Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435Next
Current Page: 31 of 35
Re: Steel Wheels Live - Atlantic City - out September 25
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 1, 2020 21:18

Watched the whole AC show over the past couple of nights. IMO, the 2nd half or so (starting with Clapton) is much better. It's kind of as close as the Stones got to being a 'Vegas act' in my view - it's all just a bit too slick. In Bowie terms, this was their Glass Spider tour. That said - Keith is very good throughout. I didn't like Mick's hair though- LOL. No one escaped the 80s unscathed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-01 22:01 by DEmerson.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: October 1, 2020 21:49

Watched it too today. I think it sounded great. Nice to hear more guitars than expected from a Steel Wheels show. And the bluray was far from vhs.

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: October 1, 2020 22:50

Played the CD's twice so far and I like the sound. Great show and I really like the concert.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: October 1, 2020 23:45

[/quote]

No, I'm not expecting them to go back to 91 or any of that... I'm just using that as an audio quality reference, which I prefer. Not taking shots at anybody for not sharing my view tho, just my take on it. Some may like it, some may have expected something else/better. 
To me, (and many more from what I've read through this thread), a release from 91 sounds better than the one we got on 2020. 
Doesn't sound right. I feel they could have done such a much better job with it.
Another official release with bootleg quality.
[/quote]

absolutely agree with you. all the recent concert releases have a terrible sound quality (San Jose 99, Miami 94, BA 1998 etc) No idea which sources they used. Even Totally Stripped, originally either recording or mastering done analogically (i don´t remember), compare the Paradiso 26.5. GIMME SHELTER or SFM with the original 1995 releases - what a lousy job on the new releases. That just ain´t no HiFi

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: October 2, 2020 02:22

I just watched it. I really enjoyed it, but it is a bit dated and a but too slick. I agree Keith is really good. Mick is good too but a bit too scripted - he's much better now I think. Its interesting that Ronnie doesn't add much at all...and in fact, he didn't add much for the next 20-odd years until the current post-2012. These days it's a different story - Ronnie is really powering the band these days, and in many ways he now carries Keith.. what I mean is, he really supports Keith and pulls his weight, whereas in the Atlantic City video Keith is definitely carrying Ronnie..

Posted by: gonzalo76 ()
Date: October 2, 2020 06:56

Interesting... the Blu-ray is 6 minutes longer than the digital edition. confused smiley

Blu-ray WAV 24/48 (2:37:49)

Digital FLAC 24/48 (2:31:45)

]

Date: October 2, 2020 09:05

Hi,

what software to you use ?

Date: October 2, 2020 11:06

The Tokyo dvd from the Deluxe set really seems to be ripped from vhs. I wonder what’s the case there. Were the original tapes really not available? The Vault release looks like it should, this certainly does not.

Was this Deluxe Tokyo (24th or 26th, where the hell are the dates from the covers?) filmed as a rehearsal or something?
What’s nice here compared to Atlantic City is that the focus is more on the band (even Bill!) than the stage construction. Yes, it is cool and expensive, but I’d rather watch the players. Pity about the vhs quality.

Date: October 2, 2020 11:15

PLUS Ronnie and Keith were dressed cooler in Tokyo than in AC.
I wonder if Keith looked at Izzy’s down-to-earth clothings and wondered ”damn, I should’ve just worn those!” Izzy looks timeless, Keith a bit 80’s.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: October 2, 2020 11:33

Dorn

all the recent concert releases have a terrible sound quality (San Jose 99, Miami 94, BA 1998 etc) No idea which sources they used. Even Totally Stripped, originally either recording or mastering done analogically (i don´t remember), compare the Paradiso 26.5. GIMME SHELTER or SFM with the original 1995 releases - what a lousy job on the new releases. That just ain´t no HiFi

Some people (not just you Dorn) will never be happy. On this board, it used to be moans about not opening the archives and now they are open, it's moans about the mix, mastering, picture quality, etc. As a Rolling Stones fan of many years standing and I am grateful to get anything from the archives and I want more.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 2, 2020 13:15

gonzalo76
They cut audience between tracks.

