Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 61
Re: Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 24, 2021 01:36

frankotero
Is it possible to measure the DR level (brick walling) on the vinyl. They sound good to me.
Somebody from Steve Hoffman's Music Forum
______
I needle dropped the first track (Start Me Up) of the clear double LP.
DR 8 on the vinyl vs DR 4 on the CD, without any noise reduction.

Still sounds bad I'm afraid.
______
Just a bit better than 2009 CD remaster.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 24, 2021 05:43

My only lover came from Antiquity
Found her on a building site
She's got no head ... she's cut from marble so white ..
................. ................. It's A Lie - Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 24, 2021 05:59

Might have been a better idea to take all these extras, oddballs, and other assorted ditties, and make them a standalone release rather than trying to force fit them on to a well established album.
It's similar to adding chapters to an old favorite book, with some of the chapters being rewritten/updated 40+ years after the fact - it sort of tarnishes and corrupts the original cohesiveness as it has with past editions.
Not a complaint, just a thought, but in the end I guess it's better to have them vs. not to have them at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-24 06:02 by Hairball.

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: October 24, 2021 06:39

ironbelly
Evolution of Start Me Up for different mastering and editions in digital domain.

1983, Toshiba-EMI [CP35-3032] CD with 'black triangle' label. The very first CD of The Rolling Stones in the world ever. Apart of very obvious pop at the mark 0.03 the rest looks pretty much OK. Dynamic Range (DR) for the track is DR=12. Well, the tape used for A/D transfer was obviously not the 1st generation, A/D converters were really bad. However, (most probably) not too many manipulations in digital domain were done. Call it a flat transfer if you wish. Mumbo-jumbo in digital domain was not well developed at the time.

1986, CBS mastering for catalog re-issue. Tattoo You CD was mastered by Greg Calbi. Again, minimal intrusion in digital domain. Although, it is a tad louder comparing to the previous one. Really nicely sounding CD. This time DR=14

1994, Virgin remaster made by Bob Ludvig. He used new A/D converters, much better than those for previous cases and (allegedly) better tpes. But he also increased the volume, added compression and equalized the CD differently. Hate to tell to fans of this remaster, but many peaks were shaved due to clipping. That is not drastic 'shave' but tops of the loudest peaks are flat. DR=11

2009, Stephen 'Masher' Marcussen's remaster. Very controversial one. At the time it was considered as an example of brickwall mastering. Volume to the max, tons of compression added. DR=7. We did not know all in 2009 winking smiley.

2011, back to the egg. Japanese only SHM-CD edition prepared as a flat transfer from original master tapes. This one is pretty similar to old good 1983 EMI-Toshiba CD. But this time the tape was original, A/D converters were better. The CD sounds fabulous. But I have a feeling they applied some equalizing. DR=14

2021, Masher strikes again. This time it is no brickwall, it is a concrete plate.
DR=4. Ear-bleeding over-compressed loud mess.

Call me a moaner but there is extremely nicely done Japanese flat transfer. It was done for archival purposes and exist in DSD format. It was re-issued in Japan in 2020 on SHM-CD once again. It is handy. So why we got another barely listenable product in 2021?

Thank you for posting all this info Ironbelly - very interesting and excellent guidelines when looking at what to look out for when rummaging the used CD bins.

Thank you.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 24, 2021 06:59

Hairball
Might have been a better idea to take all these extras, oddballs, and other assorted ditties, and make them a standalone release rather than trying to force fit them on to a well established album.
It's similar to adding chapters to an old favorite book, with some of the chapters being rewritten/updated 40+ years after the fact - it sort of tarnishes and corrupts the original cohesiveness as it has with past editions.
Not a complaint, just a thought, but in the end I guess it's better to have them vs. not to have them at all.

Then WHAT would we get in pricy Deluxe packages???

