Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Blind Faith - Under My Thumb
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 26, 2020 23:13

Ross
A Tele with a Strat neck. I din't recall seeing him play that guitar anywhere except that Hyde Park gig, any other footage of that ax?

I don’t think there is. The neck is from his Strat, ‘Brownie’ At least, according to the video I posted. I wasn’t aware he owned a Strat pre-solo career.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 27, 2020 00:30

deardoctor
I guess I´m alone here but I don´t like it. Sounds to me like a jam in a rehearsal room.

No you're not alone - as much as I love Clapton and Winwood, and Blind Faith as a whole, this cover just doesn't quite hit the mark.
Lethargic, unfocused, meandering, unambitious, aimless, an ultimately pointless imo.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 27, 2020 00:48

I don't like this version either. Clapton is playing real nice tho'

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 27, 2020 07:04

Hairball
deardoctor
I guess I´m alone here but I don´t like it. Sounds to me like a jam in a rehearsal room.

No you're not alone - as much as I love Clapton and Winwood, and Blind Faith as a whole, this cover just doesn't quite hit the mark.
Lethargic, unfocused, meandering, unambitious, aimless, an ultimately pointless imo.

Hairball & Mr. Snow, I am with you. I LOVE Winwood, Baker, & EC, and I like Blind Faith a lot. This, however is as Hairball describes it. I'd add one more adjective - lame.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 27, 2020 10:56

Ross
A Tele with a Strat neck. I din't recall seeing him play that guitar anywhere except that Hyde Park gig, any other footage of that ax?

He did play it with Blind Faith in Helsinki 1969 at least. Which was in December, so obviously after Hyde Park.

More pics and info:
[ollio.mbnet.fi]

Overall, he used a very cool collection of guitars on the Blind Faith tour: ES-335, Firebird, Tele, LP, ... maybe goes with the fact that he was in a bit of a "searching" mode artistically at that point between Cream and solo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-27 10:58 by LieB.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 27, 2020 13:56

Blind Faith were a great band, great musicians but individually these guys were not the "life of the party". A group of "depressed" souls playing for a recently(1969) dead musician was not really a set up for wild and crazy party. Maybe that could explain the way they play UMT.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 27, 2020 14:00

Leonard Cohen on back-up
vocals mighta given 'em a bit of a lift ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: May 27, 2020 23:06

Wow! What a load of Naysayers.

Ginger Baker isn't depressed. Look at the big grin on his face as he kicks it off. He's open, creative and expansive throughout. joy to watch and hear. His whole attitude throughout is positive and uplifting.

His plying isn't random And going nowhere.

And yes, they,'ve interpreted it soulfully. Vivre la difference.

What better vibe for a warm and mellow early Summer's day in Hyde Park.

The song is structured. Organ breaks and then guitar. It's just that they are in the groove and relaxed and so to you fifty years later it might seem aimless.

A superb and timeless blend of rich organ, fluid and spontaneous blues guitar and a reliable,solid and grounding bass.

Yes, they may have been a bit stoned. Par for the course.

I would have been dancing.

The audience loved it. Full applause.

Of it's time.

And place.

Perfect.

Date: May 27, 2020 23:10

Great post, Four Stone Walls. I’m in absolute agreement. I know I’m currently listening to this more often than a certain Rolling Stones track that too many are obsessing over. Zzz...

Date: May 28, 2020 01:18

I like that one too. But this better now.

Beginning to know Clapton's solo off by heart.

Disconcerting at first - that he looks half asleep.
While his his fingers gently weave.

It's about the Roll

Ginger, give us the best boy and ease our souls,
We wanna get lost in your rhythm bowl
And drift away ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-28 01:24 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: May 28, 2020 22:32

I agree that it's a cool band (I love their album) and a nice rendition of UMT, but I can see where the negativity is coming from too. Blind Faith never took off the way Clapton hoped for.

Specifically on the day of the Hyde Park show, according to himself in his autobiography, Clapton was "out of it" because he was upset about the fact that Ginger took heroin before the show. (This, of course, was before he got strung out on smack himself.)

The show was laid back and groovy alright, but certainly not a historic performance.

Date: May 29, 2020 03:05

Is is just me, or are some of the audience shots in the footage also used in the Stones’ Hyde Park film?

Date: May 29, 2020 22:10

Big Al
Is is just me, or are some of the audience shots in the footage also used in the Stones’ Hyde Park film?

Might be possible yes.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: May 30, 2020 04:49

I saw this on YT ~ a year ago, groovy take.

