Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 61
Re: Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 23, 2021 16:03

ironbelly

2021, Masher strikes again. This time it is no brickwall, it is a concrete plate.
DR=4. Ear-bleeding over-compressed loud mess.
They question is - will he be able to top it in 2031 for the 50s anniversary edition? I bet yes.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: October 23, 2021 16:04

She´s so cold seems to be from the 1at day as the famous @#$%& up is not there.So is the recording from both dates or just she´s so cold from the 1st and rest of it from the 2nd day? or mix from both days completely?

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: October 23, 2021 16:24

marko
She´s so cold seems to be from the 1at day as the famous @#$%& up is not there.So is the recording from both dates or just she´s so cold from the 1st and rest of it from the 2nd day? or mix from both days completely?

I'd say they just edited the beginning.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 23, 2021 16:31

The fact that it is not easy to discern Jagger’s new vocals from the old original vocals is pretty amazing. Can you imagine if Paul McCartney decided to release outtakes from Band On The Run and added new vocals? It would be quite obvious! I think Jagger sounds pretty damn good on these tracks. The more I listen to them, the better they sound.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 23, 2021 16:38

I don't think Paul McCartney needs to do anything or try-hard with new vocals.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 23, 2021 16:53

Is the new Fiji Jim on Youtube or do I better leave that alone?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 23, 2021 16:54

Taylor1
TravelinMan
Taylor1
I find it hard to believe that Taylor is not playing on WOAF in some capacity. Bass? There is no song from the Goats Head Soup sessions he is not playing on

What’s hard to believe are the credits. Billy Preston on WOAF?

He could have played bass. Wyman wasn’t present for a lot of those basic sessions. Understandably.
Thecredits say Preston on Heaven.He stopped playing with them in 1976 over an argument with Mickand did not play with Stones until 1997. That is just one omission orinaccuracy . Wood didn’t play on Slave. Wyman is either miscredited or wrongly omitted on some songs.Taylor played on the bootleg Drift Away , I haven’t heard this one. And there is an organ on Drift Away but it’s not credited. These credits are like the ones for the Exile Deluxe. There is very little chance Taylor did not play on the original WOAF.He is on every song they recorded during the GHS sessions He was even quoted in 1981 as saying he played on it.Maybe he played bass or a solo which was removed and replaced with the saxophone. And I have never heard Keith ever talk about what guitars he played on this song

Can you link a version of Drift Away where you can hear Taylor?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 23, 2021 17:00

Nikkei

As always in life, make your own judgement. Don't listen to what other people say. If you like or dislike a certain piece of music is totally subjective.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 23, 2021 17:08

retired_dog
Nikkei

As always in life, make your own judgement. Don't listen to what other people say. If you like or dislike a certain piece of music is totally subjective.

Ostensibly true, but I sense here one of those instances where the whole deal gets spoilt and then there's no going back. Happened lots of times

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 23, 2021 17:09

Ross
The fact that it is not easy to discern Jagger’s new vocals from the old original vocals is pretty amazing. Can you imagine if Paul McCartney decided to release outtakes from Band On The Run and added new vocals? It would be quite obvious! I think Jagger sounds pretty damn good on these tracks. The more I listen to them, the better they sound.
I think this is the best that Jagger ever sung. Really. In the 70s and 80s he sung more raw and more like he didn't give a sh*t but now he sounds like a man who mastered his craft. I think he did. He reaches every note totally effortless nowadays.

Date: October 23, 2021 17:15

Eleanor Rigby
I don't think Paul McCartney needs to do anything or try-hard with new vocals.

That's because the working methods were different, at least in the time period in question here. I don't recall the Beatles or McCartney solo ever created a song in the studio from the scratch, unlike certain Stones stuff that started in the studio with just a good riff or a band jam, leaving the singer to initially add only improvised, tentative vocals, if at all - that's why there are so many instrumental Stones outtakes.

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: October 23, 2021 17:17

marko

Think it's the entire show of June 26...

Loving it!

Hendrik Mulder

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 23, 2021 17:28

Really enjoyed Chantilly Lace which I hadn't heard before, and Slow Walking, Fast Talking could've been a hit.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: October 23, 2021 18:14

I really appreciate the deluxe
The concert is very listenable
Outakes great and enjoy
A another version of tattoo
A plus

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 23, 2021 18:40

Wembley ‘82 from Tattoo You 2021:

Playlist: [www.YouTube.com] , [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-23 19:50 by Irix.

Date: October 23, 2021 19:06

Rockman
Cant get past Shame Shame Shame .....

Same here... While the original SG outtake left me somewhat cold, sounding not more than an informal runthrough, the finished version is a masterpiece imo, belonging up there to the best blues covers the Stones have ever recorded. Jagger sounds like he is totally into it, pushing it hard with his harp even during the fade-out...

