Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 35
Re: Steel Wheels Live - Atlantic City - out September 25
Posted by: caoutchouc ()
Date: September 29, 2020 19:47

Hello. Not at all? I repeat on the Blu Ray the sound is very good but not on the LP's. And for me this the problem of these "from the vaults"!For example : Listen the Sticky Fingers live at the Fonda Theater : The sound of CD's is muddy but not with the Bluray. The questions is : what is the sound track used for vinyl and CD? I've an "audiophile vintage" system" : McIntosh and amplifiers, JBL monitors 4343 etc. The sound on Atlantic City Swinging Pig LP's box bootleg is more loud, the voices are less projected, forward, the bass more present ... but I repeat the sound on the Blu Ray is excellent, I just don't understand the work carried out on the CD's?

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: September 29, 2020 19:51

jbwelda
>facing away from the front of house.

And presumably miked into the PA?

Thats news to me. Why would they even do that, the fake amps I mean? For ambience's sake? Seems very stupid, a lot of work for zero benefit.

jb

Correct, mic’d into the p.a.

In terms of why do it at all - why have lights? Why have big inflatable dolls? Why have a bridge? They do what they think will add to the presentation, and for some groups having a big visible backline is part of that.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: September 29, 2020 19:57

jbwelda

Thats news to me. Why would they even do that, the fake amps I mean? For ambience's sake? Seems very stupid, a lot of work for zero benefit.

jb

Yes, of course. See: KISS

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 29, 2020 20:39

Just got my superdeluxe.
I must admit that Rare Reels were mastered by big fun of Bill Wyman. I would say - a bit too much bass.

Posted by: frtylicks ()
Date: September 29, 2020 21:47

Would anybody be nice enough to post the Rare Reels and/or the Japan show from the special edition. I only ordered the 2 CD version. Thanks

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 22:06

frtylicks
Would anybody be nice enough to post the Rare Reels and/or the Japan show from the special edition. I only ordered the 2 CD version. Thanks

Really???? Go buy it..it's not sold out or only available via import which could justify such questions

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 29, 2020 22:27

Talking only about the CDs:
It´s an upgrade to the boots, so I´m thankful.
But it´s the same if you compare Street fighting man from stripped deluxe to Street fighting man from Stripped: Why did they do a so much better job in the 90s - mixing-wise?
The band is not upfront, all that reverb, crowd-noise too loud...
In the 90s they did it clear upfront, maybe a bit to clean but miles better.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 29, 2020 22:30

deardoctor
Talking only about the CDs:
It´s an upgrade to the boots, so I´m thankful.
But it´s the same if you compare Street fighting man from stripped deluxe to Street fighting man from Stripped: Why did they do a so much better job in the 90s - mixing-wise?
The band is not upfront, all that reverb, crowd-noise too loud...
In the 90s they did it clear upfront, maybe a bit to clean but miles better.

In the 90s (and before) they mixed music for HiFi systems, now they mix everything for earphones…

Posted by: frtylicks ()
Date: September 29, 2020 22:46

hockenheim95, thank you for the reply. I didnt want to mention that my daughter has had to go to the doctor several times and money was a little scarce. Please be considerate of people's circumstances before you reply without thinking.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 29, 2020 23:14

I always thought I hated the '89/90 Stones - to glossy, to few guitars, you know the deal.

Just listened to TD from this new set - wow! That's a big production but it works well, the horns, the back up singers, but nothing overwhelming some amazing, driving guitar work, and Jags sounding so soulful and in control. EDIT: I've been listening more - Terrifying, YCAGWYW, Sir Michael is ON FIRE!

'Are you ready Keith?'

I'm just gonna have to play it again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-29 23:29 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: September 29, 2020 23:14

Hi Folks,

I know next-to-nowt about this stuff, but I do remember reading that Geddy Lee dispensed with onstage speakers and amps by 1992, save for some sub-woofers or similar to give a physical vibration/rumble:

"Geddy dispensed with traditional bass amplifiers in favor of the already mentioned DI units and in ear monitors. Faced with the dilemma of what to do with the empty space left behind by amplifier cabinets, Geddy chose to decorate his side of the stage with unusual items.

Starting off with a fridge
A workable vending machine
Maytag spin dryers – which would rotate during the show.The band would empty the dryers and throw t-shirts into the crowd.
Then Henhouse brand Chicken Rotisseries which was miked up for comic effect.
Lastly the Time machine tour in 2010 saw the introduction of the the “Geddison”. A steampunk-inspired Time Machine and Sausage Maker combo A second iteration of the Geddison returned in 2012 on the Clockwork Angels tour and this time made popcorn on stage."

Gotta love that, hah-hah! I read that Metallica's amps onstage are all dummies too (do your own gags here...). I am sure they are far from the only bands that have gone down this route. Anyway, sorry for the digression!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 23:17

Best ever version is terrifying on vgp

thumbs upRe: Steel Wheels Live - Atlantic City - out September 25
Posted by: quarkie ()
Date: September 29, 2020 23:19

SimonN
Hi Folks,

I know next-to-nowt about this stuff, but I do remember reading that Geddy Lee dispensed with onstage speakers and amps by 1992, save for some sub-woofers or similar to give a physical vibration/rumble:

"Geddy dispensed with traditional bass amplifiers in favor of the already mentioned DI units and in ear monitors. Faced with the dilemma of what to do with the empty space left behind by amplifier cabinets, Geddy chose to decorate his side of the stage with unusual items.

Starting off with a fridge
A workable vending machine
Maytag spin dryers – which would rotate during the show.The band would empty the dryers and throw t-shirts into the crowd.
Then Henhouse brand Chicken Rotisseries which was miked up for comic effect.
Lastly the Time machine tour in 2010 saw the introduction of the the “Geddison”. A steampunk-inspired Time Machine and Sausage Maker combo A second iteration of the Geddison returned in 2012 on the Clockwork Angels tour and this time made popcorn on stage."

