Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Did Blondie "steal" The Tide Is High's cover from Keith?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 27, 2020 14:11

Read somewhere Blondie and X-Pensive Winos had rehearsals at the same location, and the walls were thin.
From that day on, it is also rumoured the Stones or Keith would only play in places with no other artists rehearsing, so there would be no competition listening around

Re: Did Blondie "steal" The Tide Is High's cover from Keith?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 27, 2020 14:22

Same here ....I refused to
let Ron Jeremy take the room next ta me ....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-28 09:43 by Rockman.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: May 27, 2020 14:24

The Tide is High was released in 1980, long before the Winos existed!

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: May 27, 2020 15:23

Captain Teague

Don't think that's a valid excuse for stealin' Keef's song.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: May 27, 2020 15:24

Gotta love Blondie though.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: May 27, 2020 16:34

Britney
Captain Teague

Don't think that's a valid excuse for stealin' Keef's song.

That's a very good point, Britney!

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 27, 2020 17:23

The Tide is High is a 1967 song written by the Paragons. Blondie covered it in 1980. So unless The Paragons stole it from Keith in 1967, probably not a lot of truth to that story.

Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: May 27, 2020 17:55

If I remember correctly, Keith claimed that he had recorded a demo version of the song that was circulating around in NY in the end of the 70ies and Blondie somehow got the idea to cover this song in a more pop-oriented way from his demo. Maybe it was in Bockris Keith Bio. I don't know. I remember that it seemed quite questionable to me, when I first read it.

Date: May 27, 2020 17:58

TumblinDice76
The Tide is High is a 1967 song written by the Paragons. Blondie covered it in 1980. So unless The Paragons stole it from Keith in 1967, probably not a lot of truth to that story.

Sorry, it's not what I suggested
Rumour is Keith covered the Paragons'song during a studio session during the late seventies (ok then, not the Winos), maybe with the idea to release a new version.. To bring a new life to the old song... Think for instance to Run Rudolph Run..

Story goes that Blondie was around and heard by accident Keith's attempt to bring a new life to this old hit.. And they allegedly hurried to record their own cover of the song... So Keith did not release anything at all at the end of the day, because the idea of bringing to life the old song had been "stolen". . Again, it's a rumor.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 27, 2020 18:02

OK, that makes sense and with Keith Covering The Harder they Come and recording songs like Luxury in '74 and later Too Rude it would seem The Tide is High would definitely be a song Keith would have enjoyed. I believe Start Me Up originally had a reggae vibe to it when it was first recorded.

Date: May 27, 2020 18:06

it just got me thinking now... all these demos Keith and Mick recorded over the years...there could be real gems among them (in the vein of the honeymoon tapes etc)

Date: May 27, 2020 18:10

TumblinDice76 if you don't know (or if you do always great to register to this stuff from time to time) the Start Me Up version with reggae vibe:
Start me up early version

And I just stumbled over this while looking for the Start me up version
Blondie Start me up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 27, 2020 18:27

When I heard Look What The Cat Dragged In my immediate thought was 'How dare INXS rip the Stones off like this!'

Of course I was RIGHT.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 27, 2020 18:35

As mentioned, the Paragons, or more precisely, John Holt, wrote the tide is high. but blondie was pretty famous for ripping lyrics, case in point, the jam was moving, total steal of lyrics by I forget who the original NYC rapper was. He was pissed though.

jb

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 27, 2020 19:35

The Jam Was Moving is not a Blondie song.

I have never heard about them allegedly being famous for stealing lyrics, and a quick survey on the net about this allegation didn't yield any result.

Moreover, I don't think recording an already released 1967 song written and recorded by someone else than Keith or The Stones is stealing anything, just because Keith was heard playing it through the wall. Keith doesn't own it or anything. And it's a total crap song anyway (I only know the Blondie version).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-27 19:37 by SomeGuy.

