Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 61
Tattoo You deluxe version
Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: May 24, 2020 20:49

IORR EDITORIAL UPDATE AUG 20, 2021:

From RollingStones.com:

TATOO YOU 40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
40 years after it’s original release, Tattoo You returns with an all-new 2021 master, alongside 9 new unheard tracks (listen to ‘Living In The Heart Of Love’ now) & bonus live cuts. This is a celebration of one of the Stones most iconic albums - which includes monster hits ‘Start Me Up’ & ‘Waiting On A Friend’ alongside all-time fan favourites like ‘Black Limousine’ & ‘Heaven’.

Available on deluxe LP & CD (featuring the classic album & unheard tracks), limited edition clear vinyl & picture disc (both exclusive to the Stones store), and immersive 4CD & 5LP boxsets. 4CD boxset also includes a limited edition Keith Richards Picture Disc, expansive book charting the history of the album & a very special lenticular version of the classic artwork… dive in.

-----

ORIGINAL POST May 24, 2020:

Any chance of a Tattoo You deluxe version next year?!?

I'm no expert on the timing or order of the reissues they've been doing, but does a 40th anniversary reissue of Tattoo You seem likely?

I only have a vinyl version of the album and am itching to have a CD version, but the one that's available doesn't really have an amazeballs booklet and I would hate to get that version now if there's a chance a better reissue is right around the corner (relatively speaking - 2021) with a bonus disc of extras and a cool booklet.

As Tattoo You is already a patchwork of previous recordings, I don't know what a bonus disc would include, maybe a live show, or live rarities... Maybe Tattoo You won't even have a deluxe version, or will be dead last after they do deluxe versions of Emotional Rescue, Black and Blue, IORR, etc...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-20 16:35 by bv.

Re: Any chance of a Tattoo You deluxe version next year?!
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 25, 2020 01:37

it would be good to get many live versions of the songs from tattoo you.

most have been played live at some point.

or even alternate outtakes from the studio.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 25, 2020 01:48

FrogSugar-years ago when the Some Girls reissue set came out, Jagger said in an interview that they still need to do Tattoo You and few others. So it appears, a special edition TY is planned but who knows when it will surface.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: May 25, 2020 02:02

It would be ironic though, wouldn't it - I mean, we have had deluxe versions of Exikes and Sone Girls where they have dusted off some old unfinished tracks....and Tattoo You was an album made up largely of previously unfinished tracks that they dusted off...so a deluxe version of Tattoo You would perhaps be scraping the bottom of the barrel (ie they 'd need to find some previously unfinished tracks that weren't good enough to finish first time round, or even second time round...)

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: May 25, 2020 16:53

TumblinDice76
FrogSugar-years ago when the Some Girls reissue set came out, Jagger said in an interview that they still need to do Tattoo You and few others. So it appears, a special edition TY is planned but who knows when it will surface.

Cool...I don't remember reading that :-)
I guess I'll wait until the end of next year then.

Date: May 25, 2020 17:37

TumblinDice76

Wasn't it David Fricke who actually said it? Mick confirmed, though.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: May 25, 2020 19:00

john lomax
It would be ironic though, wouldn't it - I mean, we have had deluxe versions of Exikes and Sone Girls where they have dusted off some old unfinished tracks....and Tattoo You was an album made up largely of previously unfinished tracks that they dusted off...so a deluxe version of Tattoo You would perhaps be scraping the bottom of the barrel (ie they 'd need to find some previously unfinished tracks that weren't good enough to finish first time round, or even second time round...)

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title. If they can dig up enough old material worth releasing to make a second CD, then why not just release it as a new album the way they did with TY in the first place?

Date: May 25, 2020 19:07

I did some digging trying to find the article and I can't. If my memory serves me right (and it may not) the interviewer asked why they followed up the EOMS special edition with Some Girls instead of Sticky Fingers or Let it Bleed. If I remember right Mack's response was-yeah were probably going to do those and Tattoo You. Obviously, TY stuck out im my mind as an odd choice since it pretty much was a left overs album to begin with. With Hamptom '81 and Leeds '82 already issued, not a lot of options for bonus material. Not to get off topic but....how many more Special Editions can we really expect. On the ABCO end we have-Ya-Ya's, Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet and TSMR already out. With "On Air" and Rock N Roll Circus also released, that really only leaves BTB and Aftermath. Both would be cool with a live disc as a bonus. I can't see a special edition of the first 5 albums. So the post ABCO days, we already have SF, EOMS, SG, and allegedly GHS. Can't see IORR getting a Sekux Edition. Obviously Dirty Work won't get one and I can't see anything from Steel Wheels on getting one. So that leaves Black and Blue, ER, and Undercover. Not sure those warrant Special Editions either.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: May 25, 2020 20:09

