Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 61
Re: Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 6, 2021 00:38

i can't listen does it sound better is it a different mix/version

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 6, 2021 02:49

I don't know if this has been said above but THIS is the album on which Scarlet should have rightly been released, not on GHS (on whose '72 sessions it never featured).

On GHS re- issue we could have had early Tops and Waiting on A Friend and certainly Through the Lonely Nights

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: October 6, 2021 09:30

ribbelchips
Wow, quite different from the "50 fully finished" version. But not better, unfortunately. I like the music, but Jaggers singing is...too smooth, of clean of whatever you wanna call it. Like he sat when he sung it instead of standing.. For the first time on these 'deluxe' versions, 'Trouble' feels out of place to me. It really doesn't sound as a late 70's song like the rest of Tattoo You.

Following the River, Scarlett, No Spare Parts.. They all sounded like real leftovers from that era. This really sounds like a modern Stones song. Which still is nice, but.. well.. weird on a 1981 re-issue.
Following the River?? I can’t agree that it sounds like a real left over from Exile. I am full of respect for Mick right now, but this was a horribly overwrought track. Can you seriously imagine FTR alongside Happy and Let it Loose?

Re: Any chance of a Tattoo You deluxe version next year?!
Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: October 6, 2021 09:59

DandelionPowderman
jamesfdouglas
GasLightStreet
stone66
A re-release adding outtakes from an album that was itself just mostly outtakes

It was entirely outtakes.

Apparently Neighbours was the only 'new' song on it.

Backing tracks are from 1979.

I thought Heaven was a new tune.

Re: Any chance of a Tattoo You deluxe version next year?!
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 6, 2021 10:04

shawnriffhard1
I thought Heaven was a new tune.

Recording date: June-October 1979, October-December 1980 & April-July 1981
[www.timeisonourside.com]

Date: October 6, 2021 10:39

ProfessorWolf
i can't listen does it sound better is it a different mix/version

Sounds really great.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 6, 2021 11:01

bakersfield
ribbelchips
Wow, quite different from the "50 fully finished" version. But not better, unfortunately. I like the music, but Jaggers singing is...too smooth, of clean of whatever you wanna call it. Like he sat when he sung it instead of standing.. For the first time on these 'deluxe' versions, 'Trouble' feels out of place to me. It really doesn't sound as a late 70's song like the rest of Tattoo You.

Following the River, Scarlett, No Spare Parts.. They all sounded like real leftovers from that era. This really sounds like a modern Stones song. Which still is nice, but.. well.. weird on a 1981 re-issue.
Following the River?? I can’t agree that it sounds like a real left over from Exile. I am full of respect for Mick right now, but this was a horribly overwrought track. Can you seriously imagine FTR alongside Happy and Let it Loose?

if I recall correctly FTR was built on an instrumental piano track recorded by Nicky Hopkins in the south of France in 1971, so in this sense its inclusion in the reissue is completely legit

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: October 6, 2021 12:07

schillid

I always love your GIFs. Thanks

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 6, 2021 12:51

bakersfield
ribbelchips

I completely agree. I do not even believe it is Nicky Hopkins on piano, and it certainly isn't Charlie Watts on drums.

Mathijs

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 6, 2021 13:04

maumau

if I recall correctly FTR was built on an instrumental piano track recorded by Nicky Hopkins in the south of France in 1971, so in this sense its inclusion in the reissue is completely legit

Following The River always baffled me. I suspect you may be right, regarding the piano track, but the rest sounds like it could've all been recorded specifically for the Exile on Main Street Deluxe project. Aside from the absolute basic track, it was, to my untrained ears, an entirely new recording. It displays some of the essence of the Exile-era, but really, doesn't fit, for me, anyway.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 6, 2021 13:43

Where does that Nicky Hopkins backing track story come from for FTR ? The "Nicky Hopkins Tapes" leak on YT about 10 years ago did have an unknown instrumental but it was completely unrelated to FTR as far as I can tell.

Four Stone Walls
I don't know if this has been said above but THIS is the album on which Scarlet should have rightly been released, not on GHS (on whose '72 sessions it never featured).

