Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Album And Single Mixes And Edits
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 19, 2020 19:08

JordyLicks96 has some great music on his YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-HlpY2Zjitl4SogN-U0unw) which offers some insight on how the Stones have edited songs for their albums (most of their songs seem to be cut down) and singles.

The mix for She's So Cold is extremely clever, how a couple of guitars just quietly appear and disappear. Has anyone ever heard an unedited version of it? Is there one?

Love Is Strong, the little break, is longer in the studio, with an odd almost time shift occurring, yet the LP version is seamless.

The worst editing job of a studio recording is Everything Is Turning To Gold (we all know the worst live one, which is hilarious because for years it was Brown Sugar on LOVE YOU LIVE but Rocks Off on LIVE LICKS took care of that).

Re: Album And Single Mixes And Edits
Date: May 19, 2020 19:42

There have been regional edits (Miss You in North America is the LP version, in the UK it was an edit - no saxophone) and plenty of radio edits (Mixed Emotions, Highwire, Hot Stuff etc) but very few actual different single mixes.

Plundered My Soul had two different mixes.

There are the single remixes by Bob Clearmountain of Love Is Strong and Out Of Tears, the Don Was edit of Out Of Tears, the Scott Litt mix of I Go Wild and the whoever it is remix of Doom And Gloom.

Any others? As far as I know that's all there is.

Date: May 19, 2020 22:02

Both If I Was A Dancer and Dance instrumental promo single have different mixes than the ER-version.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 19, 2020 23:02

Appreciate this a lot GasLight!! smileys with beer

I know One Hit (To the Body) has a particular single edit and a slightly different mix in a few spots. I believe it's the one they used for the music video.

Brown Sugar and Tumbling Dice have very rare mono mixes which were only released on the 45 singles. Tumbling Dice in particular has very clear vocals and some of the backing vocals in the latter part of the song are edited in differently. It's very superior to the version we all know from EXILE.

Right now, I'm actually trying to collect all of the 45's.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 20, 2020 06:15

JordyLicks96
Appreciate this a lot GasLight!! smileys with beer

I know One Hit (To the Body) has a particular single edit and a slightly different mix in a few spots. I believe it's the one they used for the music video.

Brown Sugar and Tumbling Dice have very rare mono mixes which were only released on the 45 singles. Tumbling Dice in particular has very clear vocals and some of the backing vocals in the latter part of the song are edited in differently. It's very superior to the version we all know from EXILE.

Right now, I'm actually trying to collect all of the 45's.

There are a bunch of other unique and incredibly rare versions of songs on 45s, including:

Street Fighting Man - very 1st 45 release - different mix
Rocks Off - UK 45 test press - true and unique Mono mix - not a fold-down
Happy - same as Rocks Off
Shine A Light - ditto
All Down the Line - ditto
All Down the Line - unique US 45 version
Sway - different US 45 mix
Everybody Needs Somebody to Love - longer version on UK 45
Before They Make Me Run - different mix on US promo 45
We Love You - 3:10 edited US promo 45
You Can't Always Get What You Want - US 45 version
Jumping Jack Flash - Japanese 4-track various artists 1968 EP with spoken intro by Mick
C%$#sucker Blues - rare release on 1-sided 45 in German Box Set

These are the quick ones off the top of my head, but there are many, many more.

Over the past 45 years, I have collected all of them on vinyl. Good luck and don't be in a hurry!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: May 20, 2020 08:31

The 8-track Miss You is different from the album and edit versions we know so well - it almost sounds more like the 12" remix shortened. Think that's possible?

I need to listen to that one, Shattered and BTMMR all the way through, get 'em on my player.

Date: May 20, 2020 08:41

GasLightStreet
The 8-track Miss You is different from the album and edit versions we know so well - it almost sounds more like the 12" remix shortened. Think that's possible?

I need to listen to that one, Shattered and BTMMR all the way through, get 'em on my player.

