Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Tattoo You Bonus Cuts
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 14, 2022 21:45

GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
Erik_Snow
Indeed, the most disappointing new-material-disc, so far. And that horrible Drift Away....
Meanwhile the Exile disc had some stinkers, it had some excellent ones as well.

But it also goes to show that the best we can hope for now is some 1970s live shows. And that would be terrific, Brussels Affair, Chalk Farms Roundhouse, Leeds 71 in stereo, LA Friday...phew those are all played many times over here. And they have so much to chose from

Still, I never could understand why I Need You was on any of their releases. And that was alllready finished, didn't need any overdubbing.

Travelling Man is excellent too, allthough it needs some serious editing.

also hillside blues, cellophane trousers, i love ladies, munich reggae, the untitled instrumental from the exile sessions

and all the shows they recorded between 72 and 79

plus all them abcko goodies

who really knows what lies in there 60's vaults

Cellophane Trousers got released in 1983.

i was unaware of that

thanks

Re: Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 15, 2022 06:09

Japanese SHM-platinum CD [UICY-40002]

ROCKMAN

Date: February 15, 2022 07:08

Rockman

ohhh!

me want

Date: February 15, 2022 07:41

ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
Erik_Snow
Indeed, the most disappointing new-material-disc, so far. And that horrible Drift Away....

But it also goes to show that the best we can hope for now is some 1970s live shows. And that would be terrific, Brussels Affair, Chalk Farms Roundhouse, Leeds 71 in stereo, LA Friday...phew those are all played many times over here. And they have so much to chose from

Still, I never could understand why I Need You was on any of their releases. And that was alllready finished, didn't need any overdubbing.

also hillside blues, cellophane trousers, i love ladies, munich reggae, the untitled instrumental from the exile sessions

i was unaware of that

thanks

With a new title, though: Too Tough smiling smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: February 15, 2022 10:54

ProfessorWolf
Rockman

ohhh!

me want
Yes. Flat transfer. And probably the fanciest edition of them all. Short version of Slave, though (which is no big deal for me). Main problem - it is out of print for a couple of years and is kind of expensive on the second hand market. This one is still in print and can be ordered from cdjapan [UICY-79247].
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

It is digital clone to [UICY-40002] (prepared from the same glass master), but no platinum and less fancy packed.

However, always keep in mind
_____
Which is the one that has "Start Me Up" on it? Is that TATTOO YOU? Side two is great; "I'm Just Waiting On A Friend" and all that. It's too bad it sounds like it was recorded in a PlayDough Fun Factory...
_____
Steve Hoffman winking smiley.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 15, 2022 18:54

ironbelly
ProfessorWolf
Rockman

ohhh!

me want
Yes. Flat transfer. And probably the fanciest edition of them all. Short version of Slave, though (which is no big deal for me). Main problem - it is out of print for a couple of years and is kind of expensive on the second hand market. This one is still in print and can be ordered from cdjapan [UICY-79247].
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

It is digital clone to [UICY-40002] (prepared from the same glass master), but no platinum and less fancy packed.

_____
Which is the one that has "Start Me Up" on it? Is that TATTOO YOU? Side two is great; "I'm Just Waiting On A Friend" and all that. It's too bad it sounds like it was recorded in a PlayDough Fun Factory...
_____

So..........which SHM CD sounds the best? I was disappointed by the recent release. I don't want to spend the extra for a SHMC CD if it's taken from the 'Deluxe' set. The recent GHS SHM CD sounds fantastic.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: February 15, 2022 19:11

24FPS
So..........which SHM CD sounds the best? I was disappointed by the recent release. I don't want to spend the extra for a SHMC CD if it's taken from the 'Deluxe' set. The recent GHS SHM CD sounds fantastic.
I already answered that question. Apparently, the answer was lost when two threads were merged. Here we go again.
[iorr.org]

The best sounding versions of Tattoo You are Japanese SHM-CDs that originated from flat transfers. I.e. SHM-platinum CD [UICY-40002], SHM-CD [UICY- 75763] and SHM-CD [UICY-79247]. You can buy any of those, they are digital clones. If you have SACD player, than SHM-SACDs [UIGY-9073] or [UIGY-9587]. Mind, that all mentioned above came with short version of Slave.

All other SHM-CDs of TY are made either from 2009 or 2021 remaster.

PS. I do not share the excitement regarding GHS remix/remaster.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 15, 2022 21:42

DandelionPowderman
ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
Erik_Snow

i was unaware of that

thanks

LOL I was waiting to see if that was figured out by ProfessorWolf!