Gotta love that, hah-hah! I read that Metallica's amps onstage are all dummies too (do your own gags here...). I am sure they are far from the only bands that have gone down this route. Anyway, sorry for the digression!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: September 29, 2020 23:23

great show everythings is alright

I don't know what should be wrong with it somehow

Date: September 29, 2020 23:24

too many guitars ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-29 23:29 by quarkie.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: September 29, 2020 23:51

jbwelda

jb
Its easier to have a good sound on stage that way.Also theres a risk that the singer cant hear its singing with the super loud guitar amps ect. Also a risk of not hearing the drummer if the guitars are too loud.
This is mainly a stadium problem.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: September 30, 2020 00:00

fuwa
How is the sound quality on CD 3? I would like to know so I can decide whether to purchase the deluxe edition. 2 conflicting posts so far.

Its ok, quite boomy/reverb heavy, but nothing shocking.

Id say quality is like a typical soundboard bootleg.

Date: September 30, 2020 00:03

Good quality (all bootlegs are worse) Sound is good (for me) no exaggerated synthesizer

Date: September 30, 2020 00:05

I think the sound mixers of the Roling Stones know what reverb is, etc

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 30, 2020 00:07

Wow....I watched the Blu-Ray last night and listened to the CDs over the last couple days....and after decades of listening to Swinging Pig, this was a great improvement. I've listened to this show countless times over the years, so the mixing changes were clear, which sometimes made me feel like "hey, what???" but for the most part it was a positive "hey, what".....like a hey, what...whoa! cool smiley

for the video....I've seen it soooooooo many times that I swear I picked up a few places where shots were switched out. Also noticed this with the Miami release (as compared to the original pay-per-view, but there were a few more with that one). I don't know, I'll have to check my VHS, but I swear there is some of that with Atlantic City too. Not a big deal, but it's weird, as the initial shot were fine as I recall (i.e. not a jittering camera, etc.) With Miami I understood it, at least in one case....as one of the switched out shots was during Honky Tonk Women when a fan pulled her shirt up.

Overall though, so great to finally have an official document of this great show...and with louder guitars...AMEN!

Date: September 30, 2020 00:11

I don't know, I'll have to check my VHS, but I swear there is some of that with Atlantic City too. Not a big deal,

Yes that's the trues

Date: September 30, 2020 00:13

a really famous concert (great guest) Top

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 30, 2020 00:46

ironbelly
Just got my superdeluxe.
I must admit that Rare Reels were mastered by big fun of Bill Wyman. I would say - a bit too much bass.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now I know I'm not losing it. Mine was so awful and distorted all to hell I sent it back to Amazon and got a replacement, I figured must be a defective cd, same freakin thing!!! I should've just settled for the not so super-dee-duper just-gotta-have-it edition. Do the people who do the mastering even sit down and listen to these brickwalled cd's on a decent sound system before hitting the send button to the manufacturing department to go ahead a make the final pressings for eternity???...WHOEVER MASTERED RARE REELS OUGHT TO BE TAKEN OUT BEHIND THE GYM...COME ON MAN!!!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-30 01:03 by shadooby.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 30, 2020 00:59

sorry to continue OT, but I didn't have a problem believing there were not big amps on stage anymore, what i had a problem believing was that they would then put PHONY amps (by that I presume empty speaker cabinets, no actual speakers inside) in their stead. But, you know, I didn't consider outfits like KISS, who are pure theatre anyhow. I totally understand how you do not want to be standing in front of a blaring Marshall stack if you can help it.

And I understand wanting it to look like you're all Spinal Tap and shit to your head banging fans. Kind of a pussy move though, and I think Jimi would agree even if Ginger would not.

Just sayin.

jb

Date: September 30, 2020 01:54

I look for nothing It is a very cool BluRay

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: September 30, 2020 04:44

I wonder why they would censor their own release of someone pulling their top up it’s not like it’s being shown on TV.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 30, 2020 05:06

donvis
I wonder why they would censor their own release of someone pulling their top up it’s not like it’s being shown on TV.

True, yeah I know...but I can see why they might do that if they are trying to clean it up, whereas some of these other shot switchouts don't seem to have any reason at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-30 05:09 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 30, 2020 05:32

Seems they are going for a G rating. Which is pretty ridiculous right on the face of it. No tits, no ass, no drugs, no cigarettes, no alcohol, no fires, no fun...

jb

Posted by: AV83 ()
Date: September 30, 2020 05:35

shadooby
ironbelly
Just got my superdeluxe.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now I know I'm not losing it. Mine was so awful and distorted all to hell I sent it back to Amazon and got a replacement, I figured must be a defective cd, same freakin thing!!! I should've just settled for the not so super-dee-duper just-gotta-have-it edition. Do the people who do the mastering even sit down and listen to these brickwalled cd's on a decent sound system before hitting the send button to the manufacturing department to go ahead a make the final pressings for eternity???...WHOEVER MASTERED RARE REELS OUGHT TO BE TAKEN OUT BEHIND THE GYM...COME ON MAN!!!

oh but "it's wrong to call it a bootleg quality release".
Dead flowers from Toronto?
Has anybody listened to that?
Say you like the mix, come on I double dare you.

Posted by: AV83 ()
Date: September 30, 2020 05:37

rebelhipi
fuwa
How is the sound quality on CD 3? I would like to know so I can decide whether to purchase the deluxe edition. 2 conflicting posts so far.

Its ok, quite boomy/reverb heavy, but nothing shocking.

Id say quality is like a typical soundboard bootleg.

.... Aaaand counting

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1636
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home