Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 61
Re: Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 28, 2021 15:47

I wanted to take some time, before making a judgment, well I have to say I liked it a lot.
The best things for me are:
- Troubles A 'Comin
- Shame Shame Shame
- Drift Away (I've always loved this cover, which is superior to others
versions, nice text).
- Fiji Jim (fantastic song, great lyrics, fantastic guitars above all
the slide Ronnie I guess ...)
- It's a Lie
- Come to the Ball
- Fast Talking Slow Walking (captivating ballad)
- Start Me Up (Early Version) (I love this version, it's great and
brilliant, many of my friends say it's better than the original version)
Nice ... the only song that leaves me a little cold è Living in the Heart of Love.

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: October 28, 2021 16:17

Thanks Ironbelly!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 28, 2021 16:28

gonzalo76
I wish I could get a vinyl rip, because Stephen Marcussen went too far this time with his "remaster". CDs and digital downloads are briclwalled, compressed, with dynamic range of 5 and 8 for Wembley. People are not listening to music anymore, they are listening to noise.

Nah, people aren't listening to music anymore, instead they are viewing it in these audio-analysis tools.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 28, 2021 16:35

bitusa2012
RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman

You mean like Rocks Off, All Down The Line, Tumbling Dice and Brown Sugar?

It's what they do with those chords that matter. Personally, I think there are exciting things going on in Living In The Heart Of Love and Come To The Ball as well.

And standard r&b, rockabilly and rock'n'roll chord patterns never get old for my ears, when executed brilliantly - like on some of the songs here (It's A Lie, Fiji Jim).

Me

These songs have an architecture held together by melody, rhythm and an inner necessity.

WTF is an “inner necessity”? Sorry, I’ve never heard that musical term

Neither do I. I want to say that these songs chosen by DP are a great, organic whole, whereas with some of the new songs you have more the impression of an unfinished, fragmentary torso.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: October 28, 2021 16:39

LeonidP
gonzalo76
I wish I could get a vinyl rip, because Stephen Marcussen went too far this time with his "remaster". CDs and digital downloads are briclwalled, compressed, with dynamic range of 5 and 8 for Wembley. People are not listening to music anymore, they are listening to noise.

Nah, people aren't listening to music anymore, instead they are viewing it in these audio-analysis tools.

Sad thing my ears don't need to see anything 2009 remaster desaster -> 2021 remaster even worse. My hearing was better 30 years ago so I may remember the CBS-CDs a little to good.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 28, 2021 16:40

Zindy
Mathijs
Zindy
Mathijs
...The backing track of this new 2021 release of SMU is available in tape traders circles...

Stop pretending you don't have it. When have you ever shared anything here, you can do it now. Or tell your friend Remco to share it.

Remco hasn't taken any orders from me in 25 years.

Mathijs

GasLightStreet
Here.

GasLightStreet, not that well-known one. Two more reggae versions exist, one of them turned into the 2021 Early Version. Mathijs elegantly avoided the subject (he has both versions). Maybe you can ask Mathijs if he would like to share, obviously I didn't succeed.

Who are you anyway, and how do you know Remco?

Mathijs

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 28, 2021 17:02

bitusa2012
The more I listen, and I am listening often, the more and more I reckon the Lost and Found disc would have made a great mid 80’s Stones album in its full without the alternate Start me Up. It’s fantastic.

The best disc of outtakes The Stones have released on any of their Deluxe issues. No real dud.

The ONLY issue, has it been released as an album after the Start me Up / Tattoo You juggernaut, would have been the lack of a big hit single on it.

I have given a listen to the Lost and Found disc several times now. As a whole, I would rate it as 7/10 (at best). There is nothing on the nine tracks that stands out or grabs me. From my perspective, the best disc of outtakes/rarities that the Stones have released thus far is the bonus disc featured on Some Girls. I would even go so far and argue that the quality of tunes on the bonus disc of Some Girls (Claudine, Do You Think I Really Care, We Had It All, I Love You Too Much, etc) holds up quite well alongside the original release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-28 17:04 by Sighunt.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 28, 2021 17:24

ironbelly
TheGreek
I just got mine yesterday in the mail , and on the shelf it goes along with the previous Bigger Bang Box set . Unopened , some day maybe ?
Mine already went back for replacement. The outer box was damaged upon arrival. Very poor packaging by amazon and, apparently, reckless delivery by post office. Not to mention a bit stupid construction of the box itself.