Date: February 16, 2022 05:32

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
Erik_Snow

i was unaware of that

thanks

ha you got me there i should have known that i've read it before but just didn't remember until dandelion pointed it out

still i believe that the original outtake could be reworked by mick into something new and interesting like the "reggae" version of start me up off l&f that many on here liked me included

maybe he could do it as a reimagining of too tough or an entirely new song

it would sure be cool on the black and blue bonus disc bruised and abusedgrinning smiley

Date: February 16, 2022 06:54

ironbelly
ProfessorWolf
Rockman

ohhh!

me want
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

_____
_____

thank you i'll look into it

i already have the album on 8-track, 2 version on cassette, several copies on the original vinyl release plus the deluxe version on vinyl, and the deluxe cd along with the cbs, virgin, and 2009 universal cd's as well

but the shm cd be cool to have too

along with the deluxe version on cassette

anyone get that one?

what's the quality like?

how does it sound?

Date: February 16, 2022 07:49

ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
Erik_Snow

i was unaware of that

thanks

ha you got me there i should have known that i've read it before but just didn't remember until dandelion pointed it out

still i believe that the original outtake could be reworked by mick into something new and interesting like the "reggae" version of start me up off l&f that many on here liked me included

it would sure be cool on the black and blue bonus disc bruised and abusedgrinning smiley

Cellophane Trousers/Too Tough aside, there has been talk for decades that Start Me Up originated during the 1975 sessions for BLACK AND BLUE, which would've, apparently, occurred in January or February of 1975. Yet nothing has ever been mentioned of such a thing except by... probably doesn't matter now.

Although "we" don't all know it, "we" should at this point - the TATTOO YOU version is from 1977 bottoms wise. 2 years later they worked on Neighbours, Hang Fire, No Use In Crying, Let Me Go, Heaven, Down In A Hole, Let Me Go and It's A Lie, among quite a few others.

Imagine if they'd left off Star Star for...

We get what we get, actual time lines be damned!

Date: February 16, 2022 08:39

GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
Erik_Snow

i was unaware of that

thanks

Cellophane Trousers/Too Tough aside, there has been talk for decades that Start Me Up originated during the 1975 sessions for BLACK AND BLUE, which would've, apparently, occurred in January or February of 1975. Yet nothing has ever been mentioned of such a thing except by... probably doesn't matter now.

Although "we" don't all know it, "we" should at this point - the TATTOO YOU version is from 1977 bottoms wise. 2 years later they worked on Neighbours, Hang Fire, No Use In Crying, Let Me Go, Heaven, Down In A Hole, Let Me Go and It's A Lie, among quite a few others.

let complete that thought for ya

Imagine if they'd left off Star Star for... criss cross and star star was left as a finished outtake that never leaked and was released on the deluxe ghs or ty for the first time

ah but then half of the people on here would've hated it

chuck berry rip off yada yada, too vulgar blah blah, stones by the numbers etc.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-16 08:40 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: February 16, 2022 11:47

This SHM (I will have a look at all my Japanese versions) or the ABBEY ROAD one could be sent by owners to Vault files for us to get a listening ?

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: April 10, 2022 19:52

Purchased the set last summer so it's fair to say I've been listening to it all for a bit, & still rotate/play the records weekly.. Tattoo has become my personal fav of the re-issued stuff I own (Exile, Sticky, Goats, Tattoo) which I admit is weird to me cuz when the '81 tour happened I was amongst those who thought their better days were over.. But now Wembley live is so fun to listen to

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-10 19:54 by snoopy2.

Date: April 11, 2022 19:12

ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
Erik_Snow

i was unaware of that

thanks

Imagine if they'd left off Star Star for... criss cross and star star was left as a finished outtake that never leaked and was released on the deluxe ghs or ty for the first time

chuck berry rip off yada yada, too vulgar blah blah, stones by the numbers etc.winking smiley

LOL I was steering towards if Star Star went on TATTOO YOU (and yeah, Criss Cross on SOUP). That would've been 3 SOUP leftovers!

Date: April 11, 2022 23:12

GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
ProfessorWolf
GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
Erik_Snow

i was unaware of that

thanks

LOL I was steering towards if Star Star went on TATTOO YOU (and yeah, Criss Cross on SOUP). That would've been 3 SOUP leftovers!

oh ok i see that now

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 18, 2022 16:26

US Fans can get a steal on this right now. Wish I could jump on it myself...

TY

Date: April 18, 2022 21:32

I had originally got the two disc version of the new Tattoo You release from my local library. I was surprised I didn't at least download the bonus CD disc into my ITunes. I thought maybe it was an oversight, and that I took it back without thinking about it.

I checked it out again and listened to the bonus disc. Now I know. It's the weakest of them all. I would only consider listening again to Shame, Shame, Shame, the reggae version of Start Me Up, and maybe Fast Talking, Slow Walking. They seemed to have put very little effort into this. The booklet barely mentions who played what. There are no bass attributions, and I doubt Bill played on every cut.

