Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 61
Re: Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 26, 2021 23:38

I liked the SMU video but the WOAF seemed way too stilted even with the dreads in attendance. I am surprised Peter Tosh agreed to appear in it actually.

jb

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 27, 2021 00:11

Mathijs
24FPS
shortfatfanny
24FPS

I think most consider Undercover, and its followup, Dirty Work, to be the lowest point in their studio albums. There's one good song on Undercover, and maybe three on Dirty Work.

Eeer....what ???
You think so...but "most" ?
I think Undercover is a masterpiece...compared with Dirty Work.

It's not. It's the worst of the two. It's a shame the glorious Undercover of the Night has to be affiliated with such throwaway music. Dirty Work is only slightly better. Tell me what albums between 1963 and 1989 are worse Stones albums than those two pieces of drek.

Undercover is in my top three Stones albums. I just love it. It's exciting, raw, aggressive. It has great Jagger vocals and lyrics, great songs and great playing. Of course it sounds like 1983 and you have to listen through that, but it's great in every sense. It really was the last time the Stones were still the greatest RnR band of the world and released meaningful music.

Mathijs
It is not my favorite but I listen to it often and gladly! Yes, there are great things I love in there.
The album that I listen to the most is Emotional Rescue which I find perfect. And when I listen to Down in the Hole I always get chills, Mick's song suffered, those crossed guitars and that harmonica ... a masterpiece!
I find it absurd that they didn't do any ER deluxe, we could possibly have had a long version of DITH and I'm sure all the material that will end up on TY deluxe will be from the ER sessions.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2021 01:35

24FPS
shortfatfanny
24FPS

I think most consider Undercover, and its followup, Dirty Work, to be the lowest point in their studio albums. There's one good song on Undercover, and maybe three on Dirty Work.

Eeer....what ???

It's not. It's the worst of the two. It's a shame the glorious Undercover of the Night has to be affiliated with such throwaway music. Dirty Work is only slightly better. Tell me what albums between 1963 and 1989 are worse Stones albums than those two pieces of drek.

UNDERCOVER is LET IT BLEED compared to DIRTY WORK. People should be given their money back for DW.

Their worst album, other than DW, is TSMR. STEEL WHEELS is pretty bad. Granted, there are good songs on those albums but as albums... they're awful.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 27, 2021 04:49

GasLightStreet
24FPS
shortfatfanny
24FPS

Eeer....what ???

UNDERCOVER is LET IT BLEED compared to DIRTY WORK. People should be given their money back for DW.

Their worst album, other than DW, is TSMR. STEEL WHEELS is pretty bad. Granted, there are good songs on those albums but as albums... they're awful.

I think there are very few albums that don't have something redeeming on them, as you pointed out with TSMR, a few great tracks.

So then you get to Dirty Work. I don't think there's enough good on there to justify the release. I mean, I don't care about Harlem Shuffle. Maybe One Hit, but not enough that I care whether the album was even released. Can't say that about any other Stones album.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 27, 2021 06:24

I think TSMR has aged very well, pretty much like everything on it nowadays.

I think Tattoo You is a pretty weak album, I love a couple tracks but the rest kind of dragged. Never played it all that much honestly. I am interested to see what a remix does for it; did miracles for Goats Head Soup.

jb

Date: July 27, 2021 07:50

jbwelda

I think Tattoo You is a pretty weak album, I love a couple tracks but the rest kind of dragged. Never played it all that much honestly. I am interested to see what a remix does for it; did miracles for Goats Head Soup.

jb

She's A Rainbow, 2000 LYFH, 2000 Man, The Lantern, Citadel, In Another Land are great, On With The Show not bad, but Sing This Song All Together, See What Happens, Gomper...come on!

