Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 61
Re: Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 31, 2021 04:11

24FPS
Isn't this thread about Tattoo You? Yes, Undercover is a terrible album, Dirty Work, only slightly better. But this is about a GOOD album, Tattoo You. A collage from songs held back for years, but good ones for sure. Wonder if there's an alternate version of Heaven?

Yes it is about TATTOO YOU. But, as is the culture here, other LPs get talked about, within and without context, just as with any other album thread. UNDERCOVER is excellent... but not in the classic sense. DIRTY WORK is an embarrassment.

TY is a GREAT album.

Date: July 31, 2021 04:11

Stoneage
Imagine a Dirty Work deluxe reissue. Maybe 8 new tracks from the DW sessions. And a new cartoon. Wouldn't that be something? Or maybe not...

It was reissued - in 1987 as PRIMITIVE COOL, which, barely, has much better songs on it.

Date: July 31, 2021 04:12

Braincapers
bakersfield
I hate Let's Work (patronising message and hideous production) but I love Winning Ugly. Good tune, good lyric, great guitar work, what's not to like?

Let's Work? Isn't that on a Jagger solo album?

Hahahahahaha apparently not. It's on the 1987 reissue of DW.

Date: July 31, 2021 04:15

KRiffhard
bakersfield
Well, that was fun. Back to the topic. What will the nine Tattoo You bonus tracks be? I'm assuming that everything from 69-83 is fair game as previous deluxe versions have been full of anachronisms:

I'd like to have (all with finished lyrics and vocals please):

1. Eliza
2. Misty Roads
3. Fiji Gin
4. Hillside Blues
5. Dreams to Remember
6. Built that way
7. Fast Talking
8. The song known as 'Dogshit' (which I guess is more likely 'Bad Luck'?)
9. Come on Sugar

I Need You
She Never Listen To Me
Not The Way To Go
Cookin Up

If Rotten Roll, or whatever it's called, is included, along with Fiji Gin, or whatever it's called, and Misty Roads aka When She Held Me Tight, and Not The Way To Go... and a few others I can't remember the names of at the moment from the SG and ER sessions... yet alone anything going back to 1972...

STELLAR REISSUE.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 31, 2021 04:40

GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
bakersfield
Well, that was fun. Back to the topic. What will the nine Tattoo You bonus tracks be? I'm assuming that everything from 69-83 is fair game as previous deluxe versions have been full of anachronisms:

1. Eliza
2. Misty Roads
3. Fiji Gin
4. Hillside Blues
5. Dreams to Remember
6. Built that way
7. Fast Talking
9. Come on Sugar

I Need You
She Never Listen To Me
Not The Way To Go
Cookin Up

If Rotten Roll, or whatever it's called, is included, along with Fiji Gin, or whatever it's called, and Misty Roads aka When She Held Me Tight, and Not The Way To Go... and a few others I can't remember the names of at the moment from the SG and ER sessions... yet alone anything going back to 1972...

STELLAR REISSUE.

I don't know what it is, but this re-issue has me more enthusiastic than any of the other DELUXE packages so far. I guess I knew the ABKCO ones would be lame, and after EXILE (sure Plundered was great, but nothing much more to freak out about) I dumbed down my expectation. I liked the Deluxe Some Girls CD, that was unexpected.

I wasn't expecting much from Sticky, which was accurate. Same with GHS though that was a very pleasant surprise.

None of these releases though did I have high expectations from the get-go but I think Tattoo You will be fantastic, and the biggest seller reissue so far.

I may be setting myself up for a huge fall this Fall! eye popping smiley

Date: July 31, 2021 04:49

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
bakersfield

1. Eliza
2. Misty Roads
3. Fiji Gin
4. Hillside Blues
5. Dreams to Remember
6. Built that way
7. Fast Talking
9. Come on Sugar

I Need You
She Never Listen To Me
Not The Way To Go
Cookin Up

STELLAR REISSUE.

