Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Have the RS Donald trump allowed to use their music in Tulsa?
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 21, 2020 12:41

Hasn't he been using YCAGWYW for years in spite of not having permission?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 21, 2020 12:54

Please stop the politics.Go state your opinions on Cnn .Thisforum is about music ,not your political biases.Trump is an obnoxious blowhard ,but for my foreign friends on this website,a lot of Americans like myself appreciate he gave America the best economy in 50 years,for blue collarworkers with the lowest unemployment for African Americans in history until the Wuhan virus hit America . Hey,let’s talk about how Hiliary Clinton should have used She Smiled Seeetly on her campaign .Maybe she would have gotten elected if she had.Or better yet,no more political attacks and let’s just talk about how great a song SheSmiled Sweetly is.As good a pop Song as anything the Beatles did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-21 12:56 by Taylor1.

Date: June 21, 2020 13:05

The Stones can sue Trump, albeit as a statement? They are not really interested. It's not their problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-21 13:23 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: June 21, 2020 13:24

Taylor1
Please stop the politics.Go state your opinions on Cnn .Thisforum is about music ,not your political biases.Trump is an obnoxious blowhard ,but for my foreign friends on this website,a lot of Americans like myself appreciate he gave America the best economy in 50 years,for blue collarworkers with the lowest unemployment for African Americans in history until the Wuhan virus hit America . Hey,let’s talk about how Hiliary Clinton should have used She Smiled Seeetly on her campaign .Maybe she would have gotten elected if she had.Or better yet,no more political attacks and let’s just talk about how great a song SheSmiled Sweetly is.As good a pop Song as anything the Beatles did.

@ Taylor:
You tell us
Quote: “ Please stop the politics. Go state your opinions on Cnn .Thisforum is about music ,not your political biases.” (unquote)
to then rant about Trump’s alleged achievements which were suddenly stopped by the “Wuhan virus”.
First: when asking us to talk about music only you should not talk about politics yourself.
Second: you disclose your questionable attitude by using “Wuhan virus” instead of “Corona virus”. Shame on you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-21 13:26 by Ruediger.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 21, 2020 13:28

Time to close this thread.

Date: June 21, 2020 13:29

crholmstrom
Agreed!

Date: June 21, 2020 14:03

Ruediger
crholmstrom
Agreed!
Yes,go to CNN with your biases and stop posting this political stuff about our country

Date: June 21, 2020 14:16

[/quote]Yes,go to CNN with your biases and stop posting this political stuff about our country[/quote]

One last sentence from my side:
I have opened this thread by asking a harmless question.
All of a sudden you began posting "political stuff".
Who has said anything "about our / your country"?
You seem to be extremely thin-skinned when someone says resp writes something which does not fit into your view of life.

Having said this I would like to leave this thread and enjoy my sunday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-21 14:20 by Ruediger.

Date: June 21, 2020 14:34

Ruediger
Yes,go to CNN with your biases and stop posting this political stuff about our country[/quote]

One last sentence from my side:
I have opened this thread by asking a harmless question.
All of a sudden you began posting "political stuff".
Who has said anything "about our / your country"?
You seem to be extremely thin-skinned when someone says resp writes something which does not fit into your view of life.

Having said this I would like to leave this thread and enjoy my sunday.[/quote]Your quote “Misused by Trump” ,is a political attack.Some people may think he may not be misusing it anymore than 0bama used songs during his rallies.You started this thread just to elicit political attacks.You should shut it down.Lets talk about how great ,an underrated guitarist Ron Wood is.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 21, 2020 15:10

I don't get this. The music is public domain. The only thing you could demand from him is that he pays royalties (or other fees), (which I guess you'll have to do).
Of course the Stones can make a public statement that they don't like their songs being played on political rallies. But there is no law against it. Not as far as I know, anyway.

Date: June 21, 2020 15:36

@ Taylor and @ Stoneage:

Music is definitely NOT public domain, but like all other intellectual property under control of its owner, i.e., for example the composer or the interpreter; both can be the same individual.

Therefore, when someone uses another one’s intellectual property for his own purposes without being authorized or licensed, his doing so is infringement or misuse. This is a simple legal evaluation without any political attitude.

Your “recommendation” to go to CNN is in contrast a clear political statement. The same goes for this sentence: “Some people may think he may not be misusing it anymore than 0bama used songs during his rallies.” What Barack Obama may or may not have done has definitely nothing to do with my question and/or any answer hereto, especially, since CNN could probably not answer the question.

Ronnie became part of the RS years after they had published the songs in question. Consequently, I do not see to what extent he should be discussed here.

