Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 61
Re: Any chance of a Tattoo You deluxe version next year?!
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 26, 2020 17:13

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
SITS and Rarities are different types of compilations. Rarities purports to be what the title says: a collection of rare songs (mostly b sides), that only fans would buy, the flaw being that it doesn't quite live up to that principle as it has the occasional song on it that is available on a regular album anyway.

SITS seems to be leaning more to a greatest hits type of compilation to a degree, probably aimed at the larger audiences that only want 'the hits' from that period. As such it is indeed a strange set, only essential for the fans because it has, what, three songs on it that weren't available elsewhere.

This is why I bought Rarities, but not SITS (at the time I already owned the single b side and taped the other two relevant songs and today you have these two on dvd and Rarities). I can't see the need to have versions of songs I already have on albums, but have parts of them cut out. Which is why Honk really isn't such a bad compilation as it has the proper, full versions instead of the aborted ones on previous compilations.

Tattoo You may have been compiled from already existing songs, but to me it sure works as a proper new studio album, more so than some other albums I know, I see it a bit like The Stones' own Abbey Road smiling smiley Let's just see if the expanded GHS will really come out, personally I don't see how TY could get the expanded treatment, except with alternate takes and some live stuff maybe.

If I Was A Dancer, When The Whip Comes Down (live), Mannish Boy (live), Everything Is Turning To Gold, Time Waits For No One and Crazy Mama probably let them down, then smiling smiley

No, I think it was planned as an "oddball-compilation", from the title, via the cover art to the selection of songs. Odds and ends, with a few singles thrown in.

What Keith had to say about SITS:

That's just going along with record company demands and what's written in the contract.

He didn't say anything about TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE. The only one he's ever really talked about, that I've read, anyway, was FORTY LICKS. It's probably safe to say Keith has no idea about TWFNO, REWIND or JUMP BACK.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 26, 2020 17:49

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
SITS and Rarities are different types of compilations. Rarities purports to be what the title says: a collection of rare songs (mostly b sides), that only fans would buy, the flaw being that it doesn't quite live up to that principle as it has the occasional song on it that is available on a regular album anyway.

SITS seems to be leaning more to a greatest hits type of compilation to a degree, probably aimed at the larger audiences that only want 'the hits' from that period. As such it is indeed a strange set, only essential for the fans because it has, what, three songs on it that weren't available elsewhere.

This is why I bought Rarities, but not SITS (at the time I already owned the single b side and taped the other two relevant songs and today you have these two on dvd and Rarities). I can't see the need to have versions of songs I already have on albums, but have parts of them cut out. Which is why Honk really isn't such a bad compilation as it has the proper, full versions instead of the aborted ones on previous compilations.

Tattoo You may have been compiled from already existing songs, but to me it sure works as a proper new studio album, more so than some other albums I know, I see it a bit like The Stones' own Abbey Road smiling smiley Let's just see if the expanded GHS will really come out, personally I don't see how TY could get the expanded treatment, except with alternate takes and some live stuff maybe.

If I Was A Dancer, When The Whip Comes Down (live), Mannish Boy (live), Everything Is Turning To Gold, Time Waits For No One and Crazy Mama probably let them down, then smiling smiley

No, I think it was planned as an "oddball-compilation", from the title, via the cover art to the selection of songs. Odds and ends, with a few singles thrown in.

You're right, you could argue that the hit singles are in the minority, but there are a few and that's a difference with Rarities is what I meant. I should have said 'best of' compilation (one could criticize the choices) instead of 'greatest hits': some singles, some album cuts, and three curios. My point was Rarities is about rarities (albeit with some stupid exceptions), whereas 7 of the 10 songs on SITS are found on the then recent regular albums and by no means rare.
But yes, the compilation buyers probably wanted more hits, but hey, what do we care about those people... winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-26 18:14 by SomeGuy.

Date: May 26, 2020 17:50

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy

What Keith had to say about SITS:

That's just going along with record company demands and what's written in the contract.

He didn't say anything about TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE. The only one he's ever really talked about, that I've read, anyway, was FORTY LICKS. It's probably safe to say Keith has no idea about TWFNO, REWIND or JUMP BACK.

Well, luckily they bothered enough to make that hilarious Rewind video smiling smiley

Date: May 26, 2020 20:27

1984 was a bit of a weird year for the Stones - a definite end of an era:

She Was Hot was released as a single at the end of January.

Mick started recording demos for SHE'S THE BOSS at the end of March.

In May Mick and Bill filmed their parts for VIDEO REWIND, Mick recorded on Whacko's State Of Shock and he started recording SHE'S THE BOSS, which continued through July and then more in September-November.

In July REWIND, their first CD release, came out, with Brown Sugar as its single a week later, as their last release with Warner Music and EMI.

