Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 61
Re: Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 6, 2021 23:54

gotdablouse
retired_dog
Irix
DandelionPowderman

Hence the «by Chris Kimsey's wife...» winking smiley

Some say 'Let's Go Steady (Again)' was supposed for Emotional Rescue (not Tattoo You) - [dbboots.com] .

It's one of the handful of tracks Kimsey dug out for possible use as Voodoo Lounge single b-sides, but only So Young made the grade back in the early 90's.

Actually it's more likely they were dug up for inclusion as bonus tracks for the Virgin reissues but as that project was abandoned for some reason they used "So Young" (of all available songs !) as a B-Side in 1994...

Could very well be the case, but the "possible use for VL single b-sides" is an exact quote from Kimsey's interview, so... Remember that back then, CD singles often had 2 or 3 tracks added in different variations (2 tracks, 3 tracks, 4 tracks etc), not just one. However, the handful of tracks Kimsey mentioned were by far not enough to cover the entire Stones album rerelease campaign.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 7, 2021 01:36

erikjjf
Four Stone Walls
Are you wandering whether he plays sax?
I admit, that surprises me. I can't recall any other examples of his playing sax.

New Barbarians.

What, live?

Same year anyway.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 7, 2021 01:52

Four Stone Walls
DandelionPowderman
Valeswood
Irix
DandelionPowderman

I don't recall, but Let's Go Steady has been officially released now - by Chris Kimsey's wife: [open.spotify.com]

'Let's Go Steady Again' is no Track from Tattoo-You-Deluxe - [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] .

Nico's site reports this track as follows:-

Download-album 'As I Look Back' (Seek Music/Under Cover Music). With one previously unreleased track recorded by The Rolling Stones at Nassau, Bahamas, Compass Point Studios, between January 22 and February 12, 1979. Producers:
The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey.
- Let’s Go Steady Again (James W. Alexander)
Line-up: KR (voc, gtr, p)/RW (bass, sax)/CW (dr)/Kristi Kimsey (voc)
Note: A Rolling Stones recording, credited on this first official release of it to Kristi Kimsey with Keith Richards. Chris Kimsey is credited as producer on the album's back sleeve.

That's interessting! I'm not sure if he played any of those instruments on the final take, though. If so, he learned to mimick the others to an extent I never thought was possible smiling smiley

Not sure if this is Keith on piano, either. Doesn't sound like him, does it?

Powderman, it's not unusual for Ron to play bass.

I admit, that surprises me. I can't recall any other examples of his playing sax.

I think Ronnie plays sax on Had It With You.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 7, 2021 02:01

DGA35
Four Stone Walls
DandelionPowderman
Valeswood
Irix
DandelionPowderman

I don't recall, but Let's Go Steady has been officially released now - by Chris Kimsey's wife: [open.spotify.com]

'Let's Go Steady Again' is no Track from Tattoo-You-Deluxe - [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] .

Download-album 'As I Look Back' (Seek Music/Under Cover Music). With one previously unreleased track recorded by The Rolling Stones at Nassau, Bahamas, Compass Point Studios, between January 22 and February 12, 1979. Producers:
Note: A Rolling Stones recording, credited on this first official release of it to Kristi Kimsey with Keith Richards. Chris Kimsey is credited as producer on the album's back sleeve.

That's interessting! I'm not sure if he played any of those instruments on the final take, though. If so, he learned to mimick the others to an extent I never thought was possible smiling smiley

I think Ronnie plays sax on Had It With You.

Thanks. Now you mention it, so do I.

I heard a great early version of that on YouTube. Energy! A very creative period despite, or because of, the tensions. More so than '82 sessions imo.

Date: October 7, 2021 08:45

Four Stone Walls
DandelionPowderman
Valeswood
Irix
DandelionPowderman

No, but it's unusual for him to play like Bill smiling smiley

And I know he took sax lessons from Bobby, but I never heard him as good as this. I applaud Ronnie if he indeed laid down that sax track, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-07 10:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: October 7, 2021 11:45

I remember Ronnie playing sax on the Willie and the Poorboys video. A playback tho.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: October 7, 2021 11:55

Ronnie on sax: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 7, 2021 13:11

ironbelly

What are the chances Tattoo You, 40th anniversary will reach the top spot in the charts and will it survive after November 5?

I'd imagine there's an outside chance of Tattoo You reaching #1, but ABBA willreach the top-spot in the U.K., Australia, and across Europe; that's for certain.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: October 7, 2021 13:18

I pre ordered the Deluxe 4 cd 1 vinyl version. I just had to.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: October 18, 2021 00:08

smileys with beer

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 18, 2021 11:47

DandelionPowderman
Valeswood
Irix
DandelionPowderman

That's Bill Wyman on bass, and absolutely not Ron Wood. I hear two saxes, and one of them is Bobby Keys for sure. I have no problem accepting the second sax is Wood. I do not recognize the piano player, but doubt it is Keith.

Great live version by the way.

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

Date: October 18, 2021 13:26

Mathijs

I have no problem accepting the second sax is Wood.