Sorry to hear that . Mine came from Walmart who I purchase most of my media from . Never Amazon for the reason you described as I have heard many others with the same concern .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2021 17:39

TheGreek
ironbelly
TheGreek
I just got mine yesterday in the mail , and on the shelf it goes along with the previous Bigger Bang Box set . Unopened , some day maybe ?
Mine already went back for replacement. The outer box was damaged upon arrival. Very poor packaging by amazon and, apparently, reckless delivery by post office. Not to mention a bit stupid construction of the box itself.

Sorry to hear that . Mine came from Walmart who I purchase most of my media from . Never Amazon for the reason you described as I have heard many others with the same concern .

I'll give Mick the last word on this..."sometimes I wonder why, you do these things to me".

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 28, 2021 17:43

glimmertwin1
LeonidP
gonzalo76

Sad thing my ears don't need to see anything 2009 remaster desaster -> 2021 remaster even worse. My hearing was better 30 years ago so I may remember the CBS-CDs a little to good.
Second this. You do not need audio analysis tool to tell the remaster is bad.
However, the tool is useful if one wants to compare different mastering in a kind of independent way. Because all those audiophile 'bright sound, open sound, breezy sound etc.' are very different for different system and humans. Some users of this forum found 2009 remaster sound good winking smiley.

PS. Last weekend I had a ride on suburban train. I had digital files from Tattoo You ripped to mp3 and loaded to Samsung smartphone. I used cheap JBL Tune 500 headphones. Sure, it was necessary to lower the volume for original album and bonus tracks, they are too loud. In these conditions they sound not that drastically bad winking smiley. But it does not mean that it is possible to call this remaster as an acceptable one. Live portion was more or less OK from the start, not much different from other recent From The Vault releases.

Date: October 28, 2021 17:47

TheGreek
ironbelly
TheGreek

Unfortunately, amazon in many cases is the only cheap option in EU. Most of local retailers had the box priced 135-150€ vs. 109€ on amazon. So, you know...

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 28, 2021 18:03

Mathijs
Four Stone Walls
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

According to Kimsey this version is from the BAB-sessions.

That's not about the deluxe version, though, it simply says 'first reggae version' or whatever as in that's when they started working on it. This is an earlier take than the LP take from 1977.

Have you read the book that came with the superdeluxe-set? Kimsey is saying that this version, on LP2, is indeed from the BAB-sessions. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of the quote later.

Kinsey says it's from 1975 sessions. Mathis says no such version now exists and all(?) versions we have are from '78. ( Why not '77 Mathis?)
So who is right? I think Kinsey.

I noticed from the Trouble's a Coming thread that Mathis is certain it is from 1978 ( again, why not '77?) because of Keith's guitar and amp set-up. Sounds knowledgeable and plausible. Mathis knows his equipment stuff.
But Kinsey says it's from '79 Bahamas sessions.
To me TAC does not have the same vibe or sound as other ER tracks so. I have, until now at least been inclined to believe Mathis.
Who is right?

In my opinion -and it is indeed more of an educated guess - there are sonic differences in the various recording sessions. In 1977 Charlie still used his black Gretsch set, in February 1978 he added the China crash, from April 1978 on he changed to the maple Gretsch set. Wyman used his Ampeg London bass for early 1977 sessions and the long scale Travis Bean for the remainder of the sessions, and in late January or early February 1978 received the short scale Travis Bean. 1977 was a mix of Boogie and Fender amps with various guitars, whereas from 1979 on especially Keith used the Boogie MKI and the Tele Custom almost exclusively. Pathe Marconi has a denser mix, with less separation between the guitars (almost a mono sound, like on Imagination), and 1979 has a very clear and crisp sound, with a cracking snare and high pitched Tele bends.

