Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 61
Re: Any chance of a Tattoo You deluxe version next year?!
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 9, 2021 22:09

treaclefingers
Can't believe it's 40 years since Tattoo You. The last monster album and monster single.

Indeed. It’s their last great album; last, global hit with Start Me Up.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 10, 2021 06:11

stone66
GasLightStreet
stone66
A re-release adding outtakes from an album that was itself just mostly outtakes

It was entirely outtakes.

What about Heaven?

Wasn't that something Mick did on his own specifically for Tattoo You?

No. It's an EMOTIONAL RESCUE leftover, just like Little T&A, Neighbours and No Use In Crying. There were no band recordings for TATTOO YOU.

Date: July 10, 2021 06:17

(T)here's still loads (from those sessions). I mean, we could get another album out of that bunch. But that's an advantage you don't think about, really, with a band that goes on for a long time. One way or another, you end up with a backlog of really good stuff that, for one reason or another, you didn't get the chance to finish or put out because it was the wrong tempo or too long - purely technical reasons, you know? Sometimes we write our songs in installments - just get the melody and the music, and we'll cut the tracks and write the words later. That way, the actual tracks have matured, just like wine - you just leave it in the cellar for a bit, and it comes out a little better a few years later. It's stupid to LEAVE all that great stuff just for want of finishing it off and getting it together.

- Keith Richards, 1981

Well, you know, I don't think there's anything bad in using stuff (from) previous sessions. We recorded 20, 25 tracks and if you go on and if I say to everyone, Well... the first tracks to be finished are the ones that are gonna be on the album - if a track's not finished or if people have got doubts about it, then we'll save it, we'll recut it, throw it out the window, or put it on a future album.

- Mick Jagger, 1982

It's just that those songs didn't seem to fit on any album until now. We tried to use them before but they didn't seem to work. They're good songs though. But you know every album has a lot of oldies on it, and has done for years. We've used, like, Sweet Virginia which was on Exile On Main Street. That was recorded from before Beggars Banquet (sic).

- Mick Jagger, 1981

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 10, 2021 06:33

treaclefingers
TATTOO YOU TOO

That needs to be the name of a newly mastered and expanded double album. ...

Nice! That or maybe ...

TATTWO YOU

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 10, 2021 07:02

A new LP of all NEW material is preferred. After all, it has been 16 years.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 10, 2021 07:50

slewan
beside the fact that I doubt that a Tattoo You deluxe edition is needed… I guess it will be either TY or a new album (though the first possibility is much more likely)

Was a Goats Head Soup deluxe edition needed? Only a couple of the 'bonus' cuts are worth it. I'm thinking the new album would be in conjuction with a new tour. Call the album something that you can base a tour's design and name on. I think they could tour by the fall, but it might not happen until summer 2022. A Tattoo You Deluxe, with a new mix, etc, sounds like something to put in the Christmas stocking.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: July 10, 2021 08:27

These 'basement tracks' are, I assume, the so-called Fully Finished Outtakes that circulated recently. Many of them sound to me like they just needed a new vocal, which is basically what Mick did with existing outtakes forty years ago to create Tattoo You. FFO and Tattoo 2 is the same project surely?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 10, 2021 08:31

Sweet Virginia was recorded before Beggars Banquet?

jb

Posted by: exil ()
Date: July 10, 2021 08:37

Yer thats a shock.Hard to think S V was done that early.

Date: July 10, 2021 08:49

>These 'basement tracks' are, I assume, the so-called Fully Finished Outtakes that circulated recently.

Thats what I asserted could be possible on another thread. Would make total sense. But I was more optimistic: I said vols 4 - 6, different material.

that would be great.

jb

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 10, 2021 09:41

LeonidP
treaclefingers
TATTOO YOU TOO

That needs to be the name of a newly mastered and expanded double album. ...

Nice! That or maybe ...

TATTWO YOU

NICE...or, playing off that...

TAT2 U

Date: July 10, 2021 10:49

jbwelda
Sweet Virginia was recorded before Beggars Banquet?

jb

It said recorded before BB (sic)...

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 10, 2021 11:31

Tattoo You - 40th Anniversary Edition
Titled: Tattoo You Too

Disk 1: original album remastered
1. "Start Me Up"
2. "Hang Fire"
3. "Slave"
4. "Little T&A"
5. "Black Limousine"
6. "Neighbours"
7. "Worried About You"
8. "Tops"
9. "Heaven"
10. "No Use in Crying"
11. "Waiting on a Friend"

Disk 2: bonus
1. "Deep Love"
2. "I Can't See No One Else"
3. "Part of the Night"
4. "Living in the Heart of Love"
5. "Dog Shit"
6. "Keep It Cool"
7. "Still in Love"
8. "Cookin' Up"
9. "Putty (In Your Hands)"
10. "Tried to Talk Her Into It"
11. "Can't Find Love"
12. "(You Better) Stop That"
13. "Dreams to Remember"
14. "Strictly Memphis"

