Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bono fan letter to Stones
Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 17, 2020 20:12

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

"Parents of three naughty boys" my favorite line

Re: Bono fan letter to Stones
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 17, 2020 22:48

That guy really thinks a lot of himself, that's for sure.

jb

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 18, 2020 00:17

He certainly ruined IORR at the Aragon Ballroom Chicago 2002!!!!! Ever since then, I refuse to listen to U2. And I’m sure most people who were there will agree with me !!!!

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: May 18, 2020 00:24

donvis
He certainly ruined IORR at the Aragon Ballroom Chicago 2002!!!!! Ever since then, I refuse to listen to U2. And I’m sure most people who were there will agree with me !!!!

Wow he really offended you!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 18, 2020 01:24

Bono is a tool.

U2 - Some songs good, many not good....most in the last 25+ years fall in the latter, IMO

The Edge is very good....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 18, 2020 01:49

U2 ... never allowed em on me stereo ....

the only bono fings in da bunker are...
Silver & Gold and that Joy song ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 18, 2020 05:01

donvis

I was at the Aragon Ballroom show and totally disagree with you. It was exciting to see him join the band, and he sounded better with them than the band did on Walk and Don't Look Back.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 18, 2020 05:09

I don't know why the hate. Bono said nice things about the Stones in the article & the letter was written as a fan. I prefer him when he doesn't talk but he is a great singer. The recent Joshua Tree tour was absolutely stunning & the 360 tour was just as good.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 18, 2020 05:12

Their first few albums were good, saw them at US 83 Festival and they were fantastic, their last good song was In Gods Country in '87 (still have 12" single).
Not long after that they began to suck, then they eventually turned into complete crap, can't listen to them anymore, end of story.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 18, 2020 05:47

Actually I liked the first couple of albums, when they were sort of underground still but everyone knew they would become a big act. When they did, I lost interest.
And in my opinion breathing and panting ("oh, how it moves myself emotionally how good a person I am") into a microphone isn't singing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-18 05:50 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: May 18, 2020 06:02

stickyfingers101
U2 - Some songs good, many not good....most in the last 25+ years fall in the latter, IMO

Like The Rolling Stones?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 18, 2020 06:12

Hairball
Their first few albums were good, saw them at US 83 Festival and they were fantastic, their last good song was In Gods Country in '87 (still have 12" single).
Not long after that they began to suck, then they eventually turned into complete crap, can't listen to them anymore, end of story.

why don't you tell us how you really feel, haha. winking smiley
the stones may have invented the stadium rock thing but u2 certainly refined it. where do you think the stones got the idea for the b stage? u2 did that around 1990, the zoo tv tour. cut me a little slack on the exact date but it was before voodoo lounge.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 18, 2020 07:39

crholmstrom
Hairball

why don't you tell us how you really feel, haha. winking smiley
the stones may have invented the stadium rock thing but u2 certainly refined it. where do you think the stones got the idea for the b stage? u2 did that around 1990, the zoo tv tour. cut me a little slack on the exact date but it was before voodoo lounge.

You're correct mostly. ZOO TV was 1992-93 and it had a huge influence on how things were done in the media regarding editing and formatting to this day (and, although they didn't invent the B-stage, they were the first stadium act to use it, which the Stones did shortly thereafter and have pretty much ever since, as so have U2).

For ZOO TV OUTSIDE BROADCAST (stadium shows) they wanted to have a huge screen but the company involved with their record label, Phillips, who was involved with technology, said No, too expensive... which, as I recall, the Stones were able to use for VOODOO LOUNGE (I think) which, at the time, was gargantuan. Mark Fisher made U2's POPMART stage much bigger than ZOO TV and VOODOO LOUNGE... and on and on. For a while they seemed to bounce off each other because of Mark Fisher.

Mick, who has recorded with U2 and has had Bono record with him (and attended ZOO TV to check out their stage and sound), and Keith, who has played with U2 and stated that he liked them (although that was a while ago), admire and respect U2 as a band and individuals as far as I can tell, although it's mostly been about Bono in terms of who. They've both worked with Mark Fisher et al and who knows how many other people regarding tours etc.

They're not stupid.

Whoever doesn't like U2 and Bono etc, fine - but at least accept and acknowledge the fact that U2've had a HUGE influence on stadium and arena touring (staging and sound) and it's partly due to the Stones and who they both have used for staging and technology. Which U2 gratefully has acknowledged over the years.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2020 07:51

lovely homage...not sure why such disdain. I like U2 but don't feel the need to see them in concert again, and last good album was All That You Can't Leave Behind which was excellent.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 18, 2020 12:12

U2 are amazing live, I have seen them 4 times and they've delivered every time. Great band even if they're not The Stones of course.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 18, 2020 12:49

MSG in the early 80's??

