Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: "All Right Now" is 50 years ago.
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 2, 2020 15:22

Free desperately needed a single. They went off the stage to the sound of their own footsteps. Being familiar with this song was a calling card to coolness for us who grew up in Bodø in the very early 70s. You were accepted. Late 60s blues boom was the thing.

Re: OT: "All Right Now" is 50 years ago.
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 2, 2020 17:45

To my ears, as a Stones nutter and Springsteen superfan, having traveled continents to see both, Free were the worlds best band for a few short years and this IS the greatest ever single, by anyone.

I vividly remember a show in Perth on May 6, 1971 at Beatty Park Aquatic Centre. A three pronged lineup of international stars. Manfred Mann, Free and Deep Purple. All the bands in the prime of their careers with the best possible individual lineups of players. Original lineups. Awesome trio of acts. Stupendous show. Deep Purple were outrageously great, and loud, but Free just tore them to shreds. They were just mind bogglingly brilliant. Masters of blues rock, infused with soul and pop. Paul Kossoff...wow, what a guitarist!!!

Rod

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 2, 2020 18:57

now come on....

Date: June 2, 2020 23:33

bitusa2012
To my ears, as a Stones nutter and Springsteen superfan, having traveled continents to see both, Free were the worlds best band for a few short years and this IS the greatest ever single, by anyone.

I vividly remember a show in Perth on May 6, 1971 at Beatty Park Aquatic Centre. A three pronged lineup of international stars. Manfred Mann, Free and Deep Purple. All the bands in the prime of their careers with the best possible individual lineups of players. Original lineups. Awesome trio of acts. Stupendous show. Deep Purple were outrageously great, and loud, but Free just tore them to shreds. They were just mind bogglingly brilliant. Masters of blues rock, infused with soul and pop. Paul Kossoff...wow, what a guitarist!!!

Fantastic, must have been great!

But the original Deep Purple had a different lineup. A totally different sound on the two first albums.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 2, 2020 23:50

DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012

But the original Deep Purple had a different lineup. A totally different sound on the two first albums.

By that point, Purple would have had their Mk 2 classic lineup. In Rock was released in 1970 and Fireball would be released in a couple months.

Date: June 3, 2020 00:18

DGA35
DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012

By that point, Purple would have had their Mk 2 classic lineup. In Rock was released in 1970 and Fireball would be released in a couple months.

Indeed.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 3, 2020 01:27

For many years I had what I was beginning to think was a false memory about this song.

But a DVD proved it to be true - to my great relief.

I was at The Isle Of Wight Festival in 1970 (Jimi's last UK performance) and one afternoon went up onto the hill overlooking the site.

At dusk a hot air balloon went across... just as Free were playing 'All Right Now'.

Awesome.

And it all is on the DVD of that Festival.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 3, 2020 01:51

The first guitar solo I ever learned!
Brilliant bass player, brilliant guitarist and great sounding singer. Drummer not half bad either smiling smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 3, 2020 02:16

never liked this song, maybe one day i will learn what im missing.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 3, 2020 02:23

..... Lou and Marko use ta play
it all the time ... but it just never knocked me ...

ROCKMAN

Date: June 3, 2020 04:42

Paddy
Brilliant bass player, brilliant guitarist and great sounding singer. Drummer not half bad either smiling smiley

Hey Paddy, I know you're in the Vancouver area. Did you know Paul Rodgers lives in Summerland? His wife, a former Miss Canada, is from there. My brother saw him in concert in nearby Penticton and at the end, Paul said something to the effect that he'll be home in 15 minutes. I'm sure he must have a few houses around the world.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 3, 2020 07:34

DGA35
DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012

Sorry yes Deep Purple played most of the In Rock album. It was indeed their classic lineup. And despite me going primarily to see them, Free blew them away.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-03 07:35 by bitusa2012.

Date: June 3, 2020 07:59

bitusa2012
DGA35
DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012

Sorry yes Deep Purple played most of the In Rock album. It was indeed their classic lineup. And despite me going primarily to see them, Free blew them away.