Funny enough, every edit and/or mix of Miss You stems from one complete, long version of the song, which I've posted on my channel:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 21, 2020 14:33

JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet

Funny enough, every edit and/or mix of Miss You stems from one complete, long version of the song, which I've posted on my channel:

[www.youtube.com]

The 8-Track Miss You comes from Miss You #2 like all of the other official releases of Miss You. This version was a Chris Kimsey extend version of the song which is true to the original recording Miss You #2.

Other versions of the song had lead guitar taken out of the beginning of the song and used as solos elsewhere in the song. Bob Clearmountain chopped-up the song and put it back together in a different order which is beyond brilliant.

Chris Kimsey's 8-Track offering and the Rarities Miss You follow the original Miss You #2 without the edits that showed-up on the album, single and longer versions.

Also, the Rarities Miss You isn't an edited version of a long Miss You. It's a different mix.

photo by Ken Regan

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-21 17:50 by exilestones.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 21, 2020 14:49

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96 has some great music on his YouTube channel ...

He sure does! He posted something a few days ago and I was checking out a lot of the other stuff he has on there.

Date: May 21, 2020 14:52

stonesstein

There are a bunch of other unique and incredibly rare versions of songs on 45s, including:

Shine A Light - ditto
Jumping Jack Flash - Japanese 4-track various artists 1968 EP with spoken intro by Mick

Over the past 45 years, I have collected all of them on vinyl. Good luck and don't be in a hurry!

I never recall reading about the Exile tracks before:

Shine A Light - ditto

JordyLicks, I hope you have these posted!!

Date: May 21, 2020 19:34

LeonidP
GasLightStreet

He sure does! He posted something a few days ago and I was checking out a lot of the other stuff he has on there.

It seems that every time I look at it there's more.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2020 20:12

this is an interesting threadthumbs up

Date: May 21, 2020 20:38

Certainly need to post as many of the songs as possible. There are some mentioned on the 45s that I've never heard.

Date: May 21, 2020 21:03

Listen to the official release, you'll notice where the edits are - they're almost glaring. That's mainly because of the cymbals. Here's the full length bottom.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 21, 2020 21:09

Tell Me I [2´52] totally different take on the first UK LP (1a and 2a matrix on side 2)
Brown Sugar III [3´46] totally different mix on the first issues of Hot Rocks US LP (first edition, with 18/11/71 Shelley matrix on side 4)
Wild Horses IV [5´41] totally different mix on the first issues of Hot Rocks US LP (first edition, with 18/11/71 Shelley matrix on side 4)
Tell Me Baby, How Many Times [1´54] on the official German 4LP Box "Rest Of The Best"
Tell Me III [4´06] long version, not faded early- on some first generation CDs only
Before They Make Me Run IV [3´16], different US 7" promo mix
Street Fighting Man different take on some 7" (G, IT)
Time Waits For No One on the LP Time Waits For No One a few seconds longer
Honest I Do recorded on the Stripped sessions, on Hope Floats soundtrack
Gimme Shelter (live 1989) food benefit 7" single (backside with Gimme Shelter (by New Model Army+Tom Jones
Dance instrumental 4:40 released on If I Was a Dancer (1981, 12” promo).
Out Of Control [Don Was live Remix] (1998 US promo CD)
Exile On Main St. Blues on the NME flexi disc
Miss You I different US 8-track mix
Beast Of Burden I different US 8-track mix
Shattered I different US 8-track mix

