Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Mick Jagger in Italy
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 5, 2020 21:41

campxray
Stoneage
So, now this thread is a city popularity contest? Why does every thread turn stupid?
Totally agree. Why not talk more about Matt Clifford being with Mick. I'd like to here thoughts about that.

I think he's staying with and working on finishing new songs they have in the can.
Doesn't sound like they have enough for an album, can't help but wonder if there's any plans for the whole band to convene at some point.
Obviously extremely unlikely with the virus, but with private planes, testing, and other safety precautions (no one leaves the compound) etc., perhaps feasible.

Posted by: campxray ()
Date: September 5, 2020 22:07

MisterDDDD
campxray
Stoneage
So, now this thread is a city popularity contest? Why does every thread turn stupid?
Totally agree. Why not talk more about Matt Clifford being with Mick. I'd like to here thoughts about that.

I think he's staying with and working on finishing new songs they have in the can.
Doesn't sound like they have enough for an album, can't help but wonder if there's any plans for the whole band to convene at some point.
Obviously extremely unlikely with the virus, but with private planes, testing, and other safety precautions (no one leaves the compound) etc., perhaps feasible.

Well, Mick did say he was going to be working on music while in Italy. Keith recently said “I think we have five, six or seven tracks we’ve slowly been putting together. Right now, seeing if this [pandemic’s] going to go on, maybe we should think about putting them out in another way.”

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 5, 2020 22:10

Matt Clifford and Mick Jagger are close friends. They go to football games together, they perform on stage with The Stones together, and they travel together. As a Stones fan I am happy for Mick, that he is able to travel with close friends.

It seems like Mick is enjoying life in Italy and Tuscany now for a few months. The region has been doing great with the low numbers of corona cases. Also, the area is beautiful, and the fall temperatures are great.

I don't understand why some do expect Mick to be working on new songs and recordings at any time. He just celebrated his 77th birthday. No need to work overtime at that age. Mick and The Rolling Stones have given us 58 years of music and happiness. Now I think it is time to give them some time off.

Bjornulf

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 5, 2020 22:16

it's them saying they're a working band, not iorrers

me i dont have any expectations, enjoying ghs reissue, looking out of the window

and I confirm a warm end of the summer in tuscany

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 5, 2020 22:19

I guess Matt is Sir Michael's buddy and work pal. Someone to watch a football game with. Or go sightseeing with. When he's not spending time with his big family.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 5, 2020 23:13

bv

I don't understand why some do expect Mick to be working on new songs and recordings at any time. He just celebrated his 77th birthday. No need to work overtime at that age. Mick and The Rolling Stones have given us 58 years of music and happiness. Now I think it is time to give them some time off.

Got No Expectations of that at all, really. What little I may have have already been exceeded. They've (Mick) worked on and released new songs already during the pandemic, and Mick and Keith have both talked about getting more out during the down time in various interviews. That clearly would raise hopes, not expectations by any means.

Date: September 5, 2020 23:14

I guess the Italy deviation has to do with his tax scheme. Usually he's constantly on the move but Corona has put a limit to that.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 5, 2020 23:21

These days Clifford is more than just his buddy.He seems to be his biggest musical collaborator.Much more than Keith

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 6, 2020 01:11

rollingrichard
Amsterdam is No 1 for me, followed by Rome.

Amsterdam. thumbs up I've visited many times, and lived there for a summer back in the '80's...would probably get my vote as #1 also.

Rome is also nice, but very hectic and crowded when I was there.

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: September 6, 2020 09:50

I live at 15 kilometers from Amsterdam, and work there. I am a bit prejudiced.

I always find it hard to see Clifford so close with Mick : he looks so decent, upperlip, so non-Bohemian, so non-rock musician. I

He may be very kind, and maybe he's a good laugh, but I can't imagine going to have a few beers with him, and discuss womens asses smileys with beer

If you know what I mean.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2020 09:55

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-06 12:16 by Rockman.

Date: September 6, 2020 10:13

Rolling Richard
I always find it hard to see Clifford so close with Mick : he looks so decent, upperlip, so non-Bohemian, so non-rock musician

In a way I think it's you who have the wrong impression of Sir Michael. He is a conservative man with upper middle class values. Bohemian? Rebell? Well, maybe in the sixties.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-06 11:59 by Stoneage.

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: September 6, 2020 10:50

Yeah, you are probably right. I see Mick, the way I want him to be.

