Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 61
Re: Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 19, 2021 18:12

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 18:26 by dcba.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 19, 2021 18:12

welshphil
The Wembley show is from the 26th. They didn't play Going to a go go or Twenty Flight Rock on the 25th...

they played those songs on every single show in 1982. Chantilly Lace was played at every show (apart from Glasgow) up to Frankfurt on 30th June, after which it was dropped and never played again.

The setlists from both Wembley shows are identical. Theres no way to know at this stage which show this release is from or if its a combination of both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 18:14 by Gazza.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 19, 2021 18:13

gotdablouse
Doxa
Hmm yeah.. sounds mostly based on 'original' 1974 vocals, probably some (recent?) touch here and there, but pretty hard to say more strictly now (or who knows, ever...). I salute the decision. Ronnie seemed to have added his "Start Me Up"-like attack solo (especially live versions), which might point out more TATTOO YOU-like vibes. Funny how Taylor suddenly pops up and continues from Woody has left us with a totally different guitar style and sound...

But funny is also that after having listened the song for ages from bootlegs, and having liked it a lot, some of the magic and supposed quality disapppears when released officially. Like it suddenly sounds bare bones and is qualified against the rest of their catalogue... I recall the same thing happened a year ago with "Criss Cross" and earlier with some EXILE and SOME GIRLS extras. Well, now the tune sounds a pretty Stones-by-numbers song as a Stones tune ever can sound... Not that there is anything wrong with that - by being constituted from such familiar and no doubt great elements and it's bloody hell their own unique sound - but a part of me now understand why it didn't make, say, IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL or some other album since then.

- Doxa

Was about to post something similar. I remember how excited I was when I first heard it on the "Lonely at the Top" boot CD (great cover too) I got from a shady character in 1990 ! Now, well, yeah a bit boring and I had to go back to "Save Me/Criss Cross" to really "hear" the differences...Oh well, at least we have "Come to the Ball" to look forward to...assuming it's not "Munich Hilton" with lyrics ;-)

Yeah, once the "magic of bootlegging" and the feeling of listening to something one should not listen to is gone leaves a lot of former contraband stuff naked in the cold daylight of reality!

Something I experienced with quite a lot of official releases from the archives, and not only from the Stones...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 18:15 by retired_dog.

Posted by: snarf2014 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 18:30

KRiffhard
snarf2014
Let's listen first and then judge. Tattoo You was all redone vocals so what's the point? I prefer to listen to a finished track.

Vocals on 1994 version are not powerful like the original version.

Do you like the new release? 1974 vocals with some new Jagger vocals and guitar by Ronnie. What do you think? If there are 2021 vocals on it it's done pretty good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 18:31 by snarf2014.

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: August 19, 2021 18:32

1974 version area loud and raw, much better

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 19, 2021 18:34

Having them officially released makes me go back and re-evaluate the boot versions from before. Somehow I always think they sound better than I remember them. Most of those bootlegs pretty much left me cold, but on evaluation in light of the official release, they seem to sound better than I thought they did.

Just looked over the track list of TY and realized I only ever liked one or two tracks from it. Probably pass on this deluxe unless the extras make up for it. Wembley in 1982 isn't gonna cut it for me. More stuff I will never listen to twice, and wasn't it out on boot back in the 80s or am I thinking of another record with Chantilly Lace on it?

jb

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 19, 2021 18:47

snarf2014
KRiffhard
snarf2014
Let's listen first and then judge. Tattoo You was all redone vocals so what's the point? I prefer to listen to a finished track.

Vocals on 1994 version are not powerful like the original version.

Do you like the new release? 1974 vocals with some new Jagger vocals and guitar by Ronnie. What do you think? If there are 2021 vocals on it it's done pretty good.

I really like it! thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 19, 2021 18:55

Jbwelda
Wembley in 1982 isn't gonna cut it for me.

What? Listen to this smoking version of She's So Cold from Wembley 82'
and tell me you haven't changed your mind. From 3:20:

She's So Cold

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 19, 2021 18:59

sorry for spoiling the party…
but: I somehow have the feeling that 'Living in the heart of love' is much to long – after half of the song they ran out of ideas and the second half leads nowhere.
reminds me of the Goat Head Soup extra songs

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 19:04

VoodooLounge13
ebalm
VoodooLounge13
VoodooLounge13
Irix
ebalm

FYI - I found the 5 lp on the Italian Amazon for 132 american dollars with shipping. Jump on it before they fix the price

[www.Amazon.it] , [www.Amazon.com] , [www.Amazon.co.uk]

thanks Irix!

Actually is it just me, but this seems to be the CD Super Deluxe, not the 5 LP one....

