Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 61
Re: Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 21, 2021 14:25

schillid
falo01
dcba
boogaloojef
If they release a live 1981 show I hope it is one when they played Tops, Down The Apiece or Mona instead of the standard set list.

You mean Philie'81 aka "the most appaling opening gigs by a major rock band"?

Jagger would rather put his youngest child for adoption rather than see these 2 concerts being given an official release! grinning smiley

at least it would be fun!! lol (the release, not the adoption)

My friend and I shook our heads in disbelief it was SO BAD!
I passed the time... I took out my sketchbook... did some drawing & doodling, writing
We laughed at the spectacle, partied

The Philadelphia soundboards are cool because there wasn't any saxophone on the tour yet. One of the days had a cool Black Limousine with Ron doing extra lead guitar duties.

Another thing about the Philadelphia soundboards is noticing how fast the songs were played. They seem to pick-up where the 1978 tour left off. A lot different than the more laid back performances from the end of the tour.

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" sounds more like Love You Live than Hampton.

"Tops" was great to have - warts and all!

--

It would be cool to have "Down the Road Apiece" live from New Jersey. The best live 1981 tracks are from the "Screwed and Tattooed" bootleg (mainly from New Jersey) and the radio broadcasts (many great tracks from Pontiac, December 1st show). New Orleans was a hot show but it was never bootlegged in very good sound.

Phoenix 81 (Tempe) would be an excellent show to have complete - audio and video. Great concert but horribly butchered to death in the Hal Ashby movie. It would be great to have the full and a very clear sounding version of the whole Phoenix show, especially Just My Imagination, Black Limousine and Neighbors. Under My Thumb is great from Phoenix, too!

The Stones usually just re-release what we already have when it comes to live shows. It's great to have it in better sound. As far as the Stones creating a whole new faux concert with the NJ shows, Phoenix, DC and New Orleans, it'll never happen (Screwed and Tattoo'd picked the best tracks).

A nice photo book from the tour would be great. Most of then are in the Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes thread [iorr.org] . I'd love to help to put that book together.

I'd love to have some great photos included in a deluxe box set. My favorite 1981 photo is from Philadelphia (seen below):

Philadelphia, September 26, 1981 - photo by Ken Regan

The Stones wouldn't even have to photoshop Bill out of the picture, just the guy in the background with the rolling Stones baseball cap.

Date: July 21, 2021 14:35

retired_dog
georgemcdonnell314
I think we will get early versions of Waiting on a Friend(it wasn't on the GHS reissue), Slave and Worried About You.

There are bootlegs out with the earlier versions and polishing them up should be easy.

My best guess is that those 9 bonus tracks will be a quasi "best of outtakes" from the same time frame as the album, 1972-1980. That would make sense. Stuff like Drift Away, Fiji Jim, Built That Way, I Need You, I Love Ladies, Misty Roads and others.

I see no sense in polishing up earlier (and mostly inferior) versions of songs that have already been polished up for inclusion on the original album. Why should they do that?

Oh, and here's hope for Separately as I deeply missed it on GHS Deluxe.

There may be a few good outtakes of songs that were previously polished for Tattoo You that could be used such as Black Limousine.

An edited Separately would be great! I edited down for myself and like it much better.

I think the Stones have been cherry picking some of the very best songs that didn't appear on official releases for a big box set. I think that's why a couple of tracks didn't make it on to the GHS deluxe.

This box I'm dreaming of would include tracks that didn't appear on Sweet Summer Sun like Bitch and a couple of others, Honky Tonk from Shine a Light, Start Me Up from Austin (Biggest Bang), the list goes on.

Date: July 21, 2021 14:55

VoodooLounge13
[

Am I the only one here is who isn't as enamored with IORR as many others? I became a Stones fan in 1989, at age 13, and I got SW on cassette along with The London Years for Christmas that year. In 1990, after Flashpoint, I found IORR very cheaply priced on cassette and decided to pick it up, but between the sound and lack of overall good songs, I thought it VERY different from what I knew of them already. Ever since, I've not listened to it much. It has one or two songs - Fingerprint File I've always enjoyed. But IORR and Undercover are the two least played studio albums for me........followed very closely by Emotional Rescue.

The official cassette tapes are very low quality. You'd think it would be great quality since it's an official release?

During the time when cassette players in cars were 'the thing' I would get LPs and record them on to high quality cassettes since the sound on the official releases sucked so badly!

