Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 61
Re: Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: October 24, 2021 21:07

I am enjoying the hell out of this release.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 24, 2021 22:06

WorriedAboutYou
I am enjoying the hell out of this release.

Same; absolutely loving the bonus tracks. These 9, plus the 3 from GHS (the wonderful Criss Cross, plus All the Rage & Scarlet), I compiled as an album for the ipod and playlist on YouTube. A 12-track "new" album full of high quality material.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 24, 2021 22:21

New appreciation for SMU. It seemed slower and more deliberate than before, and for the first time considered it a classic. Slave is incredible, Sonny Rollins shines on this remaster

Posted by: erad ()
Date: October 24, 2021 23:30

bakersfield
I think it's hilarious that so many of us who spent years listening to crap bootlegs back in the day are now bitching about official releases that are in a different league. My go-to bootleg from the 82 tour was 'Never Stop' from Gothenburg. It sounds horrible now. Wembley is 100 x better.

I was at Wembley on 25/6/82 and the recording sounds just like the gig did. A little murk doesn't detract from the experience. I was just now listening to 'Let it Bleed' - pure joy - the greatest rock and roll band in the world at their very best. Brick walled, lossy or pristine,...I don't care ...Let's enjoy it!
Sorry but you're missing the point. This is an official release, not a bootleg. And a very expensive one at that. We should expect more than a slightly better than average sounding bootleg. There are tonnes of 'official bootlsgs' released by other artists which soumd much better. Hell the Stones themselves have released much better sounding stuff
Basically since they ditched the 'From the Vault' moniker all of these archival releases have sounded pretty bad. Either the band simply doesn't care and know they'll sell anyway, or whomever is remastering these is doing a horrible job. The fact is this release just like plenty before it (Miami '94 for example) sounds like a raw soundboard that I would expect to download off a blog or a torrent.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: October 24, 2021 23:45

Agree, the Copocabana release tool the cake for horrible sound. Every bootleg from the 2012 shows and beyond sound better than these releases. And as you pointed out, for the price they are beyond disappointing.

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: October 25, 2021 02:15

where would it be possible to find the lyrics for disc2?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 25, 2021 02:35

Mathijs
I am still not very positive about the new release....I really dislike Fiji Jim and especially the horrendous fake reggae version of Start Me Up. What the F was Jagger thinking to take an early outtake and overdub it to death? Fast Talking always was very much cliché, and Jagger's new singing makes it even more cliché.

But, I really like Troubles AC, SSS, DA and It's a Lie. Great tunes that Jagger did a great job on. And I actually really like Come to the Ball -this is the kind of music that nobody makes anymore, I like Jagger's off-the-cuff singing here, and listen to Wyman pushing the beat. Great!

Then the Wembley show...It just doesn't sound very nice in my opinion, it is just not very pleasant to listen to. The sound is not much better than a good bootleg, very midrange heavy and very cluttered. And the band sounds like they simply have no fun at all. They play like they are having a fight. Jagger sounds like he is not comfortable at all, and he is acting out a persona, with a fake English accent (to my ears at least).

Mathijs
You know more about guitars than me, but could the guitar in the left speaker that plays the riff from the Dobie Gray original be Taylor? And why couldn’t Taylor be the bass on WOAF? And has Keith ever discussed anywhere his guitar playing on WOAF? It does seem strangeTaylor played on every known song from the Goats Head Soup. Sessions, ( whereas Bill and Keith do not), but Taylor is not on WOAF.And didn’t Taylor say in 1981 he played on WOAF?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 25, 2021 02:56

Taylor1
You know more about guitars than me, but could the guitar in the left speaker that plays the riff from the Dobie Gray original be Taylor? And why couldn’t Taylor be the bass on WOAF? And has Keith ever discussed anywhere his guitar playing on WOAF? It does seem strangeTaylor played on every known song from the Goats Head Soup. Sessions, ( whereas Bill and Keith do not), but Taylor is not on WOAF.And didn’t Taylor say in 1981 he played on WOAF?

(There were) two songs on Tattoo You (I played on). One was called Tops and the other was called Waiting on a Friend.

- Mick Taylor, 1993

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 25, 2021 06:51

Mathijs
JordyLicks96
Taylor1
I find it hard to believe that Taylor is not playing on WOAF in some capacity. Bass? There is no song from the Goats Head Soup sessions he is not playing on

Interestingly on outtakes of WOAF, I can hear an acoustic guitar being played in the background but can not hear it on the official release unless it is buried in the mix. Perhaps that was Taylor?

Of all the dozen or so outtakes I know, and some are not yet released as far as I know, there is no Taylor to be found. Not on the original take from 1972, and not on any of the overdub session versions from 1981. There indeed is an acoustic guitar added and later removed, there's versions with different percussion than on the final version, there's a run through with Sonny Rollins, but Taylor simply is not heard anywhere.