[www.amazon.it]

Thanks ebalm!!
Ordered the vinyl box. € 115 with shipping is a good price .... since I live in Italy winking smiley

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: August 19, 2021 19:08

It looks like Come to the Ball is the only song we don’t know anything about.

If I had to guess, I could see it being an updated version of Dancing Girls/Brown Leaves with brand new vocals. The whole “dancing” theme in parts of the lyrics could line up thematically to the title. It kind of like how the Stones took the “all the rage” line from the You Should Have Seen Her Ass book and expanded on that for All the Rage for the GHS re-release.

I don’t know, maybe it’s a reach?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 19:10 by CamRS.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 19, 2021 19:09

I can’t believe they mixed out the iconic siren guitar to start the song! When it comes in later there’s no context!

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 19, 2021 19:12

TravelinMan
I can’t believe they mixed out the iconic siren guitar to start the song! When it comes in later there’s no context!

Exactly. That was my first thought, that I miss that guitar in the beginning.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 19, 2021 19:33

Ok...sorry if this question has been asked but...says 2021 remaster. We just had the 1/2 master releases...would this be the same?

Posted by: Turner ()
Date: August 19, 2021 19:38

Stone601
VoodooLounge13
ebalm
VoodooLounge13
VoodooLounge13
Irix
ebalm

FYI - I found the 5 lp on the Italian Amazon for 132 american dollars with shipping. Jump on it before they fix the price

thanks Irix!

Actually is it just me, but this seems to be the CD Super Deluxe, not the 5 LP one....

[www.amazon.it]

Thanks ebalm!!
Ordered the vinyl box. € 115 with shipping is a good price .... since I live in Italy winking smiley

So $133 USD or $26 per platter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 19:40 by Turner.

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: August 19, 2021 19:40

Gazza
welshphil
The Wembley show is from the 26th. They didn't play Going to a go go or Twenty Flight Rock on the 25th...

they played those songs on every single show in 1982. Chantilly Lace was played at every show (apart from Glasgow) up to Frankfurt on 30th June, after which it was dropped and never played again.

The setlists from both Wembley shows are identical. Theres no way to know at this stage which show this release is from or if its a combination of both.

I checked on setlist.fm ,and they aren't identical . I have a cassette recording of the 26th and it's identical to what's on the new albums . Where did you check the setlist for the 25th.?
Though I agree it could be a combination of both shows ..

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 19, 2021 19:40

treaclefingers

Ok...sorry if this question has been asked but...says 2021 remaster. We just had the 1/2 master releases...would this be the same?

The 2018 HalfSpeed-Master were done by Miles Showell while the 2021 Remaster were done by Stephen Marcussen - [www.Amazon.com] .

"Tattoo You celebrates 40 years with the release of a brand new remastered edition of the chart topping, multiplatinum album. The 40th anniversary edition, remastered by Stephen Marcussen, includes such enduring favorites as 'Hang Fire', 'Waiting On A Friend' (showcasing jazz saxophone giant Sonny Rollins) and of course the opening track that's been a band signature ever since, 'Start Me Up'. Pressed on 180g black vinyl."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 19:50 by Irix.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 19, 2021 19:56

welshphil
Gazza
welshphil

I checked on setlist.fm ,and they aren't identical . I have a cassette recording of the 26th and it's identical to what's on the new albums . Where did you check the setlist for the 25th.?

well, what can I tell you other than setlist.fm is wrong. I have recordings of both shows. They're widely available.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 19, 2021 20:04

welshphil

Wembley Stadium, London, UK. June 25, 1982 ... [www.dbboots.com]

Wembley Stadium, London, UK. June 26, 1982 ... [www.dbboots.com]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 19, 2021 20:15

Just got "living in the heart of love" from iTunes, the sound is much better than the video on YouTube for those interested.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 20:26

rebelhipi
IrelandCalling4
Diff in price for TY 2-CD set and the 4-CD is quite something. 2 CD 16.99; 4 CD (incl pic disc and 124 page book) 130.99!

That is 113 Euro extra for 2 extra CDs, picture disk and the book!

Yes i agree. Im not a vinyl guy. I want to buy it but i cant justify paying 113euros for a copy of the wembley show.

I probably will so same as with Goats Head Soup and by the 2cd edition and download the Brussels show.

I'd forgotten GHS was the same price difference lol

I purchased the CD deluxe GHS as I really wanted both Brussels officially and the beautiful book. One of my absolute favourite eras of the band is the decadent look and sound of the GHS album and tour. To have those images from late '72 and the tour '73 made that book worth every cent. And it didnt disappoint. A beautiful tome.

GHS deluxe was so well done; the remix/remaster, the bonus tracks, book, Brussels.

