Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Joy" revisited - what do you think??
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 17, 2020 16:48

In my opinion, Keith was right -- Goddess in the Doorway is basically a (dog)shit album.

But there's one track that shines, I think -- "Joy". It starts out strong and then just gets STRONGER as it progresses, until it gives this listener the ecstasy that its title promises.

Very, very good song. Even through the dreck of an album like GITD, Mick's musical genius shines through. Well done Sir Michael!

Drew

Re: "Joy" revisited - what do you think??
Date: May 17, 2020 17:12

I like the album. However, Joy and a couple of others is not my cup of tea.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 17, 2020 17:30

It’s not dog shit.There is plenty of recycled same old riffs on many ofKeith ‘s songs in the last 30 years.I like Visions of Paradise,God GaveMe Everything and Goddess.But IMO it’s a weak album

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 17, 2020 17:34

I like Joy... enough. But it has one of those 'this should have Jeff Beck on it' horrible bridges. The album seems to be front loaded with the better tracks. Visions Of Paradise is pretty cool. Dancing In The Starlight is decent. God Gave Me Everything is outstanding.

But it gets ridiculous. Hideaway is cheeky. It has some interesting things, the 'disappear' part is cool - but then it goes back to 'Let's have some sweet tea' jolly crap. Don't Call Me Up, Too Far Gone and If Things Had Been Different are just another 'my cards are on the table' ballads, the kind of crap Mick writes 40 times a day. The title track is awful.

Lucky Day is interesting in a pretty good way - it's the long lost cousin to Running Out Of Luck.

Everybody Getting High is stupid. Gun was already done - U2 did it, much better, in 1997 and it's called Mofo.

Brand New Set Of Rules - awful. Awful bad. Like some kind of early form of something that's... awful bad.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 17, 2020 17:34

I like the album but can't make it through this song. Mostly cause I can't stand Bono

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 17, 2020 17:49

I was never a fan of this song or the album it comes from. Listening to Joy now as a refresher, and the addition of Bono makes it sound way more like a U2 song than anything Stones related.
And not that there's really anything wrong with U2 in particular, but it's not what I want to hear when I'm listening to anything Stones related.
The guitar breakdown at the 2:40 mark is lame, while the ending is way too much of a "Streets Have No Name" vibe...you just want it to mercifully end.
Overall, might have been better received had it been on a U2 album w/Mick as guest vocalist vs. a Mick/Stones related album.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 17, 2020 19:14

GasLightStreet
I like Joy... enough. But it has one of those 'this should have Jeff Beck on it' horrible bridges. The album seems to be front loaded with the better tracks. Visions Of Paradise is pretty cool. Dancing In The Starlight is decent. God Gave Me Everything is outstanding.

But it gets ridiculous. Hideaway is cheeky. It has some interesting things, the 'disappear' part is cool - but then it goes back to 'Let's have some sweet tea' jolly crap. Don't Call Me Up, Too Far Gone and If Things Had Been Different are just another 'my cards are on the table' ballads, the kind of crap Mick writes 40 times a day. The title track is awful.

Lucky Day is interesting in a pretty good way - it's the long lost cousin to Running Out Of Luck.

Everybody Getting High is stupid. Gun was already done - U2 did it, much better, in 1997 and it's called Mofo.

Brand New Set Of Rules - awful. Awful bad. Like some kind of early form of something that's... awful bad.

thumbs up
I add only "Blue"...a really good song.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 18, 2020 01:21

Interesting mix of opinions. Seems like "Joy" isn't the most popular.

Agree on "Blue" - an excellent track!

Drew

Date: May 18, 2020 01:27

It's a plus for every song if Bono isn't in it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 18, 2020 01:43

Joy Rodder ..... she was the hottest chick in primary school ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 18, 2020 02:00

I like it somewhat (as I said earlier, the bridge or whatever you want to call it, the stupid guitar wanking bit ruins the song). It's kind of interesting in a solo album way - Pete on guitar, Bono doing something on the fly in the midst of a U2 tour while having a cold (wherever that was, Austria?) and not knowing the song.

What I find more interesting is the contrast in Mick's vocal approach and Bono's vocal approach - and by that I mean how they enunciate, draw out or shorten words, the different notes each uses. Mick has always been more of a yelling guttural singer where as Bono flat out sings.

I suppose in a scientific aspect it's just enough interesting.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 18, 2020 02:08

Bono doesn't sing winking smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 18, 2020 04:19

U2 is a great band ,with great songs and a great sound.Mick is a fan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home