Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Steve Priest from Sweet RIP
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 5, 2020 05:42

Read online that Steve Priest, bassist for The Sweet passed away at age 72 from pneumonia. Not a huge fan of the band, I only know a couple of their hits like Fox On The Run and Ballroom Blitz.

RIP.

The Sweet bassist Steve Priest dies aged 72 (BBC)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-06 15:48 by bv.

Re: OT: Steve Priest from Sweet RIP
Posted by: swaff ()
Date: June 5, 2020 06:00

Desolation Boulevard is in my top ten. (if I could only pick only ten albums) To which I tried, and can not. Twenty is tough.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 5, 2020 06:33

RIP. Always love the beginning of Fox on the Run.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 5, 2020 08:46

"Are you ready, Steve?"

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: June 5, 2020 09:01

Aquamarine
"Are you ready, Steve?"

[www.youtube.com]

Used to go to nightclubs back in the day and that song would be on. Plus Bowie, Slade, Roxy, and lots of soul. Great times.

Posted by: Andithurts ()
Date: June 5, 2020 12:15

When I was a Teenager The Sweet were my absolute Heroes. Brian Connolly was God.
I always loved "No you don't" with Steve on vocals.
RIP Steve
video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Andithurts ()
Date: June 5, 2020 12:16

No you don't live 1974

Date: June 5, 2020 13:14

RIP Steve. Little Willy was a popular hit as well.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 5, 2020 14:02

Rest in peace, Steve Priest.

The Sweet song I’m knowingly aware of is Blockbuster.

Looking at their Wikipedia entry, it appears they were prolifically successful on the U.K. Singles Chart for several years.

As far as the Glam genre goes, I have as yet not delved further than the more frequently aired T.Rex and Slade.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 5, 2020 15:44

swaff
Desolation Boulevard is in my top ten. (if I could only pick only ten albums) To which I tried, and can not. Twenty is tough.

I played the heck out of that album when it came out! Great album.

The American release I had was quite different, I remember first playing "No You Don't" and thinking "hey that's a Pat Benatar song", which of course a quick look st the liner notes confirmed it wasn't, she covered a Sweet song!

Posted by: WillInUK ()
Date: June 5, 2020 16:03

From memory they were puppets of chin-Chapman songwriters. Did not play on there hit records. They wanted to be taken seriously but never were.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: June 5, 2020 16:18

RIP Steve.
Sad thing about Glam was that it wasn't taken that seriously. Beneath the silly hats, make-up and glitter there were some pretty good bands. Slade were a fantastic band musically,lyrically and live. Jimmy Lea's bass playing was ace. Slade Alive remains one of my favourite albums. Get down and get wiv it!grinning smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 5, 2020 16:27

WillInUK
From memory they were puppets of chin-Chapman songwriters. Did not play on there hit records. They wanted to be taken seriously but never were.

Your memory is a bit off. Chinn/Chapman did write their most successful early hits but they did play on their own records and did compose several songs on each album as well as some of their later hit singles.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 5, 2020 18:01

Gazza
WillInUK

Your memory is a bit off. Chinn/Chapman did write their most successful early hits but they did play on their own records and did compose several songs on each album as well as some of their later hit singles.

Interesting, just looked again at the American version of this album, all songs on side one were written by Chinn/Chapman, none of the songs on side 2 were (including 'Fox on the Run').

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 5, 2020 19:38

Along with some of the earlier tunes mentioned here, this tune was quite a hit in '78 and played relentlessly on all the rock stations here in SoCal.
Nice catchy song, and the lengthy middle instrumental section still sounds great:

RIP Steve Priest

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 5, 2020 23:05

The Sweet were a refreshing band in the early seventies. I enjoyed listening to them a lot even though their music was not really "my cup of tea".
T-Rex was another revelation. I even went to see Slade while in Japan (1974). It was glitter all over the place in those days and it even "infected" the Stones. I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw the promotion video of Angie just before heading to the Far East. "Ah, come on guys ...".
Sad to see the third original member of the band gone.
RIP Steve Priest.
(nice clip by the way, Hairball! Did it see that one before)

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 6, 2020 00:04

You’re both right! The did play on their singles from Wig Wam Bam onwards but not before

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: June 6, 2020 01:46

The Sweet pushed hard to be given artistic freedom from their contract with Chin and Chapman. The turned down several tracks that were eventually recorded by Mud. In particular Dynamite and Hypnosis, both of which were massive hits for Les Gray & Co.

Sweet eventually gained complete artistic control over their recordings - writing, recording and producing. By then they had evolved into an album oriented band rather than a singles band.

Personally I feel Chinn and Chapman have been criticised unfairly over the years. After all, without them, Sweet may never have become successful. Tracks like Little Willy, Blockbuster and Ballroom Blitz are excellent singles, and a valid and worthwhile part of The Sweet legacy. Up there with the Desolation Boulevard and Sweet Fanny Adams album, at least for me, in terms of quality.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: June 6, 2020 12:33

My Generation

Posted by: slane82 ()
Date: June 6, 2020 13:46

Steve had a great sense of humor:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 6, 2020 20:03

Here's another tune I recall from way back when, and it's probably been 45 years since I've heard it.
From 1975 - ACTION - this tune ROCKS! smiling smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 6, 2020 21:20

Hairball
Here's another tune I recall from way back when, and it's probably been 45 years since I've heard it.
From 1975 - ACTION - this tune ROCKS! smiling smiley

Def Leppard do a pretty good cover of this song. Doing lots of Youtube viewing the past couple months. Discovered a band from Toronto called Motion Device. They've been around for several years. They do a cover of Ballroom Blitz which is awesome. I think Sara, the lead singer, was only 12 when this was done. Brother on drums is 14, sister on bass is 17 and 2 guitarists are 19. They have a number of original songs, hard rock. I love their cover versions the best, a couple Dio and Sabbath, Metallica and probably the best cover of White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. Also, House of the Rising Sun when Sara was only 10! Check them out!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1874
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home