Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 35
Re: Steel Wheels Live - Atlantic City - out September 25
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 27, 2020 00:26

I think this is a great release, but don't compare the Flashpoint audio with this one, one thing is a live album, where the individual tracks are processed as they always do in post production, here they just improve the whole of the audio and to turn up some channels that were buried in the mix, such as Wood's guitar, which sounds loud and clear here, and it's a pleasure to hear it, as it sounded really good, like the whole band.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: September 27, 2020 00:35

Watched the blu ray this afternoon. It's way better than all the bootlegs: better picture and also better sound.

To compare it with Flashpoint is useless, because the recordings from that album were heavy overdubbed and edited in the studio.
The Stones sounded great in 1989/1990 but they sounded nowhere as good and clear as on Flashpoint.
The Undercover b-site was also prepared for Flashpoint, but in the end didn't make the album.

Posted by: AV83 ()
Date: September 27, 2020 01:52

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, I'm not comparing this to the whole Flashpoint album.
What I'm saying is, there's a song in Flashpoint from this Atlantic City concert (Little Red Rooster).
Aaaaand the version featured in Flashpoint has NO overdubs.
All that I'm talking about is the way it is mixed and sounds.
It's the same version, mixed differently.
What's played and what you hear on both of them is the same.
But the one on Flashpoint sounds crystal clear, and the mix on this one is muddy, the drums and vocals sound terrible.
A shame really, it could have sounded just like the Tokyo 1990 releases and it would have been awesome.
Go play em back to back and you'll get what I say.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-27 01:55 by AV83.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 27, 2020 02:06

The Rare Wheels Bonus CD is an absolute ear bleeding mess. I simply cannot believe it was even ok'd for release.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 27, 2020 02:37

AV83
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, I'm not comparing this to the whole Flashpoint album.
What I'm saying is, there's a song in Flashpoint from this Atlantic City concert (Little Red Rooster).
But the one on Flashpoint sounds crystal clear, and the mix on this one is muddy, the drums and vocals sound terrible.
A shame really, it could have sounded just like the Tokyo 1990 releases and it would have been awesome.
I understand what you mean, but as I said for the Flashpoint album they took every single track (drums, guitar a and bass b etc.) and remodeled them to sound a certain way. This is a practice that was often done to make the album more effective. Here, however, there is none of this, at the limit the general audio is reshaped and some tracks are raised, which were too low.
A job similar to Flashpoint would cost a lot and I don't think many would like it, because it would sound too much like a recording studio. But I understand your point of view ....

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 27, 2020 02:42

OK, another satisfied customer!

mind giving us a more detailed review of that third disk?

jb

Posted by: slowhand ()
Date: September 27, 2020 03:00

AV83

The Little Red Rooster mix on Flashpoint is very good, no doubt, to me, the difference is that Charlie and especially Chuck are more prominent in the mix compared to the new release. That doesn’t make the new mix bad, just different. For you to say the new mix sounds terrible is wrong, Charlie and Mick don’t sound bad and the mix isn’t muddy, you’re in the minority on this one. You expect them to go back to a 1991 CD release with one song from Atlantic City on it and mix the whole show like that, or you want them to mix it like Tokyo, a completely different show, it doesn’t work that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-27 04:53 by slowhand.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 27, 2020 03:32

I was comparing UOTN to the B-side just as a matter of fact, sound wise, since it's from this show (along with Sad Sad Sad and Little Red Rooster).

Whatever compelled whoever to make the B-side sound more like the studio version is fortunately not on ATLANTIC CITY.

I like the rumbly live sound of this release whereas FLASHPOINT sounds way too clean, their worst sounding live album at this point, even though it's a really good job.

Date: September 27, 2020 09:31

AV83

Couldn't disagree more. It's not muddy. It's sounds live. The problem with Little Red Rooster lies within the performance, imo. It's too clean on Flashpoint.

You can also compare Sad Sad Sad from Flashpoint with this version (also from this show). Finally, we get to hear Mick start the song, and not Chuck smiling smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 27, 2020 10:20

Ah Bill bass, what a thrill.
Keith is great.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: September 27, 2020 12:21

jbwelda
OK, another satisfied customer!

mind giving us a more detailed review of that third disk?

jb

The bonus disc is outstanding. Crisp, clear sound, well mixed. Great choice of tracks, but too few of them.

Also nice that Amazon has a policy of refunding pre-order costs to lowest price before release date. Those who paid $100 should be getting $40 refund.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Date: September 27, 2020 12:47

Further on the bonus disc:

Almost hear you sigh has way better sound quality than the 7th of July boot. I Just Want to Make Love To You has better sound quality than the same song on the Highwire CD Single.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 27, 2020 14:01

I compared mine too. I must have a defective cd it's that bad. It's going back.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: September 27, 2020 14:11

BOBM
Further on the bonus disc:

Almost hear you sigh has way better sound quality than the 7th of July boot. I Just Want to Make Love To You has better sound quality than the same song on the Highwire CD Single.
Why compare it with the 7th of July bootleg if it’s from July 6th ?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 27, 2020 16:00

I love it! It's a lot more feistier than the Tokyo performances.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: September 27, 2020 16:07

cd dvd and bluray labels are different from deluxe superbox.

Date: September 27, 2020 17:13

Mabru

Why compare it with the 7th of July bootleg if it’s from July 6th ?

