Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435Next
Current Page: 32 of 35
Re: Steel Wheels Live - Atlantic City - out September 25
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 3, 2020 17:13

I assume the tokyo dvd is the same date as the archive bluray release. Anybody confirmed this? I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 3, 2020 17:16

shadooby

I assume the tokyo dvd is the same date as the archive bluray release.

No, the Tokyo-DVD of Steel-Wheels-Live is from 24-Feb-1990. The From-the-Vault DVD is 26-Feb-1990.

Date: October 3, 2020 17:20

Thank you.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: October 3, 2020 22:07

Stoneage
In the old days, before many of you were born, you got a record. That was it. Then you could discuss the recording here. The sound, the songs and so on. That seems to be history now. Now you discuss which of the one hundred options you opted for. Or which booklet to choose. I got the japanese editon with 35 cd:s, 14 dvd:s, 10 blu-rays, 5 t-shirts and a smaller library of booklets. With a sticker on the sealed cover! There you go...

I'm with you Stoneage,
Just listened on Spotify and what struck me was how engaged Ron is on this tour and this release -- he's essential to the new tracks, Terrifying especially.

It's also such a pleasure to hear the band engage with new material like it matters. Oh, the irony when Mick says, "You can't just keep recycling old songs."

T@3

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: October 3, 2020 22:09

powerage78
I love Sad Sad Sad hot smiley

I heard this in Chicago last tour and was totally impressed. Keith ripped the solo.

T@3

Date: October 3, 2020 22:19

F.Y.I. I know it's not the same show but I ripped the audio from the bonus Tokyo dvd and it sounds noticeably clearer than the Tokyo archive release cd's from 2015.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 3, 2020 22:36

shadooby
F.Y.I. I know it's not the same show but I ripped the audio from the bonus Tokyo dvd and it sounds noticeably clearer than the Tokyo archive release cd's from 2015.
[wardrecords.com]
But I must admit, the release is brickwalled as usual to DR5-6

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 4, 2020 01:28

Just watched this show for the first time in many years. Very nice video/audio. Keith and Ronnie are up front but the Wyman/Watts combo is mixed quite well also. A solid foundation that the other musicians could "walk" on. Bill was a tragic loss. What an awful stage. Balloons for Jagger to play with, stairs for Jagger to run up and down,Jagger doing bizarre mime routines instead of just going with the flow, backup singers distracting from the music with unnecessary lame interactions with the band. The beginning of the end. RIP The Rolling Stones

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: October 4, 2020 03:14

thumbs up

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 4, 2020 18:51

bleedingman
Just watched this show for the first time in many years. Very nice video/audio. Keith and Ronnie are up front but the Wyman/Watts combo is mixed quite well also. A solid foundation that the other musicians could "walk" on. Bill was a tragic loss. What an awful stage. Balloons for Jagger to play with, stairs for Jagger to run up and down,Jagger doing bizarre mime routines instead of just going with the flow, backup singers distracting from the music with unnecessary lame interactions with the band. The beginning of the end. RIP The Rolling Stones
I totally disagree with the second part, although I respect your opinion.
The Stones have continued to do great things, but in a different way as it makes sense.
For example, I find that SF's Fonda live is wonderful and well played, like we haven't seen for some time.
Artists are human and they age, certain things that you could afford as a young man, you can't do them anymore or you have to do them differently.
The Stones have always been able to adapt and this has also led to criticism, but they are interested in doing and continuing to do what they have always done in life and continue to do it with dignity.
I have a friend who is 73 and has seen the Stones in the various stages, it's nice to listen to him and hear the anecdotes, he told me that many fans, considered the Stones finished in the late 60's and they still think so, however the Stones have continued to do wonderful things. This is to say that it is not new that there are fans who consider them dead, however they continue to travel the world and fill stadiums and arenas and sell their music and this is certainly not what you do when you are dead.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 4, 2020 21:09

A MUST since 1989.

But just listening to the audio on tidal hifi I think Charlie's drum is just a big boomy sound. My TSP 10 years anniversary and the Sodd "Terryfing" sound better.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 4, 2020 23:17

Thanks, Testify, for your response. I actually agree that the Stones have remained a viable commodity, certainly still entertaining. But MY Stones ceased to exist around the time this show was filmed. I first saw them in '72 (including Mick's birthday party). Someone offered me tickets behind the dugout for one of the Shea Stadium '89 shows and I declined, something I never thought I'd do. In any case, I'm glad they're still around in whatever incarnation for people to enjoy.