What? 69, 72, 75 and then 97-98, 02-03, 05-06 right? Did he mean Meadowlands?confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-18 12:50 by MadMax.

Date: May 18, 2020 16:35

GasLightStreet
Whoever doesn't like U2 and Bono etc, fine - but at least accept and acknowledge the fact that U2've had a HUGE influence on stadium and arena touring (staging and sound) and it's partly due to the Stones and who they both have used for staging and technology. Which U2 gratefully has acknowledged over the years.

No one here denies that, I don't think. But this is all about the packaging, not the music. Also, modern stage presentation and all is due a lot to acts like Alice Cooper for instance, who did use visual trickery, screens and such, in the 70s.
The other thing is, a lot of people don't realize that U2 is, essentially, a gospel group. Everyone is free to enjoy what they want, but for me, no thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-18 16:57 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 18, 2020 17:09

Do I recall reading once upon a time that The Stones were “responsible” for “teaching” U2 about blues and the roots of rock, so to speak, and that this teaching was why/how U2 recorded Rattle and Hum?

Rod

Date: May 18, 2020 17:16

MadMax
MSG in the early 80's??

What? 69, 72, 75 and then 97-98, 02-03, 05-06 right? Did he mean Meadowlands?confused smiley

MSG Nov. 12 & 13, 1981.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 18, 2020 17:25

Bono is like all of us here; a stone fan.
He is real, he loves the Stones. What is the point of trashing him on that subject?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: May 18, 2020 18:26

bitusa2012

Do I recall reading once upon a time that The Stones were “responsible” for “teaching” U2 about blues and the roots of rock, so to speak, and that this teaching was why/how U2 recorded Rattle and Hum?

Rod

Yes, I remember reading something like that, U2 wanted to do their own tribute to Exile by making a double LP mixing american styles: gospel, country, blues ... which was quite well done do my taste.

In fact, one of my first introduction to the Stones was through Rattle and Hum when U2 sang bit of Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy in a middle of one one their own song. I do not know which one ...

Date: May 18, 2020 18:45

Hairball

agree.

I saw them on that ZooTV Tour (Zoomerang...I saw it in Oz)...it was a good show....

but after that I tuned out.

Date: May 18, 2020 19:28

SomeGuy
GasLightStreet

No one here denies that, I don't think. But this is all about the packaging, not the music. Also, modern stage presentation and all is due a lot to acts like Alice Cooper for instance, who did use visual trickery, screens and such, in the 70s.
The other thing is, a lot of people don't realize that U2 is, essentially, a gospel group. Everyone is free to enjoy what they want, but for me, no thanks.

I would say Pink Floyd have always been the ultimate pioneers in regards to how we experience concerts (especially arenas) - including staging, sound, etc.

From the beginnings in the '60's with their projected psychedelic imagery, to large floating puppets, props, and quadrophonic sound in the '70's, and probably the first MASSIVE screen to project imagery with The Wall tour in '80/81 - the wall itself being screen where state of the art visuals and animation were projected throughout the show. Without Pink Floyd, I seriously doubt U2, the Stones, or any band would have been doing what they've done throughout the years - maybe some of it, but to a much lesser degree.

"The Wall show remains a milestone in rock history though and there's no point in denying it. Never again will one be able
to accept the technical clumsiness, distorted sound and meagre visuals of most arena rock concerts as inevitable.
The Wall show will be the touchstone against which all future rock spectacles must be measured." - New York Times, 1980

Having attended two of those show in L.A., 1980, I can confirm that Roger Waters' concepts both visually and musically raised the bar and set the standard with that tour,
and it should be of no surprise that Mark Fisher (previously mentioned) was the collaborator/set designer of the entire production.

From Roger Waters in an Ultimate Classic Rock article titled "How Pink Floyd’s ‘The Wall’ Tour Reinvented the Rock Concert"

Roger Waters: “I always knew it would be a multi-faceted project — a record, followed by shows in just a few cities and then a movie. It couldn’t possibly travel because of the sheer expense of getting this thing to move. It was miles ahead of anything that had been done in rock ’n ’roll and the amount of effort that went into every single detail was unheard of. It was very f—ing difficult to do but we had some very good people on board who made it happen.”

One of those “very good people” was set designer Mark Fisher, who began working with Waters on the concept for the stage show during the recording of The Wall. His production involved 420 cardboard bricks that, over the course of the first half of the show, would create a wall measuring 31-feet high and 160-feet wide in front of the band.