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 24, 2021 08:27

Free iron on tattoo ............ ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 24, 2021 09:35

I took all the newly released songs from Exile, GHS, Some Girls and Tattoo You and made the following 2 CD-R compilation:

Disc 1
Scarlet
Plundered My Soul
All the Rage
I'm Not Signifying
Dancing in the Light
Living in the Heart of Love
Following the River
Criss Cross
Pass the Wine
So Divine
Drift Away
Come to the Ball
Fast Talking, Slow Walking
Title 5

Disc two
Tallahassee Lassie
Claudine
Fiji Jim
Do You Think I Really Care
Keep Up Blues
So Young
You Win Again
When You're Gone
Shame Shame Shame
Trouble's A-Comin'
It's a Lie
No Spare Parts
Don't Be a Stranger
I Love You Too Much
We Had It All
Petrol Blues

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-24 13:17 by ab.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 24, 2021 10:24

Thanks again ironbelly for the DR information. I thought the vinyl was better, although 8 isn't too bad 10 would have been nice. Oh well.

Posted by: pichenot ()
Date: October 24, 2021 11:18

Hairball

thumbs up

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 24, 2021 13:48

erad
Well after sampling some of the Wembley show via Spotify I am not so sure about springing for the Super Deluxe anymore. It sounds super thin, the drums in particular. Not much better than a standard 1981/82 SBD boot. Actually I had a boot of the Hampton show that I downloaded years ago which sounds 10x better than this release... Certainly not worth paying the extra $100+ for a book and an average sounding SBD recording.

Same for me. It is an astonishing thing that the show on Spotify and Amazon Music is in a horrible sound, but way better on Apple Music with HomePod and AirPods. It's an incredible pity that the sound quality is so poor, because the band plays brilliantly. The only thing that can be credited to the mix is that they have separated the guitars well. At least with headphones you can hear very well what Ronnie and Keith are doing (and that it is damn good).

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: October 24, 2021 15:49

I think it's hilarious that so many of us who spent years listening to crap bootlegs back in the day are now bitching about official releases that are in a different league. My go-to bootleg from the 82 tour was 'Never Stop' from Gothenburg. It sounds horrible now. Wembley is 100 x better.

I was at Wembley on 25/6/82 and the recording sounds just like the gig did. A little murk doesn't detract from the experience. I was just now listening to 'Let it Bleed' - pure joy - the greatest rock and roll band in the world at their very best. Brick walled, lossy or pristine,...I don't care ...Let's enjoy it!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 24, 2021 15:59

Lost and Found Rarities sounds more like Blue & Lonesome Part II than the lost chapter of TY, soundwise

The hard work, that is told in the book, to make a cohesive unit of songs coming from so many different sessions time and locations for the album in 1981 has not been made

that is, it has not been made taking the sound of TY as a reference

it sounds more like what a contemporary new stones WOULD sound (if such thing will ever be)

in a way it even makes sense

bottom line, as Hairball said, good to have them instead of not

ps: wembley, i confirm, is a pretty fine bootleg, good to have it. pricey though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-24 16:02 by maumau.

Date: October 24, 2021 16:01

frankotero
Thanks again ironbelly for the DR information. I thought the vinyl was better, although 8 isn't too bad 10 would have been nice. Oh well.
Latest from Hoffman's music forum. Somebody made a needle drop (vinyl rip). As expected, the DR numbers are higher than for digital version. Although (nor surprise) not even close to Virgin 1994 CD
[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: October 24, 2021 16:51

ironbelly
Evolution of Start Me Up for different mastering and editions in digital domain.

1983, Toshiba-EMI [CP35-3032] CD with 'black triangle' label. The very first CD of The Rolling Stones in the world ever. Apart of very obvious pop at the mark 0.03 the rest looks pretty much OK. Dynamic Range (DR) for the track is DR=12. Well, the tape used for A/D transfer was obviously not the 1st generation, A/D converters were really bad. However, (most probably) not too many manipulations in digital domain were done. Call it a flat transfer if you wish. Mumbo-jumbo in digital domain was not well developed at the time.