Mathijs

He could be playing bass.

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: October 25, 2021 07:30

Part One:

Tattoo You "40th Anniversary" edition bonus CD is very interesting and entertaining:

Living in the Heart of Love - First surfaced around 1981 on the LP titled "Lonely at the Top" with the title "Living is a Harder World' and later "Living is a Harder Love'. The LP was a fantastic outtake compilation and one of the 'must haves' of this genre. It has been re-issued many times on LP's, Picture Disc and CD's.
Recorded: at Musicland, Munich, Germany, early 1974
Note: This sounds like the original lyric and vocal from the time period. There are guitar solos added at the break.

Fiji Jim - First surfaced on the fantastic 2LP's 'Accidents Will Happen' and 'The Paris Rehearsals' also around 1981-1982. I found these LP's at a small record store in San Jose called 'The Dedicated Record Collector' on my way home from work. It was an unbelievable rush to listen to the music on these records. The 'Fully Finished Outtakes' version adds piano.
Recorded: Late 1977 in Paris, France. It's a 'Some Girls' outtake!
Note: The vocals and lyrics are new, but not completely. Many of the themes are included in the rewrite by MJ. I deciphered the original lyrics a long time ago. It was very tough and required a lot of repeating over very small portions of the song to pick up a clue. Found here:
[www.rollingstonesnet.com]
There are also added guitar parts and a slide guitar (presumably from Ronnie) and harmonica break added. The original solo guitar parts are mixed down.

Troubles a' Commin' - First heard on "Fully Finished Outtakes". I've checked for earlier instrumental versions of this song under different titles and have not come across it. Please correct me if I missed it. The musical structure resembles 'Crazy Mama' IMHO.
Recorded: Compass Point Studios, Nassau, early 1979. An 'Emotional Rescue' outtake.
Note: There is guitar soloing added to the track.

Shame, Shame, Shame - A cover of the sensational bluesman Jimmy Reed. First surfaced on titles such as "Place Pigalle" VGP-362 and "Paris Results" DAC-103, disc 2.
Recorded: Paris France, early 1978. A 'Some Girls' outtake. Also played live at the "Double Door" Chicago, September 1997.
Note: The guitar intro was overdubbed to clean-up the opening lick. Sounds like the original raspy vocal with a major sound upgrade as in all the tracks released on the bonus disc.

Drift Away - First heard on "Lonely at the Top" LP from 1981.The original vocal made famous by Dobie Gray and perfectly covered by The Stones on this track.
Recorded: Musicland Studios, Munich, Germany early 1974. An 'It's Only Rock 'n' Roll' Outtake (released in October 1974).
Note: This sounds like the original period vocal with improved sound.

It's a Lie - First heard on "Paris Results" Vol. 2 on Outsider Bird Records released in the 90's and other titles such as "Paris Results" DAC-103, disc 2, 'Fully Finished Outtakes' and 'Silver Linings' DAC-208.
Recorded: Paris, France late 1979. Sugar Blue the harp player on Miss You is on this track. An "Emotional Rescue" outtake.
Note: Slide guitar added to the 'Fully Finished Outtakes' version. Slide track remains and vocal reworked with really just part of the chorus in-tact for the 'Lost & Found' bonus track.

Coming Soon: Part Two!

Chris M.

Posted by: wolundamo ()
Date: October 25, 2021 08:19

Sorry mathijs, but I love this fun version of start me up...like a beautiful summer evening...like it more than the straight rock version...more dancing!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 25, 2021 10:39

ChrisM42
Part One:

Tattoo You "40th Anniversary" edition bonus CD is very interesting and entertaining:

Living in the Heart of Love - First surfaced around 1981 on the LP titled "Lonely at the Top" with the title "Living is a Harder World' and later "Living is a Harder Love'. The LP was a fantastic outtake compilation and one of the 'must haves' of this genre. It has been re-issued many times on LP's, Picture Disc and CD's.
Note: This sounds like the original lyric and vocal from the time period. There are guitar solos added at the break.

Fiji Jim - First surfaced on the fantastic 2LP's 'Accidents Will Happen' and 'The Paris Rehearsals' also around 1981-1982. I found these LP's at a small record store in San Jose called 'The Dedicated Record Collector' on my way home from work. It was an unbelievable rush to listen to the music on these records. The 'Fully Finished Outtakes' version adds piano.
Note: The vocals and lyrics are new, but not completely. Many of the themes are included in the rewrite by MJ. I deciphered the original lyrics a long time ago. It was very tough and required a lot of repeating over very small portions of the song to pick up a clue. Found here:
There are also added guitar parts and a slide guitar (presumably from Ronnie) and harmonica break added. The original solo guitar parts are mixed down.

