Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 61
Re: Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 26, 2021 11:49

gotdablouse

Fast Talking was started at Criteria Studios in Miami BEFORE the Kingston sessions. I can't remember these sessions ever being mentioned anywhere ?

Me neither but Nico added an entry in his 1972 page (#720700A).
It'd seem logical the band used the quite long gap in the middle of the 72 tour to "do sth", so to speak.
I'd venture to say they also used the studio to listen to the June 24/25 tapes ang get a feel of how they sounded on the tour...

EDIT :
"“One night, we were recording the Rolling Stones, and the president of Atlantic Records flew in with a friend of his,” recalls former Criteria engineer and producer Howard Albert, who now owns Vision Records in Miami.

“It was like 2 in the morning, and he said, ‘You know, my friend Sal is a painter. Go get him some paint, and he’ll paint a barnyard scene.’ We’re thinking, a barnyard scene? Nooooooo. So we never got the paint. The next morning, he says: ‘You know who my friend Sal was? Salvador Dali!’ “
[www.miamiherald.com]

That 72 tour trek was loaded with famous people!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-26 16:12 by dcba.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 26, 2021 13:21

I wonder if they considered releasingHillside Blues, Red Blood Wine or Traveling Man , Munich Reggae,Separately,Man Eating Woman, Nellacote Instrumental, Jah is Not Dead instead of a cover of Drift Away which is inferior to the Dobie Gray version

Posted by: erad ()
Date: October 26, 2021 13:23

Hillside Blues is so darn good. Deserves an official release.

Date: October 26, 2021 13:29

erad
Hillside Blues is so darn good. Deserves an official release.
Maybe Mick forgot about it

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: October 26, 2021 13:31

Anyone who ordered the 4 cd version on French Amazon has had it shipped yet?

No news on mine atm.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 26, 2021 13:42

rebelhipi

No news on mine atm.
In the message I got they say it's for today or tomorrow winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: October 26, 2021 13:44

Honestman
rebelhipi

No news on mine atm.
In the message I got they say it's for today or tomorrow winking smiley
Ah, good news. Thanks!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 26, 2021 14:26

ChrisM42
Start Me Up (4:10) – The early reggae version a.k.a. ‘Never Stop’. Released on “The Pain of Love” DAC-111 (4:55 with quick fade out) and “Start Us Up” Mighty Diamonds, MD 2009 (2:16) and ‘Emotional Rescue Demos’ SODD 125 to name a few.
Recorded: First reggae version recorded at Musicland Studios, Munich, Germany on March 19 - April 4, 1975.
Note: The version on ‘Lost & Found’ has newly recorded vocal track with the nearly complete ‘rock’ lyric over the reggae instrumental. The unauthorized versions are much less developed with an incomplete song hook. They actually sound more reggae than the ‘L&F’ version.

All versions available to us are from 1978. Kimsey stated they did 40 takes of Never Stop the night they recorded the backing track for Miss You. Also, the drum and snare sound is that of 1977/1978 Pathe Marconi and not 1975. The backing track of this new 2021 release of SMU is available in tape traders circles and is from 1978 for sure.

Mathijs

Date: October 26, 2021 14:30

JakeA
listen to the 2021 version, start at 3:55 and you will hear the acoustic most clearly

Yes, it's there! Great find! It's the same acoustic as the 1981 overdub they removed. But it's absolutely here at 3:55.

Mathijs

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 26, 2021 14:46

Started sinking into Wembley, it's good to my ears!!!

TATTO YOU 40 ANNIVERSARY LYRICS ( 9 EXTRA SONGS )
Posted by: MAYO ()
Date: October 26, 2021 16:41

I got my 2 vinyl copie today but the are no lirys book insert.

I am interested in the 9 new extra songs lirycs, my english is not bad but

the lirycs help us with the english language as no to be our first language

i would appreciate if someone can help me to get them

best regards

Re: TATTO YOU 40 ANNIVERSARY LYRICS ( 9 EXTRA SONGS )
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 26, 2021 17:00

MAYO

I am interested in the 9 new extra songs lirycs

Some are on [Keno.org] .

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 26, 2021 17:08

Finally made it to listen to mine (the 2CD version) and had it followed by listening to the 1994 Virgin version ...

Apart from the brickwalling, what I find additionally disturbing is the volume boost they gave to the bass, which quite on its own suffices to suffocate the music. Now I do like Bill's bass playing on TY - seriously, he plays some great bass there that gives the music more life, depth and variety - but this mix literally takes it out of proportion.