More > How Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' Tour Reinvented the Rock Concert

Ultimately, Pink Floyd set the standard, while the Stones, U2, and all other bands carried the torch - gotta give credit where credit is due.

Date: May 18, 2020 19:34

Hairball
SomeGuy
GasLightStreet

I would say Pink Floyd have always been the ultimate pioneers in regards to how we experience concerts (especially arenas) - including staging, sound, etc.

From the beginnings in the '60's with their projected psychedelic imagery, to large floating puppets, props, and quadrophonic sound in the '70's, and probably the first MASSIVE screen to project imagery with The Wall tour in '80/81 - the wall itself being screen where state of the art visuals and animation were projected throughout the show. Without Pink Floyd, I seriously doubt U2, the Stones, or any band would have been doing what they've done throughout the years - maybe some of it, but to a much lesser degree.

"The Wall show remains a milestone in rock history though and there's no point in denying it. Never again will one be able
to accept the technical clumsiness, distorted sound and meagre visuals of most arena rock concerts as inevitable.
The Wall show will be the touchstone against which all future rock spectacles must be measured." - New York Times, 1980

Having attended two of those show in L.A., 1980, I can confirm that Roger Waters' concepts both visually and musically raised the bar and set the standard with that tour,
and it should be of no surprise that Mark Fisher (previously mentioned) was the collaborator/set designer of the entire production.

From Roger Waters in an Ultimate Classic Rock article titled "How Pink Floyd’s ‘The Wall’ Tour Reinvented the Rock Concert"

Roger Waters: “I always knew it would be a multi-faceted project — a record, followed by shows in just a few cities and then a movie. It couldn’t possibly travel because of the sheer expense of getting this thing to move. It was miles ahead of anything that had been done in rock ’n ’roll and the amount of effort that went into every single detail was unheard of. It was very f—ing difficult to do but we had some very good people on board who made it happen.”

One of those “very good people” was set designer Mark Fisher, who began working with Waters on the concept for the stage show during the recording of The Wall. His production involved 420 cardboard bricks that, over the course of the first half of the show, would create a wall measuring 31-feet high and 160-feet wide in front of the band.

Ultimately, Pink Floyd set the standard, while the Stones, U2, and all other bands carried the torch - gotta give credit where credit is due.

I would say that Pink Floyd is probably the most unique rock band in history in many, many, many ways....

oh..and see "Dark Side of Oz" if you haven't yet.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 18, 2020 19:57

Yeah that's been around forever - see Nick Mason's reaction:

"You could probably try it with other records and other films...maybe Ben Hur and The Wall would work"....> Wizard

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2020 20:40

djgab
bitusa2012

Rod

Yes, I remember reading something like that, U2 wanted to do their own tribute to Exile by making a double LP mixing american styles: gospel, country, blues ... which was quite well done do my taste.

In fact, one of my first introduction to the Stones was through Rattle and Hum when U2 sang bit of Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy in a middle of one one their own song. I do not know which one ...

I know they did that during Live Aid, along with Walk on the Wild Side. That was on the song "Bad".

Date: May 18, 2020 20:52

Hairball
SomeGuy
GasLightStreet

Not for nothing half of the Alice Cooper team worked with Pink Floyd circa the end of the 70s smiling smiley
But yes, although I never saw Pink Floyd live, alas, I'm sure at the time they set the standard for big shows (shows, in a literal sense).

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 18, 2020 23:30

jbwelda
That guy really thinks a lot of himself, that's for sure.

jb

An oldie, but a goodie:

Q: What is the difference between God and Bono?

A: God doesn't sit around all day, thinking that he's Bono.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 18, 2020 23:36

crholmstrom
I don't know why the hate. Bono said nice things about the Stones in the article & the letter was written as a fan. I prefer him when he doesn't talk but he is a great singer. The recent Joshua Tree tour was absolutely stunning & the 360 tour was just as good.

I definitely don't 'hate'. U2 used to be one of my favorites. Boy and October, I must have played those hundreds of times in college, maybe 1000.

They lost me w/ the Pop album. I guess many love it when bands experiment, but to me, it was an experiment that went totally wrong. Couple that w/ the Bono "holier than thou" attitude, and I've never really followed them much since.

I do download the new albums they release, and there's some really good songs (Peace On Earth, Volcano ... are 2 I can think of, off the top of my head) but I've never had a desire to put them in regular rotation again.

Date: May 18, 2020 23:39

Hairball
Yeah that's been around forever - see Nick Mason's reaction:

"You could probably try it with other records and other films...maybe Ben Hur and The Wall would work"....> Wizard

I still think it was intentional.

....or maybe that was the weed.

eye rolling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home