Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Nascar returns
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 18, 2020 19:06

>America just doesn't care that much about road races.

Americans are a stupid lot. Round and round and lots of crashes, that's how we like our racing. And a lot of deep fried junk to keep up the obesity index and deaden our brains. Now that's what I call racing. Well, no, its not what I call racing but you get my point.

jb

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 18, 2020 19:19

jbwelda
>America just doesn't care that much about road races.

Americans are a stupid lot. Round and round and lots of crashes, that's how we like our racing. And a lot of deep fried junk to keep up the obesity index and deaden our brains. Now that's what I call racing. Well, no, its not what I call racing but you get my point.

Watkins Glen and Sonoma are great road courses, and Mid-Ohio is in the other division. Charlotte altered their oval to include another road course. There was another one in Riverside, CA that was really cool, but corporate great leveled it for apartments or something like that.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 19, 2020 03:28

I can tell you Sears Point/Infineon/Sonoma Raceway used to be a spectacular, really fun track. Then they got a NASCAR franchise (racing on the road course) and they invested millions of dollars on completely ruining it. Used to be, could drive around the entire course, park on the hillsides and generally have a weed-tastic party there, trackside, while watching world class sports racing. Now its all controlled access, big bleachers out in the sun (on highway 61) and a complete corporate bore. Even my favorite vintage car racing event, the Wine Country Classic, doesn't have anything to do with it anymore, though I think its been replaced by a similar event. Any Saturday or Sunday you could go see SCCA racing for a pittance or free if one were clever. Again, that doesn't happen much anymore, its mostly up at Thunderhill up north now, that is a pretty nice, low key substitute for the famous Sears Point (as I remember it).

jb

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: May 19, 2020 13:22

Well there's your problem you only watch on TV I actually go to races and they ain't getting rid of tracks you mentioned there top notch facilities in big markets like it or not like all other major sports nascar is a business there not gonna leave a major city to go race at some track in the middle nowhere just like a NFL team is not gonna go to some small town and play at the local high school football field this isn't 1965 anymore.

Date: May 19, 2020 13:24

While first pit stall is big it deffinatly does not guarantee a win.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 19, 2020 15:55

Rickster
Well there's your problem you only watch on TV I actually go to races and they ain't getting rid of tracks you mentioned there top notch facilities in big markets like it or not like all other major sports nascar is a business there not gonna leave a major city to go race at some track in the middle nowhere just like a NFL team is not gonna go to some small town and play at the local high school football field this isn't 1965 anymore.

I grew up near a track and went a lot. Attendance is nothing like it used to be.

Those facilities might be nice, but there are too many 1.5 tri-ovals as I illustrated. Putting the same track in big markets doesn’t make it good if nobody shows up.

Wilkesboro and Rockingham are right down the road from most teams shops, that’s why they were on the schedule for so long. There was a huge fan base in N.C. too. Markets don’t matter if nobody shows up. There’s a top notch facility outside Nashville that lost their GN and truck races because nobody went.

Unless somebody with a lot of money invests in them, of course they won’t come back. A guy with a ton of money bought them, moved their dates, and left Wilkesboro to rot and sold the Rock. He abandoned the roots for big paydays that 20 years later don’t look like smart moves.

You like a similar thing every week, I don’t. Hey that’s why they’re called opinions. smileys with beer

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 19, 2020 16:10

Rickster-Totally disagree. If your the first car off of pit road, you also pick which lane you restart from and also in return get to pick who is lined up behind you. Doesn't guarantee a win or re stricter plate races, but at tracks like Darlington, Charlotte, and the majority of the tracks, being out in clear air is HUGE.

Date: May 20, 2020 12:42

Just saying to many people living in the past wilkesboro is beyond repair would be cheaper to build a new track. As far as rockingham I heard interview with current owners he has next to no interest in top level racing there he has had music festivals and that is pretty much what he wants in the future. It amazes me how many people still mention those 2 tracks surprised they don't want to still race on the beach.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home