Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIP Naggo "Heptones" Morris
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 19, 2020 19:14

Happening far too often these days as our musical heroes age, Rise In Power Naggo Morris, solo artist and one time stand in for Leroy Sibbles in the Heptones, when Leroy left the island for Canada, Naggo Morris was recruited to fill his shoes and they scored their one huge hit, Book of Rules, without leader and founder Sibbles.

Morris had a number of other great songs away from the Heptones but will always be remembered for his part in the group dynamic and keeping the name alive while Leroy lived in Toronto.

I know Leroy pretty well, helped him reissue a number of his solo albums in recent years, and he always spoke highly of his replacement in the Heptones, never once being jealous of the success they had without him, and crediting Naggo for that success. Never met Naggo Morris myself but know through my friendship with Leroy and fellow Heptone Earl Morgan just what a talent he was and a nice person to boot.

Aside from his time in the Heptones, Morris had a very influential song as a solo artist called "Flour Power" which told the story of numerous people being poisoned by tainted flour with the famous line: flour dumpling kill off a man.

He also was a vocalist with the Royals after a time with the Morwells, who also brought to the spotlight Eric "bingi bunny" Lamont (vocalist and rhythm guitarist for Roots Radics) and Blacka Morwell (also an early member of the outfits that gave birth to Radics), voicing big hits for both outfits.

He worked with producers Coxsone Dodd at Studio One, with Prince Tony Robinson and Tommy Cowan on their various labels, with Duke Reid at Treasure Isle and also and perhaps most famously with Joe Gibbs where he had a big local hit with Su Su Pon Rasta among others. Morris is also remembered for working with the best vocalists on the island including Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Bob Andy and Lloyd Parkes and his We the People Band.

Naggo Morris obituary

We will miss you Naggo. Another great, yet little known outside the reggae community, talent gone.

jb

Re: RIP Naggo "Heptones" Morris
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 20, 2020 02:43

It’s “Party Time” in heaven. One of my favourite reggae bands.

RIP

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 20, 2020 03:49

Thanks for that jb ....
Attempting to replace Sibbles woulda been a massive task ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: May 21, 2020 03:33

video: [www.youtube.com]

Book of Rules... A great song!

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: May 21, 2020 17:35

[youtu.be]

Book of rules, extended version with horns intro, such a beautiful song and vocal harmonies.

[youtu.be] , Leroy and Barry sharing the mic

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 21, 2020 23:08

yeah I think its Barry Llewellyn singing lead on Book of Rules, though Naggo was in the trio at that time.

heres something I had to do with

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home