UMMMM to compare quality of a show mentioned in the thread to the new release ?

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: September 27, 2020 18:34

Why is there such a difference in price for 6 disc steel wheels live.... 45GBP.... whereas goats head soup super deluxe 95 or 105 GBP?
I'm very interested in buying the steel wheels live set, but will hangfire to see if ghs comes down in price

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 27, 2020 19:00

shadooby
RobertJohnson
einte
Same problem here images freeze several times on SD Blu-Ray
No problem with the dvd

I just sent my deluxe-package back to Amazon. I hope that the replacement will contain a running Blu-Ray.

Check the play side to see if it's scratched. Before I opened mine I noticed something bouncing around in the box, I figured it was marbles like in the Pink Floyd Immersion sets or something only to find that 3 of my discs were dancing around loose in the box after coming out of the useless cardboard sleeves. Wouldn't ya know 2 had obvious scratches. I'm gonna spend the rest of the weekend listening and viewing then decide if it's going back to amazon. How freakin' disappointing especially since I've ben looking forward to this one for 2 months!!!
yawning smileyangry smileyconfused smileythumbs downthumbs down

No bouncing here. But I saw something like a fingerprint on the play side. It couldn't be mine own, since I pulled out the disc with a paper handkerchief. It is the first time in 18 years that I had to return a package to Amazon. The replacement will come in the next days. Hopefully it is only a single misprint or damage and not a faulty production line.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 27, 2020 19:08

In my experience, fingerprints or small scratches make no difference on CDs, DVDs or probably bluray disks. Error correction takes care of a lot of it. If you disk is skipping or stalling it is more likely because of major, visible damage or the disk is just plain defective. Usually coming out of a sleeve and bouncing around a little inside the packaging has little effect.

What I would like to know is the difference in opinion about this third disk. One says its unlistenable (apparently due to the mastering) while another raves that it is the best thing ever (aside from not enough music). Is this all just personal opinion and the difference between a low and a high tolerance for ear bleedin' mastering? Just seems rather strange the major polarization of listening experience.

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 27, 2020 19:21

jbwelda
In my experience, fingerprints or small scratches make no difference on CDs, DVDs or probably bluray disks. Error correction takes care of a lot of it. If you disk is skipping or stalling it is more likely because of major, visible damage or the disk is just plain defective. Usually coming out of a sleeve and bouncing around a little inside the packaging has little effect.

What I would like to know is the difference in opinion about this third disk. One says its unlistenable (apparently due to the mastering) while another raves that it is the best thing ever (aside from not enough music). Is this all just personal opinion and the difference between a low and a high tolerance for ear bleedin' mastering? Just seems rather strange the major polarization of listening experience.

jb

I've had a lot of CDs and DVDs not play because of a smudge or scratch. What Blueray discs I have I've been much more careful with.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 27, 2020 20:35

Top five best Stones Tours.The guitars were great ,especially Keith.Keith wa amazing on this tour.Looking forward to getting this.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: September 27, 2020 20:57

It was the Stones back into live business and they were seriously on top. Ok, Voodoo Lounge Tour was even better.

The Atlantic City PPV is in my top five favourite concert.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 27, 2020 21:00

ds1984
It was the Stones back into live business and they were seriously on top. Ok, Voodoo Lounge Tour was even better.

They are still on top....always were....always will be....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-27 22:33 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 27, 2020 22:26

Got the Deluxe edition today two days after I ordered it from Amazon. They offered it for $62.00 with free shipping. I really like this release (including the packaging). I think the picture quality and music sound great on my system. Also, I do hear more prominent guitars in the mix. This was one of my favorite shows (and all time best tours-the Stones were tight as hell and delivered the goods!) and it is great to have it as an official release.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-28 18:22 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 27, 2020 22:33

ds1984

The band was better on Steel Wheels Tour than Voodoo Lounge.Jones was a minus from Bill.Keith never played better than he did on Steel Wheels tour

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-27 22:34 by Taylor1.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 27, 2020 22:38

GasLightStreet
jbwelda

jb

I've had a lot of CDs and DVDs not play because of a smudge or scratch. What Blueray discs I have I've been much more careful with.
Scratches are different and effect they produce too.
Radial are less dangerous than sector.
Scratches to the label are more dangerous than to the play side. It is because the reflective layer is protected by paint only from the label side.
Pinholes and defects are more dangerous to DVD and Bluray because the characteristic size of one bit is smaller. I.e. small defect will affect Bluray in the first place, then - DVD and CD in the last place.

Also, sometimes defects are not caused by scratches but by production. I.e. they are there due to faulty moulding process (irregular cooling or something like that) As a result the digital content is there but is in the wrong places. These could possibly pass through factory quality control. But some players just can not track and correct properly. These are not visible to the eyes. Thus - skips and freezing on absolutely perfect discs.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 27, 2020 23:21

Taylor1
ds1984

The band was better on Steel Wheels Tour than Voodoo Lounge.Jones was a minus from Bill.Keith never played better than he did on Steel Wheels tour

thumbs up Agreed!

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 27, 2020 23:53

Sighunt
Taylor1
ds1984

thumbs up Agreed!

Naw. Dont believe it. He was way better during the Voodoo Lounge tour.

Posted by: fuwa ()
Date: September 28, 2020 00:19

How is the sound quality on CD 3? I would like to know so I can decide whether to purchase the deluxe edition. 2 conflicting posts so far.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1774
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home