Testify
bleedingman
I totally disagree with the second part, although I respect your opinion.
The Stones have continued to do great things, but in a different way as it makes sense.
For example, I find that SF's Fonda live is wonderful and well played, like we haven't seen for some time.
Artists are human and they age, certain things that you could afford as a young man, you can't do them anymore or you have to do them differently.
The Stones have always been able to adapt and this has also led to criticism, but they are interested in doing and continuing to do what they have always done in life and continue to do it with dignity.
I have a friend who is 73 and has seen the Stones in the various stages, it's nice to listen to him and hear the anecdotes, he told me that many fans, considered the Stones finished in the late 60's and they still think so, however the Stones have continued to do wonderful things. This is to say that it is not new that there are fans who consider them dead, however they continue to travel the world and fill stadiums and arenas and sell their music and this is certainly not what you do when you are dead.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 5, 2020 20:44

The CD/Digital version debuted at #180 on this week's BILLBOARD 200 with 5k, it also debuted at #1 on the Music Videos chart. It is the 4th album to chart on the BILLBOARD 200 in 2020 after Hot Rocks, Honk and Goats Head Soup.

It also debuted at #2 on Germany and #9 in the Netherlands.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: October 5, 2020 21:41

The 1989 Steel Wheels tour remind me a bit of the 1988 Jagger south east tour whereas 1994 sounded less synth driven.

Actually the synth sound of the eighties has very badly aged.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 5, 2020 21:48

Okey, a stupid question: Was it really necessary with two separate synth/keyboard musicians on stage (Clifford, Leavell)? Wasn't one enough?

Date: October 5, 2020 22:35

Stoneage
Okey, a stupid question: Was it really necessary with two separate synth/keyboard musicians on stage (Clifford, Leavell)? Wasn't one enough?

They do completely different things. Leavell never played a synth. He does piano, Rhodes, wurlitzer and hammond organ-sounds.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 5, 2020 23:09

Stoneage

The do this again since 2016! Otherwise we wouldn't be able to enjoy the fake harp on Miss You or the fake choir on YCAGWYW :-)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 5, 2020 23:54

hockenheim95
Stoneage

The do this again since 2016! Otherwise we wouldn't be able to enjoy the fake harp on Miss You or the fake choir on YCAGWYW :-)

Or the fake recorder on Ruby Tuesday.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: October 6, 2020 00:34

hockenheim95
Stoneage

I might be the only person who likes the fake harp on Miss You, but I think it was a good addition on the tour. If Keith isn't gonna play the riff the whole way through, it needs something that cuts through to keep it going, Chuck's Wurlitzer or whatever it is doesn't cut through the mix well enough.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 6, 2020 08:06

24FPS
hockenheim95
Stoneage

At least at Hyde Park Matt Clifford played a real recorder

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: October 6, 2020 11:01

hockenheim95
24FPS
hockenheim95
Stoneage

It's Tim Ries who plays the recorder on Ruby Tuesday in Hyde Park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-06 11:32 by IsakSun.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 6, 2020 12:16

IsakSun
hockenheim95
24FPS
hockenheim95
Stoneage

It's Tim Ries who plays the recorder on Ruby Tuesday in Hyde Park.

And it wasn't a recorder; it was a soprano sax. Sounded pretty good.

Date: October 6, 2020 13:00

Soprano sax indeed. Added nicely to the tune, imo.

Date: October 6, 2020 15:05

How come therollingstonesshop.co.uk wants £18 for the 2CD+DVD when Amazon UK is demanding £45?

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: October 6, 2020 20:19

Matt Clifford's French Horn is great on YCAGWYW.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 6, 2020 20:26

Green Lady
How come therollingstonesshop.co.uk wants £18 for the 2CD+DVD when Amazon UK is demanding £45?
Where did you get £45?
Here is the link to DVD/2CD
[www.amazon.co.uk]
It is £23.98

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: October 6, 2020 20:41

ironbelly
Green Lady
Where did you get £45?
[www.amazon.co.uk]
It is £23.98

It’s a lot cheaper at the official store as they don’t deliver until 2023.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 6, 2020 21:42

tommycharles
hockenheim95
Stoneage

I might be the only person who likes the fake harp on Miss You, but I think it was a good addition on the tour. If Keith isn't gonna play the riff the whole way through, it needs something that cuts through to keep it going, Chuck's Wurlitzer or whatever it is doesn't cut through the mix well enough.

I second that.
My favourite version ist flashpoint with fake harp - AND BILL WYMAN

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 7, 2020 02:59

4th Album to make the Billboard 200 on 2020:

* Hot Rocks (#133, 23 weeks)
* Honk (#163, 1 week)
* Goats Head Soup (#19, 2 weeks)
* Steel Wheels Live (#180, 1 week)

Date: October 7, 2020 19:24

ironbelly
Green Lady
Where did you get £45?
[www.amazon.co.uk]
It is £23.98

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435Next
Current Page: 32 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home