Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435Next
Current Page: 34 of 35
Re: Steel Wheels Live - Atlantic City - out September 25
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 22, 2020 00:12

Captain Teague
jamesfdouglas
This FINALLY came! I got the SD blu-ray/CD set. Man, what memories. I videotaped the re-broadcast in 1990 off of Muchmusic (yes I still have those 3D glasses) and watched it so... many... times! If you knew me in highschool and came to my house, you saw the 17-song edited special.

I still think they played Miss You way, WAY too fast in 89/90! Hahah

It's also ruined by Matt Clifford's synthesised harmonica sound

That terrible thing has been back on the last few tours too. He's not fooling anyone with that sample. Honestly, pick any other cool synthy sound on that keyboard.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 22, 2020 01:01

People tend to blame Matt and Chuck for this and that. Remember, Jagger hired them. He's the band leader. He wanted the synth upgrade. He didn't want to stay behind the times.
Keith and Charlie were, probably, more conservative in that perspective.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: October 22, 2020 10:33

What's the verdict on the sound? Is it way better than, let's say, on the Swingin' Pig box set? Has it been improved significantly?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 22, 2020 10:56

Having listened to Atlantic City a few times now, I cannot help but compare it to the officially-released Tokyo show from the following year. I am of the opinion that the latter-mentioned performance is somewhat stronger; or should I say, Keith is seemingly more 'on' The rendition of Can't Be Seen from the Tokyo show in question is absolutely terrific. Keith's lead-lines, vocal delivery and general energy really make the performance. It's absolutely one of my very-favourite Stones live moments. What does everyone else think?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 22, 2020 13:36

Stoneage
People tend to blame Matt and Chuck for this and that. Remember, Jagger hired them. He's the band leader. He wanted the synth upgrade. He didn't want to stay behind the times.
So true and i include myself at never missing a chance to take a shot at Chuck and Chuck is a loyal employee that does the bosses bidding (Mick)

Date: October 22, 2020 14:37

Stoneage

Wasn't it Stu that recommended Chuck for the band for the 1982-tour?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 22, 2020 16:46

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Yes, I think so Dandy. I have heard so too. What I was referring to was that Jagger most probably was the architect behind the 1989/90 tours new music arrangements. Not Chuck or Matt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-22 17:06 by Stoneage.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 22, 2020 17:11

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Yes, I think so Dandy. I have heard so too. What I was referring to was that Jagger most probably was the architect behind the 1989/90 tours new music arrangements. Not Chuck or Matt.

Mick has been the CEO of Stones Inc. since he first signed is name on the deal
w/ Cohl.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 22, 2020 21:12

So far I've totally enjoyed the Atlantic City Blu Ray. Great performances, great setlist. And it probably their longest shows. Was this Bill's last performance in the States? Or was there a show after this?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 23, 2020 01:29

Yeah and the Tokyo dvd is great. Ok the visual's not as good as the previous archive show from the other date, but better than not havin it at all.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 23, 2020 11:10

Big Al
Having listened to Atlantic City a few times now, I cannot help but compare it to the officially-released Tokyo show from the following year. I am of the opinion that the latter-mentioned performance is somewhat stronger; or should I say, Keith is seemingly more 'on' The rendition of Can't Be Seen from the Tokyo show in question is absolutely terrific. Keith's lead-lines, vocal delivery and general energy really make the performance. It's absolutely one of my very-favourite Stones live moments. What does everyone else think?

Yeah Al I agree. I remember getting the Tokyo FTV a couple of months after its release as I figured I wouldn't need it as I had the AC Jointrip boot but got convinced after watching some YT clips while having it large during the wee wee hours at my boss' place with some lady company.

How wrong I was! The Tokyo show is far superior, and we get AHYS. Of course the AC show is great, I love John Lee Hookers gueast app and as GLS has pointed out, maybe one of the best SMU's of all time, but it's no coincidence that a lot of high energy performances tend to come during the spring legs of their SA/Asia sections of their world tours, between the US and European legs. (Perhaps because it sometimes involve breaking new ground/markets?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-23 11:11 by MadMax.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: October 24, 2020 01:22

I don't agree about Matt Clifford's synthesised harmonica sound "ruining" Miss You.

Posted by: andreas ()
Date: October 24, 2020 01:27

Atlantic City 19-12-89 has a
Legendary setlist ! The stones are playing great here at the end of the american leg.
Tokyo 26-02-90 is a fantastic gig too, AND its Mixed by the master Bob Clearmountain . He makes Charlie and Bills fantastic sound shine on both Tokyo shows ...
At The Tokyo extra 24-02-90 show the band uses some songs too get warmed up, a bit stiff & autopilot in the first part,’and then the band explodes. Watch &
Listen to Rambler ! Cant be seen is a totally different monster at this show.. wow . Lisa Fisher & Cindy Mizelle are missed in Tokyo and the European leg later on. Great shows though .
AC has Awesome picture upgrade quality.
Sam Wheat 2020 mixing on AC isnt the worst he has done. I was worried about this one
Charlie and especially Bill’s sound suffer badly.. great horns,keys, vocals and guitars..try compare that rythmsection mix to mr Bob Clearmountains «Terrifying» PPV original
Broadcast from 19-12-89. Even a torn 31 year old Livemix degenerated VHS- tape shows how different approaches can be mixing the greatest band in the world. Its the same recording material.
The Steel Wheels live deluxe is a real treat anyway. No doubts.
Hope we get some shows from The Urban Jungle mixed by Clearmountain soon— keep it coming!
Hails from Norway