Date: May 21, 2020 21:45

TooTough
Tell Me I [2´52] totally different take on the first UK LP (1a and 2a matrix on side 2)
Brown Sugar III [3´46] totally different mix on the first issues of Hot Rocks US LP (first edition, with 18/11/71 Shelley matrix on side 4)
Wild Horses IV [5´41] totally different mix on the first issues of Hot Rocks US LP (first edition, with 18/11/71 Shelley matrix on side 4)
Tell Me Baby, How Many Times [1´54] on the official German 4LP Box "Rest Of The Best"
Tell Me III [4´06] long version, not faded early- on some first generation CDs only
Before They Make Me Run IV [3´16], different US 7" promo mix
Street Fighting Man different take on some 7" (G, IT)
Time Waits For No One on the LP Time Waits For No One a few seconds longer
Honest I Do recorded on the Stripped sessions, on Hope Floats soundtrack
Gimme Shelter (live 1989) food benefit 7" single (backside with Gimme Shelter (by New Model Army+Tom Jones
Dance instrumental 4:40 released on If I Was a Dancer (1981, 12” promo).
Out Of Control [Don Was live Remix] (1998 US promo CD)
Exile On Main St. Blues on the NME flexi disc

Honest I Do, which is incredible, is just a STRIPPED leftover.

Supposedly Far Away Eyes is different on the 8-track but I've never seen it online.

This is hilarious, this 8-track edit of Shattered - you can hear the pedal steel suddenly appear at the end of the bridge because they cut it in half!

Date: May 21, 2020 22:31

TooTough

There's also an 8-track Black & Blue track w/ a different mix, or at least a different edit. I don't think anyone has ever posted it. Cherry Oh Baby, I think it is (someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong).

I actually started out w/ 8-Tracks, and many years ago, when I first realized the 8-tracks had different mixes, I ripped mine from Some Girls. Unfortunately it was a few years later when I read about the Black & Blue track, and by then my 8-track player no longer worked (not sure if I saved that Black & Blue 8-track album).

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 21, 2020 22:55

8 track tapes were often edited to fit the time constraints (something only 8 track owners would understand I think). This was often done at the tape facility hired to produce the 8 tracks, and sometimes it involved taking a copy of the record they just bought at Tower Records and editing down a taped copy of it to fit more precisely the time left on a "side" of the 8 track media. Totally goofy but common practice; I knew someone who worked at a plant in NY a long time ago who told me stories about that stuff.

Different mixes though, that's a different story. For instance that mix of Shattered above, beyond the ham fisted edits, I don't believe I have ever heard it sound like that, mixed like that. Had no idea there were different versions or different mixes hiding on that obscure and totally obsolete format. That crap was obsolete in the early 70s for Gods sake, no one ever thought to look at 8 tracks as a source for obscure mixes.

I knew about the 7"s as I have been collecting them and the later 12"s since the 60s. Many of the "specials" there I attribute to the common practice of mixing 7"s to mono with the idea they were the stuff of DJs and radio stations, and most car systems in the height of the 7" were one speaker dashboard affairs. So the 7"s were mixed for maximum effect on that sort of system, and generally in true mono. I always figured that's why a 7" sounded different than the same album cut, even if the exact time stated on the label (often incorrect).

I am going to have to dig into my singles now and check out some vs that list above.

jb

Date: May 21, 2020 23:03

jbwelda
Different mixes though, that's a different story. For instance that mix of Shattered above, beyond the ham fisted edits, I don't believe I have ever heard it sound like that, mixed like that.

Sounds like a mono mix. Very strange.

Date: May 21, 2020 23:05

LeonidP
stonesstein

Shine A Light - ditto

I never recall reading about the Exile tracks before:

Shine A Light - ditto

JordyLicks, I hope you have these posted!!

I'm actually hearing about these for the first time now!! If I'm ever able to find them I'll definitely post them!!

Date: May 21, 2020 23:07

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

I totally appreciate everyone watching the material I post on the channel!! I can't take credit for my videos though. Much of the stuff I post I get from here at IORR!! I love posting rare stuff for everyone to enjoy!! smileys with beer

Date: May 22, 2020 05:34

GasLightStreet
jbwelda
Different mixes though, that's a different story. For instance that mix of Shattered above, beyond the ham fisted edits, I don't believe I have ever heard it sound like that, mixed like that.

Sounds like a mono mix. Very strange.

I actually knew the 8-track mixes best as that is what I owned and played about 14,000 times. I remember the first time I realized it, my friend was over and I was playing the 8-track, and he noticed Shattered didn't sound right, it was missing a complete section -- then he played me it from his cassette copy and I was shocked!