Speaking of off tempo, Mick on styles of singing: "I remember when I was very young, I read an article by Fats Domino which has really influenced me. He said, 'You should never sing the lyrics out very clearly' "...that explains a lot, especially '70's lyrics.

Date: May 30, 2020 05:19

Mick Jagger - Jonathan Cott ----- Rolling Stone No 19 -- October 1968

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 30, 2020 21:38

Interestingly, UMT is one of the few songs where you can clearly understand everything he's singing.

re: the blind Faith version, I can't help but think that When Mick was in the audience it sparked the inspiration for the laid back grooving version on the Stone's '69 tour.

Date: June 4, 2020 16:50

ryanpow
Interestingly, UMT is one of the few songs where you can clearly understand everything he's singing.

re: the blind Faith version, I can't help but think that When Mick was in the audience it sparked the inspiration for the laid back grooving version on the Stone's '69 tour.

I have to concur with your second paragraph. It may very well have been an influence.

Date: June 5, 2020 01:37

Me too.

Just wondering also, was this the first big outdoor festival in UK? The prototype?

Bath the year before maybe, or something down that way with F Mac + Zeppelin?

It makes me wonder .....

Date: June 5, 2020 02:55

Four Stone Walls
Me too.

Just wondering also, was this the first big outdoor festival in UK? The prototype?

It makes me wonder .....

Well, you had the Windsor Jazz and Blues Festival; a precursor of the Reading Festival. The Stones performed at the former in 1964.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 5, 2020 13:47

Love Blind Faith. Self titled album from ‘69 is a blinder. Winwood and Baker are geniuses. This cover is dire.

Rod

Date: June 5, 2020 13:56

bitusa2012
Love Blind Faith. Self titled album from ‘69 is a blinder. Winwood and Baker are geniuses. This cover is dire.

Yeah, the cover is somewhat off-putting. I had read that it’s Ginger Baker’s daughter, but unsure what kind of father would allow such an image. Peculiar.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 5, 2020 14:08

Big Al
bitusa2012

Yeah, the cover is somewhat off-putting. I had read that it’s Ginger Baker’s daughter, but unsure what kind of father would allow such an image. Peculiar.

LOL.

THIS cover of Under my Thumb is dire. Better????

Rod

Date: June 6, 2020 16:43

Big Al
Four Stone Walls
Me too.

It makes me wonder .....

Well, you had the Windsor Jazz and Blues Festival; a precursor of the Reading Festival. The Stones performed at the former in 1964.

We're they outside gigs, Al?

Bodyguard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-06 16:45 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 7, 2020 00:00

IMO Clapton is the most overrated guitarist.Taylor at his peak could play rings around him.And Ronnie Wood athis peak is one of the most underrated.In fact I like Woody’splaying better than Clapton’s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-07 00:03 by Taylor1.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 7, 2020 10:56

I don't like it, a rather lame and powerless interpretation. My favorite versions are from the tours 69 and 81/82. Mick Taylor's phrasing in 69 is unique, also Ronnie Wood's power in 81/82.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 8, 2020 00:38

I like it.

Very different to the Stones original way of doing their song, but O.K. if it was done live, or as an album track by Blind Faith. thumbs up

Date: June 8, 2020 02:22

Just gimmie Under My Thumb from UK mono Aftermath .....

..... at's da one ya need .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 8, 2020 04:09

Hey, Rockman, I agree - mono all the way for the Stones during those early years. And, I can't help but add, for The Beatles. The mono mixes are the best.

Date: June 10, 2020 01:13

Rockman
Just gimmie Under My Thumb from UK mono Aftermath .....

..... at's da one ya need .....

No. Get it yourself. Don't be lazy.

And no, it isn't.

I can offer you, however, a Sea of Joy and The Presence of the Lord.

Play in Peace, Ginger Baker, Rhythm King,

In an Eternal Summer of '69.

How wonderfully wise of you to depart there before the end of the decade.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-10 17:00 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 11, 2020 13:50

You know what I love the Hyde Park performance . To me Blind Faith were firing on all cylinders . Eric Clapton can play no matter what and as many have mentioned that he was stoned and so what , it didn't look like he missed any notes to me and he did play a nice proper solo on UMT . Ginger Baker aka Peter Edward Ginger Baker knows how to play the skins and is all over them . Steve Winwood who I believe was in his late teens at this time has a most soulful voice drenched in the blues and his work on the B3 Hammond Organ is right up there with all of them that have tickled the ivories and Rick Gretch was keeping a pulsating pounding bass beat . This was a super group of 4 ubber talented musicians in there prime . I wish I was there to witness this most historical performance .

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home