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: July 27, 2021 08:12

I’m enjoying Gas Light Street’s consistently successful attempts to wind us all up with his provocations. But I fear Mathjis is serious about Undercover!? After Too Much Blood everything on side two is filler. Too Tough and All the Way Down in particular sound like deep fakes, Stones-by-numbers. I have quoted Keith Richards on the subject before. When told by an NME journalist that undercover was ‘dull and didn’t happen at all’ Keith replied ‘no it didn’t.’
Dirty Work was viewed as a return to form. Why it has become an article of faith in this board to slam it is beyond me.
Winning ugly easily beats too much blood
Back to zero maybe draws with pretty beat up admittedly
Dirty work trounces too tough
Had it with you smashes all the way down
Sleep tonight outclasses It Must Be Hell

Case closed IMHO

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 27, 2021 08:17

Stoneage
24fps
If it's like the 'Super Deluxe' GHS boxset, you'll get the videos associated with the album, SMU, Waiting on a Friend, Neighbors, Hang Fire. These are among the cheapest, crappiest videos ever made, excluding Waiting on a Friend, which was pretty good

Yes they were cheap and, perhaps, crappy. But I liked them. And I think they have stood the test of time better than many overproduced, expensive videos from the time.
And you have to remember that 1981 was before MTV started. A long time before those extravagant Peter Gabriel and Jacko videos.

Actually MTV started in August of '81, the same month Tattoo You was released, and the tour began next month. The videos were made for MTV. Plus there were other outlets showing videos that predated MTV. I think they look laughable today. Lip synced, barely. Mick's 'dancing' for Start Me Up is embarrassing. Comical maybe. They actually did better videos, slightly, for the Emotional Rescue album. (Again, except for Waiting On A Friend).

Date: July 27, 2021 11:52

jbwelda

jb

They would never remix it. We'll probably get the UMG remaster, though.

Date: July 27, 2021 15:59

bakersfield
I’m enjoying Gas Light Street’s consistently successful attempts to wind us all up with his provocations. But I fear Mathjis is serious about Undercover!? After Too Much Blood everything on side two is filler. Too Tough and All the Way Down in particular sound like deep fakes, Stones-by-numbers. I have quoted Keith Richards on the subject before. When told by an NME journalist that undercover was ‘dull and didn’t happen at all’ Keith replied ‘no it didn’t.’
Dirty Work was viewed as a return to form. Why it has become an article of faith in this board to slam it is beyond me.

Case closed IMHO

That's adorable.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 27, 2021 16:03

Winning Ugly beats Too Much Blood eye popping smiley
Back To Zero draws with pretty Beat Up eye popping smiley
ahem

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 27, 2021 18:37

I love DW.
It´s about the bad production, tons of reverb and awful synthesizers. Ged rid of that, add some outtakes and yoou get a masterpiece.
I don´t care about ABB and "Blue and Lonesome". I alway would choose DW!

Date: July 27, 2021 18:46

deardoctor
I love DW.
It´s about the bad production, tons of reverb and awful synthesizers. Ged rid of that, add some outtakes and yoou get a masterpiece.

If you take out the bad performances and poor songwriting as well, you'd have a near perfect album.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 27, 2021 18:48

deardoctor
I love DW.
Ged rid of that, add some outtakes and you get a masterpiece

Yeah but which ones?
Keith's rather boring reggae tunes he brought to Paris? The alt-band's quite good soulful tunes recorded in NY? Mick's radio-friendly and soooo 80's songs like the new "Nobody's Perfect"? They have nothing in common and nothing close to DW.

Imo you wouldn't get a masterpiece. A 3-cd DW reissue would only prove the band was totally lost in that year 1985 and really scrambled to release what could be called an album.

Date: July 27, 2021 19:54

dcba
deardoctor
I love DW.
Ged rid of that, add some outtakes and you get a masterpiece

Yeah but which ones?
Keith's rather boring reggae tunes he brought to Paris? The alt-band's quite good soulful tunes recorded in NY? Mick's radio-friendly and soooo 80's songs like the new "Nobody's Perfect"? They have nothing in common and nothing close to DW.

Imo you wouldn't get a masterpiece. A 3-cd DW reissue would only prove the band was totally lost in that year 1985 and really scrambled to release what could be called an album.

The first I´d choose are "deep love" (Mick-voice-version) and "stricly memphis"

Date: July 27, 2021 20:02

treaclefingers
deardoctor
I love DW.