Im sorry Mr Dice'76
I disagree
But dirty work
Could be one of the best
If we think about outtakes

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 25, 2020 20:27

I'd love a Dirty Work bonus disc. Many outtakes were better than those included on the album. 'Strictly Memphis' and 'What Am I Gonna Do With Your Love' are the first two that come to mind. 'Baby You're Too Much' would be nice to hear in perfect quality too. Mind you, they put out a Some Girls bonus disc with out 'Fiji Gin' or 'Misty Roads' and an Exile bonus disc without 'Hillside Blues' so either they are stark staring mad or they are holding some songs back for a Springsteen- style 'Tracks' release one day?

Date: May 25, 2020 20:31

Mariano, I'm actually in the very small minority that actually likes Dirty Work. Yes, several songs like Back to Zero and Winning Ugly real of 80s production and sound very outdated but I live the Chuck Berry sound of "Had it With you" the very by the Stones sounding title track. Harlem Shuffle is a solid cover and One Hit to the Bottom is a total gem. However, sales for a Dirty Work Special Edition would be quite dismal. I always felt that no supporting tour for ER, Undercover, and Dirty Work really hurt those albums. Just imagine an Undercover support tour.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 25, 2020 20:31

john lomax

Scraping the bottom of the barrel? I forget what thread it is but there was some talk kind of recently about tracks that were considered for what became TATTOO YOU and, of course, it's mainly guesswork but it's logical to think that Mick and Chris worked on more than 11 songs. Mick and Keith listened to SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE leftovers in September of 1980 supposedly. That October, with mostly Mick but Keith apparently did a little bit, work started on what Kimsey had gone through whenever that was that he said took him 3 months, which includes the 1975 and 1972 sessions he listened to. Since he worked on SG and ER, the latter of which included Hang Fire, Neighbours, No Use In Crying in 1979, which gives you an idea of how ER could've turned out as well - he probably had a pretty good idea already of what was close to being finished. He's never stated nor have any of the Stones what, if any, other songs were worked on or even considered.

(T)here's still loads (from those sessions). I mean, we could get another album out of that bunch. But that's an advantage you don't think about, really, with a band that goes on for a long time. One way or another, you end up with a backlog of really good stuff that, for one reason or another, you didn't get the chance to finish or put out because it was the wrong tempo or too long - purely technical reasons, you know? Sometimes we write our songs in installments - just get the melody and the music, and we'll cut the tracks and write the words later. That way, the actual tracks have matured, just like wine - you just leave it in the cellar for a bit, and it comes out a little better a few years later. It's stupid to LEAVE all that great stuff just for want of finishing it off and getting it together.

- Keith Richards, 1981

[timeisonourside.com]

On a lighter note, Kimsey and Mick worked on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES that fall and winter of 1980 right after the first big sessions for TY.

Date: May 25, 2020 20:43

One of the pedals that Keith used at that time.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 25, 2020 20:58

TATTOO YOU TOO

That needs to be the name of a newly mastered and expanded double album. This time, one whole album (10 or 11) of fast cuts, and the second an album of Worried About You/Heaven/No Use in Crying style numbers.

I'd pay for the vinyl, the coloured vinyl (3 flavours, Lemon, Lime and Cherry Red), the double CD, the Deluxe CD pack, the Super Deluxe Box (that comes with a 'life like' hoof in a shoe), and the Japanese SHM Super Deluxe Box that comes with exactly one additional track.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 25, 2020 21:13

I don't know if they dust off old tracks at all. Remember Sticky Fingers Deluxe was only Alternate Versions + Live versions of songs from Let it Bleed and Beggars Banquet.

Date: May 25, 2020 21:15

TumblinDice76
I did some digging trying to find the article and I can't. If my memory serves me right (and it may not) the interviewer asked why they followed up the EOMS special edition with Some Girls instead of Sticky Fingers or Let it Bleed. If I remember right Mack's response was-yeah were probably going to do those and Tattoo You. Obviously, TY stuck out im my mind as an odd choice since it pretty much was a left overs album to begin with. With Hamptom '81 and Leeds '82 already issued, not a lot of options for bonus material. Not to get off topic but....how many more Special Editions can we really expect. On the ABCO end we have-Ya-Ya's, Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet and TSMR already out. With "On Air" and Rock N Roll Circus also released, that really only leaves BTB and Aftermath. Both would be cool with a live disc as a bonus. I can't see a special edition of the first 5 albums. So the post ABCO days, we already have SF, EOMS, SG, and allegedly GHS. Can't see IORR getting a Sekux Edition. Obviously Dirty Work won't get one and I can't see anything from Steel Wheels on getting one. So that leaves Black and Blue, ER, and Undercover. Not sure those warrant Special Editions either.

