Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Ken Osmond a-k-a Eddie Haskell
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 18, 2020 23:51

Just passed. His claim to fame was his character on the "Leave It To Beaver" show. If you are of a certain generation you watched this.

Re: OT: RIP Ken Osmond a-k-a Eddie Haskell
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 19, 2020 00:11

Oh man...Eddie Haskell...a classic character....grew up watching all the reruns...

RIP Ken Osmond

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 19, 2020 01:59

Hairball
Oh man...Eddie Haskell...a classic character....grew up watching all the reruns...

RIP Ken Osmond

Good memories. RIP.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 19, 2020 02:55

"I will greatly miss my lifelong friend Ken Osmond who I have known for over 63 years. I have always said that he was the best actor on our show because in real life his personality was so opposite of the character that he so briliantly portrayed. RIP dear friend. #kenosmond"
[twitter.com]

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: May 19, 2020 03:16

Just like Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker in the 1970s, Ken Osmond's Eddie Haskell became iconic in the 1950s/early 60s -- if someone was trying to put one over on you with behavior that was too good to be true, then the person was "pulling an Eddie Haskell".

The character was notable -- and cool -- because he was the "bad boy" in a show that was really all about the "good boy", Beaver Cleaver. Yet the parents would never catch on to his true nature, especially the ever-trusting Mrs. June Cleaver. Secretly, you were always rooting for Eddie Haskell.

I was born in 1966, but all through the 70s Leave It To Beaver played in syndication, so it was also a part of the growing up shows for my generation as well.

Ironically, in real life Ken Osmond became a police officer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-19 05:30 by stone66.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 19, 2020 06:58

He was a police officer, stone66, and was once actually shot during a car chase.

It's funny, I just re-watched all the episodes about 6 months ago, the show was brilliant mainly for 2 characters (though I love all the characters) ... Eddie Haskell and Larry Mondello, both the friends of Wally & Beaver.

Anyway I did a search on all characters too at that time, that's how I found the info on Ken Osmond being a police officer.

Side note: How about Barbara Billingsley in Airplane! She speaks "jive"!!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 19, 2020 09:05

stone66

The character was notable -- and cool -- because he was the "bad boy" in a show that was really all about the "good boy", Beaver Cleaver. Yet the parents would never catch on to his true nature, especially the ever-trusting Mrs. June Cleaver. Secretly, you were always rooting for Eddie Haskell.

I think you need to re-watch a few episodes.

The Cleavers were always wise to Eddie's suck-up nice guy act in front of them. He was tolerated because he was a friend of Wally's.

As far as him being "cool," well I just think you're not getting it. Eddie was always a caustic bully to the Beav, and a lying, insincere weasel to grown ups. Eddie was cut down to size in many an episode where his "bad boy" stance was revealed as insecure posing.

That was a really well written show. People now get hung up on the 50's TV Family aspects of it, but it was very real in showing some of the day-to-day problems of a little kid, while treating those characters with respect by not making the problems that were very serious to them something to ridicule.

When I was growing up, it seemed like we all knew someone who was an "Eddie Haskell" character. I think that is why he resonated with so many people.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: May 19, 2020 11:20

LeonidP
He was a police officer, stone66, and was once actually shot during a car chase.

It's funny, I just re-watched all the episodes about 6 months ago, the show was brilliant mainly for 2 characters (though I love all the characters) ... Eddie Haskell and Larry Mondello, both the friends of Wally & Beaver.

Anyway I did a search on all characters too at that time, that's how I found the info on Ken Osmond being a police officer.

No love for Lumpy Rutherford!?!?!?!

Side note: I showed that clip to my girlfriend over the weekend (before Ken's death) to try to explain to her what jive was.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 19, 2020 16:20

ChrisL
LeonidP

No love for Lumpy Rutherford!?!?!?!

Side note: I showed that clip to my girlfriend over the weekend (before Ken's death) to try to explain to her what jive was.

Yes, Lumpy is great too! And his "daddy", that same dude that was in the Dick Van Dyke show. They just weren't on the same level as Eddie Haskell / Larry Mondello.

Lumpy is actually the Bill Wyman of the show, he wrote a book, i believe, and discusses sleeping w/ hundreds (thousands?) of women.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 19, 2020 17:21

Ah, what a wonderful world in which the Cleavers, Rutherfords, and Haskells lived.

No war, poverty, coronavirus, etc.

Loved Beaver getting caught in the cup on the billboard.

Date: May 19, 2020 17:22

Dirtiest thing ever said on TV -

June: "Ward, don't you think you were a little rough on the beaver last night?"

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 19, 2020 17:30

Elmo Lewis

Lol.
A female newscaster here in Seattle wins the local edition for me.
A snowstorm was forecast the night before that didn't materialize, and in typical newsroom banter she tosses it to the weatherman and says..
"So.. Harry, what happened to the six inches you promised me last night?" Newsroom erupts.

Date: May 19, 2020 19:06

MisterDDDD
Elmo Lewis

Lol.
A female newscaster here in Seattle wins the local edition for me.
A snowstorm was forecast the night before that didn't materialize, and in typical newsroom banter she tosses it to the weatherman and says..
"So.. Harry, what happened to the six inches you promised me last night?" Newsroom erupts.

grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1518
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home