There's more to it -but in general you can get a feel for when something was recorded. So about Start Me up: that really sounds like the old black Gretsch set, no China, Bill is playing the short scale Travis Bean. Guitar amps are Boogie. This leads to a most likely recording date of February 1978.

They could have played it for sure in 1975, but any of the 1975 versions simply is not available to us.

Mathijs

Hey, thanks a bundle Mathis, great stuff. You're a brick.

It's a Lie?

I do hear a bit of drum treatment ( like on She's So Cold) on that so it could be
1979 after all? In which case a much better ER track than some released on that album, imo.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 28, 2021 21:11

treaclefingers
TheGreek
ironbelly
TheGreek

I'll give Mick the last word on this..."sometimes I wonder why, you do these things to me".

So "is it any wonder that we fuss and fight?"

- Doxa

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: October 28, 2021 22:16

I have decided to buy the old CBS mix from the 80s. I don't like the new mixes at all. The other stuff is available as MP3. So I'm happy.
I'll try to get more of the CBS mixes. Tatto You sounds great and I guess the others do.too.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 28, 2021 22:28

micha063
I have decided to buy the old CBS mix from the 80s. I don't like the new mixes at all. The other stuff is available as MP3. So I'm happy.
I'll try to get more of the CBS mixes. Tatto You sounds great and I guess the others do.too.

I would skip IORR and, if I remember correctly, Exile (a capped off SV)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-28 22:32 by maumau.

Date: October 28, 2021 22:28

micha063
Not all old CBS CDs are equally good.
Sticky Fingers I a bit thin on bass
EOMS, GHS and IORR are a bit muddy. EOMS has a bug - volume drop in vocal in Sweet Virginia.
The rest are perfectly OK.

Date: October 28, 2021 23:18

ironbelly
micha063
EOMS, GHS and IORR are a bit muddy. EOMS has a bug - volume drop in vocal in Sweet Virginia.

Thank you for the info!
So I guess for these ones it should be better to try the virgin mixes. Am I correct?

Date: October 28, 2021 23:20

micha063
ironbelly
micha063

Thank you for the info!
So I guess for these ones it should be better to try the virgin mixes. Am I correct?
Yes.

Date: October 28, 2021 23:29

So B&B, Love You Live, Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You and Undercover seem to be the good ones of the CBS mixes,
I just bought Love You Live on Ebay and wait for delivery. I still have all the vinyl releases and about 15 years ago I made a digital recording of my Love You Live record and some others.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: October 28, 2021 23:54

To my ears I'd the Virgin 70's catalogue sounds best and the 2009 remasters the worst.

For the 60's Stones CD's, I use the DSD reissues; a good step up in quality for a small outlay.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 29, 2021 01:07

Yup, for 71-81 it's the 94 Virgins...60's it's the 2002's. Hands down.

Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: October 29, 2021 01:15

The Japanese SACDs of the 70s albums are top notch for me. I got them all when they came out a few years ago. Virgin mixes come behind them.

Date: October 29, 2021 01:48

bakersfield
To my ears I'd the Virgin 70's catalogue sounds best and the 2009 remasters the worst.

For the 60's Stones CD's, I use the DSD reissues; a good step up in quality for a small outlay.

shadooby
Yup, for 71-81 it's the 94 Virgins...60's it's the 2002's. Hands down.
I am a minority here but I do not like Virgin remaster. Because it sounds a bit digital and harsh. Also, it suffers from some clipping. Actually, almost every peak that approaches the maximum is 'shaved'. Maybe it is not that important, maybe it adds some 'aggression' to the sound but Virgin CDs just does not sound right for me (sure as a completist I have them in collection).

To make this statement clear - here are pictures for illustration. This is not my ears, this is audio-analysis tool. Waveforms expanded. Start Me Up, a peak at ~10 sec into the song, same area for different mastering.