On GHS re- issue we could have had early Tops and Waiting on A Friend and certainly Through the Lonely Nights

Exactly ! It just seems they needed a "story" to promote GHS so they went ahead with that and why not since no one apart from "us" was really bothered...and 'we" (well except for the "trading circles" that already had it) were happy to get it at last after decades of rumors. Had FFSO been released a year earlier it would have been different.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 6, 2021 14:11

The story is worth an entry in Nzentgraf site in the Nellcote sessions in 1971 (just checked), maybe after Jagger's interviews in 2010 at the time of the deluxe edition reissue.
I've found a trace of it in a suggestion on Songfacts that quotes a couple of them
I paste it here: Jagger said to The Sunday Times May 9, 2010 of the Nicky Hopkins original piano-led track: "I've always liked it, but I never quite knew what was going to happen to it."
In another interview, Jagger added: "It's a good feeling when it all comes together. There's a track called 'Following the River,' which is a ballad. It's a got beautiful piano on it, which I didn't play. And I'd heard this before but it didn't have any lyrics at all. I could hear different melodies but I didn't know how I was going to get the melody to fit with this already existing track, which is very heavily piano. And when it came together, I was just singing onto it, I was putting it on the stereo and I was singing along, trying out different melody lines and trying out different words. And when it actually came together, it's a very good moment, you know? There's a moment - there's a frustration, there's a build-up of this [makes discouraged face], and then try, try, try, try, and there's a moment when it really comes together for you."

I believe there must be a trace of the story archived here on iorr > here's the original track talk on it

on the deluxe edition credits for the song go like this:
MJ, vocals guitar tamborine
KR, guitars
Charlie Watts, drums
Bill Wyman, bass
Nicky Hopkins, Piano
Lisa Fischer and Cindy Mizelle, back vocals
David Campbell, strings arr

FTR must be one of the best early examples of Mick's passion in finishing outtakes into "new" song. Troubles a coming being the last one

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-06 14:26 by maumau.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 6, 2021 15:15

Hmm.. I listened "Following The River" first time for years. Works for me still. Love the video as well.

I also looked the Rene's Track talk maumau gave a link. Seemingly generally a pretty negative reception there, expect a few swimming against the main stream (including me).

Of its origin, I lean on Dandie's suggestion (there) that all there originally was was Nicky and Keith - Nellcote or not, but from that era (musically it more fits to 'melanchonic', 'hang-over -like' GHS sessions than to EXILE ones). All the rest was done more recently, including drums (2009?).

But back to topic (TATTOO YOU deluxe) - what was the third tune they are going to release before the album (I've forgotten that one)?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-06 15:18 by Doxa.

Date: October 6, 2021 15:18

Doxa
Hmm.. I listened "Following The River" first time for years. Works for me still. Love the video as well.

I also looked the Rene's Track talk maumau gave a link. Seemingly generally a pretty negative reception there, expect a few swimming against the main stream (including me).

Of its origin, I lean on Dandie's suggestion (there) that all there originally was was Nicky and Keith - Nellcote or not, but from that era (musically it more fits to 'melanchonic', 'hang-over -like' GHS sessions than to EXILE ones). All the rest was done recently, including drums (2009?).

But back to topic (TATTOO YOU deluxe) - what was the third tune they are going to release before the album (I've forgotten that one)?

- Doxa

I don't recall, but Let's Go Steady has been officially released now - by Chris Kimsey's wife: [open.spotify.com]

Date: October 6, 2021 15:27

The third track is "Come to the Ball", slated for release on 22/10, like the album. The only unknown track of the collection, although chances are we know it under another title or as a backing track.

Potential candidates :
- Dancing Girls : ball/dancing theme and a good "summary" of the many Munich Hilton/Brown Leaves/Golden Caddy variations on a theme.
- Come on Sugar : hopefully not as that would likely rule out a B&B Deluxe in the future.
- ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-06 16:46 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 6, 2021 15:30

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

I don't recall, but Let's Go Steady has been officially released now - by Chris Kimsey's wife: [open.spotify.com]

'Let's Go Steady Again' is no Track from the 2021 Tattoo-You-Deluxe release - [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-06 16:45 by Irix.

Date: October 6, 2021 15:44

gotdablouse
The third track is "Come to the Ball", slated for release on 22/10, like the album. The only unknown track of the collection, although chances we know it under another title or as a backing track.

Potential candidates :
- Dancing Girls : ball/dancing theme and a good "summary" of the many Munich Hilton/Brown Leaves/Golden Caddy variations on a theme.
- Come on Sugar : hopefully not as that would likely rule out a B&B Deluxe in the future.
- ?

Thanks! I recall there was something special to look forward to...

Just makes me think had we not got that Fully Finished bootleg how thrilled had been of "Trouble's A Comin" now... coming out of blue... (Not to complain though: great to have now 'both' versions.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-06 15:48 by Doxa.

Date: October 6, 2021 15:47

Irix
DandelionPowderman

'Let's Go Steady Again' is no Track from Tattoo-You-Deluxe - [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] .