It's Only Rock and Roll is one of my very favorite Stones albums. I didn't like it at first. If You Can't Rock Me and Dance Little Sister sound like a barrage of noise, now I LOVE THAT SOUND! Short and Curlies was always a great song for bachelor parties. Time Wait for No One...Mick Taylor among other great things about that song. Luxury with it's rock and roll reggae mix - very cool. The guitar solo in Dance Little Sister is my favorite! Some how If You Really Want to be My Friend takes the Stones to a whole other level in music and became a favorite with the best Jagger "ou Yeah!"

Jagger is great on every song!

Some albums take time to grow on you like a vintage wine. What you may not like now may become great to you later. Revisit IORR from time to time. Give it a chance as you mature. Lie you said, you haven't listened to it much.

Emotional Rescue is another one as is Dirty Work, revisit from time to time to get to appreciate them. That's part of the beauty of being a Stones fan, these albums don't wear out after the initial rush like many songs do (Hot Legs by Rod Stewart comes to mind). They're like a fine wine, you'll develop a taste for them, I believe.

Date: July 21, 2021 14:56

TheGreek
I am hoping for a super deluxe edition with lots of bonus stuff including a live show from 81 in multi formats including video ! That is what I wish for !

It would be great to have video from Pontiac '81!

Date: July 21, 2021 15:06

jbwelda
24FPS
GasLightStreet
Stoneage
For me it all feels a bit too late. I mean a re-release 40 years after the original release. I guess this re-release business accelerated when they realized they didn't have to make new recordings anymore.
Had they realized that earlier we wouldn't have had 40 years between the releases.

It's extremely likely that the Stones never had any intentions of reissuing albums in this manner. They signed up with UMe and UMe said something.

So when these releases happen really has no relevance, as EOMS and SG provided, to anniversary dates, specifically. Afterall, TATTOO YOU, so far, won't be out on the anniversary, 8-24, but it will be within the digit year 40 years later.

I guess they've discovered no profit in doing Deluxe editions with the ABKCO albums.

I don't think they really want to cooperate with ABKCO, they have not seemed to give them anything new or allowed them to release anything rare. The ABKCO deluxe editions have been nicely packaged but thats about all.

jb

I was surprised about Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet not having extras. The Stones seemed to have been working with Abkco. We got rock and Roll Circus and they worked together on 40 Licks and Grrr!.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 21, 2021 15:47

Nice to see Bill Wyman is still in the picture...

Date: July 21, 2021 15:53

exilestones
TheGreek
I am hoping for a super deluxe edition with lots of bonus stuff including a live show from 81 in multi formats including video ! That is what I wish for !

I'd much rather have a release of one of the DC shows over the Pontiac shows.I know they have video's of these concerts I was on the front row at one of them and there were cameras all over the place.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 21, 2021 16:38

exilestones
TheGreek

I would love it

Date: July 21, 2021 16:38

georgemcdonnell314
exilestones
TheGreek

I'd much rather have a release of one of the DC shows over the Pontiac shows.I know they have video's of these concerts I was on the front row at one of them and there were cameras all over the place.
I would also love that

Date: July 21, 2021 18:56

exilestones
VoodooLounge13
[

Am I the only one here is who isn't as enamored with IORR as many others? I became a Stones fan in 1989, at age 13, and I got SW on cassette along with The London Years for Christmas that year. In 1990, after Flashpoint, I found IORR very cheaply priced on cassette and decided to pick it up, but between the sound and lack of overall good songs, I thought it VERY different from what I knew of them already. Ever since, I've not listened to it much. It has one or two songs - Fingerprint File I've always enjoyed. But IORR and Undercover are the two least played studio albums for me........followed very closely by Emotional Rescue.

The official cassette tapes are very low quality. You'd think it would be great quality since it's an official release?

During the time when cassette players in cars were 'the thing' I would get LPs and record them on to high quality cassettes since the sound on the official releases sucked so badly!

It's Only Rock and Roll is one of my very favorite Stones albums. I didn't like it at first. If You Can't Rock Me and Dance Little Sister sound like a barrage of noise, now I LOVE THAT SOUND! Short and Curlies was always a great song for bachelor parties. Time Wait for No One...Mick Taylor among other great things about that song. Luxury with it's rock and roll reggae mix - very cool. The guitar solo in Dance Little Sister is my favorite! Some how If You Really Want to be My Friend takes the Stones to a whole other level in music and became a favorite with the best Jagger "ou Yeah!"

Some albums take time to grow on you like a vintage wine. What you may not like now may become great to you later. Revisit IORR from time to time. Give it a chance as you mature. Lie you said, you haven't listened to it much.