1986, CBS mastering for catalog re-issue. Tattoo You CD was mastered by Greg Calbi. Again, minimal intrusion in digital domain. Although, it is a tad louder comparing to the previous one. Really nicely sounding CD. This time DR=14

1994, Virgin remaster made by Bob Ludvig. He used new A/D converters, much better than those for previous cases and (allegedly) better tpes. But he also increased the volume, added compression and equalized the CD differently. Hate to tell to fans of this remaster, but many peaks were shaved due to clipping. That is not drastic 'shave' but tops of the loudest peaks are flat. DR=11

2009, Stephen 'Masher' Marcussen's remaster. Very controversial one. At the time it was considered as an example of brickwall mastering. Volume to the max, tons of compression added. DR=7. We did not know all in 2009 winking smiley.

2011, back to the egg. Japanese only SHM-CD edition prepared as a flat transfer from original master tapes. This one is pretty similar to old good 1983 EMI-Toshiba CD. But this time the tape was original, A/D converters were better. The CD sounds fabulous. But I have a feeling they applied some equalizing. DR=14

2021, Masher strikes again. This time it is no brickwall, it is a concrete plate.

Call me a moaner but there is extremely nicely done Japanese flat transfer. It was done for archival purposes and exist in DSD format. It was re-issued in Japan in 2020 on SHM-CD once again. It is handy. So why we got another barely listenable product in 2021?

Well, this is vety interesting! Thank you very much for your help to understand the different spund of releases.
So, it seems to be worth to try to get one of these not pushed releases.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 24, 2021 17:14

Hairball

As the original albums always remained intact on all Deluxe Editions by keeping the bonus tracks on separate discs (even the bonus live tracks on YaYas Deluxe), I can't see what actually "tarnishes and corrupts the original cohesiveness". It's not that they sprinkled bonus tracks inbetween the tracks of the original albums and played with the original running order!

Date: October 24, 2021 17:25

ironbelly

Do you know, if all cbs releases are the same?
I don't think so. Do you know wjich release is the one mixed by Greg Calbi? Thank You!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 24, 2021 17:31

retired_dog
Hairball

As the original albums always remained intact on all Deluxe Editions by keeping the bonus tracks on separate discs (even the bonus live tracks on YaYas Deluxe), I can't see what actually "tarnishes and corrupts the original cohesiveness". It's not that they sprinkled bonus tracks inbetween the tracks of the original albums and played with the original running order!

Exactly this.
The book analogy makes no sense.

Really looking forward to enjoying the bonus album on the double clear vinyl.
smileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 24, 2021 17:46

maumau
Lost and Found Rarities sounds more like Blue & Lonesome Part II than the lost chapter of TY, soundwise

The hard work, that is told in the book, to make a cohesive unit of songs coming from so many different sessions time and locations for the album in 1981 has not been made

that is, it has not been made taking the sound of TY as a reference

it sounds more like what a contemporary new stones WOULD sound (if such thing will ever be)

in a way it even makes sense

bottom line, as Hairball said, good to have them instead of not

ps: wembley, i confirm, is a pretty fine bootleg, good to have it. pricey though

Considering they still haven't finished the supposed "new" album, these might have worked to fill in the gaps. Instead, Mick and Ronnie spend/waste precious time doctoring them up decades after the fact only to be somewhat hidden on this deluxe reissue that not many people outside of thediehards will buy. Like Scarlet and all other bonus tracks from other Deluxe ediitions, these will be mostly forgotten sooner than later except for the few diehards that embrace them, when instead they might have lived a much longer life if given a better chance of survival within the context of a "new" album. Then again, they might have died off and been forgotten by most just as quickly no matter what context they're released in...Rock and Roll is basically a thing of the past in the contemporary music world.