Now if one can explain me Dolby Digital logo on CDs from Superdeluxe box.

I shall not buy a misprint or carryover from DVD winking smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 2, 2020 13:30

ironbelly

Maybe that's the Audio-Source for the CDs - a lossy Dolby Digital (visible in a FFT-Analysis) ?? winking smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 2, 2020 15:21

Irix
ironbelly

Maybe that's the Audio-Source for the CDs - a lossy Dolby Digital (visible in a FFT-Analysis) ?? winking smiley
No. It is perfectly OK. It is 16 bit/44.1 kHz CDDA format.

I guess, this is another clue that Paul is dead winking smiley.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 2, 2020 15:40

ironbelly

It is perfectly OK. It is 16 bit/44.1 kHz CDDA format.

That's good. Maybe the CD-print was designed by young people (Generation Streaming) who do not know anymore what a CD is and how the CDDA-logo looks .... winking smiley

Posted by: AV83 ()
Date: October 2, 2020 16:48

Captain Teague
Dorn

all the recent concert releases have a terrible sound quality (San Jose 99, Miami 94, BA 1998 etc) No idea which sources they used. Even Totally Stripped, originally either recording or mastering done analogically (i don´t remember), compare the Paradiso 26.5. GIMME SHELTER or SFM with the original 1995 releases - what a lousy job on the new releases. That just ain´t no HiFi

Some people (not just you Dorn) will never be happy. On this board, it used to be moans about not opening the archives and now they are open, it's moans about the mix, mastering, picture quality, etc. As a Rolling Stones fan of many years standing and I am grateful to get anything from the archives and I want more.

It's cool to get new archive releases of concerts we love, yes.
It's disappointing that some (like this one) sound like this too. It's two different things. And I like some of them. Tokyo 90 sounds incredible, for instance.
What can I say, it's The Rolling Stones.
I expect nothing but flawless audio from an official release from the biggest rock n roll band in the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-02 16:53 by AV83.

Posted by: gonzalo76 ()
Date: October 2, 2020 16:48

Child of the moon
Hi,

what software to you use ?

foobar2000 with DarkOne v4 theme

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 2, 2020 17:35

Maybe they cut out some audience between the songs, and the intro isn't available in the Deezer version for instance. The ending salute isn't interesting either on an audio release...

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 2, 2020 17:38

padre69
The Tokyo dvd from the Deluxe set really seems to be ripped from vhs. I wonder what’s the case there. Were the original tapes really not available? The Vault release looks like it should, this certainly does not.

This is supposed to be a clone of the "From The Vault Extra" Japan-only release from a few years ago. It had the tiger design as a cover.
I think it is the exact same quality, which is not as well reworked as AC or even the worlwide release of the other Tokyo 1990 date

Date: October 2, 2020 19:35

Captain Teague
Dorn

don´t get me wrong, i am not moaning THAT they are opening the archives but if they do - and making the boots we have been collecting for the past decades with lots of passion, spending lots of time, energy and money worthless - they should at leat do it with an outstanding sound quality.

Date: October 2, 2020 20:11

Dorn
don´t get me wrong, i am not moaning THAT they are opening the archives but if they do - and making the boots we have been collecting for the past decades with lots of passion, spending lots of time, energy and money worthless - they should at leat do it with an outstanding sound quality.

Amen to that.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: October 2, 2020 20:21

Captain Teague
Dorn

I could not agree more. We could have the complete MSG and Altamont 69 shows, El Macamambo, etc, etc, and there will still be trolls here complaining about something. It doesn't sound the same, maaaaaaaan.

Date: October 2, 2020 22:53

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make him or her a troll.
They same way nobody told you that you'll swallow whatever they feed you.