Emotional Rescue is another one as is Dirty Work, revisit from time to time to get to appreciate them. That's part of the beauty of being a Stones fan, these albums don't wear out after the initial rush like many songs do (Hot Legs by Rod Stewart comes to mind). They're like a fine wine, you'll develop a taste for them, I believe.

Dirty Work I actually listen to fairly regularly. I like that one a lot, more than most on here, I'd say.

Date: July 21, 2021 19:11

exilestones
schillid
falo01
dcba
boogaloojef
If they release a live 1981 show I hope it is one when they played Tops, Down The Apiece or Mona instead of the standard set list.

You mean Philie'81 aka "the most appaling opening gigs by a major rock band"?

Jagger would rather put his youngest child for adoption rather than see these 2 concerts being given an official release! grinning smiley

at least it would be fun!! lol (the release, not the adoption)

My friend and I shook our heads in disbelief it was SO BAD!
I passed the time... I took out my sketchbook... did some drawing & doodling, writing
We laughed at the spectacle, partied

The Philadelphia soundboards are cool because there wasn't any saxophone on the tour yet. One of the days had a cool Black Limousine with Ron doing extra lead guitar duties.

Another thing about the Philadelphia soundboards is noticing how fast the songs were played. They seem to pick-up where the 1978 tour left off. A lot different than the more laid back performances from the end of the tour.

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" sounds more like Love You Live than Hampton.

"Tops" was great to have - warts and all!

--

It would be cool to have "Down the Road Apiece" live from New Jersey. The best live 1981 tracks are from the "Screwed and Tattooed" bootleg (mainly from New Jersey) and the radio broadcasts (many great tracks from Pontiac, December 1st show). New Orleans was a hot show but it was never bootlegged in very good sound.

Phoenix 81 (Tempe) would be an excellent show to have complete - audio and video. Great concert but horribly butchered to death in the Hal Ashby movie. It would be great to have the full and a very clear sounding version of the whole Phoenix show, especially Just My Imagination, Black Limousine and Neighbors. Under My Thumb is great from Phoenix, too!

The Stones usually just re-release what we already have when it comes to live shows. It's great to have it in better sound. As far as the Stones creating a whole new faux concert with the NJ shows, Phoenix, DC and New Orleans, it'll never happen (Screwed and Tattoo'd picked the best tracks).

A nice photo book from the tour would be great. Most of then are in the Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes thread [iorr.org] . I'd love to help to put that book together.

I'd love to have some great photos included in a deluxe box set. My favorite 1981 photo is from Philadelphia (seen below):

Philadelphia, September 26, 1981 - photo by Ken Regan

The Stones wouldn't even have to photoshop Bill out of the picture, just the guy in the background with the rolling Stones baseball cap.
The 81 tour opener would be killer to have audio and video of . Also I agree that I would love the Tempe Arizona show on audio and video . It would be nice to have the Philly show(s) because there are no horns and it would be unique in the collection because of that alone .

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 21, 2021 20:39

VoodooLounge13
exilestones
VoodooLounge13
[

Dirty Work I actually listen to fairly regularly. I like that one a lot, more than most on here, I'd say.

I think most consider Undercover, and its followup, Dirty Work, to be the lowest point in their studio albums. There's one good song on Undercover, and maybe three on Dirty Work. They were made when the band was pretty non-functional, and it shows.

Date: July 21, 2021 20:41

24FPS
VoodooLounge13
exilestones
VoodooLounge13
[

I think most consider Undercover, and its followup, Dirty Work, to be the lowest point in their studio albums. There's one good song on Undercover, and maybe three on Dirty Work. They were made when the band was pretty non-functional, and it shows.

I'd argue that could be said of everything since ABB...

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: July 21, 2021 21:07

I was at the second Philly show. I would be shocked to see the Stones release either show although the second was much better. By their own admission, these shows are substandard. New Jersey shows later in the tour or the Hartford show were much better

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 21, 2021 21:14

24FPS

If the "Fully finished studio outtakes" show something is that, on the contrary, in the early eighties the band was pretty much alive, mislead by tensions and personal ambitions maybe, but full of creative energy

Date: July 21, 2021 21:48

maumau
24FPS

If the "Fully finished studio outtakes" show something is that, on the contrary, in the early eighties the band was pretty much alive, mislead by tensions and personal ambitions maybe, but full of creative energy
Exactly , and I would argue that Undercover was there last fertile and creative album , even though there was the 2 different presentations/ concepts from each twin before the implosion , which then brought Dirty Work and everything since . Darn Shame confused smiley

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 21, 2021 22:22

I'm a little sad that they haven't made any deluxe releases of Emotional Rescue, it's the album I love most of the Stones. However, the period is the same, so I think outtakes come from more or less the same sessions.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 21, 2021 23:19

24FPS

I think most consider Undercover, and its followup, Dirty Work, to be the lowest point in their studio albums. There's one good song on Undercover, and maybe three on Dirty Work.

