Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 35
Re: Steel Wheels Live - Atlantic City - out September 25
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 29, 2020 00:31

Keith’s guitar sound on is way too saturated, as it is on the bootlegs, but what comes in, gets out. Besides that, I think the overall sound of this is pretty good.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: September 29, 2020 01:16

Bob Clearmountain is a miracle worker.

Steel Wheels, until now, has been my least favorite modern tour. This mix corrects everything I disliked about the 89 sound.

Keith and Ronnie's guitars dominate, as should be the case. Always.

This is like listening to a completely different tour, and this might be my new favorite Stones show.

Date: September 29, 2020 01:20

AV83
Well, it may be wrong for you.
Certainly not for me.
The last live official release from an old concert that I can recall, that sounds the way it should is Totally Stripped.

It's ok that you don't like the mix. That doesn't mean that it isn't professionally done. There are certain standards here that a bootleg will never meet. So, yes, it's wrong that this show is bootleg quality.

San Jose also sounds pretty good, imo, btw.

Posted by: AV83 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 01:36

It may meet compression and volume standards, but that doesn't make it right.
The end result, to me, is a bootleg quality release.
Same deal with Voodoo Lounge Uncut, Bremen and Buenos Aires.
I agree that San José is very good tho, forgot about that one.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 29, 2020 01:45

I love Ronnie's guitar solo on Terrifying!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 29, 2020 03:00

Testify

Just sayin' or willin' to testify?

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: September 29, 2020 09:37

Hello Friends. Does someone have a scan of new Stones DVD or BluRay cover or can help a friend locate one please?

Date: September 29, 2020 09:37

AV83

This release sounds lightyears better than VL Miami to my ears.

In the mix it's the sound, balance and tone of each instrument that takes it way above bootleg quality.

It may be a "quicker" mix, like Totally Stripped and the others you mention - aka they set the levels, frequencies and tones for the whole concert, but don't work as much with the individual songs, like they did on Flashpoint, for instance (it could be debated whether they worked on those songs "too much", though).

And I've heard worse brickwalling than on Atlantic City. BTW, Have you been listening to the vinyl or the CD? I have the vinyl. It has happened on some of these releases that the CD has sounded dubious, while the vinyl sounded good.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 10:18

I love Sad Sad Sad hot smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 29, 2020 10:35

midimannz

Does someone have a scan of new Stones DVD or BluRay cover or can help a friend locate one please?

No Cover-Scan, but an BR+2CD Unboxing-Video: [www.YouTube.com] . Unboxing of the 6-Disc-set: [www.YouTube.com] .

BR+2CD Front-Cover by Amazon , Rear-Cover by Amazon.

DVD by Amazon , Front-Cover by Amazon , Rear-Cover by Amazon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-29 11:10 by Irix.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 29, 2020 10:46

DandelionPowderman
AV83

This release sounds lightyears better than VL Miami to my ears.

In the mix it's the sound, balance and tone of each instrument that takes it way above bootleg quality.

It may be a "quicker" mix, like Totally Stripped and the others you mention - aka they set the levels, frequencies and tones for the whole concert, but don't work as much with the individual songs, like they did on Flashpoint, for instance (it could be debated whether they worked on those songs "too much", though).

And I've heard worse brickwalling than on Atlantic City. BTW, Have you been listening to the vinyl or the CD? I have the vinyl. It has happened on some of these releases that the CD has sounded dubious, while the vinyl sounded good.

Totally agree. It sounds way better than any old boot. Separation is much better, compression is much less, it just sounds very fine now. And bear in mind: this is 1989, where all big bands sounded like this. Remember, there's like 37 people playing on stage during a track like Tumbling Dice -try to mix that properly. Also, the guitar rigs they used were also very 80's in style, with the Twins, Marshall's and Boogie's routed through 800 watt Crown power amps. It's ridiculous these days, but those were the days....

Mathijs

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 29, 2020 10:54

Mathijs

Also, the guitar rigs they used were also very 80's in style, with the Twins, Marshall's and Boogie's routed through 800 watt Crown power amps. It's ridiculous these days, but those were the days....

Mathijs

Hi, Mathijs. I've enjoyed reading your expertise for years, now. Could you elaborate a little more on your point? Why, exactly, would this set-up be 'ridiculous', now? Also, how different is their set-up today? I know a little about guitars, but less so about amplifiers and 'rig set-ups'

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 29, 2020 11:21

Big Al
Mathijs

Also, the guitar rigs they used were also very 80's in style, with the Twins, Marshall's and Boogie's routed through 800 watt Crown power amps. It's ridiculous these days, but those were the days....

Mathijs

Hi, Mathijs. I've enjoyed reading your expertise for years, now. Could you elaborate a little more on your point? Why, exactly, would this set-up be 'ridiculous', now? Also, how different is their set-up today? I know a little about guitars, but less so about amplifiers and 'rig set-ups'

Guitar rigs these days have become very simple, mainly due to the fact that stage amplification has evolved so much. Stage side fills, in-ears, monitoring etc have become so much better and powerful in the digital world, that most rock bands do not even have amps on stage. Most big bands have an amp backstage that's miked, and use in-ears or good monitoring to hear the mix. For most bands, the amps you see onstage are all fake, or simply not in use.

The Stones are a bit more conventional, but Keith's rig is not much more than a high power Tweed Twin, a wireless, some power conditioning and just a few effects. The setup he used on the 1989/1990 tour was the Twin, a Marshall or Soldano, a Boogie, and all that slaved through an insane 800 watt Crown power amp, through two 4*12 Boogie Cabs. The volume on stage must have been devastating.

