Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 61
Re: Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 23, 2021 03:30

crholmstrom
I think there was plenty of good reason that the outtakes weren't released on the record.

They were never even worked on or considered for Tattoo You to begin with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-23 03:30 by Gazza.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 23, 2021 03:31

Just gave a listen to most of the Wembley live in my car (bought on iTunes). It’s a good show, BUT yeah - the sound is ‘off’ IMO. It’s not ‘muddy’, but it’s just not ‘bright’ enough is the best way I can describe it. It’s almost like I wish there was a switch I could hit to give it a boost on the treble or something.
It might be the 1st time I’ve heard Chantilly Lace (I don’t think they did it in the US?) and it’s a fun highlight. Followed by Let Me Go where the Stones really start rocking.
Frustrating - it is a solid show, but as others have mentioned, I just wished it sounded more ‘alive.’
PS - I would LUV to see them do Fiji Jim live!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-23 05:20 by DEmerson.

Date: October 23, 2021 03:48

I agree with maindefender there is nothing else like YaYa's. The closest sound is Hampton at least the original bootleg I got in 1982.

Maindefender
RobertJohnson
I had the chance meanwhile to hear Wembley on a good sound system. The old Sam Wheat-disease: Mick upfront in a grotesque way. The guitars in the background. It is the same messed-up sound like on Miami. A great performance and a lousy sound. Is Bob Clearmountain too expansive for a deluxe-project? So they pay for an absolutely deaf man.

We haven't had an excellant SBD since Ya Ya's IMO. A lot of the '81 SBD's had the same issue. Picking on my deluxe tonight along with new Parquet Courts album...

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 23, 2021 04:40

Taylor1
I find it hard to believe that Taylor is not playing on WOAF in some capacity. Bass? There is no song from the Goats Head Soup sessions he is not playing on

What’s hard to believe are the credits. Billy Preston on WOAF?

He could have played bass. Wyman wasn’t present for a lot of those basic sessions. Understandably.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: October 23, 2021 05:18

Gazza
crholmstrom
I think there was plenty of good reason that the outtakes weren't released on the record.

They were never even worked on or considered for Tattoo You to begin with.

I took a picture at Exhibitionism of a log book from October 1980 of songs compiled to be further worked on. It included as listed:

Mobile Master Reel #1

Biscuit Blues
Black Limousine #1
Everlasting Is My Love (Funky Version)
Everlasting Is My Love (Electric Version)
Black Limousine #2
Just Because I Told You
Hang Fire

Mobile Master Reel #2

Fiji Jim
Do You Think I Really Care
Start It Up
I Can't Help It
You Win Again
Do You Get Enough

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-23 05:24 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: October 23, 2021 05:21

Taylor1
I find it hard to believe that Taylor is not playing on WOAF in some capacity. Bass? There is no song from the Goats Head Soup sessions he is not playing on

Interestingly on outtakes of WOAF, I can hear an acoustic guitar being played in the background but can not hear it on the official release unless it is buried in the mix. Perhaps that was Taylor?

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 23, 2021 05:26

i’m trying so hard to be yo baby
i’m trying so hard to be yo love

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 23, 2021 05:44

Shame Shame Shame ....
oh babeeeeeee its so good
Ya can hear the pistons pushin it .....

Derelict blues band indeed ....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 23, 2021 06:12

ROCKMAN

Date: October 23, 2021 06:44

There's a couple of vocal style from
Following The River seepin into Fast Talking

ROCKMAN

Date: October 23, 2021 07:25

Cant get past Shame Shame Shame .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 23, 2021 07:35

For the first time in a long time with this band, TY Deluxe Disc 2 feels like a whole new Stones record release. Sure, all the stuff from Exile, Some Girls, and GHS was nice, but Exile's trax were too Jagger 2009-2010, and the SG trax were either IT or not. GHS trax were wonderful, but outside of Criss Cross Mind, no new Stones' trax.

Tattoo You Disc 2 is a whole new deal! Sure, we've heard some of these before in less than lovely fidelity, but this is a new record to so many of us. Fiji Jim, Trouble's A Comin, Shame, Shame, Shame, and Drift Away are enough for ANY band to have wanted an LP side to have those 4. I mean, c'mon old fogies and fudder-dutters! This is great stuff and would have been a swell Stones' LP in its own right.