I did some searching as well and found this, which isn't about TATTOO YOU but is too damn funny not to mention here:

For now, the closest fans will get is the stellar Some Girls Live in Texas DVD (part of the deluxe reissue and sold separately) — shot on a hot night in Fort Worth during the Stones’ brief summer 1978 tour. “As soon as I heard about the DVD, I thought we must have toured with that album,” says Wood. “We were just so high.”

Ronnie DOES NOT REMEMBER THE 1978 TOUR.

That goof aside, the bit you mentioned, which I highlighted, this is the closest I could find so far:

The Some Girls and Exile reissues might only be the beginning: Was wants to tackle Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers soon.

“There’s so much material,” he says. “If they never went in the studio again, you could have a new Stones album every year for the next 50 years, and it would all be good.”

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: May 25, 2020 21:24

TumblinDice76
Mariano, I'm actually in the very small minority that actually likes Dirty Work. Yes, several songs like Back to Zero and Winning Ugly real of 80s production and sound very outdated but I live the Chuck Berry sound of "Had it With you" the very by the Stones sounding title track. Harlem Shuffle is a solid cover and One Hit to the Bottom is a total gem. However, sales for a Dirty Work Special Edition would be quite dismal. I always felt that no supporting tour for ER, Undercover, and Dirty Work really hurt those albums. Just imagine an Undercover support tour.

Not touring those albums probably had very little influence on their sales - none of them had a HUGE single ala Miss You or Start Me Up.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 25, 2020 22:45

GLS
On a lighter note, Kimsey and Mick worked on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES that fall and winter of 1980 right after the first big sessions for TY

Come to think of it - Sucking in The Seventies should have been the name for Tattoo You. For explanatory reasons. And Sucking in The Seventies should have been named Sucking in The Seventies II.
Or Scattered 70s Leftovers. But I guess that was never in the makings... Sucking in The Seventies reminds me of "Rarities" in a way. Such an aimless collection of songs. Still, I bought them both of course...

Date: May 25, 2020 22:57

Stoneage
GLS
On a lighter note, Kimsey and Mick worked on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES that fall and winter of 1980 right after the first big sessions for TY

Come to think of it - Sucking in The Seventies should have been the name for Tattoo You. For explanatory reasons. And Sucking in The Seventies should have been named Sucking in The Seventies II.
Or Scattered 70s Leftovers. But I guess that was never in the makings... Sucking in The Seventies reminds me of "Rarities" in a way. Such an aimless collection of songs. Still, I bought them both of course...

SITS is a much better compilation than RARITIES - the fantastic live version of Whip, the magnificent If I Was A Dancer, at the time the only place the single edit versions of Beast Of Burden and Fool To Cry were available on an LP; Everything Is Turning To Gold; the edit versions of Hot Stuff, Crazy Mama and Time Waits For No One are awesome.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 25, 2020 23:12

GasLightStreet
Stoneage
GLS

SITS is a much better compilation than RARITIES - the fantastic live version of Whip, the magnificent If I Was A Dancer, at the time the only place the single edit versions of Beast Of Burden and Fool To Cry were available on an LP; Everything Is Turning To Gold; the edit versions of Hot Stuff, Crazy Mama and Time Waits For No One are awesome.

Agree, GLS. But it had the same random mix of live and studio recordings.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 25, 2020 23:22

SITS and Rarities are different types of compilations. Rarities purports to be what the title says: a collection of rare songs (mostly b sides), that only fans would buy, the flaw being that it doesn't quite live up to that principle as it has the occasional song on it that is available on a regular album anyway.

SITS seems to be leaning more to a greatest hits type of compilation to a degree, probably aimed at the larger audiences that only want 'the hits' from that period. As such it is indeed a strange set, only essential for the fans because it has, what, three songs on it that weren't available elsewhere.

This is why I bought Rarities, but not SITS (at the time I already owned the single b side and taped the other two relevant songs and today you have these two on dvd and Rarities). I can't see the need to have versions of songs I already have on albums, but have parts of them cut out. Which is why Honk really isn't such a bad compilation as it has the proper, full versions instead of the aborted ones on previous compilations.

