

Bye
Fernando

Date: June 8, 2020 23:39

Fernandobsas
Hello,

what about THE GETAWAY with Steve Mcqueen and Alice Magraw, and some good blaxploitation movies like SHAFT, ACROSS 110 STREET.

Bye
Fernando

The Getaway is a classic. The remake was terrible.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 9, 2020 00:17

LeonidP
Comments on the list:

The Godfather I, II, III - I'll give you I and II, but who would ever suffer through III again?

I always thought that III (minus Sofia Coppola, of course) is better than II

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 9, 2020 01:13

slewan
LeonidP
Comments on the list:

I'd agree with LeonidP - Godfather III should have never been made it's that bad.
I've always considered I and II as one ultra lengthy movie at just over six hours long - amongst my all time favorite movie(s) ever, and can be watched repeatedly.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 9, 2020 04:55

Hairball
slewan
LeonidP
Comments on the list:

I'd agree with LeonidP - Godfather III should have never been made it's that bad.
I've always considered I and II as one ultra lengthy movie at just over six hours long - amongst my all time favorite movie(s) ever, and can be watched repeatedly.

Agree completely.
Huge fan of I and II. Have to stop and watch whenever I stumble across one.
III might have been better if they were able to sign Duvall, but they lowballed him, and apparently compromised on everything else as well.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home