Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Is Crosseyed Heart better than the latest Stones albums?
Posted by: stillife ()
Date: May 17, 2020 20:19

In the latest Stones albums there are some good songs but in many of them I think there is a big influence of Mick Jagger solo kind of songs and a decrease of quality. Crosseyed Heart seems to me a solid work with an overall quality that I don`t find in the latest Stones albums. What do you think?

Re: Is Crosseyed Heart better than the latest Stones albums?
Posted by: witterings ()
Date: May 17, 2020 20:38

I could agree to that in a certain way.

It`s nice to be here, .....

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 17, 2020 22:01

Ok,
the last real stones-album was ABB. CH is miles better. B2B was quite good but very different, I can't compare.
VL is a bit better in my opinion.
I don't think, it makes much sense in going back to the 80s...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 17, 2020 22:08

Don't think so. I liked Crosseyed Cat though.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: May 17, 2020 22:15

I definately don't think so. Crosseyed Heart was a huge disappointment. By far the weakest solo effort by a Glimmer twin.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: May 17, 2020 22:27

Trouble is a great song. I, personally, love CH. It's a bit better than ABB, but they're hard to compare.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 17, 2020 22:32

No way is it better than Voodoo Lounge or Bridges.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 17, 2020 22:40

That's a teaser ...
Is John Lennon's Imagine better than the Beatles' Sergeant Pepper?
It's different for sure. John was not The Beatles, Keith is not The Rolling Stones.
Okay, I do enjoy most of the odd suitable songs the band has chosen to have Keith as lead singer, but I don't enjoy 12 Keith songs in a row, no matter how the instrumental parts of the songs work. I love Keith's numorous great guitar contributions to the Stones's sound, but when it comes to Mick, blues harp.
smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 17, 2020 22:50

CROSSEYED HEART is miles above the latest Stones albums: it feels like a coherent body of work. VOODOO LOUNGE is the closest in terms of feel, where are BRIDGES TO BABYLON is closest in terms of difference. A BIGGER BANG is not comparable since it's carpet bomb after carpet bomb, with Laugh I Nearly Died being the only exception (Let Me Down Slow and Biggest Mistake are pretty damn good but still lack dynamics).

I like all of those albums yet I don't listen to VL at all except for Love Is Strong, Out Of Tears and I Go Wild; BTB is select tracks as well, mostly Keith's 3 songs; weirdly enough I listen to a decent amount of ABB tracks more than anything, and certainly the most post-UNDERCOVER.

But Keith's newest solo album is miles above DIRTY WORK - A BIGGER BANG. I won't compare BLUE AND LONESOME because that's such a specific album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 17, 2020 23:26

Crosseyed Heart is the winner.thumbs up
A Bigger Bang, Bridges, Voodoo, Steel Wheels, Dirty Work, and Undercover all have a couple decent tunes, but overall the albums are incohesive and there are some true stinkers on all of them.
Crosseyed Heart on the other hand is near perfect as far as consistency and flow. Like reading a book from start to finish without being able to put it down, and not one of the songs can be skipped
Blue and Lonesome is nice and cohesive, yet it's all average covers and Keith doesn't sing any of the songs which was a bad decision imo. Gotta go with Crosseyed Heart no matter how you look at it.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 17, 2020 23:34

In my opinion Crosseyed Heart is a collage, Richards played some riffs and licks and sang a little. His friends took those snippets ad turned it into an album with nice moments, but it is fa from being great.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 18, 2020 00:08

Bill Wyman's last solo album, Back to Basics, is better than Crosseyed and ABB. The single, 'What and How and If and When and Why', is more coherent than anything on those two albums, excepting maybe 'Rough Justice'.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 18, 2020 00:42

I vote for CH! smiling smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 18, 2020 01:13

I prefer DIRTY WORK to CROSSEYED HEART.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 18, 2020 03:20

of course it is

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 18, 2020 04:09

windmelody
In my opinion Crosseyed Heart is a collage, Richards played some riffs and licks and sang a little. His friends took those snippets ad turned it into an album with nice moments, but it is fa from being great.

