Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Blind Faith - Under My Thumb
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 17, 2020 19:07

Came across this while perusing utoob. No idea if it's been previously posted. Clapton plays a Tele rather than a Strat on it. Would be cool to see the Stones jam out on some of their songs like they do here. Enjoy.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Blind Faith - Under My Thumb
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: May 17, 2020 19:31

Yes, wonderful relaxed drums, and Winwoods soulful voice.Sweet summer sun.

the Stones at Murrayfield two years ago was quite some party though.

Quite a versatile groove.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: May 17, 2020 21:32

Fantastic cover. I was watching the video of the show the other day.
And I think I mentioned in a post recently, one of my three favorite Stones covers, along with Otis and Johnny Cash.

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: May 17, 2020 22:31

A great version of UMT. I think some of the crowd shots may have been cut from The Stones In The Park.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 17, 2020 23:14

Mick came to see them and ... Brian Jones was still alive. Time waits for no one.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: May 17, 2020 23:48

Date: May 18, 2020 01:08

Thanks again, good timing on a Sunday.

Also watched 'Do what you like/ Presence of the Lord'

Audience a bit spellbound during the latter. And they dug Ginger on his one.

'Everyone knows the secret. Everybody knows the score'.

Peace.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 18, 2020 01:53

It's like peering into a lost world. It's more than half a century ago. It's like the old cliche of watching a good movie from the 1940s. "Everybody in this movie is dead!"

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 18, 2020 02:20

That was great as was the other clip. Thanks for bringing those up

jb

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 18, 2020 02:30

Watched it many times great concert....I think it was posted before many years ago but that doesn't matter...it's gas

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: May 18, 2020 04:33

Great clip!! Saw them at MSG after that!! Also saw cream at the garden 1968-one of my 1st. concerts after Hendrix in Newark. flashbacks!! Thanks.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 18, 2020 04:52

Spotify has the concert available to listen.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 18, 2020 19:20

This is pretty cool, I never knew they covered this.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: May 19, 2020 05:39

Great post. Thanks.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 19, 2020 06:19

Wow, really cool vocals from Steve Winwood!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-19 06:23 by ryanpow.

Date: May 22, 2020 00:22

Well it's still Hyde Park '69 weather in the UK and the floating airwaves in the trees and over the Serpentine still radiate and permeate into another week ....

Producing two thoughtwaves:

1 How good it was when the Stones opened with this mid-tempo song in '81-82, starting with a fairly relaxed groove instead of the now more usual full frontal assault.
This worked well with HTW in '75-76 too, setting the controls for Party mode instead of high tempo mode.
The relaxed JJFlash of '69 also started things off in Relaxed control.

How about the same approach for their last four. Tumbling Dice as an opener.

2. Back to Hyde Park '69.
The whole of the Love and Peace generation (UK pool) grooving out to what is essentially a rather mean and mysogenistic message!
Given that voice, drums, organ and guitar, the weather and some relaxants they could be singing about any of many an unpleasant theme and people would be grooving, swaying and digging.

Something unique about that song - studio - the total hypnotic relaxing swing - the really rather machismo narcissism .....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 22, 2020 11:04

I really rather enjoy Eric’s more subdued style, here. His rhythm-work reminds me a little of Steve Cropper.

Date: May 22, 2020 15:50

Well yes, his whole demeanour is relaxed and laid back.

His speech and eyes, and playing, suggest to me that he has something in his system,though not alcohol or amphetamines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-22 23:12 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 22, 2020 20:46

Under my Thumb should always be played at studio pace. Although Still Life is fun!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 22, 2020 20:48

Still Life for me - but everyone´s got their own cup of tea.

Date: May 22, 2020 23:17

It's about their first studio song where guitar isn't key. An anemic solo, hardly worth that name.

Bass and marimbas baby. A Mick/Brian song?

Date: May 23, 2020 11:42

Four Stone Walls
It's about their first studio song where guitar isn't key. An anemic solo, hardly worth that name.

Bass and marimbas baby. A Mick/Brian song?

Nope. The melody would’ve been Keith’s. I’d imagine they’re Mick’s lyrics, though.

Date: May 23, 2020 13:35

Am open to suggestions, but how can we know the melody was Keith's?
He always has a stronger musical presence on his songs.

I assumed Brian because of the Marambas - which carry the melody.
But so does the bass - perhaps that's Keith, but I don't think or know of think I know! that Keith recorded bass instead of Bill until '67.

(Live With Me is based on a bass melody which is totally & unquestionably Keith)

Anyway, yes, the lyrics were Mick.
Keith must have been appalled, being the gentleman that he is.

Date: May 25, 2020 20:36

The mature sounding and relaxed Steve Winwood was just 21 at this gig.

So he was 17 when he sung the hit "Keep on Running", with, if anything, an older sounding voice.

Whey-hey.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 25, 2020 22:52

dmay
Came across this while perusing utoob. No idea if it's been previously posted. Clapton plays a Tele rather than a Strat on it. Would be cool to see the Stones jam out on some of their songs like they do here. Enjoy.

[www.youtube.com]

It is actually a Tele body with a Strat neck.

Date: May 26, 2020 16:11

Eric Clapton discussing the ‘Blind Faith’ Telecaster reissue.

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 26, 2020 17:10

I guess I´m alone here but I don´t like it. Sounds to me like a jam in a rehearsal room.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 26, 2020 18:31

"Sounds to me like a jam in a rehearsal room."

In a general sense: Sometimes the best music sounds totally off the cuff and unrehearsed. There are a number of things by the Stones, Neil Young, Dylan, Springsteen, others, that are alternate takes/not polished releases that sound better than their official stuff. There are rehearsal things - jam like - by the Stones that sound better/cooler than the songs on their albums. "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" becomes a jam session, one that the Stones could've played, IMHO, for 20 minutes or more riffing off the Santanaesque vibe of it. The jamming on this cover of UMT may not be Allman Brothers/Grateful Dead/Neil and Crazy Horse out there length or sound, but it works for what it is, taking UMT a bit beyond just playing a cover of it.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 26, 2020 19:22

A Tele with a Strat neck. I din't recall seeing him play that guitar anywhere except that Hyde Park gig, any other footage of that ax?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 26, 2020 22:37

dmay
"Sounds to me like a jam in a rehearsal room."

In a general sense: Sometimes the best music sounds totally off the cuff and unrehearsed. There are a number of things by the Stones, Neil Young, Dylan, Springsteen, others, that are alternate takes/not polished releases that sound better than their official stuff. There are rehearsal things - jam like - by the Stones that sound better/cooler than the songs on their albums. "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" becomes a jam session, one that the Stones could've played, IMHO, for 20 minutes or more riffing off the Santanaesque vibe of it. The jamming on this cover of UMT may not be Allman Brothers/Grateful Dead/Neil and Crazy Horse out there length or sound, but it works for what it is, taking UMT a bit beyond just playing a cover of it.

In a general sense I agree, although Can´t you hear me knocking does not sound like a jam session at all. It´s a very fine worked out jazzy part, perfect from beginning to end.

So I have to specify: This UMT cover sounds not rehearsed but sloppy and stoned and don´t get me wrong, in general I like BLIND FAITH and I love some of the sloppy Stones-jam sessions but that´s another vibe.
Just my opinion...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1715
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home