Date: October 24, 2021 17:49

micha063
ironbelly

I don't think so. Do you know wjich release is the one mixed by Greg Calbi? Thank You!

So, I tried to make some research...
It seems, that also the so called "nice price" rrleades are the good ones.
The wuedtion is: Is this also the case for the other "nice price" Stones releases?
It starts to be very interesting! I realy don't like the so called brickwalled remasters and releases at all.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 24, 2021 17:51

micha063

Do you know which release is the one mixed by Greg Calbi?

Mastered by Greg Calbi - CBS Europe 1989: [www.Discogs.com] .

All releases of Tattoo You - [www.Discogs.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-24 17:55 by Irix.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 24, 2021 17:56

Gazza
crholmstrom
I think there was plenty of good reason that the outtakes weren't released on the record.

They were never even worked on or considered for Tattoo You to begin with.

Except maybe "Living is a Harder Love" according to info that Martin Elliott got from Chris Kimsey but I've never seen it mentioned elsewhere or is there any booted "evidence" of it.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 24, 2021 18:01

ab
I took all the newly released songs from Exile, GHS, Some Girls and Tattoo You and made the following 2 CD-R compilation:

Disc 1
Scarlet
Plundered My Soul
All the Rage
I'm Not Signifying
Dancing in the Light
Living in the Heart of Love
Following the River
Criss Cross
Pass the Wine
So Divine
Drift Away
Come to the Ball
Fast Talking, Slow Walking
Title 5

Disc two
Tallahassee Lassie
Claudine
Fiji Jim
Do You Think I Really Care
Keep Up Blues
So Young
You Win Again
When You're Gone
Shame Shame Shame
Trouble's A-Comin'
It's a Lie
No Spare Parts
Don't Be a Stranger
I Love You Too Much
We Had It All
Petrol Blues

Excellent - it could be pared down to an even stronger 1 CD.

Date: October 24, 2021 18:06

Irix
micha063

Do you know which release is the one mixed by Greg Calbi?

Mastered by Greg Calbi - CBS Europe 1989: [www.Discogs.com] .

All releases of Tattoo You - [www.Discogs.com] .

Thank You!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 24, 2021 18:14

JordyLicks96
Taylor1
I find it hard to believe that Taylor is not playing on WOAF in some capacity. Bass? There is no song from the Goats Head Soup sessions he is not playing on

Interestingly on outtakes of WOAF, I can hear an acoustic guitar being played in the background but can not hear it on the official release unless it is buried in the mix. Perhaps that was Taylor?

Of all the dozen or so outtakes I know, and some are not yet released as far as I know, there is no Taylor to be found. Not on the original take from 1972, and not on any of the overdub session versions from 1981. There indeed is an acoustic guitar added and later removed, there's versions with different percussion than on the final version, there's a run through with Sonny Rollins, but Taylor simply is not heard anywhere.

Mathijs

Date: October 24, 2021 18:16

jahisnotdead
Do people really think the vocals on Drift Away are new? I personally don't hear any difference.

As far as I hear the vocals are original, except from some backing vocals at the hand. There's added percussion, handclaps and an acoustic guitar during the chorus, the rest is original.

I think all guitars are Keith, I don't hear Taylor. Also people credit Nicky Hopkins on piano, but that sounds like Preston to me.

Mathijs

Date: October 24, 2021 18:27

I am still not very positive about the new release....I really dislike Fiji Jim and especially the horrendous fake reggae version of Start Me Up. What the F was Jagger thinking to take an early outtake and overdub it to death? Fast Talking always was very much cliché, and Jagger's new singing makes it even more cliché.

But, I really like Troubles AC, SSS, DA and It's a Lie. Great tunes that Jagger did a great job on. And I actually really like Come to the Ball -this is the kind of music that nobody makes anymore, I like Jagger's off-the-cuff singing here, and listen to Wyman pushing the beat. Great!