Eeer....what ???
You think so...but "most" ?
I think Undercover is a masterpiece...compared with Dirty Work.

Posted by: bradleycsocal ()
Date: July 21, 2021 23:57

Since Bob sold his music, none of the Beatles own theirs, Fleetwood Mac sold theirs as so many other's have, the people that bought them didn't buy them just to own them. They bought them to make money and they are repackaging, rehashing, remaster everything and put it out to make their cash back. My guess is they will spend as little money as possible to maximize profit, so we won't be getting much....

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: July 22, 2021 00:36

Exciting!
1981 was when I became a die hard fanatic.
Start Me Up was huge on the radio and in the clubs.
I defied my parents and snuck across the border, into Buffalo for my first show.
I bought my first bootleg of the 81 Hampton Show in Toronto.
Start Me Up is my favorite Stones riff. Keith mentioned that there is a 20 minute version of the band, locked on that riff. I'd kill to hear it.
IIRC, Ronnie Wood was in one of his first recording sessions as a band member. He was egging on Keith- "C'mon, Start me Up!"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2021 01:45

shortfatfanny
24FPS

I think most consider Undercover, and its followup, Dirty Work, to be the lowest point in their studio albums. There's one good song on Undercover, and maybe three on Dirty Work.

Eeer....what ???

Love Undercover.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 22, 2021 02:44

treaclefingers
shortfatfanny
24FPS

Eeer....what ???

Love Undercover.

+1

Drew

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 22, 2021 05:03

shortfatfanny
24FPS

Eeer....what ???

It's not. It's the worst of the two. It's a shame the glorious Undercover of the Night has to be affiliated with such throwaway music. Dirty Work is only slightly better. Tell me what albums between 1963 and 1989 are worse Stones albums than those two pieces of drek.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2021 06:46

24FPS
shortfatfanny
24FPS

Eeer....what ???

It's not. It's the worst of the two. It's a shame the glorious Undercover of the Night has to be affiliated with such throwaway music. Dirty Work is only slightly better. Tell me what albums between 1963 and 1989 are worse Stones albums than those two pieces of drek.

Well...Dirty Work is the worst. But worse than Undercover? Everything after 1989, and between 63 and 89...Steel Wheels, Dirty Work, TSMR.

I mean, what can you say...it's been a great ride, and I love virtually everything so to say something is 'worse' than Undercover is a poor way to describe it. I also prefer Undercover to GHS but I wouldn't say GHS is worse.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 22, 2021 07:52

What Undercover failed to do was to match Tattoo You. Which is a shame because on Undercover they at least tried new material while Tattoo You was made of polished up 70s leftovers. Maybe U would have had a higher status had they toured on it? Which they never did. Instead they took a break for seven years so that Jagger could produce a couple of meaningless solo efforts.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: July 22, 2021 09:12

exilestones

Haha. That was a good one. I still cannot understand how they could do something like photoshopping BW out of the photo on the cover of Rarities... People talk about a lot of low points in the Stones' long career, but this one might just be the lowest.

Let's hope they came to their senses and the TY Deluxe won't repeat this.

Date: July 22, 2021 10:18

Stoneage
What Undercover failed to do was to match Tattoo You. Which is a shame because on Undercover they at least tried new material while Tattoo You was made of polished up 70s leftovers. Maybe U would have had a higher status had they toured on it? Which they never did. Instead they took a break for seven years so that Jagger could produce a couple of meaningless solo efforts.

7 years? They were back in the studio 2 years later in Paris.

They only had a 2 year break after DW as well. It felt like an eternity since they weren't touring, though.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 22, 2021 10:36

I really wonder what'll be on that TY reissue...

New material? The stuff that leaked on boots over the years was far from exciting : tracks from the rather prolific 79 sessions (Nassau/Paris) are pretty bland (the best of them was on ER) and in 1980 they did nothing new.

"Gangster's Moll" from Nassau is a good contender (and it has the same chords as "All About You"!) grinning smiley but that's about it.

Let's hope Uncle Micky has a few unbooted things in his cupboard.

Date: July 22, 2021 12:10

That Gangster's Mall, with the same chords as All About You, is new to me smiling smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 22, 2021 12:41

I don't think there will be more live stuff since there are already two releases covering that 1981/82 tour (Hampton and Leeds).

Does anybody have any clue when the Tattoo You deluxe edition might be released?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home