Like in the 70's or even 80's : bit provocating, showing off, like I wanted to be.

I want to keep that in mind. As a souvenir. But time has changed.It would be embarrassing, to be provocating when you're 77.

Date: September 6, 2020 11:32

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-06 11:57 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 6, 2020 12:53

Clifford is more than just a buddy or close friend. If he were just that,he’d be like Jack Nicholson,a non musician who has nothing to do with the music Jagger creates , but who socializes with him. Clifford by contrast appears to in creasingly be a musical collaborator/producer, who Mick has working with him.Witness Ghost Town,which Clifford was heavily involved and live shows. Clifford is very talented , whether you like his music ideas. I don’t think Keith likes him , because Keith is rigidly conservative in his musical ideas.IMo one of the reasons that he and Mick don’t collaborate as much as they used to is Mick tends to be more experimental. A lot of times those experiments are bad . And Keith is the foundation of the Stones music.As important as Mick in creating the greatest music from 1964-1981. But since then,he is very conservative.He would never work with a Brian Eno. I doubt he would have on his own suggest the Killers remix Scarlet,and IMo, theKillers did a great job.Not knocking the great Keith .He is my all time fav.I listen to his music everyday.The Stones are my all time fav band.And they are his band.But I wish he was a little more musically adventurous

Date: September 6, 2020 16:45

I remember a scene in the Steel Wheels promo video, where Keith is doing backing vocals on Mixed Emotions. When he went in to the control booth Clifford said "you got the job, you're in" (paraphrasing).

My instant thought was "wow, that guy is brave"!

Btw, did you know that Matt wrote the Champions League-hymn?

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: September 6, 2020 17:11

DandelionPowderman
I remember a scene in the Steel Wheels promo video, where Keith is doing backing vocals on Mixed Emotions. When he went in to the control booth Clifford said "you got the job, you're in" (paraphrasing).

He has done some writing for UEFA and FIFA, but I don’t believe the Champions League Anthem is one of them.

On a different note, Mick and his son and Matt Clifford sat a few rows in front of me at the 2014 World Cup final. That was cool. But Gisele and Tom Brady were also there, as was Adriana Lima, so I never knew where to look!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 6, 2020 20:16

Aside from being good friends, it could be that Matt Clifford has a black belt in karate and doubles as a bodyguard for Mick.
He doesn't really look that threatening, but can't judge a book by it's cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-06 20:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: September 10, 2020 13:21

Wouldn't be too surprised if Mick turns up at the Formula 1 race this weekend.
(I know it's closed to the public, but he is mick jagger after all.)

Date: September 10, 2020 15:04

ChrisL
DandelionPowderman

He has done some writing for UEFA and FIFA, but I don’t believe the Champions League Anthem is one of them.

On a different note, Mick and his son and Matt Clifford sat a few rows in front of me at the 2014 World Cup final. That was cool. But Gisele and Tom Brady were also there, as was Adriana Lima, so I never knew where to look!

Thanks. I probably misread this:

"Clifford arranged and produced the music for the UEFA Champions League, which led to composing the themes for the UEFA Cup, UEFA SuperCup, the Six Nations Anthem, the official broadcast music for the 2010 FIFA World Cup"

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: September 10, 2020 15:45

My Matt Clifford encounter: During the Edinburgh Festival a few years ago, there was a play called something like The Kidnapping of Mick Jagger. A one-man show by Irish comedian, Qwen O'Neill which featured a video clip of Mick pretending to be held hostage, reading out a ransom note. It was very funny, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I noticed that Matt Clifford was in the audience, so at the end whilst leaving the venue, I approached him and asked what he thought of the show. He said he had arranged the video clip of Mick, but had to persuade him to do it. We chatted away, and he was very pleasant and friendly. He asked me why I had asked him that (I think he thought I was a critic or someone of some importance), but when I explained I was merely a Stones fan, and I was aware he had worked with them etc, he continued to be chatty and pleasant.

I didn't want to overstay my welcome, plus I was with friends and he was with about half a dozen friends, so I thanked him for his time and said Goodbye. On the way home, I was thinking that he probably wouldn't have minded if I'd hung about longer and bought him a drink. I sort of regret not doing that now, but I did what I thought was cool at the time....perhaps if I'd been more pushy I may have got a job plugging in his keyboard on the next Stones tour??cool smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home