VIDEO REWIND came out in November and Mick filmed RUNNING OUT OF LUCK that month.

Too Much Blood was released as a single in December.

From what's to be read here [www.nzentgraf.de] for 1984 Stu, Charlie, Ronnie and Bill did various interviews, performances and recordings with different bands and people. Apparently Keith didn't venture out at all.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: May 26, 2020 21:57

stone66
After TY gets the deluxe/remaster/reissue treatment, then it gets depressing, because all that's left will be Undercover, Dirty Work, etc.

I see what ur saying, but they haven't been doing them all chronologically, ie Some Girls before the Goat Head Soup reissue, etc.

And Undercover is a pretty cool record too imho.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 27, 2020 01:02

Why don’t they just ditch the whole deluxe version thing and release a boxed set of rarities/Demos/alternates. The basic reissue of each album do not sound as good as the Virgin releases anyway.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 27, 2020 01:23

Lynd8
Why don’t they just ditch the whole deluxe version thing and release a boxed set of rarities/Demos/alternates. The basic reissue of each album do not sound as good as the Virgin releases anyway.

Yep, that would be the honest way to handle it. Like "Outtakes 1963-XXXX". And, perhaps, "Bootlegs 1969-XXXX". But I guess they have a business plan and that wouldn't yield as much money.
So, instead they drop them one by one. And I don't care that much. My interest in buying 30-40 year old stuff isn't that big more anymore. In the 80s and 90s I would have bought everything though.
It's a pity it took them 40 years to start opening the vaults...

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: May 27, 2020 02:02

GasLightStreet
stone66
A re-release adding outtakes from an album that was itself just mostly outtakes

It was entirely outtakes.

What about Heaven?

Wasn't that something Mick did on his own specifically for Tattoo You?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 27, 2020 02:52

Lots of "Heaven"-ly stuff here:

[iorr.org]

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: May 27, 2020 03:03

Always wanted them to do a Bootleg Series-type release of The Paris Sessions 1977-80. Could have covered the trove of outtakes that covered the three albums Some Girls, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You. (Could cheat and throw anything earth-shaking in from Barbados)

As for a Deluxe Tattoo You, there's plenty of material - remember, we have no idea what alternate versions of these songs exist from earlier sessions a la the Sticky Fingers alts they released, as well as the All Down The Line from Exile.

Earliest versions of: Waiting On My friend, Worried About You, Tops, Slave are already circulating, who knows what's in the vaults we've never heard.

Earlier mixes/takes of: Start Me Up, No Use In Crying, Black Limousines, Little T&A, Hang Fire, Neighbours, Heaven all exist in circulation.

The Art Collins tapes prove these things exist, and hint that there are many more.

Master tape versions even of just the circulating stuff would make a more than satisfying bonus disc.

Could be rehearsal versions of any of these from Long View Farm.
Could be a soundboard of Sir Morgan's Cove (though I doubt it)with first-ever performances.

But plenty to just stick with the studio. Could release the promos, and the Mick promotional introduction vids for Atlantic Records. Though those are all pretty shoddy.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: May 27, 2020 11:36

TumblinDice76
Mariano, I'm actually in the very small minority that actually likes Dirty Work. Yes, several songs like Back to Zero and Winning Ugly real of 80s production and sound very outdated but I live the Chuck Berry sound of "Had it With you" the very by the Stones sounding title track. Harlem Shuffle is a solid cover and One Hit to the Bottom is a total gem. However, sales for a Dirty Work Special Edition would be quite dismal. I always felt that no supporting tour for ER, Undercover, and Dirty Work really hurt those albums. Just imagine an Undercover support tour.

One hit to the bottom? Ooh matron!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 27, 2020 11:47

Why so divine the pain of love
That's what they call it: the pain of love
Tie me up, tie me up, tie me up, tie me up .......

ROCKMAN

Date: May 27, 2020 18:28

stone66
GasLightStreet
stone66

What about Heaven?

OMFG really? Have you not paid attention at ALL?

Date: May 27, 2020 18:44

^^^^ Wow, really? That's how you answer a question?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 27, 2020 18:59

That's how all teachers should answer. To teach them little rats to not ask stupid questions and keep silent!

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: May 27, 2020 19:00

stone66

Yeah he can be a bit prickly, Stone66. Must be a treat at parties. You'll say the sky is blue and he'll correct you and tell you "it's light blue, what is wrong with you?"

I think the basic track for "Heaven" came from the 'Emotional Rescue' sessions. Overdub sessions for the Tattoo You tracks including many vocals were done new in '81. That's my understanding anyway, though perhaps I too will get a response as though I were a misbehaving child.

Date: May 27, 2020 22:01

floodonthepage
stone66

Yeah he can be a bit prickly, Stone66. Must be a treat at parties. You'll say the sky is blue and he'll correct you and tell you "it's light blue, what is wrong with you?"