If you take out the bad performances and poor songwriting as well, you'd have a near perfect album.

Perhaps you should revisit. I know there are different tastes - I thought about 10 years GHS as a weak album.

Dirty work a a album:
One hit (Killer)
fight (not bad but I prefer an early version)
Harlem shuffle (nice)
Hold back (rather a filler)
Too rude (ok)
Winning ugly (Killer - but the London remix!)
Back to zero (nice parts but somehow ruined)
Dirty work (killer)
Had it with you (very good)
Sleep tonight (well - ok)

Overall far better than anything post 1997

Date: July 27, 2021 20:03

So...........there won't be deluxe versions of Undercover, or Dirty Work? Thank god.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 27, 2021 22:07

Dirty work is a good sounding guitar record with bad lyrics and one awful song in Back To Zero - Is the reason Chuck Leavell got song credit because he convinced Jagger lets try and sound like the Talking Heads.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 27, 2021 23:52

maybe there won't be a deluxe version of undercover & dirty work but there needs to be a tattoo you style double album of polished and finished outtakes from those sessions ffso & the arthur collins tapes show there is more than enough good or great material waiting to be finished and released some of which is far better then what was actually on thos albums could call it trash from the eighties as a nod to sucking in the seventies

and another thing why is there no chance for a deluxe black & blue release i mean there is definitly stuff that hasn't circulated from the guitarist auditions and the rest of the sessions and of what has there is more than enough outtakes and alternate takes to fill a second disc
i mean is black & blue really that much worse an album then goats head soup or for that matter it's only rock n roll that it dosen't deserve the deluxe treatment

Date: July 28, 2021 00:12

Date: July 27, 2021 08:12

Case closed IMHO

yeah but ronnie redeems pretty beat up youtube

Date: July 28, 2021 00:13

Date: July 23, 2021 05:49

boogaloojef
jbwelda
24FPS
GasLightStreet
Stoneage
For me it all feels a bit too late. I mean a re-release 40 years after the original release. I guess this re-release business accelerated when they realized they didn't have to make new recordings anymore.
Had they realized that earlier we wouldn't have had 40 years between the releases.

It's extremely likely that the Stones never had any intentions of reissuing albums in this manner. They signed up with UMe and UMe said something.

So when these releases happen really has no relevance, as EOMS and SG provided, to anniversary dates, specifically. Afterall, TATTOO YOU, so far, won't be out on the anniversary, 8-24, but it will be within the digit year 40 years later.

I guess they've discovered no profit in doing Deluxe editions with the ABKCO albums.

I don't think they really want to cooperate with ABKCO, they have not seemed to give them anything new or allowed them to release anything rare. The ABKCO deluxe editions have been nicely packaged but thats about all.

jb

They worked with Abkco to release the Deluxe Edition of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, On Air: (The BBC Sessions) and the Charlie Is My Darling set.

They worked directly with ABKCO on those? Okay. I guess I was thinking of the better known studio albums from Aftermath onward.

also (and i'm sure someone can enligten me as to why winking smiley) it absoulutly mind blowingly bizzare and crazy that we haven't had something deluxe wise released for beggar's banquet or let it bleed
maybe abcko want to do a stand alone compilation of outtakes or something

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-28 00:20 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: July 28, 2021 00:43

ProfessorWolf

i mean is black & blue really that much worse an album then goats head soup or for that matter it's only rock n roll that it dosen't deserve the deluxe treatment

It's a better album than GHS. However, at the time, it seem unwieldy. Half the album was disco reggae, the other part was the Stones being 'classic rock'. And there was only 8 tracks! But in time I listen to it and it's got some fantastic tracks.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: July 28, 2021 01:59

Dirty Work needs to be reproduced. The 80s production is difficult to enjoy listening too and this goes for most mid to late 80s music

Date: July 28, 2021 02:16

Re: Tattoo You deluxe version new
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: July 28, 2021 01:59

Dirty Work needs to be reproduced. The 80s production is difficult to enjoy listening too and this goes for most mid to late 80s music

agree

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2021 03:45

bakersfield

Case closed IMHO

Ha ha.