Listening to the 1994 Virgin CD right afterwards was a real relief: what a clear, well-balanced plastic (in the sense of plasticity) mix! I guess that for the time being, this will have been not only the first but also the last listening of the 2021 mix (other than for analytical purposes, maybe). Unfortunately I can't compare with the original LP from back in 1981 because my turntable's not working. (Also, the LP got quite some spins over the years/decades, so possibly suffered a bit from that, too.)

I can't compare to the CBS or Japan SHM versions because I don't have them. Otherwiser, the Stones CDs that were available in my area before the Virgin CDs came out were just flat-sounding and very hissy, so I skipped them (and saved a lot of dough - hard to believe nowadays but there was a time when CDs were really expensive...).

As for the Lost&Found disc, I will have to listen to that one a few more times. At first listening there was nothing that really blew me off the sofa - or rather maybe, nothing I would have wished to be part of the TY album. Somehow the songs are too different in character from what ended up on TY. As with other bonus CDs, I feel like they (or here, Kimsey, or Mick) had good reasons why they were ultimately not chosen for the original album. They might have made an interesting follow-up to TY, though (and spared us their nadir album Undercover ...).

So, and now that TY40 is off the list, let's hope that they will really finish the bloody new album once the tour is over ...

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 26, 2021 20:36

Mathijs
JakeA
listen to the 2021 version, start at 3:55 and you will hear the acoustic most clearly

Yes, it's there! Great find! It's the same acoustic as the 1981 overdub they removed. But it's absolutely here at 3:55.

Mathijs

It’s in the whole song. You can hear it right at 0:31/32 seconds emphasizing the riff.

2:17 2:54 3:04 3:21 and so on.

It’s buried so it’s probably Taylor smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-26 20:44 by TravelinMan.

Date: October 26, 2021 20:44

doitywoik
Finally made it to listen to mine (the 2CD version) and had it followed by listening to the 1994 Virgin version ...

Apart from the brickwalling, what I find additionally disturbing is the volume boost they gave to the bass, which quite on its own suffices to suffocate the music. Now I do like Bill's bass playing on TY - seriously, he plays some great bass there that gives the music more life, depth and variety - but this mix literally takes it out of proportion.

Listening to the 1994 Virgin CD right afterwards was a real relief: what a clear, well-balanced plastic (in the sense of plasticity) mix! I guess that for the time being, this will have been not only the first but also the last listening of the 2021 mix (other than for analytical purposes, maybe). Unfortunately I can't compare with the original LP from back in 1981 because my turntable's not working. (Also, the LP got quite some spins over the years/decades, so possibly suffered a bit from that, too.)

I can't compare to the CBS or Japan SHM versions because I don't have them. Otherwiser, the Stones CDs that were available in my area before the Virgin CDs came out were just flat-sounding and very hissy, so I skipped them (and saved a lot of dough - hard to believe nowadays but there was a time when CDs were really expensive...).

As for the Lost&Found disc, I will have to listen to that one a few more times. At first listening there was nothing that really blew me off the sofa - or rather maybe, nothing I would have wished to be part of the TY album. Somehow the songs are too different in character from what ended up on TY. As with other bonus CDs, I feel like they (or here, Kimsey, or Mick) had good reasons why they were ultimately not chosen for the original album. They might have made an interesting follow-up to TY, though (and spared us their nadir album Undercover ...).

So, and now that TY40 is off the list, let's hope that they will really finish the bloody new album once the tour is over ...
The bass for me is not the problem.The pianos are mixed too high in tracks like Fast Talking and Living in the Heart and the guitars are too low. In fact, I could do without any piano on Fast Talking.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 26, 2021 22:10

DandelionPowderman

According to Kimsey this version is from the BAB-sessions.

That's not about the deluxe version, though, it simply says 'first reggae version' or whatever as in that's when they started working on it. This is an earlier take than the LP take from 1977.

Posted by: Zindy ()
Date: October 27, 2021 04:19

Mathijs
...The backing track of this new 2021 release of SMU is available in tape traders circles...

Stop pretending you don't have it. When have you ever shared anything here, you can do it now. Or tell your friend Remco to share it.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 27, 2021 05:11

To me Wembley is the the highlight of the reissue. Great show

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 27, 2021 07:22

Zindy
Mathijs
...The backing track of this new 2021 release of SMU is available in tape traders circles...