I think the basic track for "Heaven" came from the 'Emotional Rescue' sessions. Overdub sessions for the Tattoo You tracks including many vocals were done new in '81. That's my understanding anyway, though perhaps I too will get a response as though I were a misbehaving child.

Most likely, Gaslight was the one that made you aware of it stemming from the ER-sessions in the first place smiling smiley

Date: May 27, 2020 22:07

floodonthepage
stone66

It's only been talked about A LOT on the Heaven talk thread that it's another EMOTIONAL RESCUE leftover, which happens to be as active as this thread at the same time. Go blow that blue sky purple at your party!

Date: May 27, 2020 22:14

stone66
GasLightStreet
stone66

What about Heaven?

How's this for a response to your question:

It's something Mick specifically finished for TATTOO YOU that was recorded for EMOTIONAL RESCUE in 1979.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: May 28, 2020 00:19

DandelionPowderman
floodonthepage
stone66

Most likely, Gaslight was the one that made you aware of it stemming from the ER-sessions in the first place smiling smiley

Ha! Actually, no. But even if he was the one that made me aware, it's hardly common knowledge to everyone, and...IMHO...it makes the whole forum look bad when someone comes to the board looking for answers and gets that kind of a response. I'm not on here a lot myself, but I've been on long enough to know there's a few posters that kinda treat people that way.

Date: May 28, 2020 04:07

floodonthepage
DandelionPowderman
floodonthepage
stone66

Ha! Actually, no. But even if he was the one that made me aware, it's hardly common knowledge to everyone, and...IMHO...it makes the whole forum look bad when someone comes to the board looking for answers and gets that kind of a response. I'm not on here a lot myself, but I've been on long enough to know there's a few posters that kinda treat people that way.

Oh my, here's a tissue - it wasn't THAT bad of a response. I'll keep in mind next time that some people don't read some current things when asking such a question.

Date: May 28, 2020 05:09

floodonthepage
stone66

OK, got it, thanks!

Because I'm not on here every day, and have other things in life to think about besides Rolling Stones trivia non-stop, sometimes I'll mis-remember bits of information and confuse one thing for something else.

I mean, this is a forum where information and assorted opinions are exchanged, so when a thread like this comes up and I wonder about something relating to the topic, I ask a question to get the information. But...

...we're expected to read every thread top to bottom and know about everything that's been discussed and when...

Based on those brusque responses above, it's like some folks are just too cool for the room, y'know? As if they own the place.

Well, thanks for answering my question. Now I'll just log out, and get back to focusing on some of those "other things".

Date: May 28, 2020 19:11

Very well said Stone66

stone66
floodonthepage
stone66

OK, got it, thanks!

Because I'm not on here every day, and have other things in life to think about besides Rolling Stones trivia non-stop, sometimes I'll mis-remember bits of information and confuse one thing for something else.

I mean, this is a forum where information and assorted opinions are exchanged, so when a thread like this comes up and I wonder about something relating to the topic, I ask a question to get the information. But...

...we're expected to read every thread top to bottom and know about everything that's been discussed and when...

Based on those brusque responses above, it's like some folks are just too cool for the room, y'know? As if they own the place.

Well, thanks for answering my question. Now I'll just log out, and get back to focusing on some of those "other things".

Date: May 29, 2020 06:34

georgemcdonnell314
Very well said Stone66

stone66
floodonthepage
stone66

OK, got it, thanks!

It was well said.

Sorry, Stone66. I'll be more open minded about such things.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 29, 2020 10:25

I'd be prepared to pay for a comprehensive Neil Young-style anthology set of alternative takes, outtakes and live shows. Dylan's been doing his bootleg series for decades. Come on Stones, you know it makes sense.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 9, 2021 12:15

FrogSugar

I'm no expert on the timing or order of the reissues they've been doing, but does a 40th anniversary reissue of Tattoo You seem likely?

From [www.DailyMail.co.uk] - (8-Jul-2021):

"The Rolling Stones are currently finishing off their latest album in London, which is set to be released later this year. Mick is working on material with band-mates Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts in the UK, while Keith Richards contributes from his home in the US. They are also planning to release another album of remastered 'basement tracks' never previously released from around the time of their Tattoo You 1981 release."

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 9, 2021 12:27

beside the fact that I doubt that a Tattoo You deluxe edition is needed… I guess it will be either TY or a new album (though the first possibility is much more likely)

Posted by: MAYO ()
Date: July 9, 2021 12:35

title :TATOO NEXT ME......?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 9, 2021 18:39

stone66
floodonthepage
stone66

OK, got it, thanks!

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 9, 2021 18:47

Can't believe it's 40 years since Tattoo You. The last monster album and monster single.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home