Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: "All Right Now" is 50 years ago.
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 5, 2020 13:38

Be My Friend, a Huge soulful ballad off their Highway album has always challenged Wild Horses by The Stones as the greatest ballad ever written in rockdom too! It’s truly magnificent.

Rod

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 5, 2020 14:39

retired_dog
GasLightStreet
Is this the "I said 'Now look babe' with the crunching guitar that's played on Vlassic Rawk radio EVERY DAY in the US?

Can't stand this tune. I know it's good but it's played as much as Motley Crue's Girls Girls Girls and that Time by Pink Floyd.

Try "Wishing Well" for a change...

Agree with you and Big Al that All Right Now, as great as it is imo, suffers through over-familiarity.
Second this. I believe the A side of their final album Heartbreaker is very good. Apart the fact the lineup is not original and Kossoff was not in the best shape.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 5, 2020 15:42

Taylor1
Since the Stones had to give KD Laing song writing credit for Anybody Seen My Baby , Free should have given the Stones credit for the All right Now Chorus, since it rips off JJ Flash

I've always thought it was much like HTW - the way the drum and guitar play off of each other.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 6, 2020 17:47

It must have been a floor filler at the discotheques. Evvybody on the dance floor!
The DJs of the time must know. In Bodø; Halvdan Sivertsen and the now disceased Terje Nilsen at "Club Alfredo" and "Inside". I guess it was the same venue, depending on which days of the week. Third floor at "Jarnesgården"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-06 18:13 by noughties.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 7, 2020 00:51

Hairball
When I think of 'Classic Rock', this is one of the first tunes I would think of. Great tune from start to finish, and it's been embedded in my brain since first hearing it on the radio as a seven year old when it was first released.
You can turn on any classic rock radio station right now, and can almost guarantee you will hear it at some point during any given day. That simple/crunchy opening riff is one for the ages, and will stand the test of time forever...

+1

Here's the Isle of Wight performance, absolutely smokin'.

Drew

Date: June 7, 2020 04:48

drewmaster
Hairball
When I think of 'Classic Rock', this is one of the first tunes I would think of. Great tune from start to finish, and it's been embedded in my brain since first hearing it on the radio as a seven year old when it was first released.
You can turn on any classic rock radio station right now, and can almost guarantee you will hear it at some point during any given day. That simple/crunchy opening riff is one for the ages, and will stand the test of time forever...

+1

Drew

Magnificent. Bought back memories. Any more from that show??

Rod

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 7, 2020 04:51

bitusa2012

Dunno, Rod. Just found this on YouTube.

Drew

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 7, 2020 06:29

bitusa2012
drewmaster
Hairball

+1

Drew

Searched and found - 35 minutes worth:

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 7, 2020 07:41

Wow, Simon Kirke must get a sore right arm swinging it that much to hit the high hat!

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: June 7, 2020 17:32

"All right now" was played in 1982 before the Stones shows.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: June 7, 2020 19:43

Great, iconic song, played to death. Apparently had 3m air plays in US alone by 2006, probably double that now.

Other songs worth seeking out are Woman, Trouble on Double Time, I'll Be Creepin' and I'm A Mover.

Saw the band live many times in their heyday, very tight, Paul Rodgers a great front man. In a way, Paul Kossoff was a Brian Jones sort of character and self destructed. Great shame. Great band.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 7, 2020 19:49

Didn't The Who actually perform "All Right Now" at some of their shows around 1979 or 1980?

I recall being a little surprised at reading about that because THE WHO had more than enough of their own material to fill a show, and so it seemed a little weird that they would play someone else's song, like they were a bar band or something.

It was kind of an unwritten rule for groups that if you performed a cover it was something older by a bluesman, or a first generation rocker. If it was by a contemporary of yours it had to be either an R&B artist...or Bob Dylan.

But as far as "All Right Now" being 50 years old...Yikes!

F I F T Y years used to be forever ago.

Date: June 8, 2020 00:18

I actually first heard of this song when Rod Stewart covered it in 84 on his Camouflage album. Only knew Paul Rodgers from Bad Co. I googled Free and I see that Tetsu Yamauchi played bass for them in 73. He would then join Faces replacing Ronnie Lane.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: June 8, 2020 00:40

Here is a recording of The Sweet performing All Right Now to honor Paul Kossoff who had just died. Ritchie Blackmore joins them onstage for it....

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 8, 2020 01:37

bitusa2012
drewmaster
Hairball

+1

Drew

Here's (a slightly strange) 3+ hours of it.

[www.youtube.com]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 8, 2020 07:32

Older LA fans may remember the KMET-FM station ID that was a soundalike of "All Right Now" with different words that ended with "...listening to KMET!"

They had several of them with different classic rock song staples. I can't remember what any of the other ones were.

Anybody out there recall what they were?

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: June 8, 2020 08:32

I was thirteen when this song was all over the radio, and I had a huge crush on the older (16-17) sister of a friend. She'd sometimes drive us around to someone's house, the beach, wherever, and I'd always grab the shotgun seat.Whenever I hear this song I can still see her: driving barefoot, in denim cut-offs, with her hair in a ponytail, singing along. Sigh. RIP Ann.

Date: June 8, 2020 09:05

TheBadRabbit
I was thirteen when this song was all over the radio, and I had a huge crush on the older (16-17) sister of a friend. She'd sometimes drive us around to someone's house, the beach, wherever, and I'd always grab the shotgun seat.Whenever I hear this song I can still see her: driving barefoot, in denim cut-offs, with her hair in a ponytail, singing along. Sigh. RIP Ann.

Almost sounds like a scene out of the movie Dazed and Confused!

Date: June 8, 2020 13:37

Hairball
bitusa2012
drewmaster
Hairball

+1

Drew

Searched and found - 35 minutes worth:

Just beautiful. For a 3 piece band of musicians, bar Rodgers in vocal’s, they were just stunning. Be My Friend is on this set. Just wonderful. Many thanks for this find! LOVED IT.

Rod

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 8, 2020 13:50

I have to say "Be My Friend" reminded me of Fleetwood Mac`s "Oh Daddy" from the Rumours album, which only shows that Free got it first!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 9, 2020 07:56

Hairball

Agreed.

But the major downside of the song's legacy is that it became the official unofficial song of the Leland STANFURD Junior University marching band.

plexi

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: June 9, 2020 09:32

I’ve always thought Rodgers has one of the best voices for rock n roll, with a nice bluesy edge to it. This song takes me back...

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 10, 2020 01:53

The 1st time I heard this(on a transistor radio)I thought it WAS the stones...

Posted by: NastyHabits ()
Date: August 2, 2020 07:41

Great song but to me it's always been a variation of the trick that the Stones invented in "Honk Tonk Women", i.e. you start the song very sparse, with only drums, rhythm guitar, and vocals, and wait until the chorus to put the other guitar, the bass and whatever else.

Which is also 90% of AC/DC songs, incidentally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-02 07:48 by NastyHabits.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 2, 2020 12:22

The best Stones-like song they didn't write ...

Free were a great band!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home