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 10, 2021 13:40

GasLightStreet
(T)here's still loads (from those sessions). I mean, we could get another album out of that bunch. But that's an advantage you don't think about, really, with a band that goes on for a long time. One way or another, you end up with a backlog of really good stuff that, for one reason or another, you didn't get the chance to finish or put out because it was the wrong tempo or too long - purely technical reasons, you know? Sometimes we write our songs in installments - just get the melody and the music, and we'll cut the tracks and write the words later. That way, the actual tracks have matured, just like wine - you just leave it in the cellar for a bit, and it comes out a little better a few years later. It's stupid to LEAVE all that great stuff just for want of finishing it off and getting it together.

- Keith Richards, 1981

Well, you know, I don't think there's anything bad in using stuff (from) previous sessions. We recorded 20, 25 tracks and if you go on and if I say to everyone, Well... the first tracks to be finished are the ones that are gonna be on the album - if a track's not finished or if people have got doubts about it, then we'll save it, we'll recut it, throw it out the window, or put it on a future album.

- Mick Jagger, 1982

It's just that those songs didn't seem to fit on any album until now. We tried to use them before but they didn't seem to work. They're good songs though. But you know every album has a lot of oldies on it, and has done for years. We've used, like, Sweet Virginia which was on Exile On Main Street. That was recorded from before Beggars Banquet (sic).

- Mick Jagger, 1981

[timeisonourside.com]

These are brilliant quotes, GLS, so suggestive. I would guess, though, that a later use of a somewhat older song may gain some flavour and colour from that later context when it is included in an album that is released.That is, if the song is rerecorded.

Or did the Stones, for instance, use the earlier version of "Sweet Virginia"? The third quote could be read that way as to that song..

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 10, 2021 15:58

The use of 'sic' in the quote is the clue. In other words, he's mistaken.

Mick's recollection of what albums songs are from is notoriously erratic. He's stating (correctly) that Sweet Virginia was recorded for an older album but he's incorrect in guessing it was for Beggars Banquet - the first known version is from summer 1970.

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: July 10, 2021 16:04

Please No!!!!! What a waste that would be. Another shitty unlistenable album instead of all of the great live music deteriorating in the vaults somewhere

Date: July 10, 2021 16:07

Please No!!!!! What a waste that would be. Another shitty unlistenable album instead of all of the great live music deteriorating in the vaults somewhere

Date: July 10, 2021 17:53

yearsinthemaking

Why does it have to be either/or? You're getting what you want anyway, which is 2 or 3 new releases of archive live albums every year. That's coming at us like water through a fire hose.

Chill out on the new material. Some of us would really like it, you can just ignore it if it ever does see the light of day.

Date: July 10, 2021 18:30

Gazza

Mick's recollection of what albums songs are from is notoriously erratic. He's stating (correctly) that Sweet Virginia was recorded for an older album but he's incorrect in guessing it was for Beggars Banquet - the first known version is from summer 1970.

thank you, I assumed the "sic" was because of the mangling of the English language in that incomplete sentence: "That was recorded from before Beggars Banquet (sic)."

I didn't think the song went back that far, certainly doesn't sound like it.

Thanks for clarifying I am not losing my mind completely.

Where can one hear this supposed 1970 version?

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-10 18:32 by jbwelda.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 10, 2021 18:49

yearsinthemaking

Funny, when I read your user name I can only relate it to the new album

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 11, 2021 10:15

NilsHolgersson
Tattoo You - 40th Anniversary Edition
Titled: Tattoo You Too

Disk 1: original album remastered
1. "Start Me Up"
2. "Hang Fire"
3. "Slave"
4. "Little T&A"
5. "Black Limousine"
6. "Neighbours"
7. "Worried About You"
8. "Tops"
9. "Heaven"
10. "No Use in Crying"
11. "Waiting on a Friend"

Disk 2: bonus
1. "Deep Love"
2. "I Can't See No One Else"
3. "Part of the Night"
4. "Living in the Heart of Love"
5. "Dog Shit"
6. "Keep It Cool"
7. "Still in Love"
8. "Cookin' Up"
9. "Putty (In Your Hands)"
10. "Tried to Talk Her Into It"
11. "Can't Find Love"
12. "(You Better) Stop That"
13. "Dreams to Remember"
14. "Strictly Memphis"

I add;
15. She never listens to me
[youtu.be]

16. What am i gonna do with your love
[youtu.be]

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 11, 2021 22:09

What about all the hours of material sent to Don Was for Exile, from which he only selected 10/11 tracks?

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: July 11, 2021 22:26

I'll wait until Xmas for a Tattoo You Deluxe...all I have is the original vinyl...otherwise I will just burn a CD of it at home with my personally selected bonus tracks!

