Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: How the blues was stolen again and again
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 6, 2020 21:54

Interesting little read on how blues music has been used through the years, sources credited or not. It does make me wonder if the blues will remain a viable musical genre down the road apiece.

[www.loudersound.com]

Re: OT: How the blues was stolen again and again
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 6, 2020 23:06

2 years ago when the stones' exhibition was in Chicago, I went to visit it, flying for the day from DC. Then I went to check out the Chess studio. It is a tour of the few rooms with a person explaining the story of that mythical space. At one point the touring guide starts to ask us (we were 4 persons visiting)if we knew the song "Miss you" and followed by telling us that Billy Preston wrote the song. I was very surprised although I had read before about Mick on drums jamming with Billy on keys and that instance being the starting point of "MY".
Now to go to a MUSEUM and being told that the Stones falsely credited that song for themselves is a stretch.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 7, 2020 00:58

Museums often get it wrong. I once visited the Smithsonian when they had an exhibit featuring the Beatles and their "conquering" of America. The exhibit stated that Meet the Beatles was the first Beatles album. It stated that in more than one place. And it didn't specify "first USA release", even though that would not have been correct either. I had a hard time restraining myself.

But the paleontology hall was fascinating.

jb

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 7, 2020 01:26

jbwelda
Museums often get it wrong. I once visited the Smithsonian when they had an exhibit featuring the Beatles and their "conquering" of America. The exhibit stated that Meet the Beatles was the first Beatles album. It stated that in more than one place. And it didn't specify "first USA release", even though that would not have been correct either. I had a hard time restraining myself.

jb

You really should have followed it up. Fact matter, and small details are important.

It can be done. There's a major dictionary of music called 'Groves' and they had a Beatles-detail very wrong, so I engaged with them, proved the point and they changed the dictionary.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 7, 2020 02:33

Yeah I thought about writing them a letter about it but figured someone else HAD to have pointed that out before so never bothered.

jb

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 7, 2020 03:41

jbwelda
Yeah I thought about writing them a letter about it but figured someone else HAD to have pointed that out before so never bothered.

jb

If everyone thinks that... no-one acts.

Get yourself a footnote in the (very significant) history of the Smithsonian (!!) for correcting their labelling.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: June 7, 2020 05:51

"Stolen" Blues or Rerouted & Enhanced? ...It's The Singer, Not The Song.

Seriously though, valid point.

Fun Fact: Released as the B-side of the British single “Get Off of My Cloud”. The title was borrowed from the 1961 feature film directed by Roy Ward Baker.

Date: June 7, 2020 06:22

>Get yourself a footnote in the (very significant) history of the Smithsonian (!!)

That would certainly look good on my resume!

Alas, another wasted opportunity.

jb

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 13, 2020 05:12

The Stones "stealing" the blues was the best thing for those Artists.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 13, 2020 13:21

The Blues is a feeling you can't steal. I'm sure that the original "users" of Blues music would have loved anybody to share their feelings. When I look back at videos where you see black musicians share their music with white folks that they radiate joy, happiness and pride. When music reaches the soul of people it is at its best.
smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 13, 2020 14:43

Stolen or not: Strange thing with the blues was that it turned into black music with a white, often middle class, audience.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 13, 2020 16:39

Could you imagine how lame the world would be if different ethnicities and cultures were forced to stick to “their” music. This whole conversation is absurd.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 13, 2020 17:07

Sure, Travelinman. Still it is interesting how the black audience kind of left the blues behind them and how the blues found a new, white, audience.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 13, 2020 18:04

jbwelda

But the paleontology hall was fascinating.

jb

This?

It says this on the website:

Description
The Beatles. Meet The Beatles! (Capitol T-2047).
LP. 33-1/3 rpm.

The Beatles burst onto the American scene in the early 1960s with a series of hit singles. Meet the Beatles! is the second Beatles album released in the United States. It was the first American Beatles album to be issued by Capitol Records.

Date: June 13, 2020 18:33

Wow. I still have an original release of the Meet The Beatles album as pictured here. The shadowed faces became a motif copied on many other album covers. Aftermath by the Stones is one of these albums regarding imagery.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 13, 2020 18:38

dmay
Wow. I still have an original release of the Meet The Beatles album as pictured here. The shadowed faces became a motif copied on many other album covers. Aftermath by the Stones is one of these albums regarding imagery.

True, though remember the photo shoot was for The Beatles’ second LP proper, With The Beatles.

The big and bold ‘Meet The Beatles!’ ruins the image, in my opinion. I feel the same about England’s Newest Hitmakers. No words were necessary. The picture tells the story on it’s own.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 13, 2020 18:44

Music is universal.African Americans created great music ,blues,gospel,jazz,r&b.But the instruments they used ,sax,piano,electric guitar,trumpet,violin ,and written music,were invented by European Americans.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: June 13, 2020 19:04

Taylor1
sax,piano,trumpet,violin ,and written music,were invented by European Americans.

Huh?