Tattoo You may have been compiled from already existing songs, but to me it sure works as a proper new studio album, more so than some other albums I know, I see it a bit like The Stones' own Abbey Road smiling smiley Let's just see if the expanded GHS will really come out, personally I don't see how TY could get the expanded treatment, except with alternate takes and some live stuff maybe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-25 23:30 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 26, 2020 00:00

A deluxe version of an album that was cobbled together from old leftovers?

Highly unlikely.

Saying that, they rewrote history with the 'outtakes' on the Exile and Some Girls reissues that were 'supposed' to be from those sessions, so anything's possible.

They missed a trick by not putting together an expanded release of outtakes from the 1977-81 era (and maybe even 1977-83 at a push) as theres so much overlap.

Maybe they'll start doing era-specific 'Bootleg series' type releases in the coming years after they finally give up trying to make new albums.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 26, 2020 00:09

If Georgelicks says 100% no, it’s 80% yes...cool smiley

Date: May 26, 2020 00:16

Gazza
A deluxe version of an album that was cobbled together from old leftovers?

Highly unlikely.

Saying that, they rewrote history with the 'outtakes' on the Exile and Some Girls reissues that were 'supposed' to be from those sessions, so anything's possible.

They missed a trick by not putting together an expanded release of outtakes from the 1977-81 era (and maybe even 1977-83 at a push) as theres so much overlap.

Maybe they'll start doing era-specific 'Bootleg series' type releases in the coming years after they finally give up trying to make new albums.

If they put out a deluxe reissue of TATTOO YOU and include tracks recorded for UNDERCOVER at least they'll be from the same studio as some of the TY tracks, just like some of the ER tracks were on the SG deluxe. Well, one. But you know what I mean, it's all very clear and obvious.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: May 26, 2020 05:55

A re-release adding outtakes from an album that was itself just mostly outtakes?

I suppose they could add a disc of demos, some live versions, concert rehearsals, etc.

Hate to think what the original album would sound like "remastered" according to disastrous 21st century production values -- in addition to "brickwalling", perhaps they'll add an autotune to Keith singing Little T&A. Leave it alone -- with Tattoo You, they managed one, last, great "70s" album.

They still have 50th anniversaries coming up for other 70s albums that could be reissued. The 50th for TY is in 2031, which makes more sense.

After TY gets the deluxe/remaster/reissue treatment, then it gets depressing, because all that's left will be Undercover, Dirty Work, etc.

Date: May 26, 2020 12:35

SomeGuy
SITS and Rarities are different types of compilations. Rarities purports to be what the title says: a collection of rare songs (mostly b sides), that only fans would buy, the flaw being that it doesn't quite live up to that principle as it has the occasional song on it that is available on a regular album anyway.

SITS seems to be leaning more to a greatest hits type of compilation to a degree, probably aimed at the larger audiences that only want 'the hits' from that period. As such it is indeed a strange set, only essential for the fans because it has, what, three songs on it that weren't available elsewhere.

This is why I bought Rarities, but not SITS (at the time I already owned the single b side and taped the other two relevant songs and today you have these two on dvd and Rarities). I can't see the need to have versions of songs I already have on albums, but have parts of them cut out. Which is why Honk really isn't such a bad compilation as it has the proper, full versions instead of the aborted ones on previous compilations.

Tattoo You may have been compiled from already existing songs, but to me it sure works as a proper new studio album, more so than some other albums I know, I see it a bit like The Stones' own Abbey Road smiling smiley Let's just see if the expanded GHS will really come out, personally I don't see how TY could get the expanded treatment, except with alternate takes and some live stuff maybe.

If I Was A Dancer, When The Whip Comes Down (live), Mannish Boy (live), Everything Is Turning To Gold, Time Waits For No One and Crazy Mama probably let them down, then smiling smiley

No, I think it was planned as an "oddball-compilation", from the title, via the cover art to the selection of songs. Odds and ends, with a few singles thrown in.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 26, 2020 15:15

I always thought Sucking in the Seventies showcased different musical styles of the Rolling Stones. Whereras Rarities was trying to be rare songs for the average fan.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 26, 2020 15:18

As far as a Tattoo You Deluxe...sure, why could they make one. Strictly Memphis could be on it and the other version of Strictly Memphis could be on the Japanese bonus.

Make a list. I'm sure Mick reads this forum. Give him something to work with. Get Chris Kimsey back on the job. He's great at it!

Date: May 26, 2020 15:53

I reckon the reason for this thread has to do with David Fricke's Mick-interview a few years back. Fricke asked whether it would be TY getting the deluxe treatment next, and Mick confirmed that.

Can't find the interview anywhere now...

Date: May 26, 2020 17:07

stone66
A re-release adding outtakes from an album that was itself just mostly outtakes

It was entirely outtakes.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home