I don't know what it is, but this re-issue has me more enthusiastic than any of the other DELUXE packages so far. I guess I knew the ABKCO ones would be lame, and after EXILE (sure Plundered was great, but nothing much more to freak out about) I dumbed down my expectation. I liked the Deluxe Some Girls CD, that was unexpected.

I wasn't expecting much from Sticky, which was accurate. Same with GHS though that was a very pleasant surprise.

None of these releases though did I have high expectations from the get-go but I think Tattoo You will be fantastic, and the biggest seller reissue so far.

For me, the first 3 tracks of the bonus LP of the EOMS reissue are stellar. THe rest of it is garbage.

Only 3 from the SG reissue are good (the two country songs and Tallahassee).

The SF reissue is interesting to a point (Bitch and CYHMK mainly).

The GHS reissue is very interesting, especially considering the remix, and well done - but it's another 'why not more since there is more?' thing. GHS is the best, quality wise.

So I'm with ya. Hopefully this last deluxe reissue will be supreme. Because we know there ain't gonna be anymore after TATTOO YOU. They're closing in on 60 years, Mick has said the new LP will be the last (obviously if they finish it, if not, then it's BLUE AND LONESOME)... they'll be shutting it down after 2022 it seems like.

Rightfully so, if they do.

Date: July 31, 2021 05:18

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
bakersfield

1. Eliza
2. Misty Roads
3. Fiji Gin
4. Hillside Blues
5. Dreams to Remember
6. Built that way
7. Fast Talking
9. Come on Sugar

I Need You
She Never Listen To Me
Not The Way To Go
Cookin Up

STELLAR REISSUE.

For me, the first 3 tracks of the bonus LP of the EOMS reissue are stellar. THe rest of it is garbage.

Only 3 from the SG reissue are good (the two country songs and Tallahassee).

The SF reissue is interesting to a point (Bitch and CYHMK mainly).

The GHS reissue is very interesting, especially considering the remix, and well done - but it's another 'why not more since there is more?' thing. GHS is the best, quality wise.

So I'm with ya. Hopefully this last deluxe reissue will be supreme. Because we know there ain't gonna be anymore after TATTOO YOU. They're closing in on 60 years, Mick has said the new LP will be the last (obviously if they finish it, if not, then it's BLUE AND LONESOME)... they'll be shutting it down after 2022 it seems like.

Rightfully so, if they do.

Totally agree with you the final 'victory lap' starting at the 50th more or less ends at the 60th. Ending with a final DELUXE issue of Tattoo You makes sense as it's the final monster album with a monster hit...they can put out all the remaining goodies with that and if we're lucky get a new album at roughly the same time.

They probably won't ever officially call it quits unless something terrible happens but after the 60th I don't envision any more actual tours. Maybe a show here and there in major centre's.

Amazing they made it to this point at such a really high level.

Staggering really.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 31, 2021 07:46

GasLightStreet
24FPS
Isn't this thread about Tattoo You? Yes, Undercover is a terrible album, Dirty Work, only slightly better. But this is about a GOOD album, Tattoo You. A collage from songs held back for years, but good ones for sure. Wonder if there's an alternate version of Heaven?

Yes it is about TATTOO YOU. But, as is the culture here, other LPs get talked about, within and without context, just as with any other album thread. UNDERCOVER is excellent... but not in the classic sense. DIRTY WORK is an embarrassment.

TY is a GREAT album.

Undercover is worse than Satanic Majesties. Dirty Work has its moments. Tattoo You is a GOOD album. Not up there with the biggies, but pretty damn good.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 31, 2021 08:06

24FPS
GasLightStreet
24FPS

TY is a GREAT album.

Undercover is worse than Satanic Majesties. Dirty Work has its moments. Tattoo You is a GOOD album. Not up there with the biggies, but pretty damn good.