Date: May 27, 2020 19:53

SomeGuy

I have never heard about them allegedly being famous for stealing lyrics, and a quick survey on the net about this allegation didn't yield any result.

Moreover, I don't think recording an already released 1967 song written and recorded by someone else than Keith or The Stones is stealing anything, just because Keith was heard playing it through the wall. Keith doesn't own it or anything. And it's a total crap song anyway (I only know the Blondie version).

Was just stirring the pot, You return the favor by stirring the post. Good

Date: May 27, 2020 20:10

The Joker
SomeGuy

As you can see, my post was not really a direct response to your original post above.

Date: May 27, 2020 22:19

SomeGuy
The Joker
SomeGuy

As you can see, my post was not really a direct response to your original post above.

All good, friend. I'm lost. I'm just reading you. What are the connexions between with The Jam Was Moving, allegedly non-stolen lyrics by Blondie, the year 1967 (when The Tide Is High was written) and Keith?

Date: May 27, 2020 22:22

How that's sweet
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 27, 2020 22:38

Of course, Rockman is the undisputed stirring King.

Date: May 27, 2020 22:39

The Joker
SomeGuy
The Joker
SomeGuy

All good, friend. I'm lost. I'm just reading you. What are the connexions between with The Jam Was Moving, allegedly non-stolen lyrics by Blondie, the year 1967 (when The Tide Is High was written) and Keith?

See the post by dr. Welda, halfway up this page:

"As mentioned, the Paragons, or more precisely, John Holt, wrote the tide is high. but blondie was pretty famous for ripping lyrics, case in point, the jam was moving, total steal of lyrics by I forget who the original NYC rapper was. He was pissed though."

The original song was from 1967, as some others here already said. Finally, Blondie was rumoured to have heard Keith play it through the wall, at least that's what you seemed to imply, if I read you correctly.

It might help to read what others posted on your thread smiling smiley

Date: May 28, 2020 00:50

SomeGuy

It might help to read what others posted on your thread smiling smiley

"As mentioned, the Paragons, or more precisely, John Holt, wrote the tide is high. but blondie was pretty famous for ripping lyrics, case in point, the jam was moving, total steal of lyrics by I forget who the original NYC rapper was. He was pissed though."

I'm sorry. I must be a sensitive person, at least a case sensitive person. Please, don't think low of me. I was fooled because the tide is high was written in lower case, and well as for the poor blondie, who failed to the bottom of a B minus. myapologies.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 28, 2020 01:01

That thread went OFF-TRACK from the moment the "X-Pensive Winos" were mentioned in the first post as a band from the 70s ! That would be embarrassing as a random YouTube comment but on IORR ?!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 28, 2020 01:34

I might give the AUTOAMERICAN record a spin tonight smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 28, 2020 04:04

gotdablouse
That thread went OFF-TRACK from the moment the "X-Pensive Winos" were mentioned in the first post as a band from the 70s ! That would be embarrassing as a random YouTube comment but on IORR ?!

Eh, you know, the fact that Stones lifted Prince's early version of Purple Rain for Worried About You shouldn't be anymore of an error than the X-Pensive Winos ripping off Blondie.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 28, 2020 06:10

gotdablouse

Perhaps went off track with the Ron Jeremy reference.....????? ;-) For those of us old enough to know of him....

Rod

Date: May 28, 2020 06:26

bitusa2012
gotdablouse

Perhaps went off track with the Ron Jeremy reference.....????? ;-) For those of us old enough to know of him....

Wasn't he that arthouse movie guy, intellectual stuff and all...

Date: May 28, 2020 08:19

SomeGuy
bitusa2012
gotdablouse

Wasn't he that arthouse movie guy, intellectual stuff and all...

...so I am told ;-)

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 28, 2020 09:59

But but Rod you'd own all the Ron Jeremy films ...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 28, 2020 15:13

Rockman
But but Rod you'd own all the Ron Jeremy films ...

My Betamax died years ago!!!

Rod

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home