Mathijs

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 29, 2020 11:41

Thanks, Mathijs.

Yes, once can imagine how loud it must've been on stage during that tour. Keith's volume was particularly high, seemingly.

I also concur with a point you made in a previous posting of yours: 1989-90 really was Keith's peak in a live-setting.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 29, 2020 13:24

I have had forever a copy from the monitor feed with the run time on it that was pristine in audio and video quality and I will have to compare the new release with it .

Posted by: caoutchouc ()
Date: September 29, 2020 14:19

Sound on vinyl and CD's for this new issu? Always the same problem! Blu ray or DVD sound terrific but transcription on vinyle/CD is a shame! Muddy without flesh etc.

Date: September 29, 2020 14:23

My vinyl copy does NOT sound muddy. All the instruments are extremely clear in the mix for such a big lineup of musicians. I can't fathom that you can't hear the instruments loud and clear.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 29, 2020 14:25

maybe he doesnt have the amp turned on ....
just gettin the rumble thru the sub-woofer ....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 29, 2020 14:39

grinning smiley

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 29, 2020 14:51

Big Al
Thanks, Mathijs.

Yes, once can imagine how loud it must've been on stage during that tour. Keith's volume was particularly high, seemingly.

I also concur with a point you made in a previous posting of yours: 1989-90 really was Keith's peak in a live-setting.

Speaking of loudness, as much as I loved the 89 Steel Wheels tour for the Stones musicality, tightness, and professionalism that they brought, I saw them in Syracuse, NY at the Carrier Dome which sounds like a roller rink in there (worst place to hear music), and my ears were ringing for days! At that time, it was the single loudest concert I had ever attended. (Even though most of my hearing returned) I seriously believe I suffered residual hearing loss as a result. I then made it a policy to wear ear plugs at future concerts from that moment on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-29 14:54 by Sighunt.

Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: September 29, 2020 16:27

Terribly disappointing mix on the CD.

First song out of the box, 'Start Me Up' merely has the mid range cranked high with the bass almost fully suppressed. All of the richness and smoothness of the original FM broadcast, and 'Tattoo You' release for that matter, is gone and sound is raw and not cohesive. Really amateurish job in the remix.

'Tattoo You' is the last great mix this band ever had.

Date: September 29, 2020 16:34

The sound is great IMO... (Deezer / Sonos).

Posted by: AV83 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 16:37

BTW, Axl's performance on SOTT is just flawless.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 16:54

Sighunt
Big Al
Thanks, Mathijs.

Speaking of loudness, as much as I loved the 89 Steel Wheels tour for the Stones musicality, tightness, and professionalism that they brought, I saw them in Syracuse, NY at the Carrier Dome which sounds like a roller rink in there (worst place to hear music), and my ears were ringing for days! At that time, it was the single loudest concert I had ever attended. (Even though most of my hearing returned) I seriously believe I suffered residual hearing loss as a result. I then made it a policy to wear ear plugs at future concerts from that moment on.

I was at that Syracuse show too. My joy at seeing the Stones again with that great stage and incredible energy was a bit tempered by the incredibly loud sound. I had already been to many concerts (Stones, Zeppelin, The Who) and this was the loudest by far. Also had ringing in my ears for days, worried about hearing loss and now wear musicians ear plugs.

Saw them a few weeks later upfront at Shea Stadium and was better prepared. Still remember how much fun those shows were for the crowd. So many smiles and incredulous looks after the concert. People (including the critics and media) were blown away by those shows. So lucky to be a Rolling Stones fan.

Date: September 29, 2020 17:02

Loudness ? grinning smiley
Come on, it's not AC/DC or Motorhead anyway smiling smiley

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 29, 2020 17:05

retired_dog
Testify

Just sayin' or willin' to testify?
It is really cool!
I like both the overall sound and how the band performed at this concert. They were truly flawless here!
I like to hear Wood high in the mix, which sadly hasn't happened for years. Hear her slide in Salt Of The Earth or LRR etc. a really nice experience.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: September 29, 2020 19:14

GS1978
Sighunt
Big Al
Thanks, Mathijs.

I was at that Syracuse show too. My joy at seeing the Stones again with that great stage and incredible energy was a bit tempered by the incredibly loud sound. I had already been to many concerts (Stones, Zeppelin, The Who) and this was the loudest by far. Also had ringing in my ears for days, worried about hearing loss and now wear musicians ear plugs.

Saw them a few weeks later upfront at Shea Stadium and was better prepared. Still remember how much fun those shows were for the crowd. So many smiles and incredulous looks after the concert. People (including the critics and media) were blown away by those shows. So lucky to be a Rolling Stones fan.

That was my memory from the Oakland shows too. Between the volume and the crowd frenzy, it wasn't until the end of Bitch that I could start processing the music and follow along. It was all just chaos until then. Great chaos of course. It's what surprised me the most about all the recordings from the tour. The sound/mix did not come close to capturing the raw energy and excitement of the show.

Until now.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 29, 2020 19:20

I doubt very much bands have "fake" amplifier cabinets on stage.

Here is what keef was using in 2007 in Copenhagen, Ronnie had a similar rack next to this one.

jb

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: September 29, 2020 19:26

jbwelda
I doubt very much bands have "fake" amplifier cabinets on stage.

jb

Oh they definitely do. Green Day’s rig rundown here shows that the cabs on stage are fake and the real amps are way behind the drums, facing away from the front of house.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 29, 2020 19:30

>facing away from the front of house.

And presumably miked into the PA?

Thats news to me. Why would they even do that, the fake amps I mean? For ambience's sake? Seems very stupid, a lot of work for zero benefit.

jb

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2090
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home