I find Satanic Majesty’s and Undercover to be an impossible comparison, personally: two completely different era’s; absolutely zilch that’s appropriate to compare. You can have a listening preference - I prefer Undercover -, but they’re so vastly different in too many respects: it’s like comparing Piper at the Gates of Dawn with The Wall. They’re different bands.

Date: July 31, 2021 09:49

24FPS
GasLightStreet
24FPS

TY is a GREAT album.

Undercover is worse than Satanic Majesties.

Hilariously hell no.

24FPS
Dirty Work has its moments. Tattoo You is a GOOD album. Not up there with the biggies, but pretty damn good.

Wrong. TATTOO YOU is a KILLER album. How and why you can not fathom that... you think DIRTY WORK is good, has "its moments". No it doesn't. That says enough.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: July 31, 2021 10:08

Dear Gas Light Street

I think I see why you chose to be "Gas light Street'; it's so you can gas light other contributors to this forum lol.

A while ago, having heard the term used on the media, I had to ask my grown up daughter what 'gas lighting' meant and apparently, in a nutshell, it is convincing other people that there is something wrong with them. Given your relentless presentation of opinions as facts there's a delicious irony in your IORR name.

I hope you will see the funny side smiling smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 31, 2021 10:11

GasLightStreet
Wrong. TATTOO YOU is a KILLER album. How and why you can not fathom that... you think DIRTY WORK is good, has "its moments". No it doesn't. That says enough.

I’m in complete agreement with you. It’s absolutely killer, indeed. Actually, I far prefer it to Some Girls.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 31, 2021 10:14

GasLightStreet
deardoctor
treaclefingers
deardoctor
I love DW.
It´s about the bad production, tons of reverb and awful synthesizers. Ged rid of that, add some outtakes and yoou get a masterpiece.
I don´t care about ABB and "Blue and Lonesome". I alway would choose DW!

If you take out the bad performances and poor songwriting as well, you'd have a near perfect album.

Perhaps you should revisit. I know there are different tastes - I thought about 10 years GHS as a weak album.

Dirty work a a album
One hit (Killer)
fight (not bad but I prefer an early version)
Harlem shuffle (nice)
Hold back (rather a filler)
Too rude (ok)
Winning ugly (Killer - but the London remix!)
Back to zero (nice parts but somehow ruined)
Dirty work (killer)
Had it with you (very good)
Sleep tonight (well - ok)

Overall far better than anything post 1997

A correction:

(WTF? "a a album"? WTFIT? "As An" I'm guessing):

One Hit (To The Body) - Asleep at the wheel Stones-by-numbers - aside from Ronnie comparing it to Street Fighting Man, which is @#$%^& weak, he said this:

(Jimmy Page) rang me at the studio one night and said, How's it going? Do you mind if I come and hear how the album's going? I said, no, I didn't mind. He's a very shy guy. After he'd done that overdub on One Hit, he left the studio saying, I'm sorry, man, I'm sorry. I said, Don't apologize... you did all right!

- Ron Wood, 1986

Weak. Rented blondes in the front weak.

Fight (energetic - but weak: WEAK)

That riff, yeah, and those tone drops on Fight which are typical of Jumpin' Jack or Street Fighting Man or Brown Sugar, those changes. That one came out of the blue. To tell the truth, I was pissed off at Mick one night, because we'd got nothing going in the studio and he'd left early. I just got so made with him I felt like, I want to get into a fight (laughs), and I just started it off like that. It was one of those things that came out of an immediate rage. Then Mick came back and sang it and did an INCREDIBLE job on it; it was when he started singing that I started to see the connection between it and Jumpin' Jack Flash and Street Fighting Man.

- Keith Richards, 1985

Such utter bullshit. Selling. First new record for a new record label. Spouting off bullshit. Keith took complete umbrage with this record because of Mick.

Garbage.

Although I do like the song. But I like other shit songs on other albums so whatever. Overall, regarding their cannon, complete garbage.

