Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061Next
Current Page: 58 of 61
Re: Tattoo You Bonus Cuts
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 11, 2022 06:32

It’s my favourite “album” of outtakes of any Stones Deluxe. Fantastic.

Rod

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 11, 2022 06:50

DGA35
24FPS
Hairball
Drift Away ranks down there with their worst covers ever imo.

I remember thinking that at least it sounded complete. It didn't have the old Stones cover magic, but it wasn't bad. Of course it doesn't sound like the Stones. It sounds more like a Mick Jagger solo cut.

I always liked the song, had it for years on bootleg. I probably would have liked to have seen this on It's Only R'n'R than Ain't Too Proud To Beg.

I also had it for years on bootleg, and always considered it a much weaker version than the far superior Doby Gray version from 1973 which was a big hit in the US.
I imagine It's Only Rock N Roll would have been a much weaker album had it been included, and thankfully the Stones thought so also by including Ain't Too Proud to Beg instead - one of their better covers.
It finally found a place on the Tattoo You Deluxe, but probably would have been better off left as a forgettable bootleg.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 11, 2022 07:03

It’s fine. I enjoyed the listens when I bought it, definitely. My issue is that I just can’t see myself going back to it, now it’s no longer new and fresh. It’s the same feeling I have towards all the other ‘bonus disc’ releases. Just to point out: I’m not talking about the live releases; they’ll forever be listened to regularly. In my opinion, they’re what makes the bonus discs more worthwhile.

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: February 11, 2022 11:53

Troubles a'comin is fantastic! Drift away and Living In The Heart Of Love as well.
Love it. :-)

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: February 11, 2022 12:04

ProfessorWolf
my favorite of all the sets and to my ears the most cohesive

listen to it far more often then the other deluxe discs

well at least the vinyl

the cd yikes!

and as for scraping the bottom of the barrel

mick sure seemed to have left a lot of great outtakes from the some girls and emotional rescue sessions

jah is not dead, linda lu, munich hilton, misty roads, everlasting is my love, gangster's moll, what's the matter, dancing girls, los trios guitaros, up against the wall, guitar lesson, schoolboy blues, knee trembler, my last plea, what gives you the right, your angel steps out of heaven, not the way to go

and that's just off the top of my head

i can imagine that mick must be saving these for some purpose

maybe the much requested (here at least) deluxe emotional rescue or a box set with the other outtakes from the 80's

then if they can ever work a deal out with abcko i'm sure that many of those albums could get the deluxe treatment

at least beggars (though the idea of 80 year old mick adding vocal over dubs onto outtakes from 1968 gives me a bit of pause)

Tattoo You is my favourite of the bonus tracks too. Then Some Girls, Exile, GHS and finally Sticky Fingers - that one was a waste of time - no 'new' songs a bunch of live versions of songs not even on Sticky Fingers!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 11, 2022 12:12

The Some Girls "bonus disc" is by far my favourite of the outtakes "albums".

Of course it's not really Some Girls outtakes, but for me it stands up as a stand alone album really well .

I've loved it from the off....just really annoyed that it wasn't issued on vinyl.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 11, 2022 12:15

ProfessorWolf

jah is not dead, linda lu, munich hilton, misty roads, everlasting is my love, gangster's moll, what's the matter, dancing girls, los trios guitaros, up against the wall, guitar lesson, schoolboy blues, knee trembler, my last plea, what gives you the right, your angel steps out of heaven, not the way to go

THIS is probably the new album they’ve been working on for 17 years!

Rod

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 11, 2022 14:10

Indeed, the most disappointing new-material-disc, so far. And that horrible Drift Away....
Meanwhile the Exile disc had some stinkers, it had some excellent ones as well.

But it also goes to show that the best we can hope for now is some 1970s live shows. And that would be terrific, Brussels Affair, Chalk Farms Roundhouse, Leeds 71 in stereo, LA Friday...phew those are all played many times over here. And they have so much to chose from

Still, I never could understand why I Need You was on any of their releases. And that was alllready finished, didn't need any overdubbing.