You look at what they said after, especially with U and DW, they were influenced by record sales regarding the success of an LP. With DW they went overboard pre-and post-release: it was the first new album with a new record deal. They were swinging at ANYTHING that came along to hype it up.

They all knew it was garbage. They know to this day.

Nope.

All The Way Down is excellent Stones, basically classic Stones, 1983. Pretty Beat Up is better than anything on DW with its shitty production, shitty songs, it's simply a shitty album. The biggest and best thing about DW is Harlem Shuffle. That's it.

No case at all.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 28, 2021 03:52

I love Pretty Beat Up…even if my man Keith is only playing bass, what a fantastic groove. It’s Ron’s “Slave”. Too Tough is as good as anything on ER excepting So Cold which surpasses all of Undercover… opinions are like @#$%&!

Date: July 28, 2021 08:12

Well Gas Light Street, I disagree with every sentiment in your last post, every sentence, every word and probably the punctuation too lol.
But I’m happy to agree to disagree. Personal taste is personal taste -after all - there are people who can listen ‘Blinded by Rainbows’ without cringing, incredibly. I’m glad I’m not the only who enjoys DW though. I have burned a CD replacing ‘Hold Back’ and ‘Too Rude’ with ‘Deep love’ and ‘Putty in your hands’ and now I love it from end to end. If only Charlie had been on top form it would have swung a little more……

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 28, 2021 08:46

bakersfield
Well Gas Light Street, I disagree with every sentiment in your last post, every sentence, every word and probably the punctuation too lol.
But I’m happy to agree to disagree. Personal taste is personal taste -after all - there are people who can listen ‘Blinded by Rainbows’ without cringing, incredibly. I’m glad I’m not the only who enjoys DW though. I have burned a CD replacing ‘Hold Back’ and ‘Too Rude’ with ‘Deep love’ and ‘Putty in your hands’ and now I love it from end to end. If only Charlie had been on top form it would have swung a little more……

...and "Streets of Love" too!!!

Date: July 28, 2021 09:16

deardoctor
treaclefingers
deardoctor
I love DW.

Perhaps you should revisit. I know there are different tastes - I thought about 10 years GHS as a weak album.

Dirty work a a album:
One hit (Killer) - Killer? OK, I'm going to be nice and give you that.
fight (not bad but I prefer an early version) - Not good I prefer no version.
Harlem shuffle (nice) - OK, you said it. It's 'nice'.
Hold back (rather a filler) - you said it perfectly.
Too rude (ok) - ...hmmm. Not Ok. But this is the best you can do for your 'killer' album?
Winning ugly (Killer - but the London remix!) - OK, the London remix isn't on the album, get over yourself, and it is certainly NOT killer. I gave you a freebie already with One Hit. Don't push it!

This song is Ugly, but not in a Winning way.

Back to zero (nice parts but somehow ruined) - yeah, somehow it ruined even with the nice parts. I guess that's what happens when you write the worst song in the entire Stones catalogue, with Chuck. He must be so proud.

Dirty work (killer) - Again with the 'killer'. OK, you just have to stop with the hyperbole. It's getting embarrassing.

Had it with you (very good) - what, not killer?

Sleep tonight (well - ok) - sorry, did you say something, I slipped into a coma.

Overall far better than anything post 1997 -

OK, first of all your not setting the bar very high, because you only have A Bigger Bang post 1997, other than Blue and Lonesome, and surely you can't be referring to that.

As far as ABB vs. DW. I would absolutely take ABB, and challenge you to an off-album "killer song deathmatch", "One Hit London Remix" vs. "Under The Radar"...ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Take that!

DearDoctor...I've commented on your 'review' in red. Sorry I got a little nasty, but I couldn't control myself and you sort of had it coming, if you don't mind my saying.

Date: July 28, 2021 09:18

maumau
Winning Ugly beats Too Much Blood eye popping smiley
Back To Zero draws with pretty Beat Up eye popping smiley
ahem

Winning Ugly's like the precursor to Let's Work. The 80s were a very dark time in Stonesland.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home