Harlem shuffle (Excellent)

Things like Harlem Shuffle... we did in two takes.

- Ron Wood, 1988

They should've stuck to that kind of thing for DIRTY WORK.

Hold Back (Dogshit in the doorway)

Ivan Neville, Aaron's son, is playing bass. That one was a track we'd put down almost at the end of the sessions but never really considered, you know: Oh well, put that one on hold for another album. But Charlie's drums were SO strong and the arrangement was developed so well that all we needed really was to re-do the bass, because the sound wasn't up to par on it - we'd only done it as a kind of dub in Paris. So when Ivan walked in one night, it was, Hey, Ivan, get out there.

- Keith Richards, 1985

More hype for another filler shit song from Keith.

Too Rude (Cool)

On Too Rude, I got to play the drums. That was when Charlie was going through a terrible time with Shirley. They were having lots of heavy arguments and so Charlie was often late, or Shirley would come into the studio and forcibly drag him out. On one of those nights Keith said, All right, you're on drums, Ronnie... The drum sound was very dynamic: I ended up sounding like Solomon Burke's drummer. I was very proud of it, actually.

- Ron Wood, 2003

Considering all that was recorded for this album, as we know, THIS was decided to be put on? I do like it but it's janked as shit overall. It's a weird good.

Winning ugly (Dogshit in the doorway 2)

Notice Keith doesn't actually say anything ABOUT the song:

The original track had two guitars, Woody and me, and then I think we put another couple on there that we used in and out. Then there's that lick: everybody keeps asking me to show them how to play it. I feel like I could make a living off teaching guitar players how to play that lick (laughs). But it's dead simple, just a slightly elongated version of Tumbling Dice - to me, at least. It's the same shapes, the same fingerings, just sort of drawn out a bit... That riff reminds me of an early Motown thing, a Marvin Gaye thing like Stubborn Kind of Fellow or You're a Wonderful One or Can I Get a Witness. It's a basic Motown riff, really; we've just jazzed it up with some technology.

- Keith Richards, 1985

Back To Zero (Interesting... but FAIL)

Nothing to provide here from [timeisonourside.com] because, well, duh.

Dirty work (Solid)

Nothing worth quoting.

Had It With You (nice)

Stones imitating Stones-by-numbers Stones. As Keith pointed out:

Yeah, the basic track was cut with Charlie on drums, me on guitar and Mick on vocal and harp. We tried it with the full band and we realized we were just sounding like the Rolling Stones doing the Rolling Stones' favorite sort of Ye Olde Famous Rolling Stones Sound. But then, when we took the bass and the piano and the extra guitars off, it just sat right on the button. It came off sounding like a live radio broadcast that way. And at a slightly later date Ronnie and I did one overdub at the same time. But, I mean, there's nothing in the RULE BOOK that says you've GOT to have a bass on there. And then there's that middle breakdown part that almost trips over itself (laughs). Cutting a good blues track is not easy: it's all been done a million times, and to add something new to it is not so much a matter of THOUGHT as FEEL.
- Keith Richards, 1985

Sleep Tonight (Lovely)

Amazingly, Keith did not, and has not ever, figured out that he ripped himself off: the song is the bridge from Coming Down Again.

I wrote that one at the piano when there was nobody else there except Woody and me - Woody plays drums on that one. So he was sitting at the kit, I was stitting at the piano, and I got this sequence together. I mean, it's one of those songs that I write occasionally where I say, Hey, I didn't write this, this is memory playing tricks with me, this is somebody else's song (laughs). It's happened to me before, with All About You, which I kept in the can for four or five years while I kept playing it for everybody I knew with a grounding in songwriting, because I kept thinking, This sequence does NOT come from me, this is NOT my shit... Sleep is like that for me because of all the weird modulations. The chorus is virtually a doo-wop chorus in C, but then the verses modulate quite naturally into another key. I had to wait for other people to convince me to go ahead with it; for a while I was saying, This is all good fun but we're wasting time, because I'm SURE this is somebody else's song (laughs).