I am digging it, and I cannot wait to dig into what I hear is an amazing 1982 show on Disc 3.

Let It Rock!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: October 23, 2021 08:19

.... after a week of fixin a gate
Seein that Kanye change name ta Ye .... true

Next comes Tatt BO-nus and ya rockin like a 'lectric chair

Mick Jaggers first line from Shame puts ya up against the fence ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 23, 2021 10:35

georgemcdonnell314
I agree with maindefender there is nothing else like YaYa's. The closest sound is Hampton at least the original bootleg I got in 1982.

Maindefender
RobertJohnson
I had the chance meanwhile to hear Wembley on a good sound system. The old Sam Wheat-disease: Mick upfront in a grotesque way. The guitars in the background. It is the same messed-up sound like on Miami. A great performance and a lousy sound. Is Bob Clearmountain too expansive for a deluxe-project? So they pay for an absolutely deaf man.

We haven't had an excellant SBD since Ya Ya's IMO. A lot of the '81 SBD's had the same issue. Picking on my deluxe tonight along with new Parquet Courts album...

Yes, I remember the Swingin' Pig bootleg of Hampton. Except for the sequence at the beginning (no guitars, they become audible gradually) this version was essentially better than the official release.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: October 23, 2021 11:27

With this Tattoo You deluxe release I don't think there will be It's Only Rock n Roll deluxe/anniversary edition at all. Or are there any more outtakes/lost rarities during 1974 during IORR sessions? Because Drift Away is already here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-23 11:28 by DiamondDog7.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: October 23, 2021 12:08

RobertJohnson
georgemcdonnell314

Maindefender
RobertJohnson

Yes, I remember the Swingin' Pig bootleg of Hampton. Except for the sequence at the beginning (no guitars, they become audible gradually) this version was essentially better than the official release.

Hampton 1981 is actually remixed by Clearmountain. And it is perfect, even compared to the Swingin' Pig set.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 23, 2021 12:13

TravelinMan
Taylor1

What’s hard to believe are the credits. Billy Preston on WOAF?

He could have played bass. Wyman wasn’t present for a lot of those basic sessions. Understandably.
Thecredits say Preston on Heaven.He stopped playing with them in 1976 over an argument with Mickand did not play with Stones until 1997. That is just one omission orinaccuracy . Wood didn’t play on Slave. Wyman is either miscredited or wrongly omitted on some songs.Taylor played on the bootleg Drift Away , I haven’t heard this one. And there is an organ on Drift Away but it’s not credited. These credits are like the ones for the Exile Deluxe. There is very little chance Taylor did not play on the original WOAF.He is on every song they recorded during the GHS sessions He was even quoted in 1981 as saying he played on it.Maybe he played bass or a solo which was removed and replaced with the saxophone. And I have never heard Keith ever talk about what guitars he played on this song

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-23 12:15 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 23, 2021 12:50

I need some time as usual with the new stuff.
The official remix of the original album is very good to my ears.
For the lost and found rarities, I'm more mixed.
I like what they did with :

- Living in the Heart of Love
- Shame Shame Shame
- Drif Away
- It's a Lie

I don't like at all the new Fiji Jim,Fast Talking Slow Walking and the original early version of Start me Up.I will stick to my good ol' bootlegs.

- Come to the ball is good but a so-so track.

Trouble's a comin' at last look to me as the real new track .

The live show is ruined by the mix which is too loosy.

HMN

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 23, 2021 13:15

Remarkable is that the Wembley mix is catastrophic on Amazon Music and Spotify, but is essentially better on the HomePods and Apple Music. Has Apple Music maybe an algorithm that corrects lousy mixes?

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: October 23, 2021 14:27

DiamondDog7
With this Tattoo You deluxe release I don't think there will be It's Only Rock n Roll deluxe/anniversary edition at all. Or are there any more outtakes/lost rarities during 1974 during IORR sessions? Because Drift Away is already here.

I guess they already gave us the best IORR leftovers on this new TY bonus disc...