Travelling Man is excellent too, allthough it needs some serious editing.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 11, 2022 14:29

Erik_Snow
Indeed, the most disappointing new-material-disc, so far. And that horrible Drift Away....

But it also goes to show that the best we can hope for now is some 1970s live shows. And that would be terrific, Brussels Affair, Chalk Farms Roundhouse, Leeds 71 in stereo, LA Friday...phew those are all played many times over here. And they have so much to chose from

Still, I never could understand why I Need You was on any of their releases. And that was alllready finished, didn't need any overdubbing.

also hillside blues, cellophane trousers, i love ladies, munich reggae, the untitled instrumental from the exile sessions

and all the shows they recorded between 72 and 79

plus all them abcko goodies

who really knows what lies in there 60's vaults

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 11, 2022 14:35

I think the bonus cuts are much better than expected. In fact I listen(ed) to them more often than to the original 'Tattoo You' album

Date: February 11, 2022 15:03

Barkerboy2
ProfessorWolf
my favorite of all the sets and to my ears the most cohesive

listen to it far more often then the other deluxe discs

well at least the vinyl

the cd yikes!

and as for scraping the bottom of the barrel

mick sure seemed to have left a lot of great outtakes from the some girls and emotional rescue sessions

and that's just off the top of my head

i can imagine that mick must be saving these for some purpose

maybe the much requested (here at least) deluxe emotional rescue or a box set with the other outtakes from the 80's

then if they can ever work a deal out with abcko i'm sure that many of those albums could get the deluxe treatment

at least beggars (though the idea of 80 year old mick adding vocal over dubs onto outtakes from 1968 gives me a bit of pause)

Tattoo You is my favourite of the bonus tracks too. Then Some Girls, Exile, GHS and finally Sticky Fingers - that one was a waste of time - no 'new' songs a bunch of live versions of songs not even on Sticky Fingers!

More like one complete live show (Leeds) and selected live cuts from the Roundhouse. Excellent stuff, imo.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 11, 2022 15:48

DandelionPowderman
More like one complete live show (Leeds) and selected live cuts from the Roundhouse. Excellent stuff, imo.

Yes I know, but those 6 tracks are so excellent, much more than Leeds, that they are still worth mentioning. It bugs me than they didn't release the entire concert tho'

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 11, 2022 15:50

I don't get why the whole Roundhouse show wasn't packaged either.

They played great and the sound is great.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 11, 2022 15:53

ProfessorWolf
Erik_Snow

also hillside blues, cellophane trousers, i love ladies, munich reggae, the untitled instrumental from the exile sessions

and all the shows they recorded between 72 and 79

plus all them abcko goodies

who really knows what lies in there 60's vaults

Cellophane Trousers got released in 1983.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: February 11, 2022 15:59

I like it quite a bit, my only real complaint is the loudness

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 11, 2022 16:16

same old drum beat....easy to criticize and always the same people bringing it down to the same complaint...sorry but the out takes are great...love them...and worth every penny as a fan...grateful if they release more.....

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 11, 2022 16:28

Rip This
same old drum beat....easy to criticize and always the same people bringing it down to the same complaint...sorry but the out takes are great...love them...and worth every penny as a fan...grateful if they release more.....

Like Keith sings;

The bitch keeps bitching,
"The whiners keep whining."
Dropping names and telephone numbers and all

Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: February 11, 2022 16:29

The new and improved sound quality is the best part. You will have to change the sound settings in your phone to activate it.

Hi- Res Lossless 24-bit/192kHz

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 11, 2022 18:24

I still make compilation CDs with different songs thrown on there. I do that with the bonus cuts, and 'current' Rolling Stones singles. Then I'll forget about them, not listen to a CD for a long time, and then pop one in on a long drive. One of the bonus cuts will come up and I'll be pleasantly surprised. It's nice hearing a good Stones cut you're not that familiar with.