Mathijs

cool smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 18, 2021 14:00

TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs

I have no problem accepting the second sax is Wood.

Mathijs

cool smiley

I think Ronnie has a reputation for being musically a very a very quick study

....and that kind of talent always remains amazing whenever you come across it.

I had a school mate who was exactly the same . Picked up the guitar at 14 and in about two weeks was playing to a pro level.

Did exactly the same thing with the tenor sax when he was about 19 and walked straight into a well regarded jazz band.

He was sadly taken from us in his in his early 20s.

He was also a kind and very funny guy...but the inconsiderate bugger could have left me has talent when he went ! winking smiley

Posted by: thunderball ()
Date: October 18, 2021 23:28

Big Al
ironbelly

What are the chances Tattoo You, 40th anniversary will reach the top spot in the charts and will it survive after November 5?

I'd imagine there's an outside chance of Tattoo You reaching #1, but ABBA willreach the top-spot in the U.K., Australia, and across Europe; that's for certain.

I know someone who works in the industry and is involved with Rolling Stones music releases, and they were telling me there is a big drive to get this to number one in the UK.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 18, 2021 23:47

thunderball
Big Al
ironbelly

I know someone who works in the industry and is involved with Rolling Stones music releases, and they were telling me there is a big drive to get this to number one in the UK.

The original album made #2 in 1981, so a time to correct that...

Not totally out of scope, since GHS topped the UK charts last year (and, of course, taking the nature of album sales these days).

- Doxa

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: October 19, 2021 00:27

Over on the Steve Hoffman forum, someone is quoting Nico Zentgraf as saying that Come to the Ball is Windmill/Wind Call. I can’t find anything directly by Nico though, so I’m not sure how true that is or if I’m just not looking in the right place.

Steve Hoffman Forum

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-19 00:33 by CamRS.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 19, 2021 00:51

CamRS
Over on the Steve Hoffman forum, someone is quoting Nico Zentgraf as saying that Come to the Ball is Windmill/Wind Call. I can’t find anything directly by Nico though, so I’m not sure how true that is or if I’m just not looking in the right place.

Steve Hoffman Forum
It was a few days ago on FB in The Rolling Stones Complete Works Database group.
[www.facebook.com]
Information, as you see, came from Nico.
PS. That group is private, so you might not see the post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-19 00:52 by ironbelly.

Date: October 19, 2021 15:39

ironbelly
CamRS

Steve Hoffman Forum
It was a few days ago on FB in The Rolling Stones Complete Works Database group.
[www.facebook.com]

Thanks for clarifying ironbelly, that makes sense now why I couldn’t see it.

It will be interesting to hear how 2021 Mick meshes with the song. Windmill/Wind Call is a song that I always imagined a young Mick frenetically screaming his lyrics to, but 2021 Mick (understandably) doesn’t sing like that anymore.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 19, 2021 16:14

Hum, that's a bit of a disappointment, was hoping for something that hadn't surfaced. I never found "Wind Call" to be very remarkable, besides it should/could have been on the GHS box last year. Maybe it's the mysterious "Give us a break" that was mastered but never surfaced on that title.

Oh and is it me or is there a bit of "Windmill" in "Built that Way" from FFSO.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 19, 2021 16:18

thunderball
Big Al
ironbelly

Coldplay is on track to debut at #1 this week with over 100k sold, they have a massive hit helping so even with a typical 70-80% drop that puts them at 20k in the second week.

Elton John is at #1 on the UK singles chart this week and he is releasing a new album too, I expect him at #1-2 next week with over 30k sold.

Lana Del Rey is also releasing a new album on Friday, the last one debuted at #1 with 40k sold so the race for the #1 is Elton/Lana.

Then comes Tattoo You, if it sell the same that GHS last year (13k) that's no higher than #4 with that big competition.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 19, 2021 17:42

gotdablouse
Hum, that's a bit of a disappointment, was hoping for something that hadn't surfaced. I never found "Wind Call" to be very remarkable, besides it should/could have been on the GHS box last year. Maybe it's the mysterious "Give us a break" that was mastered but never surfaced on that title.

Oh and is it me or is there a bit of "Windmill" in "Built that Way" from FFSO.

Agree, pulled up Wind Call yesterday. It's frenetic and repetitive. I'd like to see Jagger pull a rabbit out of this jam. After all he's the G.O.A.T. of Rock n' Roll...drinking smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 19, 2021 17:51

CamRS
ironbelly
CamRS

Steve Hoffman Forum
[www.facebook.com]

It will be interesting to hear how 2021 Mick meshes with the song. Windmill/Wind Call is a song that I always imagined a young Mick frenetically screaming his lyrics to, but 2021 Mick (understandably) doesn’t sing like that anymore.