Troubles a' Commin' - First heard on "Fully Finished Outtakes". I've checked for earlier instrumental versions of this song under different titles and have not come across it. Please correct me if I missed it. The musical structure resembles 'Crazy Mama' IMHO.
Recorded: Compass Point Studios, Nassau, early 1979. An 'Emotional Rescue' outtake.

Shame, Shame, Shame - A cover of the sensational bluesman Jimmy Reed. First surfaced on titles such as "Place Pigalle" VGP-362 and "Paris Results" DAC-103, disc 2.
Recorded: Paris France, early 1978. A 'Some Girls' outtake. Also played live at the "Double Door" Chicago, September 1997.
Note: The guitar intro was overdubbed to clean-up the opening lick. Sounds like the original raspy vocal with a major sound upgrade as in all the tracks released on the bonus disc.

Drift Away - First heard on "Lonely at the Top" LP from 1981.The original vocal made famous by Dobie Gray and perfectly covered by The Stones on this track.
Recorded: Musicland Studios, Munich, Germany early 1974. An 'It's Only Rock 'n' Roll' Outtake (released in October 1974).

It's a Lie - First heard on "Paris Results" Vol. 2 on Outsider Bird Records released in the 90's and other titles such as "Paris Results" DAC-103, disc 2, 'Fully Finished Outtakes' and 'Silver Linings' DAC-208.
Recorded: Paris, France late 1979. Sugar Blue the harp player on Miss You is on this track. An "Emotional Rescue" outtake.
Note: Slide guitar added to the 'Fully Finished Outtakes' version. Slide track remains and vocal reworked with really just part of the chorus in-tact for the 'Lost & Found' bonus track.

Chris M.

A great write-up, reminds me of those on Voodoo Brew on the UC list in 1995 ;-)

One thing though, "Trouble's a Coming" is what was known as "Break Away" when it first appeared in 1995 on VGP-052 "The Pain Of Love". Oh and "Shame, Shame, Shame" also appeared first on OBR's "Paris Results v2" in 1993.

I didn't know "Lonely at the Top" LP appeared as early as 1981, I had it in 1983 here [iorr.org] but I can't remember where I found that date.

And yes "Fiji Jim" is a LOT easier to understand this time around, I was remember how hard it was to make any sense of the original lyrics when listening to it on Friday.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-25 10:44 by gotdablouse.

Date: October 25, 2021 10:56

Taylor1
but could the guitar in the left speaker that plays the riff from the Dobie Gray original be Taylor?

Classic Keith. Clean sound without vibrato.

Sounds like they did some of these soul covers for IORR while Taylor was hospitalised (like with Ain't Too Proud To Beg).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 25, 2021 11:10

ChrisM42
Part One:

Chris M.

Great review Chris. One remark about Shame Shame Shame: Jagger's vocals are definitively newly recorded. They added a nice short plate rockabilly style reverb to his voice which made it sounds older.

Mathijs

Date: October 25, 2021 11:16

Taylor1

could the guitar in the left speaker that plays the riff from the Dobie Gray original be Taylor?

My speakers are apparently reversed, so: the opening is an acoustic in the middle, and an electric in the right speaker. This is 100% Keith, and he plays his Les Paul Junior with a tad tremelo added to the sound. At 0.40min the second electric enters with a country bend, and this is again 100% Keith, now with a cleaner, Telecaster sound. I am fairly confident all the guitars you hear are endless overdubs by Keith alone. The acoustic from the intro really could be anyone, and the second acoustic is added recently.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 25, 2021 12:05

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-25 12:15 by dcba.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 25, 2021 12:11

Mathijs

Then the Wembley show...It just doesn't sound very nice in my opinion, it is just not very pleasant to listen to. They play like they are having a fight.

Mathijs

Fine description of this tour!
I remember reading a contemporary interview in which Keith hissed that pitiful Jagger was out of breath after only 3 numbers. I always had the impression he rushed the tempos in 82 just to piss Mick off.
(I really like that tour btw).

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 25, 2021 14:41

dcba
Mathijs

Then the Wembley show...It just doesn't sound very nice in my opinion, it is just not very pleasant to listen to. They play like they are having a fight.

Mathijs

I remember reading a contemporary interview in which Keith hissed that pitiful Jagger was out of breath after only 3 numbers. I always had the impression he rushed the tempos in 82 just to piss Mick off.

"They play like they are having a fight." As Herakleitos said: "Polemos panton men pater esti." (Unfortunately, IORR does not accept original Greek. Therefore the quote is in Latin transcription.)

Date: October 25, 2021 15:33

Gazza
Taylor1

(There were) two songs on Tattoo You (I played on). One was called Tops and the other was called Waiting on a Friend.

- Mick Taylor, 1993

[www.timeisonourside.com]

If he didn't play or was wiped on WAOF, then why did he make a story about it?
Taylor's GF answered that to me, some 5 years ago.