As for ABKCO, doesn't the Black Box contain most of the good stuff from their vault?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 11, 2022 18:34

How much do you think the "reggea" start me up is real and how much post production?

I haven't dissected yet but there are many details that sound so similar to the final version, that it is hard to believe that this was the very early version of the song- In particular if compared to other early versions of well known songs-

C

Date: February 11, 2022 18:41

You do have to wonder, sometimes, if this the fan site for people who REALLY REALLY HATE the Rolling Stones....
I like the extras disc a lot, especially Shame Shame Shame and Drift Away, and play it regularly, as I do the Goats Head cuts, and Some Girls extras.
I'd love to get a Black and Blue expanded - with the 11-minute Hey Negrita, and that fantastic, 12-minute (or so), instrumental Munich Hilton among the extras...

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: February 11, 2022 18:42

I think it is a very good album. to me it is fun, fun, fun.
Not as good as TY, but very near.
And I like the live recordings from London very much. Lots of energy!

Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: February 11, 2022 23:27

RockingLonestar
I think it is a very good album. to me it is fun, fun, fun.
Not as good as TY, but very near.
And I like the live recordings from London very much. Lots of energy!

My favorite of the live is Tumbling Dice- so awesome. There's also some lower quality videos of it on YouTube.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: February 11, 2022 23:55

liddas
How much do you think the "reggea" start me up is real and how much post production?

I haven't dissected yet but there are many details that sound so similar to the final version, that it is hard to believe that this was the very early version of the song- In particular if compared to other early versions of well known songs-

C
It's been polished right up. The early rough versions never sounded like that.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 12, 2022 00:15

MadMetaphoricalMax
You do have to wonder, sometimes, if this the fan site for people who REALLY REALLY HATE the Rolling Stones....

Because why? They don't swallow everything their favorite band of all time puts out? Because they're critical of some things, and praise others? Like reality?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 12, 2022 00:22

PalaisRoyale
liddas

C
It's been polished right up. The early rough versions never sounded like that.

Yeah, they used some of the early 'reggae' out-takes as a backing track, but Jagger recreated the vocals based on the full-worked released version. Actually I think he did a great work there, playing around the familiar "Start Me Up" cues. Add there Wood's guitar over-dubs, etc. so there really wasn't that much authenticity left. But I don't give a shit about historical accuracy or authenticity, for me it only matters how the song sounds like. And it sounds great!

- Doxa

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: February 12, 2022 00:22

Rip This

thumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 12, 2022 22:04

24FPS
MadMetaphoricalMax

Because why? They don't swallow everything their favorite band of all time puts out? Because they're critical of some things, and praise others? Like reality?

Well its not just that. No one can like everything. But come on, this is a deluxe release of vaulted tracks reworked, does anyone really expect to get something as good as Tattoo You? It's a great release, very cool tracks overall.

And you must admit, some go beyond not liking, and fancy themselves as some type of musical expert, as if they are auditioning for a job as a music critic of the next big music site/mag, and think they are putting their role in jeopardy if they show they are too much a fanboy.

It's only R 'n' R. Enjoy!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 13, 2022 21:49

Had chance to listen again today, I placed it high on the other thread.

Living should never have been the lead single, it’s not worthy. And it suffers from “loudness”. Would have been better to include without heavy promotion. Gigi is the second most loud sound, but otherwise I give it 8/10

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 14, 2022 20:04

liddas

C

I remember finding an earlier take that was possibly more akin to the reggae version they've gone on and on about and it's not the one on TYD. Why Mick recorded vocals on this one doesn't make sense.

It's too bad they didn't include the LP take with the vocals in progress, the first tracks done early in 1981 because there are lines that were kept for the LP (one is at 2:16) but the rest is different, with hints of what was to happen, with the choruses seemingly "finished" but the verses still in progress.

That might've been better, more akin to how working takes of Mr D and Heartbreaker were on GHSD.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061Next
Current Page: 58 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1957
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home