Stop pretending you don't have it. When have you ever shared anything here, you can do it now. Or tell your friend Remco to share it.

Here.

Date: October 27, 2021 11:06

Zindy
Mathijs

Remco hasn't taken any orders from me in 25 years.

Mathijs

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: October 27, 2021 12:16

Bashlets
To me Wembley is the the highlight of the reissue. Great show

Yes I can't stop listening to it too. Wish they'd release more concerts from the old days.

Date: October 27, 2021 12:59

Here's my take for The Arts Desk on the Tattoo You reissue in its various formats - I had a streaming link for the concert, and now have the 2CD set and I love it, though I still prefer some of the original, unadorned bootleg versions, especially of It's a Lie, which just bounces!
But I'm loving it. First CD edition of the album - I only have the original 1981 vinyl otherwise, bought on the day of release ....

https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/rolling-stones%E2%80%99-tattoo-you-40

Date: October 27, 2021 13:03

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

That's not about the deluxe version, though, it simply says 'first reggae version' or whatever as in that's when they started working on it. This is an earlier take than the LP take from 1977.

Have you read the book that came with the superdeluxe-set? Kimsey is saying that this version, on LP2, is indeed from the BAB-sessions. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of the quote later.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 27, 2021 21:32

Listening to the 5LP Deluxe version right now. Did not have high expectations, but I really like it. I think it's better than the Goats head soup box.
- Regular album is nothing new. Great album, but seems the sound is a little on the treble side. I miss the bass!
- new songs: some real treats here. I really like Come to the ball, Fiji Jim, Drift away (nice vocals) and the alternate Start me up version.
- Wembley live: expected something like Still life, but this is much better. A bit like Some girls live in Texas. This is the icing on the cake.
- Book is also nice, some great pics here.

They did a great job with this one.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 27, 2021 22:35

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Have you read the book that came with the superdeluxe-set? Kimsey is saying that this version, on LP2, is indeed from the BAB-sessions. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of the quote later.

Kinsey says it's from 1975 sessions. Mathis says no such version now exists and all(?) versions we have are from '78. ( Why not '77 Mathis?)
So who is right? I think Kinsey.

I noticed from the Trouble's a Coming thread that Mathis is certain it is from 1978 ( again, why not '77?) because of Keith's guitar and amp set-up. Sounds knowledgeable and plausible. Mathis knows his equipment stuff.
But Kinsey says it's from '79 Bahamas sessions.
To me TAC does not have the same vibe or sound as other ER tracks so. I have, until now at least been inclined to believe Mathis.
Who is right?

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: October 27, 2021 22:52

Just had a listen on spotify (the paid version) -

mastering is odd - what a bummer sad smiley

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: October 27, 2021 22:58

doitywoik

I can't compare to the CBS or Japan SHM versions because I don't have them. Otherwiser, the Stones CDs t

You're absolutely right. If you have the Virgin CD you don' t need the CBS-CD or the fancy japanese stuff.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 27, 2021 23:22

I still have my 1981 vinyl, I will definitively stick with it when I want to listen to TY (crackles and all)

not even so many crackles spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-27 23:35 by maumau.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 28, 2021 00:15

UK Midweek sales update (Friday-Tuesday sales)

Albums

1 Elton John - The Lockdown Sessions (22,921)
2 Duran Duran - Future Past (15,215)
3 Lana Del Rey - Blue Bannisters (14,498)
4 Biffy Clyro - The Myth of the Happily Ever After (13,340)
5 Coldplay - Music of the Spheres (10,557)
6 The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You (5,782)
7 Adele - 25 (4,682)
8 Mimi Webb - Seven Shades of Heartbreak (4,541)
9 Self Esteem - Prioritise Pleasure (4,012)
10 Adele - 21 (3,671)

Last year with GHS, Universal did a good job to get to #1, lots of promotion on radio, big sale on the official store/itunes, this time they did nothing and the sales could be half, at best, of what GHS did last year with 13k to debut at #1.

All the albums on the Top 10 are with a sale offer (Signed Bundle, Amazon/Itunes/Official Store discount, Signed CDs/Vinyl) except the Stones.

It looks like Universal is happy with a Top 10 debut and that's it.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 28, 2021 00:18

In the US the re-issue is on target to debut with 18-20k, currently at #13 (14k units so far) on the midweek report.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home