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: October 24, 2020 01:44

Stoneage

Given they were mostly copied from the arrangements from his solo tour, that would make sense.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: October 25, 2020 18:26

tommycharles
Stoneage

Given they were mostly copied from the arrangements from his solo tour, that would make sense.

It sounded obvious to me when I first heard Deep Down Under

And especially on that one :

Mick Jagger - Ruby Tuesday / Deep Down Under Australian Tour 1988

Atlantic City 1989 blu ray purchase USA
Posted by: illyad1960 ()
Date: October 27, 2020 17:38

Is stand alone blu ray available in USA in region 0 or North American region? If so where can I purchase the North American blu ray? I can only find blu ray for Europe.TIA.

Re: Atlantic City 1989 blu ray purchase USA
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 27, 2020 17:45

See here: [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: December 27, 2020 11:53

This was a very lovely Christmas present. I played the whole concept from beginning to end on vinyl, while I build Lego with my son! And it got rave reviews from me and also from my son and my wife! That’s quite an achievement!

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: February 20, 2021 13:18

Finally got around to catching up with an old buddy and we sat and watched/listened to the Blu-Ray this evening, such a different visual edit from the original broadcast, definitely a more engaged choice of angles, very few from distance.

The Audio was a talking point, we both enjoyed the channel separation, I thought it was a bit to pronounced for a Home Theatre experience, but I really enjoyed many aspects of it, all in all, a great release

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 20, 2021 16:09

24FPS
So far I've totally enjoyed the Atlantic City Blu Ray. Great performances, great setlist. And it probably their longest shows. Was this Bill's last performance in the States? Or was there a show after this?

There was one more show after.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 16:40

Are there any bonus tracks to this one available in Japan only, or is this the definitive version of this?

Steel Wheels Live Deluxe

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 19, 2021 20:05

VoodooLounge13

Are there any bonus tracks to this one available in Japan only, or is this the definitive version of this?

CD3 - Steel Wheels Rare Reels - 06. 1989 Interview [Japanese Bonus-Track] - (previously released on Promo-Interview-CD) - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 20:29

Irix
VoodooLounge13

CD3 - Steel Wheels Rare Reels - 06. 1989 Interview [Japanese Bonus-Track] - (previously released on Promo-Interview-CD) - [iorr.org] .

Ahhh that's where that is!! Thanks Irix. I recall there being a bonus track somewhere that was just an interview. Not worth the extra money IMHO for just that. Especially since I found it super cheap on Amazon!!! $69.99 for the deluxe!!

Date: August 19, 2021 22:14

There was one show after the PPV. The stage was decorated for Christmas. There were garlands around the microphone stands and balls hanging from some parts of the stage props

24FPS

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: July 25, 2022 12:39

A little late to the game for this one. Listening to the vinyl (colored version) right now for the first time. A little disappointed with the sound I have to admit. It's very 'boomy'. I turned down the bass a little, but it still is very present and a bit annoying. Also the 'muddy' sound (described by others) is very present on the vinyl. Too much compression?
Having said that, I really like the Steel wheels / Urban Jungle live period. Totally different from the 81 tour. Maybe a bit overproduced and too 'smooth', but you hear that a lot in this period. I also like the Flashpoint album (I know not everyone agrees with me), has probably something to do with the fact that in this period I became a fan.

Re: Steel Wheels Live - Atlantic City - out September 25, 2020
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 25, 2022 14:54

Keith is far better now than in 1989 (Happy, Midnight Rambler, Sympathy,HTW, Satisfaction, JJF).

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 25, 2022 15:18

Bill Wyman putting on a clinic, as usual.

Posted by: rolling1us ()
Date: July 25, 2022 15:25

Besides the DVD/Blu-ray i still prefer the sound of the good old Swingin CD set with the gold CD'S. Both are living happily together in my collection but IMHO the bootleg is still the best.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 26, 2022 06:21

24FPS

ATLANTIC CITY is 12-19-1989. Bill's last North American show as a Rolling Stone was 12-20-1989.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 26, 2022 11:03

rolling1us
Besides the DVD/Blu-ray i still prefer the sound of the good old Swingin CD set with the gold CD'S. Both are living happily together in my collection but IMHO the bootleg is still the best.

In fact, nothing more to say! But: Another time shame on Sam Wheat!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435Next
Current Page: 34 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home