Even then, I didn't know about Miss You until I read it on this board, many years later.

Beast of Burden is longer (better, imo, extra verses) on 8-track, when I upgraded to Vinyl I was extremely annoyed listening to the shorter version. The 8-track version (or very similar to it) was included when I bought Accidents Will Happen, so I was very glad to have it again as I knew it.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 22, 2020 06:26

So this 8 track version of BoB is on the Accidents Will Happen set? I have the vinyl from when it came out, I am going to check that out. Extra verses? Wow...never heard of that. On an 8 track tape at that.

jb

Date: May 22, 2020 12:21

jbwelda
So this 8 track version of BoB is on the Accidents Will Happen set? I have the vinyl from when it came out, I am going to check that out. Extra verses? Wow...never heard of that. On an 8 track tape at that.

jb

yes, 3 extra lines,
Near the end ... I just played both to get it right.

Original vinyl version, w/ 8-track version added in, near the end of the track:

I'll never be your beast of burden
never, never, never, never
never never never be

I've walked for miles
My feet are hurtin'
All I want is you to make love to me
I don't need no beast of burden
I need no fussin'
I need no nursin'
------------------- (3 added lines from 8-track version, not on vinyl)
All I want is you to make love to me
-------------------- (and back to vinyl version)

never never never be

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-22 12:25 by LeonidP.

Date: May 22, 2020 12:33

So again, 8-tracks are what I played when I first got into the Stones, so I only knew that version.

To this day, the vinyl version, when jumping from the "nursing" line right into the "never, never ...":

I need no nursin'

never sounds right to me, it is awkward to hear it that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-22 12:33 by LeonidP.

Date: May 22, 2020 16:42

JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

I totally appreciate everyone watching the material I post on the channel!! I can't take credit for my videos though. Much of the stuff I post I get from here at IORR!! I love posting rare stuff for everyone to enjoy!! smileys with beer

You're creating a library. Maybe eventually you'll have everything that exists on YouTube of any studio Stones that's different edits, working mixes, different mixes, true remixes, unfinished ie outtakes, finished but not released, early takes, isolated tracks - all in one place.

Date: May 22, 2020 16:48

LeonidP
So again, 8-tracks are what I played when I first got into the Stones, so I only knew that version.

To this day, the vinyl version, when jumping from the "nursing" line right into the "never, never ...":

I need no nursin'

never sounds right to me, it is awkward to hear it that way.

Before I got it on CD, I'd listen to UNDERCOVER quite often and one of the songs got damaged and it would skip. I got used to that. When I got the CD edition I kept wondering what was wrong...

Some edit versions of a song can be too short, like Crazy Mama or Emotional Rescue, but the edit for Beast Of Burden is a great edit, really - it still retains the song. I knew of it from SUCKING IN THE 70S, with that edit of BOB and Fool To Cry, Hot Stuff and Time Waits For No One are good edits.

Date: May 22, 2020 17:47

exilestones
JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

The 8-Track Miss You comes from Miss You #2 like all of the other official releases of Miss You. This version was a Chris Kimsey extend version of the song which is true to the original recording Miss You #2.

Other versions of the song had lead guitar taken out of the beginning of the song and used as solos elsewhere in the song. Bob Clearmountain chopped-up the song and put it back together in a different order which is beyond brilliant.

Chris Kimsey's 8-Track offering and the Rarities Miss You follow the original Miss You #2 without the edits that showed-up on the album, single and longer versions.

Also, the Rarities Miss You isn't an edited version of a long Miss You. It's a different mix.

photo by Ken Regan

[www.youtube.com]

The Rarities-version is also sped up, hence it's not in the key of A.

Date: May 23, 2020 23:48

DandelionPowderman
exilestones
JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I noticed that. How annoying!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 24, 2020 00:44

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
I noticed that. How annoying!

It's perfectly understandable. Otherwise it wouldn't be a rarity. Rolling Stones think about everything

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home