Date: July 11, 2021 23:31

I want Tattoo You TOO!

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 12, 2021 04:03

I remember reading an interview with Chris Kimsey and he recalled going through the vaults and selecting about 20 tracks for the Stones to choose from for Tattoo You. However, I recall him mentioning in another interview the outtakes from the period You Win Again, We Had It All (Now both officially released on the Some Girls bonus disc.), Let's Go Steady (Again) and Munich Hilton.

So it is possible some if his choices on the original list might have been used on the Some Girls bonus disc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-12 04:12 by boogaloojef.

Date: July 12, 2021 22:50

jbwelda
Gazza

thank you, I assumed the "sic" was because of the mangling of the English language in that incomplete sentence: "That was recorded from before Beggars Banquet (sic)."

I didn't think the song went back that far, certainly doesn't sound like it.

Thanks for clarifying I am not losing my mind completely.

Where can one hear this supposed 1970 version?

jb

Apparently this is from the October 1970 Stargroves sessions for STICKY FINGERS. The EXILE version was most likely recorded in France and finished in Los Angeles but also could've been recorded in Los Angeles like whatever other tracks were.

Date: July 12, 2021 23:31

Witness
GasLightStreet

- Keith Richards, 1981

- Mick Jagger, 1982

- Mick Jagger, 1981

[timeisonourside.com]

These are brilliant quotes, GLS, so suggestive. I would guess, though, that a later use of a somewhat older song may gain some flavour and colour from that later context when it is included in an album that is released.That is, if the song is rerecorded.

Or did the Stones, for instance, use the earlier version of "Sweet Virginia"? The third quote could be read that way as to that song..

Just as Gazza pointed out, Mick doesn't have the clearest memory of what was done for what. Their 1994 New Orleans show Mick said "This is one from BLACK AND BLUE it's called 'Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo'".

There are different takes of Neighbours but what is the LP take can be heard in its raw form and it's obvious it is the bottom of what was finished.

Sweet Virginia may be one of several takes recorded for STICKY FINGERS, or it is from France, or it is from Los Angeles. Based on what boots are available, they kept working on it, because the 1970 version is not the LP version. Certainly other songs were from earlier sessions but, overall, it's that the songs were started earlier, period.

Mick saying they've used a lot of oldies before - a great example is Short And Curlies, recorded for GOATS HEAD SOUP. Loving Cup, recorded for LET IT BLEED. And whatever others, obviously TATTOO YOU being the only one completely made up of leftovers.

Too Tough was Cellophane Trousers but it's not the Cellophane Trousers take from 1975 because they recorded it again, with a bit more to it, in 1982, and the LP take is from 1983.

But nothing for TATTOO YOU was recorded again, just like some tracks here and there on whatever albums (Shine A Light, Sister Morphine, Summer Romance).

In BEING MICK he can be seen in a studio with various master Stones recordings. It's easy to assume because of that that all of their master multi-track tapes have been transferred to digital, something that possibly has been worked on for years. No doubt the extra tracks for EOMS, SG, SF and GHS were digitized for additional recording and editing. The master multi-track tapes are probably in horrible condition.

As I've mentioned earlier or in another thread or whatever, what no one knows is if there were any other tracks considered or even worked on for TY. Perhaps Chris Kimsey knows and that is what this supposed TY deluxe could be based on. There's no point in Mick using tracks from 1982 onward, although, that didn't stop him with the SG deluxe.

Will this be the last deluxe reissue of an LP? Time keeps flying, though. Kind of seems that that may be the case.

Still a few albums left to deluxe up if they wanted to. Most likely has zero to do with "demand" and there's very little money to be made from it since very few buy hard copies anymore. As Keith said about SUCKING, demands from the record label.

Date: July 13, 2021 01:49

thanks GLS, I thought like you said the LP version at least was recorded in France and maybe finished in LA.

jb

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 13, 2021 04:10

I think the Exile version of Sweet Virginia stems from Olympic in 1970 during the Sticky Fingers sessions. There are too many similarities for me to think it was originally recorded elsewhere.

Listen to Loving Cup from the Let It Bleed sessions and then the Exile version (which may have even been recorded again for Sticky Fingers). They were obviously recorded at different times in different sessions. I don't really hear that with Sweet Virginia. They probably did some overdubs in France or LA though.

As far as Tattoo You goes, I imagine the outtakes would be the material Kimsey brought forward to work on or maybe alternate versions of some songs that made the record.

Date: July 13, 2021 04:37

But everyone agrees Mick was off the mark when he claimed SV was recorded at or before Beggars Banquet, and particularly so since he implied the very take/version used on EOMS was from BB era. Just exactly when the version used on EOMS was recorded post Let It Bleed is the question.

jb

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1077
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home