Start Me Up, 1986 CBS CD

Start Me Up, 2011 Japanese flat transfer

These waveforms look similar.

Start Me Up, 1994 Virgin CD

Peaks have flat tops. They are 'shaved' by clipping. Flat top = distortion.
You can try other place of this track or different songs from different Virgin CD (you name it...). Almost every loudest peaks on all Virgin CDs are shaved like this. You can see it yourself in Sound Forge or Audacity.

Posted by: Zindy ()
Date: October 29, 2021 02:56

Mathijs
Zindy
Mathijs
Zindy
Mathijs
...The backing track of this new 2021 release of SMU is available in tape traders circles...

Stop pretending you don't have it. When have you ever shared anything here, you can do it now. Or tell your friend Remco to share it.

Remco hasn't taken any orders from me in 25 years.

Mathijs

GasLightStreet
Here.

GasLightStreet, not that well-known one. Two more reggae versions exist, one of them turned into the 2021 Early Version. Mathijs elegantly avoided the subject (he has both versions). Maybe you can ask Mathijs if he would like to share, obviously I didn't succeed.

Who are you anyway, and how do you know Remco?

Mathijs

I'm your new friend, please share the other two reggae versions of SMU, I know you've got them. Everybody knows Remco, a true legend.

At least you haven't denied yet.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 29, 2021 08:14

Doxa
bitusa2012
treaclefingers
bitusa2012
The more I listen, and I am listening often, the more and more I reckon the Lost and Found disc would have made a great mid 80’s Stones album in its full without the alternate Start me Up. It’s fantastic.

The best disc of outtakes The Stones have released on any of their Deluxe issues. No real dud.

The ONLY issue, has it been released as an album after the Start me Up / Tattoo You juggernaut, would have been the lack of a big hit single on it.

That didn't curtail any of their other subsequent releases!

True but I think they may have thought that She Was Hot and/or Undercover itself would be big. Especially the former which has a similar sonic sound to it as Start me Up. To my ears anyway.

Yeah, at the moment I think that this LOST & FOUND is the best Stones album since... yeah.. TATTOO YOU, but the idea that it would have been released after TATTOO YOU instead of, say, UNDERCOVER or DIRTY WORK... Well, that's a fascinating idea, since technically that would have been possible, but I don't think it would have worked. I mean, now it might sound being a graet album relaesed in mid-80's, but at the time back then I don't think it would have been hailed that much.

First of all, the idea of them releasing just another album of old rejects again would have made them look a bit desperate and back then they still were considered largely a living and breathing band that supposed to create something novel. TATTOO YOU was a happy expection to a rule, but another sort of similar album would have looked pretty bad for their image as a creative unit.

Well.

Since you brought it up... at the time no one knew that TATTOO YOU was an album of "old rejects" so they would not've looked desperate had they done another one of that sort - and there's no way ANY of us would know otherwise at the time yet alone years, regardless of this 2021 release, considering nothing has ever been said of what else, if they did, like leftovers from the IORR sessions, that Kimsey/Jagger worked on yet alone what else Kimsey found that was offered up on top, between the GHS and ER sessions, of what was worked on/could've been worked on/was tossed aside. And that has zero to do with a "big single", especially since Keith thought Start Me Up sucked:

(T)here's still loads (from those sessions). I mean, we could get another album out of that bunch. But that's an advantage you don't think about, really, with a band that goes on for a long time. One way or another, you end up with a backlog of really good stuff that, for one reason or another, you didn't get the chance to finish or put out because it was the wrong tempo or too long - purely technical reasons, you know? Sometimes we write our songs in installments - just get the melody and the music, and we'll cut the tracks and write the words later. That way, the actual tracks have matured, just like wine - you just leave it in the cellar for a bit, and it comes out a little better a few years later. It's stupid to LEAVE all that great stuff just for want of finishing it off and getting it together.