It is not, but let us keep it as a 'bonus'...winking smiley

Kind of cool that Kimseys relaese a pretty ackward, low-profile album that contains a 'hidden' Rolling Stones track...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-06 15:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: October 6, 2021 15:50

Irix
DandelionPowderman

'Let's Go Steady Again' is no Track from Tattoo-You-Deluxe - [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] .

Nico's site reports this track as follows:-

Download-album 'As I Look Back' (Seek Music/Under Cover Music). With one previously unreleased track recorded by The Rolling Stones at Nassau, Bahamas, Compass Point Studios, between January 22 and February 12, 1979. Producers:
The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey.
- Let’s Go Steady Again (James W. Alexander)
Line-up: KR (voc, gtr, p)/RW (bass, sax)/CW (dr)/Kristi Kimsey (voc)
Note: A Rolling Stones recording, credited on this first official release of it to Kristi Kimsey with Keith Richards. Chris Kimsey is credited as producer on the album's back sleeve.

Date: October 6, 2021 16:00

Valeswood

Nico's site reports this track as follows:

It may be from the 1979 recording sessions - but it's not part of the official 2021 TY-Deluxe release.

1979 recordings: S0681. Let's Go Steady Again (2.47) (824), (a) Alternative Mix - Less Guitar (2.51) - [StonesSessions.com] - (Appendix Session List) , [Twitter.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-06 16:05 by Irix.

Date: October 6, 2021 16:26

Irix
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

Hence the «by Chris Kimsey's wife...» winking smiley

Date: October 6, 2021 16:28

Valeswood
Irix
DandelionPowderman

Download-album 'As I Look Back' (Seek Music/Under Cover Music). With one previously unreleased track recorded by The Rolling Stones at Nassau, Bahamas, Compass Point Studios, between January 22 and February 12, 1979. Producers:
Note: A Rolling Stones recording, credited on this first official release of it to Kristi Kimsey with Keith Richards. Chris Kimsey is credited as producer on the album's back sleeve.

That's interessting! I'm not sure if he played any of those instruments on the final take, though. If so, he learned to mimick the others to an extent I never thought was possible smiling smiley

Not sure if this is Keith on piano, either. Doesn't sound like him, does it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-06 16:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 6, 2021 16:40

DandelionPowderman

Some say 'Let's Go Steady (Again)' was supposed for Emotional Rescue (not Tattoo You) - [dbboots.com] .

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 6, 2021 17:09

maumau
bakersfield
ribbelchips

I have to think River was written on acoustic guitar and Nicky Hopkins added to it. Otherwise, did they steal his writing credit?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 6, 2021 17:22

Irix
DandelionPowderman

Some say 'Let's Go Steady (Again)' was supposed for Emotional Rescue (not Tattoo You) - [dbboots.com] .

It's one of the handful of tracks Kimsey dug out for possible use as Voodoo Lounge single b-sides, but only So Young made the grade back in the early 90's.

Date: October 6, 2021 17:41

Irix
DandelionPowderman

True. Like half of the tracks on TY smiling smiley

I don't think any songs were intended for TY, though, they wounded up there, thanks to Chris Kimsey.

Date: October 6, 2021 19:17

retired_dog
Irix
DandelionPowderman

It's one of the handful of tracks Kimsey dug out for possible use as Voodoo Lounge single b-sides, but only So Young made the grade back in the early 90's.

Actually it's more likely they were dug up for inclusion as bonus tracks for the Virgin reissues but as that project was abandoned for some reason they used "So Young" (of all available songs !) as a B-Side in 1994...

--------------

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 6, 2021 22:21

DandelionPowderman
Valeswood
Irix
DandelionPowderman

That's interessting! I'm not sure if he played any of those instruments on the final take, though. If so, he learned to mimick the others to an extent I never thought was possible smiling smiley

Not sure if this is Keith on piano, either. Doesn't sound like him, does it?

Powderman, it's not unusual for Ron to play bass.

Are you wandering whether he plays sax?
I admit, that surprises me. I can't recall any other examples of his playing sax.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 6, 2021 22:38

Four Stone Walls
Are you wandering whether he plays sax?
I admit, that surprises me. I can't recall any other examples of his playing sax.

New Barbarians.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 6, 2021 23:37

The Beatles - Let It Be, 50th anniversary edition will be released on October 15
The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You, 40th anniversary edition will be released on October 22
ABBA-Voyage will be released on November 5
What are the chances Tattoo You, 40th anniversary will reach the top spot in the charts and will it survive after November 5?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1363
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home