Crosseyed Heart is a bunch of songs, not really an 'album.' A Bigger Bang is an album where the songs fit together well.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 18, 2020 07:49

exilestones
windmelody

Crosseyed Heart is a bunch of songs, not really an 'album.' A Bigger Bang is an album where the songs fit together well.

Oh. You're one of THOSE.

Next thing you'll be saying is TATTOO YOU is a "compilation".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2020 07:54

No

Date: May 18, 2020 07:58

Stop the Insanity

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 18, 2020 08:42

dont know about insanity, I know about what records I put (from time to time) on my turntable and those that I don't (almost ever). Hairball took the comparison back to Undercover which is far too stretched for me. Love Undercover (with its ups and downs, it is a lively album with no stinkers, some fillers and a bunch of great tunes). For the rest I find CH second only to TIC as a whole cohesive album in the last 30 years of "Rolling stones related" releases. It has one or two to many "Keith's ballads"but nothing that makes me skip a song. And a couple of the ballads in there (notably: Robbed blind and Just a gift) are just beautiful. The same I can't say of VL and B2B, not to speak of ABB.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 18, 2020 08:54

You're right maumau, I got a bit carried away - on second thought Undercover is a great album and I'd rank it at least equal to Crosseyed Heart - possibly even a notch above.
That said, at the time of it's release Undercover seemed a step down from Tattoo You as far as quality imo, but with hindsight they as a band haven't had an album as good as that ever since.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-18 08:57 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 18, 2020 09:01

Nothing on X-Eyed matches the sheer
ferocity and attack of It Wont Be Long ....

Nothing on X-Eyed comes anywhere near Hoo Doo Blues ...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 18, 2020 09:02

It's the best album since Exile, or something.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 18, 2020 09:03

....since sliced bread ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: May 18, 2020 09:49

I think that CH maintains a level of quality that I don`t find in recent Stones albums. I never liked You Got me Rocking, I go Wild, Suck on the Jugula, Gunface, Might as Well Get Juiced and so son. These are songs that would fit better a Jagger solo album than a Stones one. I think since SW there are many songs where is used the same formula by Jagger and I find CH a more genuine and deep work. It might be weird but I consider that the best Stones tune since SW is Thru and Thru.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: May 18, 2020 10:14

Especially the vinyl version of Crosseyed Heart is much better than any album the Stones released since Steel Wheels.

Mick is rock, Keith is roll. The roll is missed deeply on ABB (really poor production) and partly on B2B. More roll on Voodoo Lounge, but I didn't like it though - too much songs, too much fillers, poor songwriting.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: May 18, 2020 10:45

It is, IMHO, a frickin' fantastic album.

Date: May 18, 2020 10:46

CH is a consistent body of work, has a consistent album sound and a flow that's sorely missed on some of the Stones's latter-day albums, imo.

It's not every fan's cup of tea, obviously, it's a matter of taste.

Apart from Blue And Lonesome, the Stones haven't come up with that sound since some of the tracks on Steel Wheels, imo.

When that is said, we can always discuss what "better" means. We have tracks like How Can I Stop, Continental Drift, Almost Hear You Sigh, Love Is Strong, The Worst, Slipping Away, Anybody Seen My Baby, Hoodoo Blues, Terrifying and Laugh, I Nearly Died.

All excellent tracks and also probably on a higher level than most of CH. However, the Stones have struggled with producing many tracks of this quality on their latter-day albums.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 18, 2020 11:00

To answer the question: yes.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 18, 2020 11:02

Hairball
Crosseyed Heart is the winner.thumbs up
A Bigger Bang, Bridges, Voodoo, Steel Wheels, Dirty Work, and Undercover all have a couple decent tunes, but overall the albums are incohesive and there are some true stinkers on all of them.
Crosseyed Heart on the other hand is near perfect as far as consistency and flow. Like reading a book from start to finish without being able to put it down, and not one of the songs can be skipped
Blue and Lonesome is nice and cohesive, yet it's all average covers and Keith doesn't sing any of the songs which was a bad decision imo. Gotta go with Crosseyed Heart no matter how you look at it.

I skip Blues In The Morning, but for the rest I agree.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home