- Keith Richards, 1981

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: October 29, 2021 08:24

RobertJohnson
I have listened to the new songs several times now. The highlights are undoubtedly the cover versions. Of the original compositions, only Fast Talking Slow Walking is worth mentioning. This is the only self-composed song that has a certain musical architecture. Everything else are arbitrary chord progressions that could be different, and a lot of Jagger noise that could be different, too.

Then you must not be a fan of any Stones album from 1978 onward.

Define "arbitrary chord progressions". SFTD has 2 "chord progressions". Jumpin' Jack Flash and Street Fighting Man have 2 "chord progressions". Gimme Shelter has 1.5 "chord progressions". Tumbling Dice has 2 "chord progressions. There are a lot more.

Strange enough as it is with anything regarding the Stones can be, some of their songs that have more than 2 "chord progressions", people don't seem to like and/or care for.

Date: October 29, 2021 08:31

Mathijs
Four Stone Walls
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

According to Kimsey this version is from the BAB-sessions.

That's not about the deluxe version, though, it simply says 'first reggae version' or whatever as in that's when they started working on it. This is an earlier take than the LP take from 1977.

Have you read the book that came with the superdeluxe-set? Kimsey is saying that this version, on LP2, is indeed from the BAB-sessions. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of the quote later.

Kinsey says it's from 1975 sessions. Mathis says no such version now exists and all(?) versions we have are from '78. ( Why not '77 Mathis?)
So who is right? I think Kinsey.

I noticed from the Trouble's a Coming thread that Mathis is certain it is from 1978 ( again, why not '77?) because of Keith's guitar and amp set-up. Sounds knowledgeable and plausible. Mathis knows his equipment stuff.
But Kinsey says it's from '79 Bahamas sessions.
To me TAC does not have the same vibe or sound as other ER tracks so. I have, until now at least been inclined to believe Mathis.
Who is right?

In my opinion -and it is indeed more of an educated guess - there are sonic differences in the various recording sessions. In 1977 Charlie still used his black Gretsch set, in February 1978 he added the China crash, from April 1978 on he changed to the maple Gretsch set. Wyman used his Ampeg London bass for early 1977 sessions and the long scale Travis Bean for the remainder of the sessions, and in late January or early February 1978 received the short scale Travis Bean. 1977 was a mix of Boogie and Fender amps with various guitars, whereas from 1979 on especially Keith used the Boogie MKI and the Tele Custom almost exclusively. Pathe Marconi has a denser mix, with less separation between the guitars (almost a mono sound, like on Imagination), and 1979 has a very clear and crisp sound, with a cracking snare and high pitched Tele bends.

There's more to it -but in general you can get a feel for when something was recorded. So about Start Me up: that really sounds like the old black Gretsch set, no China, Bill is playing the short scale Travis Bean. Guitar amps are Boogie. This leads to a most likely recording date of February 1978.

They could have played it for sure in 1975, but any of the 1975 versions simply is not available to us.

Mathijs

You defy what you get at: it was recorded in 1977, the same session as Miss You.

Have you counted how many songs on SG have the China crash? What about ER and TY?

The tone of the toms gives away when the TY songs were recorded. The China crash is an added plus to when those songs were cut.

Date: October 29, 2021 08:34

LeonidP
gonzalo76

You're lost about that critique. The ears don't lie about brickwalled remasters.

Which the entire point you seem to have missed: LISTENING.

Date: October 29, 2021 08:40

micha063

This is starting to creep in with some people and it makes zero sense:

TATTOO YOU 2021 is not a new mix. It's not a remix. It's not a different mix.

That one accolade belongs to GOATS HEAD SOUP 2020.

Remix and remaster are just as different as a turtle and a cotton rug.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 29, 2021 08:57

GasLightStreet
micha063

This is starting to creep in with some people and it makes zero sense:

TATTOO YOU 2021 is not a new mix. It's not a remix. It's not a different mix.

That one accolade belongs to GOATS HEAD SOUP 2020.

Remix and remaster are just as different as a turtle and a cotton rug.

Just out of curiosity, does a mars bar factor into this equation at all?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1818
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home