- Keith Richards, 1985

It was HIS song.

Overall no better, by far as the furthest planet, than anything from 1994 onward.

[timeisonourside.com]

Good summary you got here though I think myself that One Hit and Winning Ugly are just okay songs (of course they are mediocre songs by Stones' own "unfair" standards) but I can listen to them without any "effort" and even enjoy them.

This record sounds like they got good ideas but obviously they weren't really concentrating on the whole thing at all seriously... Especially Mick I guess...
There sure was potential for a great album but it was never realized.

Half of the songs on the record are very poor but other half is okay. Very hard album to listen from the beginning to end...

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 31, 2021 12:56

GasLightStreet

The original track had two guitars, Woody and me, and then I think we put another couple on there that we used in and out. Then there's that lick: everybody keeps asking me to show them how to play it. I feel like I could make a living off teaching guitar players how to play that lick (laughs). But it's dead simple, just a slightly elongated version of Tumbling Dice - to me, at least. It's the same shapes, the same fingerings, just sort of drawn out a bit... That riff reminds me of an early Motown thing, a Marvin Gaye thing like Stubborn Kind of Fellow or You're a Wonderful One or Can I Get a Witness. It's a basic Motown riff, really; we've just jazzed it up with some technology.

- Keith Richards, 1985

The quote is from 1985, before the album was even out, yet he claims that everyone and their dog is asking him about the lick?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 31, 2021 13:43

Nikkei
GasLightStreet

- Keith Richards, 1985

The quote is from 1985, before the album was even out, yet he claims that everyone and their dog is asking him about the lick?

Didn't you know? Keith is just empty phrases and posing ever since 1969.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 31, 2021 13:48

I know what you mean, but then you could always say "why bother with him"

Date: July 31, 2021 17:52

Big Al
GasLightStreet

I’m in complete agreement with you. It’s absolutely killer, indeed. Actually, I far prefer it to Some Girls.

If they could have started Side Two with Start Me Up, they would have had half a killer album. Some Girls would have been an even better album if Claudette had replaced Lies. (They're very similar.) I love half of Tattoo You. Long Black Limousine was fantastic live. Dirty Work? Harlem Shuffle is their last great single. Bill kills it. One Hit has some nice crunchy guitars. Too Rude is good. Winning Ugly has great lyrics. There's a lot of bad production on Dirty Work, but Undercover simply blows, excepting UOTN.

Date: July 31, 2021 17:59

24FPS
Big Al
GasLightStreet

If they could have started Side Two with Start Me Up, they would have had half a killer album. Some Girls would have been an even better album if Claudette had replaced Lies. (They're very similar.) I love half of Tattoo You. Long Black Limousine was fantastic live. Dirty Work? Harlem Shuffle is their last great single. Bill kills it. One Hit has some nice crunchy guitars. Too Rude is good. Winning Ugly has great lyrics. There's a lot of bad production on Dirty Work, but Undercover simply blows, excepting UOTN.

I was trying to see your side of the argument, but when I got to the bolded statement your credibility took a swan dive.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: July 31, 2021 18:22

I'm sorry Treaclefingers but I agree with 24FPS, Winning Ugly is a great lyric, about the world economic order and how the deck is stacked in our favour. I think it's pretty clever to deal with heavy topics in a song without treading on the beat. You could say the same (and Jagger has) about Undercover of the Night.

By the way, 24FPS, if you don't mind me asking, what does your name mean?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 31, 2021 18:28

Nothing wrong with the lyrics on Winning Ugly, it actually has some substance. Not about babies like all Richard's lyrics.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 31, 2021 20:03

24 frame per second?

Date: July 31, 2021 23:10

bakersfield
I'm sorry Treaclefingers but I agree with 24FPS, Winning Ugly is a great lyric, about the world economic order and how the deck is stacked in our favour. I think it's pretty clever to deal with heavy topics in a song without treading on the beat. You could say the same (and Jagger has) about Undercover of the Night.