Finally, for all of you who understand the German language, here is an excerpt from an article of the German magazine "DER SPIEGEL" as of today (June 21, 2020):

"...damit nicht genug: Jetzt hat Trump auch noch Ärger mit der Familie des 2017 gestorbenen Rockstars Tom Petty. Dass bei dem Event dessen Song "I Won't Back Down" zum Einzug gespielt wurde, verärgerte sie gehörig.

"Tom Petty hätte nie gewollt, dass einer seiner Songs für eine Hasskampagne genutzt wird”, heißt es in einem Tweet der Familie auf dem offiziellen Kanal des Musikers. Eine Erlaubnis zum Abspielen des Songs bei einer Wahlkampagne, die zu viele Amerikaner und den Gemeinsinn außen vor lasse, habe es nicht gegeben. "Der verstorbene Tom Petty und seine Familie stehen gegen Rassismus und Diskriminierung jeder Art."

Der von Pettys Töchtern Adria und Annakim Petty sowie seiner Ehefrau Dana Petty und seiner Ex-Frau Jane Petty unterzeichnete Post lässt keinen Zweifel daran, dass sie - ganz im Sinne des Songs "I won't back down" - nicht nachgeben wollen. Die Familie habe sich an das Wahlkampfteam Trumps gewandt und eine Unterlassung verlangt.

Damit wird die Zahl der Stars, auf deren Musik Trump bei seinen Veranstaltungen zurückgreifen kann, erneut kleiner. In der Vergangenheit hatten sich unter anderem bereits die Rolling Stones, Elton John und Adele dagegen gewehrt. Sängerin Rihanna ließ ihre Musik von der Abspiellizenz für seine Wahlkampfauftritte ausnehmen, Ozzy Osbourne protestierte ebenfalls bereits..."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-21 15:41 by Ruediger.

Date: June 21, 2020 15:46

For more information on musicians who do not like their music being played by Trump and his team:

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-21 15:48 by Ruediger.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 21, 2020 15:57

There have been a few threads on this - most got political and were closed. But apparently it is not illegal and neither the Stones nor Tom Petty (or his estate) can stop it. Check here for more, particularly withsssoul’s post Feb 12/16 with relevant industry info attached.

[iorr.org]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 21, 2020 16:10

Taylor 1 if I could block you I would. Repulsive.

Date: June 21, 2020 16:11

SomeTorontoGirl
There have been a few threads on this - most got political and were closed. But apparently it is not illegal and neither the Stones nor Tom Petty (or his estate) can stop it. Check here for more, particularly withsssoul’s post Feb 12/16 with relevant industry info attached.

[iorr.org]

The above highlighted sentence is not correct. Your link leads to the following. (I have highlighted the most important part):

* Thanks to the erudite sssoulful one for this link:
[www.ascap.com]

USING MUSIC IN POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS: What You Should Know
Guidelines prepared by ASCAP

Executive Summary:
Music use requires planning and securing the appropriate permissions. ASCAP has put together this list of Q & As to help you navigate your way to campaign success through the proper use of music.

Q: What is the value of music in a political campaign?
A: Music possesses a unique power to inspire, motivate and energize a campaign. And music has been used in campaigns since the founding of our country . George Washington effectively used "God Save Great Washington" (a parody of "God Save the King" ), Franklin Roosevelt used "Happy Days Are Here Again" (written by ASCAP members Milton Ager and Jack Yellen), Dwight Eisenhower used "They Like Ike" (written by ASCAP founding member Irving Berlin) and President Barack Obama used "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" (written by ASCAP member Stevie Wonder) just to name a few of the Presidential campaign success stories.

Q: What is the issue and why are music use guidelines important?
A: It has become increasingly significant for political candidates in the public spotlight to conduct their campaigns within the copyright law. Recent controversy over unauthorized music use has created unwanted negative publicity for candidates that want to do the right thing but many times require clarification on the legal obligations relating to music use. Knowing these guidelines is good for all involved .

Q: If a campaign wants to use a song in a campaign commercial, what permissions does it need?
A: This kind of use may involve rights such as synchronization of music with video and the possible use of the master sound recording. The campaign will need to contact the song's publisher and possibly the artist's record label to negotiate the appropriate licenses with them. And remember, campaign videos containing music that are posted on the Internet also require these licenses. Once the commercial has been produced, the TV and radio stations, and any web sites that transmit the commercial must hold a public performance license.

Q: What is ASCAP and what is its role?
A: ASCAP is the country 's first and largest performing right organization , representing over 10 million musical works from over 525,000 songwriters and composers , and by extension , their music publishers. ASCAP represents the non-exclusive public performance right for these works , responsible for licensing their public performance on radio, television, cable, satellite, the Internet, on mobile devices and in venues and establishments . We track the use of music, identify the content owners and distribute the appropriate royalties. ASCAP is a not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to protecting our members' rights and obtaining fair compensation for the public performance of their copyrighted musical works .
ASCAP provides an important income stream for members and allows music users an efficient and effective wa y to obtain the necessary permission to perform music for their business or their other public communication needs.