Date: October 2, 2020 23:28

Kennedy
Captain Teague
Dorn

I could not agree more. We could have the complete MSG and Altamont 69 shows, El Macamambo, etc, etc, and there will still be trolls here complaining about something. It doesn't sound the same, maaaaaaaan.

pls read my message carefully
complete Altamont 69 and El Macamambo i would love to have released officially (in great sound quality) , simply bec those have not been available in MixingBoard quality so far (like Light The Fuse or Brussels Affair)
i am talking about those releases that are destroying the sentimental and financial value of all the boots we have been buying in the past decades .....

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 2, 2020 23:29

Kennedy
We could have the complete MSG and Altamont 69 shows, El Macamambo

Especially the El Marimba shows should be interesting...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 3, 2020 00:34

>are destroying the sentimental and financial value of all the boots we have been buying

You do understand what a selfish statement that is? Here you have been listening to pirated recordings and holding them up as the standard. Now that they are being released officially, you are complaining that they do not come up to the standards of the illegitimate releases our hosts have been so kind as to allow to exist for all these years (believe me, some do not put up with it kindly).

You should buy the new issues and be happy they are officially available and that you have the luxury of being able to take potshots at them based on what is basically stolen goods.

just sayin.

I am all for the secret recordings of the gig at El Marijuana in Tijuana 1969 later that evening on Dec 6.

jb

Date: October 3, 2020 01:08

padre69

Was this Deluxe Tokyo (24th or 26th, where the hell are the dates from the covers?) filmed as a rehearsal or something?
What’s nice here compared to Atlantic City is that the focus is more on the band (even Bill!) than the stage construction. Yes, it is cool and expensive, but I’d rather watch the players. Pity about the vhs quality.

Yeah I agree - I thought it was a problem with my blu ray player at first...its certainly not HD

Date: October 3, 2020 01:09

john lomax
padre69

Yeah I agree - I thought it was a problem with my blu ray player at first...its certainly not HD

Although I have to say the version of Bitch from Tokyo Done absolutely kicks ass

Posted by: fuwa ()
Date: October 3, 2020 04:14

I enjoy the Blu-ray 2 cd release. I was considering the deluxe set for Play With Fire but decided to get it on the Ruby Tuesday cd maxi single instead. The Last Time/Play With Fire 45 was the first Rolling Stones record I purchased so it is nice to get it live from the Steel Wheels Tour along with this new release.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: October 3, 2020 14:08

If one pays (a lot of) money to get an official release one may expect the creators did their best on making it sound good (dynamics, mastering, seperation).

It's fantastic to finally get an official releases of concerts previously only available on bootlegs, but to not put any passion on a masterfully played concert and not giving it a proper mastering and sound, it comes over as getting easy bucks from the fans.

I agree that the official release of the live recordings from Stripped in 1995 including the b-sides Gimme Shelter, Tumbling Dice, Black Limousine, etc. sounds way better than on Totally Stripped. Stripped in 1995 is more tight and upfront, not too much reverb from the location.

The only thing I love about the Steel Wheels Live, besides the concert itself and for it to be officially released, is the seperation of Ronnie and Keith, who both played fantastic (Undercover, Sad Sad Sad, Sympathy, Mixed Emotions, etc.) but the overall sound is actually really bad. If you listen to the crowd in between the songs, you can hear how bad it actually is. It just does not sound right. I don't know anything about recording sources, but this product at best is a clearer update to the bootleg.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-03 14:11 by Muddyw.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 3, 2020 15:15

DEmerson
...It's kind of as close as the Stones got to being a 'Vegas act' in my view - it's all just a bit too slick.. .

That's how I feel too about the Steel Wheels/ Urban Jungle tour.

It was of course a deliberate effort to sound "more like the record" than they had done before on stage but, for me and though the shows were still great to attend, they came over a little too much like their own tribute act.

Subsequent tours regained a little bit of that rough 'n' ready character that some of us love so much.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435Next
Current Page: 31 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home