It's almost as if Mick can't be bothered with these tracks anymore. Either that or they've indeed scraped the barrel and there isn't that much left in the vault.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 18, 2022 21:37

24FPS
I had originally got the two disc version of the new Tattoo You release from my local library. I was surprised I didn't at least download the bonus CD disc into my ITunes. I thought maybe it was an oversight, and that I took it back without thinking about it.

I checked it out again and listened to the bonus disc. Now I know. It's the weakest of them all. I would only consider listening again to Shame, Shame, Shame, the reggae version of Start Me Up, and maybe Fast Talking, Slow Walking. They seemed to have put very little effort into this. The booklet barely mentions who played what. There are no bass attributions, and I doubt Bill played on every cut.

It's almost as if Mick can't be bothered with these tracks anymore. Either that or they've indeed scraped the barrel and there isn't that much left in the vault.
Come to the ball is fantastic. I'm hoping they'll play it live this summer

Date: April 19, 2022 07:49

24FPS

There's still a lot leftover that has been ignored, whether it's for the TATTOO YOU reissue, which nothing was recorded for by the band, or the SOME GIRLS reissue.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: April 19, 2022 08:47

My 5 vinyl box set arrived today.Amazon UK have it on at £85 right now.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 19, 2022 16:33

GasLightStreet
24FPS

There's still a lot leftover that has been ignored, whether it's for the TATTOO YOU reissue, which nothing was recorded for by the band, or the SOME GIRLS reissue.

There's surely a lot leftover that has been ignored, but we should be aware that there's no unreleased stuff of Gimme Shelter, JJF or, let's say, Ruby Tuesday quality still in the vaults - leftovers are leftovers for a reason, and if someone like 24FPS is disappointed with the Tattoo You bonus disc, he will most likely be disappointed with any further archive release of unreleased studio recordings.

An area they have only recently touched with the GHS bonus disc is the potentially vast array of alternate & working versions of released songs - there might be a truckload of material there that could be more satisfying to listen to than some failed attempts to turn unreleased songs or even rough song sketches like I Love Ladies and the like into something releasable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-19 16:35 by retired_dog.

Date: April 19, 2022 17:06

<if someone like 24FPS is disappointed with the Tattoo You bonus disc, he will most likely be disappointed with any further archive release of unreleased studio recordings>

If Bill plays on most of it, he'll be happy smiling smiley

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: April 19, 2022 17:19

To my tastes, the Tattoo You bonus disc was by far the best one so far! Closely followed by Some Girls, then Exile, then Goats, then Sticky Fingers (which was pointless in my opinion confused smiley )

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: April 19, 2022 20:01

If u attended any of the gigs back in 82 this is a must.And the Super deluxe vinyl edition is top notch!

Date: April 19, 2022 22:20

DandelionPowderman

True. I even liked his marimba playing on 'Don't Be A Stranger'.

Date: April 19, 2022 22:26

retired_dog
GasLightStreet
24FPS

There's surely a lot leftover that has been ignored, but we should be aware that there's no unreleased stuff of Gimme Shelter, JJF or, let's say, Ruby Tuesday quality still in the vaults - leftovers are leftovers for a reason, and if someone like 24FPS is disappointed with the Tattoo You bonus disc, he will most likely be disappointed with any further archive release of unreleased studio recordings.

An area they have only recently touched with the GHS bonus disc is the potentially vast array of alternate & working versions of released songs - there might be a truckload of material there that could be more satisfying to listen to than some failed attempts to turn unreleased songs or even rough song sketches like I Love Ladies and the like into something releasable.

I don't know if that's true. I've liked the bonus releases so far, from EOMS through GHS. Some of them were great songs that simply didn't fit the tone of the album they were making. I understand that TY was cobbled together from different eras, their first archive release really, with a few new ones thrown in. I just didn't get that feeling this time, like I was hearing the great Rolling Stones again, with something novel.

Date: April 20, 2022 00:10

24FPS
DandelionPowderman

True. I even liked his marimba playing on 'Don't Be A Stranger'.

thumbs up

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: June 17, 2022 22:54

Now that I've put a few months listening to them, this has become my favorite of the re-issues for extra material and live concert recording.

I prefer these extra tracks over the Goats Head Soup stuff, and this may be unpopular, but I also prefer the Wembley live over the El Mocambo (tho I love both)

To each their own... smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-17 22:55 by snoopy2.

Date: June 18, 2022 05:09

24FPS
retired_dog
GasLightStreet
24FPS

I don't know if that's true. I've liked the bonus releases so far, from EOMS through GHS. Some of them were great songs that simply didn't fit the tone of the album they were making. I understand that TY was cobbled together from different eras, their first archive release really, with a few new ones thrown in. I just didn't get that feeling this time, like I was hearing the great Rolling Stones again, with something novel.

It's more so of a way to add to the SG reissue since some tracks are from the 1977 sessions.

We can only get small victories like this to take small victories like this to expand the enjoyability of the other reissues sans SF.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home