This is the problem of old outtakes with new vocals. Windmill/Wind Call needs a powerful voice:
[youtu.be]

This is a fookin great jam

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-19 17:56 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 19, 2021 18:30

Rolling Stones, ‘Tattoo You (40th Anniversary Edition)': Album Review

Michael Gallucci
October 19, 2021

Polydor/Interscope/UMe

Things were going so well for the Rolling Stones in 1981 that even an album of leftover tracks dating back to their occasionally underwhelming mid-'70s records was heralded as a big event. That album of outtakes, Tattoo You, even surpassed expectations, hitting No. 1, yielding their last chart-topping single and becoming arguably the last great record of their still-thriving career.

But it's not just the reworked Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll and Black and Blue cast-offs that made Tattoo You a keeper; it was also the Stones' renewed energy and creative rebirth following that so-so trio of albums (which really had no chance of stacking up to the exalted run started with 1968's Beggars Banquet and continued through 1972's career-peaking Exile on Main St.). Some Girls, the 1978 LP that got them out of the rut, went as far as to borrow inspiration and sounds from the music that was making the Rolling Stones obsolete as the decade neared its end, including punk and disco.

All of those mixed '70s emotions about the group – from "The Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band in the World" to lazy caricatures of themselves – were filtered into Tattoo You, which carried the Stones into the '80s with their crown still somewhat in place. A four-CD box set celebrating the album's 40th anniversary confirms fans weren't just riding a post-Some Girls high: Today, the record sounds just as committed and airtight, and maybe just a tad scraped together.

The original 11-track LP, remastered here, serves as the center point of the box. "Start Me Up" and "Waiting on a Friend" were the big singles and remain the highlights, but buried cuts like the slow-burning Black and Blue leftover "Worried About You" find new relevance in the Stones catalog. Rediscovery makes the disc essential, but it's the other three CDs, featuring studio rarities and a live show, that bring together the era for a more complete portrait.

Nine tracks earmarked during the sessions but eventually abandoned were recently completed by the band, freshened up with new vocals by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards' guitars. Only one of the songs – an early reggae-lite version of "Start Me Up" – found its way on the 1981 album, leaving covers of the Ch-Lites' "Trouble's A-Comin," Jimmy Reed's "Shame, Shame, Shame" and Dobie Gray's "Drift Away" on the cutting-room floor. Resurrected now, these songs would probably struggle for a place on Tattoo You, though the power-riffing "Living in the Heart of Love" most deserves a spot, recalling classic-era Rolling Stones in its directness. (Other originals "It's a Lie" and "Come to the Ball" also crackle with the bluesy stomp recovered during the Some Girls era.)

Sharing its name with a 1982 live album by the Stones, a complete concert from Wembley Stadium found on the third and fourth discs called "Still Life" comes off like a victory lap rather than an indispensable tour document. Stage-toughened – or stage-wearied, depending on your perspective – versions of "Under My Thumb," "You Can't Always Get What You Want," "Brown Sugar" and "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" often betray Tattoo You's hurried and slapdash approach. The Rolling Stones were working at such a pace that records and tours were stitched together with eyes on the clock.

That an album like Tattoo You came out of this period is no small feat. This 40th Anniversary Edition doesn't shed much new light on the project; the record's story had already been properly told. But it does give a more clear look at what could have been (more covers, maybe fewer Black and Blue scraps) and the LP's impact not even a year later – especially "Start Me Up," which instantly received a prime spot in the Stones' set lists. Four decades on, the album still matters.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-20 00:25 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 19, 2021 18:38

(Other originals "It's a Lie" and "Come to the Ball" also crackle with the bluesy stomp recovered during the Some Girls era.)

Pretty lame review, we'll do a much much better job.....

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: October 19, 2021 22:29

Maindefender
(Other originals "It's a Lie" and "Come to the Ball" also crackle with the bluesy stomp recovered during the Some Girls era.)

So is the article saying "Come to the Ball" is from the Some Girls era?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 19, 2021 22:36

Do the credits for the Tatoo You Deluxe list who plays bass.Sounds like Taylor.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 19, 2021 22:59

...very low in the UK Amazon chart since the announcement some months ago...

Date: October 19, 2021 23:03

JordyLicks96
Maindefender

So is the article saying "Come to the Ball" is from the Some Girls era?

I don’t know how reliable the author of this review is when it comes to factual details.

For example, they wrote that the nine new tracks were “freshened up with new vocals by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards' guitars.” We have no confirmation that Keith participated in the project and they completely left out Ronnie who we know did in fact lay down some new guitars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-19 23:08 by CamRS.

Date: October 19, 2021 23:07

KRiffhard
CamRS
ironbelly
CamRS

Steve Hoffman Forum
[www.facebook.com]

This is the problem of old outtakes with new vocals. Windmill/Wind Call needs a powerful voice:
[youtu.be]

This is a fookin great jam

I agree. I think modern Mick does great with Some Girls-era outtakes, but I don’t think he meshes well with Taylor-era outtakes.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 19, 2021 23:20

jp.M
...very low in the UK Amazon chart since the announcement some months ago...

The hype for this release is almost zero, last year's GHS re-issue had a lot of promotion, Scarlet was on Radio 2 list for over a month, videos, remixes, etc.
Even with all that hype, GHS debuted at #1 with 13k sold, can't see the new TY selling even half of that number.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home