But I noted the total absence of any Black And Blue-outtakes, so I really hope for a deluxe treatment for this album. This would make sense, as it produced quite a few leftovers, has an interesting history/story to tell about it ("the great guitarist hunt") and you can easily add a complete 1976 live show (e.g. one of the Paris shows) to the super deluxe box.

N

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 23, 2021 14:31

Rockman

yesss

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 23, 2021 14:33

Wembley is a pretty fine bootleg, that's it

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 23, 2021 14:50

RobertJohnson

Remarkable is that the Wembley mix is catastrophic on Amazon Music and Spotify, but is essentially better on the HomePods and Apple Music. Has Apple Music maybe an algorithm that corrects lousy mixes?

Maybe too much data-compression on Amazon Music and Spotify? Try the preview-snippets on [www.HighResAudio.com] for comparison.

The difference in the sound-quality on Apple Music could also be due to Dolby Atmos - [Twitter.com] , [www.WhatHiFi.com] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-23 15:40 by Irix.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 23, 2021 15:07

maumau
Rockman

yesss

Hideously...yes...whole song takes a completely new dimension.
Jagger solo...
Don't get me started on Fiji Jim...

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: October 23, 2021 15:13

People, it's a live recording. Not perfect (and they never are) but a spectacular event that we get to listen to over and over again. A great document from nearly 40 years ago. Since when is that a bad thing? I listen to shitty crowd recordings and muddle through them to enjoy the show. This is something to be grateful to have.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 23, 2021 15:15

Yesss...

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 23, 2021 15:28

Evolution of Start Me Up for different mastering and editions in digital domain.

1983, Toshiba-EMI [CP35-3032] CD with 'black triangle' label. The very first CD of The Rolling Stones in the world ever. Apart of very obvious pop at the mark 0.03 the rest looks pretty much OK. Dynamic Range (DR) for the track is DR=12. Well, the tape used for A/D transfer was obviously not the 1st generation, A/D converters were really bad. However, (most probably) not too many manipulations in digital domain were done. Call it a flat transfer if you wish. Mumbo-jumbo in digital domain was not well developed at the time.

1986, CBS mastering for catalog re-issue. Tattoo You CD was mastered by Greg Calbi. Again, minimal intrusion in digital domain. Although, it is a tad louder comparing to the previous one. Really nicely sounding CD. This time DR=14

1994, Virgin remaster made by Bob Ludvig. He used new A/D converters, much better than those for previous cases and (allegedly) better tapes. But he also increased the volume, added compression and equalized the CD differently. Hate to tell to fans of this remaster, but many peaks were shaved due to clipping. That is not drastic 'shave' but tops of the loudest peaks are flat. DR=11

2009, Stephen 'Masher' Marcussen's remaster. Very controversial one. At the time it was considered as an example of brickwall mastering. Volume to the max, tons of compression added. DR=7. We did not know all in 2009 winking smiley.

2013, back to the egg. Japanese only SHM-CD edition prepared as a flat transfer from original master tapes. This one is pretty similar to old good 1983 EMI-Toshiba CD. But this time the tape was original, A/D converters were better. The CD sounds fabulous. DR=14

2021, Masher strikes again. This time it is no brickwall, it is a concrete plate.
DR=4. Ear-bleeding over-compressed loud mess.

Call me a moaner but there is extremely nicely done Japanese flat transfer. It was done for archival purposes and exist in DSD format. It was re-issued in Japan in 2020 on SHM-CD once again. It is handy. So why we got another barely listenable product in 2021?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-14 15:27 by ironbelly.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 23, 2021 15:36

Fast Talking is really good, but the sound quality and the other deluxe songs aren’t like the original Tattoo You album as mixed by Clearmountain.I also wish the piano wasn’t mixed so high and the guitars were higher.It wounds up sounding like an Elton John song

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-23 15:38 by Taylor1.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: October 23, 2021 15:37

I just got mine and I am loving it even more. I think this is the best of the deluxe re-issues. I like having Chantilly Lace but the live disc is not so great especially since we already have Leeds and Hampton.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 23, 2021 15:58

coffeepotman
I just got mine and I am loving it even more. I think this is the best of the deluxe re-issues. I like having Chantilly Lace but the live disc is not so great especially since we already have Leeds and Hampton.

Just got mine, but not chance to listen yet. I'll be doing that shortly...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home