Tattoo You I love, and the tour was great. Hampton, Seattle, Houston proshots '81, LSTNT, such a raucous energy on that tour. I dont have that same must-have feeling for the super deluxe that I did for GHS; however, time will tell smiling smiley The GHS deluxe book was a must, TY deluxe book a would-like, but perhaps not at current price.

2 CD SHM from Japan is what I'm going for at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 20:30 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 19, 2021 20:56

I doubt She's So Cold from the June 26th Wembley show will make this release....

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: August 19, 2021 20:58

Gazza
welshphil
Gazza
welshphil

well, what can I tell you other than setlist.fm is wrong. I have recordings of both shows. They're widely available.
I stand corrected, wonder which show it will be ??

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 20:59

Turner
Stone601
VoodooLounge13
ebalm
VoodooLounge13
VoodooLounge13
Irix
ebalm

thanks Irix!

[www.amazon.it]

Thanks ebalm!!

So $133 USD or $26 per platter

I hope for a Amazon ****up where they advertise with the "wrong" price. This happened with the GHS CD super deluxe box. I bought some for 20 euro's or so.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 19, 2021 21:05

The few seconds of Drift Away that shows up in the trailer sounds very different than the boot version. Interesting, the twangy guitar line underneath also gives a lot of expectation.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: August 19, 2021 21:12

IrelandCalling4
rebelhipi
IrelandCalling4
Diff in price for TY 2-CD set and the 4-CD is quite something. 2 CD 16.99; 4 CD (incl pic disc and 124 page book) 130.99!

That is 113 Euro extra for 2 extra CDs, picture disk and the book!

Yes i agree. Im not a vinyl guy. I want to buy it but i cant justify paying 113euros for a copy of the wembley show.

I probably will so same as with Goats Head Soup and by the 2cd edition and download the Brussels show.

I'd forgotten GHS was the same price difference lol

I purchased the CD deluxe GHS as I really wanted both Brussels officially and the beautiful book. One of my absolute favourite eras of the band is the decadent look and sound of the GHS album and tour. To have those images from late '72 and the tour '73 made that book worth every cent. And it didnt disappoint. A beautiful tome.

GHS deluxe was so well done; the remix/remaster, the bonus tracks, book, Brussels.

Tattoo You I love, and the tour was great. Hampton, Seattle, Houston proshots '81, LSTNT, such a raucous energy on that tour. I dont have that same must-have feeling for the super deluxe that I did for GHS; however, time will tell smiling smiley The GHS deluxe book was a must, TY deluxe book a would-like, but perhaps not at current price.

2 CD SHM from Japan is what I'm going for at the moment.
The book could be nice. But still 113euros is... Meh. Plus the 1982 tour is my least favorite tour besiden maybe some 60s gigs where the quality isint that great.
I still wanna hear the Wembley show tho.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 21:13 by rebelhipi.

Date: August 19, 2021 21:16

Irix
treaclefingers

The 2018 HalfSpeed-Master were done by Miles Showell while the 2021 Remaster were done by Stephen Marcussen - [www.Amazon.com] .

"Tattoo You celebrates 40 years with the release of a brand new remastered edition of the chart topping, multiplatinum album. The 40th anniversary edition, remastered by Stephen Marcussen, includes such enduring favorites as 'Hang Fire', 'Waiting On A Friend' (showcasing jazz saxophone giant Sonny Rollins) and of course the opening track that's been a band signature ever since, 'Start Me Up'. Pressed on 180g black vinyl."

Thank you! Interesting to see what the difference will be.

Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 21:39

Stone601

For all German (& European) collectors:
5LP Box & postage to Germany: Totale ordine: 117,09 €
Cheaper than ordering in Germany (134,95 €/jpc.de)

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 19, 2021 21:53

The only Super Deluxe that I've bought so far is Sticky Fingers, largely for the Leeds show. I think I'll spring for the Tattoo You Super Deluxe as well, largely for Wembley show and having an official show with "Chantilly Lace".

Exile didn't offer much in its Super Deluxe ("Stones in Exile" DVD which I already had and a snippet of *ocksucker Blues which I also have complete on Bootleg DVD) and Some Girls Super Deluxe seemed like a lot of gimmicks for its extras, and Goats Head Soup I already had the Ward Brussels CDs.

Date: August 19, 2021 21:56

werther2003
Stone601

For all German (& European) collectors:
5LP Box & postage to Germany: Totale ordine: 117,09 €
Cheaper than ordering in Germany (134,95 €/jpc.de)

Mine came to 128 and change Euros, all in. I couldn't justify the additional 90 euros for the live disks. I'll wait to see if I can get it at a bargain price later. Worked for me for all the other releases...I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 23:07 by treaclefingers.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home