Date: June 13, 2020 19:12

unsure of your point there gaslightstreet...I was looking at the exhibit in the hall of culture or whatever it was called, this was in 1999 or sometime before the big 9/11 clampdown. I do not know (or care) what is on the Smithsonian website now, twenty years later, if that is the website you are citing, that is not what was on display at the museum at the time. Maybe someone opened their eyes.

PS: Meet the Beatles was not the first Beatles LP, not even in the USA. The VeeJay release predated it, at least. It appears the text you quoted acknowledges that fact. That is not what it said on the storyboards in the actual exhibition at the time. That was my point, not some tangent that one can dream up.

>Wow. I still have an original release of the Meet The Beatles album as
>pictured here.

Wow they only sold like millions of them. Its amazing you have one just like pictured there...not really at all.

As for the blues, its funny that white audiences feel "comfortable" with the genre but if you stick them in a room with reggae they start feeling all threatened...much less with some good gangsta rap. I guess its "safe" music for white people despite its underlying violence threat theme. Or maybe blue black people are considered so down they are not a threat. I don't know but I have noticed that for a long long time. I personally think it is a genre that has become so whitewashed that it is no longer relevant as a contemporary music and particularly not as an outlet for the underclasses. Like the Clash said: you think its funny: turning rebellion into money.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-13 19:14 by jbwelda.

Date: June 13, 2020 19:30

"Meet the Beatles was not the first Beatles LP, not even in the USA. The VeeJay release predated it, at least."

Wow. I also have this as an original release, carefully tucked away. Is it worth enough to make my retirement glory years?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 13, 2020 19:31

WelshEdge1
Taylor1
sax,piano,trumpet,violin ,and written music,were invented by European Americans.

Huh?
Almost allclassical instruments,piano,violin,viola,basoon,cello,were invented by Italians.The language of music was created by Italians.The sax,byafrenchmen.The guitar ,either in Spain ,North Africaor Italy.The Italian Gaetano Vinaccia invented the first six String guitar in the late 1700s.Music is universal,to be shared by everybody.There have beenmany great African American opera singers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-13 19:34 by Taylor1.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: June 13, 2020 19:40

Taylor1
WelshEdge1
Taylor1

Huh?
Almost allclassical instruments,piano,violin,viola,basoon,cello,were invented by Italians.The language of music was created by Italians.The sax,byafrenchmen.The guitar ,either in Spain ,North Africaor Italy.The Italian Gaetano Vinaccia invented the first six String guitar in the late 1700s.Music is universal,to be shared by everybody.There have beenmany great African American opera singers

Exactly. They were just Europeans. Not Americans.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 13, 2020 19:58

Can we stop with the term ‘African American’? How about ‘American’ Americans with white skin are not referred to as ‘European American’, are they?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 13, 2020 21:09

look what I just stole and got away with [twitter.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 13, 2020 23:19

Ry Cooder rode into the Blind Willie Johnson camp early too ....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 14, 2020 00:00

dmay: I don't know if you are kidding but if you have one of the original VeeJay releases, they are worth a mint. Not sure if the mono or stereo version are worth the most, I would think the stereo version, since at the time many or most bought mono because they hadn't upgraded to the new "stereo" concept yet. Be aware though, the record was almost immediately bootlegged and very very few of the legit ones are available, almost all are bootlegs. I forget the exact spotable difference, I think the printing on the cover gives it away with a greenish sickly cast to the photo. Otherwise they are virtually impossible to differentiate the real from the bootleg. I do not know details of matrix numbers between them but I would think maybe that would identify the bootleg.

Don't take my word for it, check around, it is one of the most coveted of all Beatles releases, the original real VeeJay version I mean.

I remember in late 1963 seeing the VeeJay LP on the record store (actually the basement of the Woolworths in St Louis) shelf and instead buying Meet the Beatles (and a couple of just released Rolling Stones 7") even though I loved She Loves You which was the VeeJay material. Shoulda woulda coulda bought a stack of the VeeJay in mono and stereo. But I was a kid and $2 or whatever they sold for was a lot of money. And they looked kind of funny on the VeeJay cover, so I probably bought some "Beatlemania" magazines or something worthwhile like that...never did go for the Beatle wig.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-14 03:52 by jbwelda.

Date: June 14, 2020 00:10

Rockman
Ry Cooder rode into the Blind Willie Johnson camp early too ....

thumbs up Ry Cooder made the best movie soundtrack I can think of with Paris, Texas

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 14, 2020 01:32

Yeah there was this local
music critic raving on & on
about Ry and Dark Was the Night ...

Played him the Willie Johnson original ....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 14, 2020 02:31

Hey, jbwelda, thanks for the head's up. I will have to go into the vaults at some point and locate this album and ascertain its authenticity.

Regarding Nikkei's comment about the Paris, Texas soundtrack being the best, check out the John Lee Hooker-Miles Davis collaboration on the soundtrack for The Hot Spot. Can't say much for the movie, but it lead me to get the music from it. Cool stuff.

Date: June 14, 2020 11:57

Thanks to both of you for guiding me closer to the sources I will check that stuff out for sure

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2079
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home