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 23, 2021 19:34

Do people really think the vocals on Drift Away are new? I personally don't hear any difference.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 23, 2021 19:50

Is it possible to measure the DR level (brick walling) on the vinyl. They sound good to me.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 23, 2021 20:03

frankotero
Is it possible to measure the DR level (brick walling) on the vinyl. They sound good to me.
Yes. But you'll need to make a digital transfer (vinyl rip) first.
Generally, audio for vinyl is not that compressed. There are physical limitations that do not allow high volumes and high compression for vinyl.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 23, 2021 20:12

The Wembley show doesn’t sound as good to me as Hampton or Leeds. I guess I’m biased for Bob Clearmountain.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 23, 2021 20:13

Thanks for the information ironbelly. Guess too bad I bought the CD deluxe instead of vinyl. However, I did get the double clear vinyl. Really like that one.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2021 21:04

frankotero
Thanks for the information ironbelly. Guess too bad I bought the CD deluxe instead of vinyl. However, I did get the double clear vinyl. Really like that one.

I'm the same, bought the cd deluxe and clear vinyl. I'll get those massive box sets once prices come down to earth...Black Friday/Christmas time frame I expect.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 23, 2021 21:15

TravelinMan
Taylor1
TravelinMan
Taylor1
I find it hard to believe that Taylor is not playing on WOAF in some capacity. Bass? There is no song from the Goats Head Soup sessions he is not playing on

What’s hard to believe are the credits. Billy Preston on WOAF?

He could have played bass. Wyman wasn’t present for a lot of those basic sessions. Understandably.
Thecredits say Preston on Heaven.He stopped playing with them in 1976 over an argument with Mickand did not play with Stones until 1997. That is just one omission orinaccuracy . Wood didn’t play on Slave. Wyman is either miscredited or wrongly omitted on some songs.Taylor played on the bootleg Drift Away , I haven’t heard this one. And there is an organ on Drift Away but it’s not credited. These credits are like the ones for the Exile Deluxe. There is very little chance Taylor did not play on the original WOAF.He is on every song they recorded during the GHS sessions He was even quoted in 1981 as saying he played on it.Maybe he played bass or a solo which was removed and replaced with the saxophone. And I have never heard Keith ever talk about what guitars he played on this song

Can you link a version of Drift Away where you can hear Taylor?
Well, when I remove the vocals I can hear multiple guitars.One sounds like Taylor.And Prestons organ is clearly heard but not listed on these credits

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-23 21:17 by Taylor1.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 23, 2021 21:39

Rockman
Shame Shame Shame ....
oh babeeeeeee its so good
Ya can hear the pistons pushin it .....

Derelict blues band indeed ....

smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 23, 2021 23:45

StonedRambler
ironbelly

2021, Masher strikes again. This time it is no brickwall, it is a concrete plate.
DR=4. Ear-bleeding over-compressed loud mess.
They question is - will he be able to top it in 2031 for the 50s anniversary edition? I bet yes.

DR1 here we come!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 23, 2021 23:53

Maindefender
RobertJohnson
I had the chance meanwhile to hear Wembley on a good sound system. The old Sam Wheat-disease: Mick upfront in a grotesque way. The guitars in the background. It is the same messed-up sound like on Miami. A great performance and a lousy sound. Is Bob Clearmountain too expansive for a deluxe-project? So they pay for an absolutely deaf man.

We haven't had an excellant SBD since Ya Ya's IMO. A lot of the '81 SBD's had the same issue. Picking on my deluxe tonight along with new Parquet Courts album...
Live albums are something different than these live versions, while live albums usually get a review of the various tracks (drums, chirarra, vocals etc.), these lives only get a review of the whole sound, it feels better than a bootleg, but never as good as a live album.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: October 24, 2021 00:26

Well after sampling some of the Wembley show via Spotify I am not so sure about springing for the Super Deluxe anymore. It sounds super thin, the drums in particular. Not much better than a standard 1981/82 SBD boot. Actually I had a boot of the Hampton show that I downloaded years ago which sounds 10x better than this release... Certainly not worth paying the extra $100+ for a book and an average sounding SBD recording.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 24, 2021 00:36

erad
Well after sampling some of the Wembley show via Spotify I am not so sure about springing for the Super Deluxe anymore. It sounds super thin, the drums in particular. Not much better than a standard 1981/82 SBD boot. Actually I had a boot of the Hampton show that I downloaded years ago which sounds 10x better than this release... Certainly not worth paying the extra $100+ for a book and an average sounding SBD recording.

Exactly the same here. This was the first Deluxe edition that I did not buy on Release Day. I listened to it on Spotify and I really Like it. But 120€ is too extensive for a show in good bootleg quality. I will buy the 2 CD Version for my collection. What I really don't Like is that they cut Out so many Intros and Outros of the Live Shows. For me they are an essential part of a Show.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: October 24, 2021 00:43

I agree completely mate, well said.

That said it will drop in price, then I may consider it. Tempted to pick up the 2LP version in the meantime but I think playing the waiting game is best.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 24, 2021 00:54

The added bonus with the Wembley and Leeds gigs are Angie and Chantilly Lace. Otherwise I would wager Hampton is the ultimate gig from that tour (81/82).
If you're satisfied with that that's good enough. If you're a completist you're never satisfied anyway...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1501
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home