Date: October 25, 2021 15:35

RobertJohnson
dcba
Mathijs

Mathijs

"They play like they are having a fight." As Herakleitos said: "Polemos panton men pater esti." (Unfortunately, IORR does not accept original Greek. Therefore the quote is in Latin transcription.)

Krêtes aeì pseûstai.

Mathijs

Date: October 25, 2021 15:47

Taylor1

And why couldn’t Taylor be the bass on WOAF? And has Keith ever discussed anywhere his guitar playing on WOAF? It does seem strangeTaylor played on every known song from the Goats Head Soup. Sessions, ( whereas Bill and Keith do not), but Taylor is not on WOAF.And didn’t Taylor say in 1981 he played on WOAF?

The bass is clearly Bill Wyman.

We just don't know who was present at which session exactly, and there's more tracks where somebody claims he played but was overdubbed later on (like has happened with Wyman quite often). There are stories about Bill Wyman being robbed or worse in Jamaica, and that he and Taylor and their wives left earlier as they felt unsafe. On GHS there are more tracks that have a Taylor overdub from later on, from LA or London, like his Heartbreaker solos and the bass on Can't You Hear the Music. Either he didn't play on the original track, or it was erased. We just don't know.

All we know is that to date we do not have a version of WOAF with Mick Taylor on any instrument. It was either recorded without him, or his parts were erased.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 25, 2021 15:59

Mathijs
RobertJohnson
dcba
Mathijs

Mathijs

Krêtes aeì pseûstai.

Mathijs

Herákleitos ho Ephésios ouk aeì pseûstai.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 25, 2021 16:01

ChrisM42
Part One:

Chris M.

Awesome - more informative than info in the book that came with this release LOL

Date: October 25, 2021 16:21

Mathijs
Taylor1

And why couldn’t Taylor be the bass on WOAF? And has Keith ever discussed anywhere his guitar playing on WOAF? It does seem strangeTaylor played on every known song from the Goats Head Soup. Sessions, ( whereas Bill and Keith do not), but Taylor is not on WOAF.And didn’t Taylor say in 1981 he played on WOAF?

The bass is clearly Bill Wyman.

We just don't know who was present at which session exactly, and there's more tracks where somebody claims he played but was overdubbed later on (like has happened with Wyman quite often). There are stories about Bill Wyman being robbed or worse in Jamaica, and that he and Taylor and their wives left earlier as they felt unsafe. On GHS there are more tracks that have a Taylor overdub from later on, from LA or London, like his Heartbreaker solos and the bass on Can't You Hear the Music. Either he didn't play on the original track, or it was erased. We just don't know.

All we know is that to date we do not have a version of WOAF with Mick Taylor on any instrument. It was either recorded without him, or his parts were erased.

Well what we do know is Taylor said they worked on WOAF in LA, this is coming from a magazine (Uncut) article about the Goats reissue.

I don’t think the electric guitar sounds distinctive enough to be either Taylor or Richards. Same with the acoustic guitar that is buried in the original mix, sorry nobody but you has spoke about unreleased overdub acoustic guitars.

Facts:

Keith Richards never speaks of the song; it’s obviously a Jagger song

Mick Taylor said he played on it, and they worked on it in LA

There is an acoustic and an electric guitar on the Tattoo You version

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-25 16:28 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: October 25, 2021 16:41

ChrisM42
Part One:

Chris M.

Thank you very much for putting this together, and for sharing.

It's very helpful.

Date: October 25, 2021 16:52

TravelinMan

Facts:

There's no acoustic on the official release; if there's a second guitar it's an electric, something that is difficult to hear because of the incredible amount of reverb, bounced to the other channel.

To quote Keith Richards: "sometimes there are four or five (?) different guitars
on a track, and you wouldn't even notice it".

Date: October 25, 2021 16:57

This one of the reissues I like the most.

Bill Wyman is really unbelievable.

I know the "technical" (so to speak) connection is Watts-Richards.

I do not care. Bill's sound turns me on. And supports everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-25 16:58 by emotionalbarbecue.

Date: October 25, 2021 17:02

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

Facts:

There's no acoustic on the official release; if there's a second guitar it's an electric, something that is difficult to hear because of the incredible amount of reverb, bounced to the other channel.

To quote Keith Richards: "sometimes there are four or five (?) different guitars

According to Chris Kimsey there is an acoustic in there, but I still can't hear it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-25 17:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 25, 2021 17:23

What book is this Bård? The right column doesn't quote Chris Kimsey, ' ' as you can see. Apart from that I don't want to rehash the entire subject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-25 17:39 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: October 25, 2021 17:53

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

Facts:

There is an acoustic, and it’s buried. You can hear it come in at 0:27. It plays a different rhythm than the electric. It’s percussive and you can hear the higher strings.

Richards has also said there is an acoustic guitar on almost every song.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home