How are the lyrics 'clever' when he's beating us over the head with it? There's nothing in the slightest clever about the lyrics. "The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out of Me" is clever.

"I Wanna Be On Top, forever on the up and damn the competition" is obvious and mundane. A while back I compared it to "Let's Work" and it's really the lyrics I was thinking about. "Let's Work, be proud, stand tall...man and a woman, be free, let's work, kill poverty".

OK, I'll give you Let's Work is worse, but Winning Ugly is brutal.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 1, 2021 00:12

It's always great to read this forum ... and the more I read it, the more I realize how RS fans are multigenerational and with profoundly different musical sensibilities.
This is what I like most about the Stones!
When they did the first "dance" songs, there were those who were horrified, I personally liked them, as I like their reggae stuff. country, funky and obviously blues.
It's Only Rock 'n Roll But I like it !

Date: August 1, 2021 00:19

bakersfield
Dear Gas Light Street

I think I see why you chose to be "Gas light Street'; it's so you can gas light other contributors to this forum lol.

A while ago, having heard the term used on the media, I had to ask my grown up daughter what 'gas lighting' meant and apparently, in a nutshell, it is convincing other people that there is something wrong with them. Given your relentless presentation of opinions as facts there's a delicious irony in your IORR name.

That, and showing some love for Can't You Hear Me Knocking, perhaps (check out the lyrics)? winking smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 1, 2021 00:56

treaclefingers
bakersfield

How are the lyrics 'clever' when he's beating us over the head with it? There's nothing in the slightest clever about the lyrics. "The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out of Me" is clever.

"I Wanna Be On Top, forever on the up and damn the competition" is obvious and mundane. A while back I compared it to "Let's Work" and it's really the lyrics I was thinking about. "Let's Work, be proud, stand tall...man and a woman, be free, let's work, kill poverty".

OK, I'll give you Let's Work is worse, but Winning Ugly is brutal.

thumbs up

Date: August 1, 2021 05:00

bakersfield

As someone else guessed, 24 Frames Per Second. I used to work on films in Hollywood. 24 Frames Per Second is what we generally accept as 'life like'. That's how many film frames go through the film projector to produce that effect. Of course that may no longer apply as we've gone almost totally digital.

Date: August 1, 2021 06:14

bakersfield
Dear Gas Light Street

I get it. It is funny. Convenient but weak as @#$%.

It's not a name after the movie. It's not a name after the term you were given. Where I live, gas lights are real.

However, THIS is why I chose the name, since it appears you don't know why:

Can't you hear me knockin', ah, are you safe asleep?
Can't you hear me knockin', yeah, down the gas light street, now
Can't you hear me knockin', yeah, throw me down the keys
Alright now

Date: August 1, 2021 06:21

Nikkei
GasLightStreet

- Keith Richards, 1985

Well, for one thing, who knows. Perhaps someone had had a chance to listen to the album while it progressed and it was an advance interview about the upcoming album. Certainly possible. Etc. Who knows.

Then again, maybe the year is wrong. Maybe it is 1986 and they hit the wrong button and didn't notice. I haven't cross-referenced it.

Date: August 1, 2021 06:26

treaclefingers
24FPS
Big Al
GasLightStreet

I was trying to see your side of the argument, but when I got to the bolded statement your credibility took a swan dive.

I just got a nose bleed.

Date: August 1, 2021 06:35

GasLightStreet
Stoneage
Imagine a Dirty Work deluxe reissue. Maybe 8 new tracks from the DW sessions. And a new cartoon. Wouldn't that be something? Or maybe not...

It was reissued - in 1987 as PRIMITIVE COOL, which, barely, has much better songs on it.

Other than Let's Work, and the horrific 80s production, I didn't mind Primitive Cool all that much. Stupid album cover, in the spirit of Dirty Work.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home