Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bono fan letter to Stones
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 19, 2020 00:02

Hairball
Their first few albums were good, saw them at US 83 Festival and they were fantastic, their last good song was In Gods Country in '87 (still have 12" single).
Not long after that they began to suck, then they eventually turned into complete crap, can't listen to them anymore, end of story.

that's it

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 19, 2020 00:06

treaclefingers
lovely homage...not sure why such disdain. I like U2 but don't feel the need to see them in concert again, and last good album was All That You Can't Leave Behind which was excellent.

My sentiments exactly. Bono seems like a genuine good guy to me.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 19, 2020 03:52

i loved early u2, boy, october, war, unforgettable fire, under a blood red sky. saw them live in 1987 but they didnt do a lot of the early stuff, my love for u2 got less and less after that, was getting more into the stones too and have never really had much time for u2 after 1991, singles sucked, albums were much weaker something was missing and setlists in the later years had very little of the early u2 songs when they were good.

u2 will always be considered a top band though and important in the music industry, at one point i thought nobody was better but now i would place u2 about 10th behind the stones, pink floyd, the doors, hendrix, bowie, the who, and several others.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 19, 2020 03:53

WOW! Haters! I think U2 is one of the GREAT bands of rock and roll. While, like many here, I am hardly enamored with all of their LPs. However, I will put Achtung, Baby up against any rock and roll LP of the last 40 years and Under Blood Red Sky up against any live LP within the last 40, too. They are Great records that any band short of one like the Stones would kill to have released.

Live, I saw them 2x on Achtung, Baby tour in early 1992, and they were better than all but a few of the thousands of shows I have seen in the past 45 years. I took my wife & kids to see them in 2008 ("Vertigo" was the hit), and they delivered a big stadium rock experience and show like the modern-day Stones. Worth every penny spent and would go see them again.

While all are entitled to opinions, some of these "hater" comments make me laugh out loud. It's OK to like other bands as much or even more than the Stones. It's also okay to admit that there are other bands like the Floyd and Zep and U2 that have had mega-impacts on popular music which rival the Stones.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 19, 2020 17:26

Usually on this board they are posts that are extreme but fortunately other posts counterbalance these outrageous views.I know people love to have fun and they have favorite targets; I think Bono is One. But IORR is a good place with a lot of different opinions.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 19, 2020 17:47

Imagine U2 fans on a U2 board that are fans of the early Stones:

After Between The Buttons the Stones lost it: what was vibrant enthusiastic blues and fired up renditions of rhythm and blues music was lost after their sudden change into Bob Dylan Land - they imitated The Beatles' Sgt Peppers... extremely poorly and never recovered.

And...

They have some good albums. Their early stuff is vital. When they did Jumpin' Jack Flash they had reinvented themselves. But by 1972 they were done. They started putting out rambling albums, including a double album - twice the rambling! But nothing past 1971 is worth anything.

And...

What they did before Jumpin' Jack Flash is a waste of time. Teeny bopper crap. Then when that didn't work they went on a wannabe Beach Boys/Bob Dylan/Beatles trip. None of that worked. Poseurs!

Then they got even worse! They jumped into disco! How embarrassing!

Someone with a stabbing sense of humor...

Someone needs to congratulate the Stones for being together for 300 years and applaud their pathetic attempts at staying modern and relevant.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 19, 2020 18:05

GasLightStreet

After Between The Buttons the Stones lost it: what was vibrant enthusiastic blues and fired up renditions of rhythm and blues music was lost after their sudden change into Bob Dylan Land - they imitated The Beatles' Sgt Peppers... extremely poorly and never recovered.

And...

They have some good albums. Their early stuff is vital. When they did Jumpin' Jack Flash they had reinvented themselves. But by 1972 they were done. They started putting out rambling albums, including a double album - twice the rambling! But nothing past 1971 is worth anything.

And...

What they did before Jumpin' Jack Flash is a waste of time. Teeny bopper crap. Then when that didn't work they went on a wannabe Beach Boys/Bob Dylan/Beatles trip. None of that worked. Poseurs!

Someone needs to congratulate the Stones for being together for 300 years and applaud their pathetic attempts at staying modern and relevant.

They have a right to be wrong.

grinning smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 19, 2020 18:48

Rattle and Hum is very good.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 19, 2020 19:32

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-19 19:55 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 19, 2020 20:03

GasLightStreet

And...

And...

Why bother with U2 fans on a U2 board, when you can read variations of it all right here from the genuine Stones fans?

Date: May 20, 2020 16:37

MadMax
MSG in the early 80's??

What? 69, 72, 75 and then 97-98, 02-03, 05-06 right? Did he mean Meadowlands?confused smiley

Probably one of these shows:

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 20, 2020 18:37

They have made a career of shoveling sludge for sound. Gotta give them credit for the title of that album, Rattle and Hum. Few truer words have been spoken. I am with Rockman, no U2 sludge on my system.

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 20, 2020 21:22

Hairball
GasLightStreet

And...

And...

Why bother with U2 fans on a U2 board, when you can read variations of it all right here from the genuine Stones fans?

Well, for one I was being funny and 2... it's more of a reflection so...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 21, 2020 00:21

Well, I was also attempting to be funny and didn't intend for my response to be a challenge.
With the Stones vast history, there's many different camps amongst the fan base, and on any given day you can find right here those that prefer:
Brian era only,
Mick Taylor era.
Ronnie era.
A combo of Brian and Mick Taylor only.
Nothing post Tattoo You.
Bill era vs. Darryl era.
And those who think everything is absolutely great including Dirty Work and and all of Mick's solo material (even Lets Work).
And on and on, etc, etc., etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-21 00:21 by Hairball.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 21, 2020 02:29

This is absurd... he could simply pick up the phone and call them. It's not like he got up one day and said "oh! What a beautiful day! this is a good time to write Stones!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2020 06:58

LeonidP
jbwelda
That guy really thinks a lot of himself, that's for sure.

jb

An oldie, but a goodie:

Q: What is the difference between God and Bono?

A: God doesn't sit around all day, thinking that he's Bono.

Always liked that one, it glimmers.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 21, 2020 23:34

I remember one interesting incident that happened in San Francisco, had to be mid or late 80s or so, when graffiti tagging (of OP's property) was becoming popular in some segments of the population. So Bono and crew are in town for one or more days and what gets on the news? Seems he and maybe some accomplices decided it would be a good idea to go down to one of the main tourist attractions (natch), the Embarcadero, and do some spray bombing of the public art down there. The TV cameras are there (I wonder who called them?) and they capture bonehead and crew spraying up a storm all over these kool concrete art pieces. I think the master bone addressed the cameras with some punk type barf reason why this was a really revolutionary thing to do, striking out at the big bad system that suppresses and oppresses us all. And then one assumes they got back into their limo and went down to the wharf for dinner and drinks.

Well, of course that wasn't the end of it. Next day the whole town was talking about that public desecration and up pops Bono again apologizing profusely for the act, and offering to pay beaucoup bucks to make it right again. Which I believe he did.

Look it up, ought to be in the SF Chronicle or Examiner archives, but I think there were further ramifications from their tres-prole-chic escapade including maybe even some minor criminal charges and more payments to those who matter.

Some wise man once said:

They think its funny,
Turning rebellion into money.

I don't think that was Bono who said it.

Edit: By the way I just did some research on this because I didn't trust my memory. Turns out they (U2) were doing a free show there at the Embarcadero when he took liberties with his can of Krylon. So its not like he just went down there and did it for shits and grins as I seemed to recall. Made a better story though.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-22 06:31 by jbwelda.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home