Wow, that's saying something! Gillan/Blackmore/Paice/Lord/Glover getting blown off the stage!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 3, 2020 14:10

buttons67

never liked this song, maybe one day i will learn what im missing.

It's kinda boring. And Bad Co. were also kinda boring. Not as boring as, oh I don't know, Foreigner, for example, but still kinda boring.

Date: June 3, 2020 19:29

Time might have changed the view of this song. What we didn`t know then, was that within both this song (despite the cowbell), and Deep Purple`s "Flight of The Rat", lied what should turn out to be glam rock, with bands like Sweet and Slade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-03 19:33 by noughties.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 3, 2020 19:52

When I think of 'Classic Rock', this is one of the first tunes I would think of. Great tune from start to finish, and it's been embedded in my brain since first hearing it on the radio as a seven year old when it was first released.
You can turn on any classic rock radio station right now, and can almost guarantee you will hear it at some point during any given day. That simple/crunchy opening riff is one for the ages, and will stand the test of time forever...

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 3, 2020 20:18

Since the Stones had to give KD Laing song writing credit for Anybody Seen My Baby , Free should have given the Stones credit for the All right Now Chorus, since it rips off JJ Flash

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 3, 2020 20:29

Never made that connection, and other than the words "All right now", I don't hear any similarities whatsoever.

All right now, baby it's all right now

VS.

But it's all right now, in fact it's a gas

You must be joking.................

Date: June 3, 2020 23:08

Accusations of plagiarism like this wouldn`t have the slightest chance in court. Mind games, that`s what it is.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 4, 2020 02:07

Is this the "I said 'Now look babe' with the crunching guitar that's played on Vlassic Rawk radio EVERY DAY in the US?

Can't stand this tune. I know it's good but it's played as much as Motley Crue's Girls Girls Girls and that Time by Pink Floyd.

Date: June 4, 2020 02:30

-Or this one, talk of being trivialized:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 4, 2020 07:54

The irony is, the catchy, upbeat All Right Now is one of the most atypical Free tunes. That it became their biggest hit and best-known song is a paradoxical twist in rock history.
It is no surprising people’s opinions on this one vary.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 4, 2020 08:14

DGA35
Paddy

Hey Paddy, I know you're in the Vancouver area. Did you know Paul Rodgers lives in Summerland? His wife, a former Miss Canada, is from there. My brother saw him in concert in nearby Penticton and at the end, Paul said something to the effect that he'll be home in 15 minutes. I'm sure he must have a few houses around the world.

Wow, that’s pretty cool, I have friends in Kelowna and Penticton so have passed through summerland many times. Right on the lakes. Beautiful spot.

.... of course she was a former miss Canada, lucky @#$%& !!

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: June 4, 2020 14:26

One of the best songs ever.
But there are so many other Songs by Free that are awesome, too.
E.G. Fire & Water, Mr. Big, Heavy Load.
I immediately will turn on the CD "Fire & Water" or "Free Live" or a best of sampler.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 4, 2020 16:47

One of those tracks that suffers through over-familiarity: any hit by ABBA, Bohemian Rhapsody, err... (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.

They’re all magnificent songs, of course.

Date: June 4, 2020 16:50

noughties

[www.youtube.com]

I don't think that one is played on US classic rock stations (even though Metallica did cover it in Norway) smiling smiley

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: June 4, 2020 17:51

I feel like going and buying a nickel bag of Columbian brown weed after reading this thread.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 4, 2020 18:39

GasLightStreet
Is this the "I said 'Now look babe' with the crunching guitar that's played on Vlassic Rawk radio EVERY DAY in the US?

Can't stand this tune. I know it's good but it's played as much as Motley Crue's Girls Girls Girls and that Time by Pink Floyd.

Try "Wishing Well" for a change...

Agree with you and Big Al that All Right Now, as great as it is imo, suffers through over-familiarity.

Date: June 4, 2020 21:06

DandelionPowderman
noughties

[www.youtube.com]

I don't think that one is played on US classic rock stations (even though Metallica did cover it in Norway) smiling smiley

True, but obviously not made in a vacum, as some perhaps might think.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: June 5, 2020 00:23

It's just kind of ... there.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home