Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Van Morrison and the Stones
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 15, 2020 04:20

Are there any recordings of Van Morrison singing with the Stones when he was there opening act in 2006 and 2007?

Re: Van Morrison and the Stones
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2020 04:26

still gets a laugh ...............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2020 04:50

There was a buzz in the air, and rumour had it he was going to sing Little Red Rooster with them when he opened in Oakland, 2006, but it never happened.
Great opening set though, and it was my first time seeing Van.

I also attended the Stones at Nijmegen, Netherlands, 2007 with Van opening, but the rain and thunder ended his set early and he never reappeared.
Another great set (albeit mini-set) by Van, and even though it was horrible weather, it was a heck of alot of fun. As a bonus, before the Stones came on, the clouds dispersed and there was no more rain.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 15, 2020 11:02

I think Keith was preoccupied with Learning The Game, and two versions of that Buddy classic exist.

When it comes to Van, I think Mick was a bigger fan, i.e Winter on Goats Head Soup.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: May 15, 2020 11:33

...they were rivals...64/65

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 15, 2020 12:34

He was great in Werchter 2007, I especially remember a beautiful Days Like These. This was the last show (ever?) where they finished the show with Sympathy. In front of the stage it looked like the late 60's as people were getting their rocks off dancing. Happy Days! Great support acts that summer, Maytals, Van The Man and Jet, even The Enemy were alright, what with their 3-piece and alternatively tuned guitars.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 15, 2020 20:02

Hairball
There was a buzz in the air, and rumour had it he was going to sing Little Red Rooster with them when he opened in Oakland, 2006, but it never happened.

I also attended the Stones at Nijmegen, Netherlands, 2007 with Van opening, but the rain and thunder ended his set early and he never reappeared.
Another great set (albeit mini-set) by Van, and even though it was horrible weather, it was a heck of alot of fun. As a bonus, before the Stones came on, the clouds dispersed and there was no more rain.

Hi Hairball,
The announcer told us (in Dutch, so you may have missed it) that they were constantly communication with the KNMI weather center. The center told at some point (based on detailed moving satelite images) exactly when the rain would stop. Amazingly they were accurate within the minute! So the Stones knew when they could come on stage!
Too bad and too sad that Van Morrison and band were washed off from the stage. they were doing a good job.
I hope you did find shelter under the huge plastic sheets grinning smiley
Great concert. I was there with both my daughters.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2020 20:31

georgie48
Hairball

Hi Hairball,
The announcer told us (in Dutch, so you may have missed it) that they were constantly communication with the KNMI weather center. The center told at some point (based on detailed moving satelite images) exactly when the rain would stop. Amazingly they were accurate within the minute! So the Stones knew when they could come on stage!
Too bad and too sad that Van Morrison and band were washed off from the stage. they were doing a good job.
I hope you did find shelter under the huge plastic sheets grinning smiley
Great concert. I was there with both my daughters.

My wife speaks Dutch (among several other languages), but I don't recall that detail of the announcer giving weather updates, though we were probably too busy taking shelter from the storm!
I do recall making a beer run on my own, and with plastic cups of Amstel in each hand, somehow was able to make it back and find my wife who was under a random plastic tarp with several other fans!smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home