Then the Wembley show...It just doesn't sound very nice in my opinion, it is just not very pleasant to listen to. The sound is not much better than a good bootleg, very midrange heavy and very cluttered. And the band sounds like they simply have no fun at all. They play like they are having a fight. Jagger sounds like he is not comfortable at all, and he is acting out a persona, with a fake English accent (to my ears at least).

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-24 19:29 by Mathijs.

Date: October 24, 2021 18:47

micha063

All CBS releases around the world are the same. No matter year of issue (1986-1993), catalog number, CD label style etc. Nice price/Mid price Austrian and Japanese editions are the same too. If you want all at once (including b-sides and rarities) - head for big pink box Collection 1971-1989
[www.discogs.com]
But this one can be rather pricey.

Digital mastering was done in 1986 on album per album basis by

Greg Calbi
1971 - Sticky Fingers
1972 - Exile On Main Street
1978 - Some Girls
1981 - Tattoo You

Vlado Meller
1973 - Goats Head Soup
1976 - Black And Blue
1977 - Love You Live
1980 - Emotional Rescue
1981 - Sucking in the Seventies
1982 - Still Life

George Marino
1984 - Rewind

Ted Jensen
1974 - It's Only Rock And Roll
1975 - Made In The Shade
1983 - Undercover

Bob Ludwig
1986 - Dirty Work

All CBS discs are good with exception of Sticky Fingers, Exile and IORR. These are subjects to some criticism in terms of sound quality.

Some prefer Virgin editions mastered by Bob Ludvig over CBS discs, the others visa versa. It depends on your ears and your system. But I do not want to go to that discussion here.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 24, 2021 18:52

I would like to make one final comment about audio quality. It's understandable the brick wall strategy is for smartphones and lo-fi ear buds. However, maybe it's possible to make the records closer to audiophile. And yes I would agree it's basically nice to have this concert and out-takes in the state they're in. But I can still wish.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: October 24, 2021 18:56

frankotero
I would like to make one final comment about audio quality. It's understandable the brick wall strategy is for smartphones and lo-fi ear buds. However, maybe it's possible to make the records closer to audiophile. And yes I would agree it's basically nice to have this concert and out-takes in the state they're in. But I can still wish.

They would only need to prepare separate mastering for vinyl, cd and streaming/mp3 files. That's all. Now CD shares the same mastering as streaming/mp3 and that's lame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-24 18:56 by Adams.

Date: October 24, 2021 19:11

ironbelly
micha063

All CBS releases around the world are the same. No matter year of issue (1986-1993), catalog number, CD label style etc. Nice price/Mid price Austrian and Japanese editions are the same too. If you want all at once (including b-sides and rarities) - head for big pink box Collection 1971-1989
[www.discogs.com]
But this one can be rather pricey.

Digital mastering was done in 1986 on album per album basis by

Greg Calbi
1971 - Sticky Fingers
1972 - Exile On Main Street
1978 - Some Girls
1981 - Tattoo You

Vlado Meller
1973 - Goats Head Soup
1976 - Black And Blue
1977 - Love You Live
1980 - Emotional Rescue
1981 - Sucking in the Seventies
1982 - Still Life

George Marino
1984 - Rewind

Ted Jensen
1974 - It's Only Rock And Roll
1975 - Made In The Shade
1983 - Undercover

Bob Ludwig
1986 - Dirty Work

All CBS discs are good with exception of Sticky Fingers, Exile and IORR. These are subjects to some criticism in terms of sound quality.

Some prefer Virgin editions mastered by Bob Ludvig over CBS discs, the others visa versa. It depends on your ears and your system. But I do not want to go to that discussion here.

Well, thank you very much for your helping Information!
I'd like go a bit deeper into it. Where csn I do so?
I'm using a quite good system, which I bought around 1999. It has no high or bass regulation, just loud up and down. It sounds warm and ballanced in every range. Even full if its turned low and still warm and ballanced without any boom or shrill sound when its turned up. Old school...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1532
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home