Q: What licenses does a campaign need to play music at campaign events?
A: First, while many venues have proper "public performance" licenses, as a general rule the licenses for convention centers, arenas and hotels exclude music use during conventions, expositions and campaign events. If a campaign is holding many events at dozens of different venues, it may be easier for the campaign itself to obtain a public performance license from ASCAP (and possibly one or both of the other two U.S. performing right organizations if the music is licensed through one of them) . This would guarantee that, no matter where you have a campaign stop, it would be in compliance with copyright law.

Q: If the campaign events are properly licensed, can the campaign still be criticized or even sued by an artist for playing his or her song at an event?

A: Yes. If an artist does not want his or her music to be associated with the campaign , he or she may be able to take legal action even if the campaign has the appropriate copyright licenses.
While the campaign would be in compliance with copyright law, it could potentially be in violation of other laws. Specifically , the campaign could be liable under any of the following claims:

"Right of Publicity", which in many states provides image protection for famous people or artists.
The "Lanham Act", which covers the confusion or dilution of a trademark (such as a band or artist name) through its unauthorized use.

"False Endorsement" where use of the artist's identifying work implies that the artist supports a product or candidate.

As a general rule, a campaign should be aware that, in most cases, the more closely a song is tied to the "image" or message of the campaign , the more likely it is that the recording artist or songwriter of the song could object to the song's usage in the campaign.

Q: How can the campaign protect itself against these other claims?
A: If a campaign wants to eliminate any of these claims, particularly if the campaign wants to use a song as its theme, they should contact the management for the artists and/or songwriters of the songs in question and obtain their permission. In addition to permission from management, a separate negotiated license maybe required by the publisher of the composition , and if used, the record label that controls the master recording.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 21, 2020 16:19

Taylor1

'Please stop the politics' - and then you proceed to go on a political rant.

Quality bit of irony there.

The OP was a Stones-related question which made no political opinion whatsoever. The term 'misused' is correct as they've never authorised it's use.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-21 16:22 by Gazza.

advice...
Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: June 22, 2020 03:48

Please, I'm begging The Rolling Stones Inc. Don't get involved in politics. I've loved the band for over 40 years! Why? Because they are magic. So let's leave it at that. Please do not tear down what you have worked so hard for all your life...

Re: advice...
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 22, 2020 04:00

There was some rather recent use of at least one RS song that was reportedly totally unauthorized, and evidently that party has been using the song against the wishes of the RS for some time. We need to avoid the big "P" word here, but I think you can figure it out from there. Its just kind of ironic some of the lyrics as they apply to the situation. But that's how life has been in the Bizarro world lately.

jb

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 22, 2020 04:03

I agree. Stay out of politics, don't get tainted.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 22, 2020 05:44

Staying out of politics all together is a political statement in and of itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-22 05:47 by ryanpow.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 22, 2020 05:49

In the end everything can be seen as politics.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 22, 2020 06:32

They did get involved when YCAGWYW was played at certain political rallys against the band's wishes, including just yesterday. Tom Petty's estate also requested his song Won't Back Down not be played.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 22, 2020 07:23

DGA35
They did get involved when YCAGWYW was played at certain political rallys against the band's wishes, including just yesterday. Tom Petty's estate also requested his song Won't Back Down not be played.

I read that Petty's estate issued a legal instrument called a "Cease & Desist"

Follow up will be interesting.

If it is IGNORED and/or somehow not enforced, then there's little The Rolling Stones could do other than join in funding a class action.

If it is ENFORCED, then The Rolling Stones will obviously be judged by their subsequent actions (or inactions).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 22, 2020 09:49

sonyzzz
Please, I'm begging The Rolling Stones Inc. Don't get involved in politics. I've loved the band for over 40 years! Why? Because they are magic. So let's leave it at that. Please do not tear down what you have worked so hard for all your life...

Why do you start this again, when you know that all previous threads have been closed?

Date: June 22, 2020 10:15

Be fair warned:

Yesterday I started a similar thread by asking a harmless question. The thread soon began to be political and was consequently closed.

Does anyone think Bjornulf is not watching?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 22, 2020 11:42

Yes, keep out of politics! Don´t mention Trump. Or the war.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: June 22, 2020 12:21

"The police in New York City
They chased a boy right through the park
And in a case of mistaken identity
The put a bullet through his heart"

Stones have always been political.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 22, 2020 12:27

Please do not start any political threads on IORR. I am not stupid, you know. If it walks like a duck, and it sounds like a duck, it is probably a duck.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home